Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
All the courses on Udemy are :10bux: each for a few more days. Has anyone taken any of them, and are they worth it? If so, do you have recommendations? I'm most interested in React, Angular, and Vue courses, but I'm open to anything JS or Python if it's a really fantastic course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

ddiddles posted:

I cant recommend Anthony Alicea's courses enough. He has a full course on Angular, though I havent taken it yet. I've done his Javascript course and am currently doing his node.js course, and they are great.

https://www.udemy.com/user/anthonypalicea/

I got his node.js course cause of your recommendation in another thread, but then I was busy last night and forgot to get anything else before the sale ended :saddowns:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Horn posted:

I want to be able to use cool things like the spread operator and my understanding is that this required transpiling with babel. This is obviously not my forte so I could be off.

Node added ES6 support several versions ago, there’s no need for a transpiler on your backend. You can check the status of various features here.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you haven't previously been employed as a web developer, though... is there maybe something else that would work going under the experience category for a resume?

I put personal projects on my resume when I started out. Networking is the most important thing as a brand new dev, though. Go to meetups and make friends with people. There’s a new dev/how to get hired thread in this forum somewhere but I don’t have a link cause I’m phone posting. Lots of good advice in there.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gay Retard posted:

Any advice for somebody with a lot of UI/UX research and design experience who is looking to dip their toes more into the development side of front-end to help pad their resume? I know my way around Python, and have decent knowledge in networking in general, as well as a Masters in UI/UX research and design, but I still feel like my technical skills could be improved.

HTML/CSS/JS. Ideally learn those to an intermediate level then pick a framework (probably React or Vue) and learn that. There's a lot of tooling around CI/CD, building/packaging, etc, but I think with your background you'd be ok with just learning Git, and maybe the basics of Webpack and NPM scripts

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mitztronic posted:

You can find a billion tutorials on medium for setting up a basic react app and then you can build some pages into it with your design experience. I would just start there (basic thing running) and then decide what you want to do.

Edit: Facebook also has good react tutorials if you don’t wanna use medium (which I wouldn’t blame you for)

What's wrong with Medium? Or do you just mean the tutorials are hit or miss?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Looks good to me as well. iPhone 11, ios 15.2

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

canoshiz posted:

Can you PM me which company this is? I'm interested in doing interview loops that don't have live coding nonsense. (This specific interview you're doing actually sounds suspiciously similar to the one where I currently work, actually)

When I went job hunting last year I did a couple live coding things and had actual panic attacks both times (I had to close the window five minutes into the second one and go lie down for an hour lol). I started telling recruiters I wouldn't do them, and didn't have any problems.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Tailwind is fine

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

blunt posted:

Tailwind is one of many bad steps down the path of "everybody should be a full stack developer"

Can you expand on this?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

CSS, sass, less, tailwind, and anything else you can think of all suck

:yeah:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

fsif posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Tailwind would be awkward outside of simple UIs or very regimented design systems?

Feels like if I'm coding a complex layout or CSS animations I'm not going to have a corresponding utility class.

Never had a problem with layouts. For animations we do use a different library (Framer Motion)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Jimlit posted:

Alternatively, don't be the guy using react for everything interactive. Frontends passionately over-engineering poo poo is the single worst thing in webdev

Actually the worst thing in webdev is senior backends thinking "oh it's just JS it's obviously easy" and then coming in and loving all my poo poo up!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

worms butthole guy posted:

Hey goons I have a quick question! :)

Right now in React i'm running a map function over this:

code:
{moduleData.floor1.pins.map(e =>
                            <Pin pinInfo={e}/>
                        )}
Which works well. But I want to change the "floor1" part to be based on a state variable, so currentFloor. I tried:

code:
let [currentFloor, setCurrentFloor]= useState('floor1');
{moduleData.currentFloor.pins.map(e =>
                            <Pin pinInfo={e}/>
                        )}
But this errors out. How do I get this to work as intended?

Thanks!

You are setting the state (currentFloor) to the string 'floor1', which does not have the attributes .pins.map

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Yeah I get that, but is there a way to insert the string as a non string, I guess dynaically based on the string? If that makes sense...

edit:

Actually I guess I could do this easier using a switch case

Oh i see what you're trying to do. It would be
code:
moduleData[currentFloor].pins.map

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Even better :D. Thank you camoseven!

You're welcome worms butthole guy

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Summit posted:

I’ve never understood the desire to get fanboi about frameworks. They all suck. They are all great. If you use one it makes perfect sense. If you use the other it would make sense too. In some number of years we’ll all have moved on to something else. It’s the way of things.

