Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

COPS is filmed on location in Dizzy Vision.

What is Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow?

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow, originally titled Donald in Maui Mallard, is an action platformer developed by Disney Interactive for the SEGA Mega Drive in 1995, and was only released in Europe and Brazil. The game was remade for the Super Nintendo one year later by Eurocom, and was the only console release in North America. The Mega Drive version was also brought over to North America on the PC with updated graphics and soundtrack around the same time as the SNES game. Two years later, Bonsai Entertainment made an attempt to bring the game to the GameBoy, and it sure was poo poo something.

The Story

Detective Maui Mallard was visiting a tropical island for vacation when the Shabuhm Shabuhm idol goes missing. Shabuhm Shabuhm is considered the island's native guardian spirit, and unless the idol is recovered, the whole island will explode. With Mallard on the case, his investigations will take him to numerous places like a spooky mansion and the boiling bowels of a active volcano.

The LP

This will be an informative LP that will come in two parts. The first part will have the SNES run. The second part will have the Mega Drive run of the game that shows off the differences between the two versions. Each update will also feature some pages from the manual for favor text, and some tracks from the amazing PC soundtrack.

The Videos

Level 1 Mojo Mansion: SNES || Mega Drive
Level 2 Ninja Training Grounds: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 3 Muddrake Mayhem: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 4 Sacrifice of Maui: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 5 Test of Duckhood: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 6 The Flying Duckman: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 7 Realm of the Dead: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)
Level 8 Mojo Stronghold: SNES || Mega Drive (Thread Post)

Bonus Levels 1-3 on Gameboy: Gameboy (Thread Post)
Bonus Maui P.I.: Music Video? (Thread Post)
Bonus PC Version: Windows PC (Thread Post)

Case Notes

Not everything in the game is explained very clearly or even at all, which means we'll need to refer to the game's manual for helpful advice and/or some background information.

Case Notes 1
Case Notes 2
Case Notes 2 Extra
Case Notes 3
Case Notes 4
Case Notes 5
Case Notes 6
Case Notes 7
Case Notes 8

Soundtrack

Title Screen & Bonus Level Theme (SNES)
Level Intro (SNES)
Level Complete
Continue
Game Over
Mojo Mansion (SNES)
Boss Theme
Ninja Training Grounds (SNES)
Muddrake Mayhem (SNES)
Sacrifice of Maui (SNES)
Test of Duckhood (SNES)
The Flying Duckman (SNES)
Realm of the Dead (SNES)
Mojo Stronghold (SNES)
Ending Part 1
Ending Part 2 (SNES)

Characters

Maui Mallard

The main protagonist of this story, he fancies himself a “Quack Detective” with numerous cases under his bill. Equipped with nothing but his wits, his 1935 vintage Westchester Bug Gun, and some hidden ninja powers Maui stares into the face of danger and tries to overcome the deadliest of cases. (And hopes to live another day!)

Cold Shadow

Maui’s alter ego. Long before he decided to be a detective, Maui trained in the art of being a ninja. It is said that he can transform with the help of one thousand souls; however after one soul was stolen, Maui must now utilize the ancient secret of the Yin Yang medallions to morph into Cold Shadow again.

Hernae

One of the locals on the island, Hernae is the acolyte sorceress of the Temple of Shabuhm Shabuhm. Very little is known about her outside her usage of mojo magic, but one thing is certain; she has little faith in Maui’s capabilities.

Mojo Witch Doctor

Used mojo magic to extract more souls from Cold Shadow and turned them into evil ninja clones. He might as well wear a sign saying, “I’M THE BAD GUY!”

Muddrakes

The island’s natives, they’re not exactly a civilize bunch; but they mean well and only want the Shabuhm Shabuhm idol returned to them. They’re not very nice to outsiders, even when they’re trying to help.

Quackoo

Former Muddrake chieftain who was captured by priates of the Flying Duckman and died while aboard their ship not too far off from the island. Apparently is able to locate the Shabuhm Shabuhm idol.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2014 around 13:25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #1

Our investigation starts at the Mojo Mansion. Spiders, bulters, AND ghosts!?

