Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, er... Difficulties with the MegaRace video continue. But there will be a video!

It's just it won't have Biscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Why can't I stop laughing from that simple sound bite?

Makes me wonder how pig of a pile of shite it is if HE'S going "NOPE!" over it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
MegaRace is certainly interesting. It is one of the few games I have had with me since childhood

I certainly can't wait to see how you handle it :allears:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Ben Kasack posted:

Why can't I stop laughing from that simple sound bite?

Makes me wonder how pig of a pile of shite it is if HE'S going "NOPE!" over it.

You will learn to fear Lance Boil.

mateo360 posted:

MegaRace is certainly interesting. It is one of the few games I have had with me since childhood

I certainly can't wait to see how you handle it :allears:

I am not surprised you own this game. You seem to be knee deep in bad games.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
You all have no idea to what extent Megarace, like, exists and is. It just, like, yeah. Like, 100 percent yeeeeup.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, I'm going to post this warning about the MegaRace 1+2 video well before I've finished subbing it (should be done tomorrow, and with Wipeout Track 8 sometime the same day).

These are the time indexes for actual gameplay.

7:00 to 8:51 (Race 1)
11:00 to 12:39 (Race 2, leads into game-over and MegaRace 2)
24:27 to 26:22 (Race 1 of MegaRace 2)
28:12 to 28:52 (Highly edited "Yes, I won those other two races")
33:00 to 34:38 (Track 2, Race 10)
36:43 to 36:58 (Welp, I lost that last bit, also heavily edited)
38:24 (video ends)

The rest is all Lance Boyle, baby. This should give you some idea.

EDIT: vvvvv I should have reversed the order. It would have been much more amusing that way. Oh well!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 11, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Future Racing is Weird, Part 2: Oh God, It's The 90s (Planet of Death and MegaRace)

While Wipeout came out in the 90s, there is a drat good reason why a lot of 90's game design is slated, both in video games and other areas (World of Darkness, anybody?) MegaRace and Planet of Death (more commonly known as P.O.D) are both good examples of this. Let's examine their sins, shared or otherwise, shall we?

Click here for LANCE BOYLE

MegaRace, which somehow lasted to become a trilogy, was blatantly an experimental product. This isn't surprising, considering the developers, Cryo Interactive. These are the people who made a point and click adventure out of Aliens, although they are best known for making some really lovely tie ins that eventually led to the demise of the company. Oh, and MegaRace.

Now, not many people really remember MegaRace's gameplay. This is because it was very simple, kinda dull, and deliberately limited to hide technical limitations. Want an example? The track wasn't any sort of map or mesh, it was a repeating FMV. This is the actual reason you don't control the car's acceleration or speed (much), and why it's only so many laps. No, what most people remember about the game was its fictional presenter. Lance. loving. Boyle.

Keep in mind that the intros and commentary you are about to watch from this “esteemed” gentleman are definitely not his worst work. That would be the two sequels, which camped it up to extremely uncomfortable levels. Both of them got panned, and we may or may not briefly revisit the series. Preferably not, because while they did have some innovation, this is outweighed by janky controls and similarly poor physics. Luckily for you, you get to see the second game, and its somewhat (and deliberately, it seems) janky physics. You don't get to see the third, because it was bloody awful, and completely ditched the wheeled end of things. Which kind of misses the point of this FRIW segment.

Click here for Pitchfork Ship

Planet of Death, by contrast, is about as grimdark as you could get for a racing game. Precisely because of this, we have the same problem in reverse as we do for MegaRace: We simply cannot take it seriously. MegaRace is blatantly a homage to what we genuinely thought lowest common denominator entertainment would devolve to in the future (and, to a certain extent, it has... but not in the interesting and extremely fatal way we used to think). PoD, by contrast, takes itself so seriously that you have to laugh. This game also somehow spawned a sequel, and I can tell you right now, it wasn't for the gameplay or the story. Maybe mass insanity or something...

Story wise, there's this planet. Some mining robot unleashed badly rendered orange/green sludge, which was basically a combination of Grey Goo and an extremely nasty virus. Most of the survivors have been evacuated, but the world is dying, and only a few tens of survivors remain on world. To pass the time, they made racers out of various disused vehicles. All well and good. Thing is, there's only one shuttle offworld left, and it apparently only has room for one. Obvious (and dumb) plot-hole aside, the miners are now racing for real, and have decided multiple death races on their dying world is the most democratic way to draw straws for that pilot seat. The sequel doesn't do any better, because in that one, the sole rationale for the races is that the guy who made the only vaccine to this disease is a complete and utter douchenozzle. Why? You can guess, considering the rationale for this game's racing.

Mechanically, it has the potential to be interesting. Vehicle customisation. Location damage. and a couple of race changing track features. It even has multiple paths on the vertical level, as well as the horizontal. But the limitations of the time pretty much doomed this one, as it looks slow, the UI is grimy (and dull), and the sound design is about as interesting as a dead goldfish. But trust me, at the time, it wowed a lot of people. It just really didn't age well.

These two games emphasise why I'm generally leaving wheeled future racers out of this: Most of them weren't terribly interesting despite their gimmicks.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Biscuit, you made the right choice in Megarace.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I liked Megarace.

I was stupid.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
*sees update; loads up. Hears announcer dude*

"Is this Lance? His voice is a bit annoying but-"

*Wild LANCE appears!*

:stare:

*watches all of the video in that state*

"WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST WATCH!?"

*cleanses pallet by watching POD video*

Yes, POD is MUCH better than MegaRace comparatively speaking. That's not to say POD is any good, just better than MegaRace. I'm sorry I doubted your judgement Biscuit.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Ben Kasack posted:

*sees update; loads up. Hears announcer dude*

"Is this Lance? His voice is a bit annoying but-"

*Wild LANCE appears!*

:stare:

*watches all of the video in that state*

"WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST WATCH!?"