Found the guy who's still using Backbone and jQuery

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Summit posted:

Not sure how you made that leap. Right now I use React at work. NextJS for personal projects. My point was it’s better to keep an open mind and be able to see the value in any framework. They all have value. They will all also be replaced at some point.

Found the guy who can't recognize jokes

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Protocol7 posted:

React... good?

The surprise twist NO ONE SAW COMING!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I know this is a very dude bro centric profession, but i'm getting tired of the people on StackOverflow who spend more time formatting your questions with list formatting than answering the fukkin questions. Is this a recent thing thats happened with the site? I've noticed alot of elitism also lately over there.

I don't doubt it's worth but it can get annoying at times

I finally signed up last week and have been answering some questions, but I can't get any rep cause no one ever votes on answers or accepts them. I'll see dudes come through with 500k rep edit the question like you said, but can't even toss me a vote!!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

teen phone cutie posted:

lol yes this. for a couple weeks there I was getting into answering complicated typescript questions just to test my own knowledge and after basically nobody interacted with my answers, i gave up

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to do and exactly what is happening lol

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

prom candy posted:

Are any of these new view libraries poised to go anywhere? Lit, SolidJS, Svelte, etc? I keep hearing noise about how React is slow/outdated comparatively but it feels like it's going to be very hard to even pass Vue in second place at this point, much less dethrone the king.

Svelte has a lot of hype and momentum. I'm about to do some tutorials on it just in case

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

prom candy posted:

I've been doing a deep dive on Svelte over the past few days. It looks pretty cool but I'm not sure I'm ready to call it the React-killer just yet. It seems to be missing some key stuff, particularly when it comes to Typescript support and defining/extending interfaces for your components. Stores are a cool feature though and Sveltekit seems like a good project that offers a lot of the same benefits as Next or Remix.

Can you expand on that? I just started lookin at it, and it does seem like the videos I watch make some interesting statements about worrying about type coercion that just do not matter if you're using Typescript

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lumpy posted:

If you were using Typescript, you’d have caught that typo before you hit submit. :colbert:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

HaB posted:

Possible spicy take on Typescript:

I feel like typescript makes maintaining your code base a LOT better, but is a colossal pain in the rear end when first developing something.

“Yes, typescript. It’s an any because I don’t know yet what shape it will wind up being later, now can you just compile so I can see if this is working?”

Maybe it’s a coding style thing, since I tend to jump in and futz about in a chaotic manner until I get something working, then I go back and clean it up. I feel like typescript is constantly getting in the way of that process.

I don’t love typescript until I am revisiting code I or someone else wrote months ago and nobody remembers that well. Typescript makes that far easier. It’s just during the initial development cycle I find it bothersome.

You can set up your local dev env to let you know about those warnings/errors but not block compilation. That's what we do at my work, exactly so that we can "futz about in a chaotic manner until I get something working, then I go back and clean it up"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Please, please do not use jquery. Basically everything jquery does is now built in to JS.

If you're going to scrape with Node try something like JSDOM

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Summit posted:

Learn React as best you can, put it on your resume as a technical skill, when asked say you’ve done some side projects and would love to get a role working with React professionally. Be honest that you’re green with that specific tech but experienced in frontend generally, and willing to learn something new. So many bad devs learn one lib and then refuse to acknowledge anything else exists, this will be a good explanation to certain other devs who understand that the fundamentals and the ability to learn are more important than rote knowledge.

This is what I did and it worked very well

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Wow I have never heard of this guy before and after reading his tweets for 30 seconds I loving hate him. The internet is amazing!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Fool posted:

I still use CRA and will move to vanilla js before I use Next.

Try Vite, it's very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Cheston posted:

I quit my (mid-level front-end) job last year to deal with medical issues, and I'm starting my job search again. Does anyone have recommendations for front-end interview prep?

The job market is a loving shambles right now and you're going to be lucky to get any actual tech interviews. Make sure your resume will pass a keyword scan for any job you apply for. Work on your answers to questions that moron HR screeners ask like:

A brief overview of your resume/career
Most impressive thing you've built
Interpersonal scenarios (times you disagreed with a coworker or whatever)

And then if you actually ever get through to a tech screen you can worry about those questions based on the tech stack they use, though by far the most common tech question I get is "if you were to build a greenfield app what would your tech stack be" which is a dumbass loving question because whenever I follow up with "well what are the business requirements, what's the app supposed to do, what do people at the job already know" they say poo poo like "doesn't matter assume you don't know that stuff". gently caress YOU. gently caress.

Sorry I'm really loving burnt out by horseshit hiring practices. Do us all a solid and if you get any one way video recorded interview requests decline that poo poo.