SNES || Mega Drive

Case Notes 1

PC Soundtrack

Title Screen & Bonus Level Theme
Level Complete
Mojo Mansion
Boss Theme

forbidden lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

No  Lain

All  Pain

I had the gameboy version of this game, you should show off part of it just so people know how poo poo it really is. Good to see that the other versions were playable, at least. I think I've been waiting 13 years to see what the game looks like past the first level.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

About TIME someone did this one! Will watch eagerly.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

I had the gameboy version of this game, you should show off part of it just so people know how poo poo it really is. Good to see that the other versions were playable, at least. I think I've been waiting 13 years to see what the game looks like past the first level.

Don't worry I'm getting myself ready to show off that "gem". I'll also show some of the PC version later on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Actually, Lucy, my trouble is football. I just don't understand it. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down.

Go Lions.

I haven't thought about this game in 15 years but I loved it when it first came out. Automatic bookmark, I'm really looking forward to this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

I played the poo poo out of this when I was a kid. I actually think that the game's pretty darn good and has got some pretty nice visuals and some excellent music as well. On the other hand I've only played the SNES version so I look forward to seeing the Mega Drive one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Oh man, I used to love this game (well, SNES version to be specific) as a kid, though it's been so long most of it is faded in my mind. I remember it getting really hard pretty quickly, after level two or something, although I can't remember the bosses being particularly easy (though they didn't seem to stand out difficulty-wise compared to the stages either) so I may just have been Bad At Gaming like most young children. Looking at the Mega Drive version, I'm sad they decided to cut some of the content and make it easier - especially the boss-fight and bonus stage were far cooler than what we got in the SNES version, and some of the extra background stuff you noted would be nice too. On the other hand, watching that video after the SNES one really shows that Eurocom improved the visuals a lot for the remake.

Looking forward to the rest of this LP!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Did anyone else get a demo of this game on PC along with the Toy Story game?

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

Sunning posted:

Yeah, that brings up some memories. I remember being so confused as to how to actually play the game because I was a dumb little kid, but I thought the premise was cool enough that I kept trying. Never ended up getting the full version, though. I do remember that intro and those masks from the Mega Drive video. It will be interesting to see what I missed out on.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...

Sunning posted:

I sure did! Never did beat Toy Story though...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Besides the obvious differences of Graphics and Soundtrack of the PC and Mega Drive versions of the game, are there any differences in the gameplay?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Besides the obvious differences of Graphics and Soundtrack of the PC and Mega Drive versions of the game, are there any differences in the gameplay?

There were a few new effects added to a level or two, the sound effects were also changed, it runs faster, and the game would give you hints when you died. Other than that, they're the same.

edit: It's almost impossible to find any good footage of the PC version given that it was a Windows 9x game; at best there's camcorder footage of it on Youtube.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2013 around 06:09

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

That's an interesting special stage on the Genesis. Are all the enemies unique to the bonus stages, or do they show up elsewhere later?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Glazius posted:

That's an interesting special stage on the Genesis. Are all the enemies unique to the bonus stages, or do they show up elsewhere later?

The dudes with the saw yo-yos show up in a later level, but the torch guy and the shield lady are unique to that stage.

Brunom1
Sep 4, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ah, I played through this game a lot as a kid; it's right up there with the Donkey Kong games as my most-played SNES title.

Couldn't beat it for the life of me, though, as the farthest I ever got was the last part of the penultimate level (and I only got that far twice, I think) but I always came back because I loved the soundtrack so much.

I might be the odd one out, or it might be nostalgia speaking, but I find the SNES soundtrack to be the better version - it has less instruments than the PC version but I think the simplicity of its design gives it more charm.

Take the Mojo Mansion theme for example: I like it a whole lot more than the PC version as I find that the voices in that one obscure the melody in several moments.

Regardless, I'm happy to see this being LPed!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trust us, we're highly trained medical professionals bears.

