Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Heskie posted:

I have nothing really to to say about this article but some of you might have a laugh/rage over it:

http://codeofrob.com/entries/you-have-ruined-javascript.html

The arguments can be applied to any language and the abuse and misapplication of programming patterns. And it certainly isn't unique to enterprise level software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I've kind of poked my head in here a little bit before. I'm not a web developer, by any stretch of the imagination. And javascript is far removed from what I typically do day-to-day at my job. That said, I've been researching the various MV* frameworks because I am looking to build a desktop first node-webkit or atom-shell based application. I say "desktop first" because the initial plan is to get a standalone desktop application up and running but with the possibility of supporting a web deployed and in-browser build of the application far in the future. Really my focus is on a stand alone desktop app via node-webkit or atom-shell though.

My head is kind of exploding with all of the different frameworks but I think I've narrowed my options down to either:
1. React
2. Knockout
3. Vue

Unless I've missed discussion on it, I haven't seen anyone here mention Vue before and I was curious what people's thoughts on it were. It seems to incorporate some of the better ideas between Knockout and Angular.

I'm hoping someone could give me some better direction. As in "you are writing a node-webkit based desktop app? Then use XYZ because it is meant to work best in that kind of environment". Personally I'm more drawn to something like Knockout or Vue because I have a C# background with WPF/XAML (which uses MVVM heavily). I'm leaning towards Vue just because it seems to be Knockout but better. But the immaturity is definitely unattractive, even if it is developed by a Google employee. Knockout on the other hand seems to have more history and a bit more proven, but I don't need IE6 or Blackberry levels of backwards compatibility and it leaves me wondering if its API suffers a bit because of it.

Thanks for any thoughts.