Oh man. This takes me back to when I was 5 year old little speck of a sperg. This'll be a fun nostalgia trip, I'm sure.

Oh man that PC soundtrack. It takes me right back. It's still really good!

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2013 around 05:13

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh I remember this game from my childhood. Never got that far though into it, just to the third or so level I think before I stopped.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I remember Nintendo Power gave this game a pretty extensive article back in the day, and I thought it looked pretty cool. Never did manage to find a copy around where I lived, though.

I still think the fact that the main character isn't Donald Duck, but rather a character played by Donald Duck, is really cute.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

formido oppugnatura exsequens

Rocketlex posted:

I still think the fact that the main character isn't Donald Duck, but rather a character played by Donald Duck, is really cute.
Was that the pitch? When I rented this from Blockbuster, I assumed Disney farmed the game out to some 3rd party developer, but yanked the naming rights at the last minute. Regardless, it let me pretend I was playing parallel-universe Donald, where he never got tapped to look after his nephews and wound up in the Southern hemisphere, working as a freelance 'troubleshooter.' Like Bruce Campbell on Burn Notice except he was a duck and also a ninja. Pretty sure I beat it. Guess I'll find out for sure in future videos.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Was that the pitch? When I rented this from Blockbuster, I assumed Disney farmed the game out to some 3rd party developer, but yanked the naming rights at the last minute.

I like to think that someone wanted to pitch an original IP with a brand new character, and Disney's marketing department thought the game would sell more if it had a well known character's name attached to title. Then again after reading some interviews with some of the staff, their marketing department also thought the Mega Drive version wouldn't sell well outside of Europe, so who knows.

Edit: In terms of the Super Nintendo version the renaming was DI's marketing department's decision.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2013 around 22:26

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #2

Time to put on our best pajamas, becuase we're going to the Ninja Training Grounds.

SNES || Mega Drive

Case Notes 2

PC Soundtrack
Ninja Training Grounds

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

I suppose this is needless to say, but the music for this stage is goddamn fantastic.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Looking at my Mega Drive manual for this game, the red coins extend your combo. You start out with (I believe) a two hit chain, each red Yin Yang gives you an extra hit after that.

Also, really happy to see someone doing this. Between this and Quackshot, Donald Duck has a pretty good record on the Mega Drive.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hats posted:

Looking at my Mega Drive manual for this game, the red coins extend your combo. You start out with (I believe) a two hit chain, each red Yin Yang gives you an extra hit after that.

Cool, I didn't notice the combo system was still in the Mega Drive version. I'll make sure to mention it in the next update and update the video description.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Hmmm, definitely seems like a case of missed potential here. Both versions have some obviously superior parts, and not just small things either. The combat system for the SNES version is entirely uninspired and annoying, but movement is equally a pain in the rear end for megadrive. Keeping most of the Megadrive version except with proper staff-swinging, the lightning-shooting boss dudes and the updated music/graphics from SNES (or vise versa) would have been great. The fact that the new new lightning-shooter ninjas actually work okay just makes it even more an affront that the SNES AI on this boss is horrendous.

Looking forward to seeing more though!

Brunom1
Sep 4, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

I had no idea those things were actually switches - all this time, I thought they were just there to house Yin-Yang coins!

I actually like MOST of the PC version of this BGM, even when compared against the SNES version; it has a powerful feel with the use of brass while also having some ninja-like smoothness with the string and pipe instruments.

The only part that irks are those sections where it looks like the Orchestra is syncing up and all instruments seemingly play at random - I don't really get why it's there.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

As a kid, I never knew the story of this game. I just thought it was a game based off a Donald Duck comic I never knew of, so I wouldn't get the story anyway.

Can't wait to see more of this LP. I remember the later levels getting kinda stupid hard.

Y-Hat
Feb 10, 2007

I'll get you, I'll burn you, I'll crush you, I'll flush you down, down
The toilet where you'll spiral around, round
Awwww tick... tick tick tick

Rocketlex posted:

I remember Nintendo Power gave this game a pretty extensive article back in the day, and I thought it looked pretty cool.
Having never played this game, the only thing I remember about it is the Nintendo Power piece. It contained maps of each level as well as a first-person film-noir narration style outlining the game's story. If I had the issue I could provide some scans.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmmm, definitely seems like a case of missed potential here. Both versions have some obviously superior parts, and not just small things either. The combat system for the SNES version is entirely uninspired and annoying, but movement is equally a pain in the rear end for megadrive.

I'd be totally fine with the way the Megadrive's swinging mechanics work if the level designers spaced the grapple heads further apart to compensate for the extra air time.

Brunom1 posted:

The only part that irks are those sections where it looks like the Orchestra is syncing up and all instruments seemingly play at random - I don't really get why it's there.

Yeah, I'm don't like that part too much either. It's even more jarring when the track loops back to the beginning in the middle of gameplay.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I did some google searching and not only did I find out what issue of Nintendo Power the Maui Mallard article was featured in I also found some scans of the article. I'll include these to the Case Notes for now on, and as for the stuff that we've already seen here's some extra content:

Case Notes 2 Extra

Edit: VVV Yeah, I don't know where they're getting "it's a wacky adventure". I mean, some later levels have some pretty dark themes for kids game.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 22:31

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

I did some google searching and not only did I find out what issue of Nintendo Power the Maui Mallard article was featured in I also found some scans of the article. I'll include these to the Case Notes for now on, and as for the stuff that we've already seen here's some extra content:

Case Notes 2 Extra

It feels weird seeing this game described as a light-hearted, fun adventure, knowing how it came off to me as a kid. Keep in mind, I was REALLY little when I played the PC version way back when - it might have been my first decent platformer, apart from that really janky PC Toy Story game. 4 year old me found the manor and parts of the training ground (especially when HOLY gently caress CRAZY MASK MAN OUT OF NOWHERE WHATS HE DOING AAAAAGH ) genuinely creepy, and there's some bits later on that got worse in that regard.

It made 4 year old me feel so brave and edgy.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

zeon thirsts for the steez of her people

Cerebral Bore posted:

I suppose this is needless to say, but the music for this stage is goddamn fantastic.

It should be; it was composed by Michael Giacchino, better known as the composer for Lost, the Star Trek reboots, Super 8, and The Incredibles, among others.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Kind of weird the Genesis version winds up with better combat and worse platformer physics.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

Oh man. This kinda takes me back. I had the PC demo that came with toy story as well. Never beat the demo for this...come to think of it, never beat toy story either. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing where the game goes.

Should see if I still have the disk with the demo somewhere.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #3

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday... Be there for Muddrake M-M-M-Mayhem!! (Also I play the gameboy game.)

SNES || Mega Drive || BONUS: Gameboy

I included the Muddrakes' vocal clips in the case notes, because I forgot to show them off in the video.

Case Notes 3

PC Soundtrack

Muddrake Mayhem

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2013 around 16:58

Y-Hat
Feb 10, 2007

I'll get you, I'll burn you, I'll crush you, I'll flush you down, down
The toilet where you'll spiral around, round
Awwww tick... tick tick tick

Hee hee, the Muddrakes in the boss arena get naked in the SNES version when they're shot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God, that gameboy version sure makes me appreciate the other versions' pretty spritework. How the hell did anyone ever play poo poo on Gameboy? You can't see poo poo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Huh, for once I'd say I prefer the SNES version of the bossfight. Sure lots of Muddrakes makes for potentially more incoming damage, but between more health available, and the much better shooting, Genesis seems quite a bit easier. Additionally, the boss fight seems actually more polished on the SNES, between the guy on top throwing spears, and being able to push the mask-construct thing over. That said, pity they removed the crowd messages.

And yeesh, the Gameboy version...doesn't look too fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

I liked the active audience they had in the Genesis fight. Kind of surprised that didn't show up on the SNES; then again that would have been just so much visual noise when you actually had muddrakes in the crowd throwing spears at you.

«2 »