*cleanses pallet by watching POD video*

Yes, POD is MUCH better than MegaRace comparatively speaking. That's not to say POD is any good, just better than MegaRace. I'm sorry I doubted your judgement Biscuit.

POD was a fun and exciting game compared to Mega Race.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Pretty much the whole thread posted:

OHGODWHYJAMIE?!?

Yeah, that's how I feel. But in true Goon fashion, let's commemorate this terrible, terrible game in thread with some potential avatars!

Welcome to the Avatar that rips reality's lungs out!

But they'll remember this thread, long after we've forgotten them!

Feelin' all big and posty... Tiger?

Also, it's time for the :siren: GoonRace Signup Status :siren:

There are two slots left in Rapier mode, as far as I am aware, Vector has largely been ignored (probably rightfully so), and two left in Phantom. There's 13 days left to sign up and send me your video, and I am available to help through the contact details on the signup sheet.

Next Wipeout vid will be on Thursday, and then it'll be the PIRAHNA CHALLENGE vid, the bonus vids with cheats and the like, and hopefully a couple more bonus vids (depending on whether I can pull off some of these things), then the GoonRace vid (remember, while we have enough to at least make a vid, it's two more signups if we want a race for Wipeout 3!)

For those who've forgotten the basics, the rules are very simple, and are here!

EDIT: A note for anyone more sadistic than I am - I may have a losertar for Thunderdome soon, so if you're going to be a sadist, wait until after I get one of those.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Feelin' all big and posty... Tiger?

I didn't really get what you meant when you first told me about the 'levels' in Megarace, but now I understand. They basically just made interactive cutscenes instead because everyone just wanted to get back to LANCE loving BOYLE.

JamieTheD posted:

Also, it's time for the :siren: GoonRace Signup Status :siren:

There are two slots left in Rapier mode, as far as I am aware, Vector has largely been ignored (probably rightfully so), and two left in Phantom. There's 13 days left to sign up and send me your video, and I am available to help through the contact details on the signup sheet.

I kind of sort of 'signed' blanktester up for Rapier yesterday. I didn't want to pull an extremely big joke on him, so he picked Feisar so he could get up to that difficulty and record something within an hour or two. So that's filled. That means that there's one slot left for Rapier. I hope someone else joins that fourth slot, because it was, in a way, pretty fun doing it. Even if my Auricom blew up a couple times along the way, and gooooood luck with Qirex if someone tries that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:j: - Choose the door of your choice!
:stare: - I'll take the exit.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
What... what is she looking at?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

JamieTheD posted:

But they'll remember this thread, long after we've forgotten them!

:stare: Yes. Yes we will.

Thanks I think for showing me something I'd never have seen otherwise.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Giggs posted:

My guess, a year's worth of cocaine money.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Giggs posted:

She's looking at a bottle of sleeping pills and some whiskey.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
So, I decided that I might as well try Phantom mode and went to do the Phantom challenge. And oh, man, I absolutely struggled through it. The six tracks took, like, 12 races, with me barely holding on and getting free retries for at least placing 3rd more often than not. Strangely enough, I got Gare D'Europa on my first try. Hmm. It's almost like I drilled it several dozen times before. But yeah, it was NOT a pleasure cruise at all.

Rapier mode really did make a big change to the earlier tacks. Even though the tracks were still wider (especially the first two), they started to feel a LOT more restrictive, there was much less room for error, and I basically had to get my line down right by the second lap or I was done. I think you should have been able to practice the tracks on Rapier beforehand. It seems a bit evil to just drop you into tracks that you couldn't have played before at higher speed. Since there's obviously a challenge for doing all eight tracks in one go on Phantom, I wish anyone the best of luck on getting it done. Or at least, getting it done without Jamie's power to slow the game to a crawl and set the lines up. I think I'll call it 'Jamie Vision'.

Because speaking of Phantom, I signed up for that class as well. And yeah, that's a bit too fast. Good luck in your Qirex and Auricom, guys. I picked AG and even then I went faster than I could keep up at a couple points. Really, I just wanted to try Phantom and be able to talk about it.

And Spilskinanke was absolutely awful. Cool looking, but awful. Again, I'm sure 'Jamie Vision' comes in handy a lot there.

EDIT: In the Talon's Reach video, Jamie used the AG and had a max speed of around 130-140 km/h. In my Phantom footage, my max speed was, like, 240. Almost double.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 14, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ovues posted:

Phantom words

You'd be surprised how little difference slowdown can make, because it slows your input as well as your output. At least, on mine it does. Sadface.

Anyways, yes, Spilskinanke, sadly, does have slowdown, because it not only has plenty of particle effects (the rain), it's also the most visually complex track of the game (although it doesn't look it).

As to the Phantom tracks being decidedly unfair, yes, they really are. Vostok Island is a mean track, but mainly because you don't have time to react to the deceptive nature of the tracks. The lines themselves are really simple, but getting them requires some drat good reflexes. The fact that you can't practice them on a lower speed class until you've beaten it in Phantom is perhaps the most evil design decision of the game, and the fact that, even after you've beaten them, it only allows Rapier and Phantom as your speed classes is a kick in the balls.

But the Piranha Challenge is only necessary if you want something special. Something that's going to test your piloting skills to the limit, while utterly removing any challenge the game had.

As to Spilskinanke, strangely, it's nowhere near as bad as it looks. It's just something that requires airbrakes for a good 60% of the track, even in a FEISAR. Although, as we're going to see later this week, it's definitely not without its dick moves and glitches.

In fact, this is the fun thing with Phantom class: It works almost entirely with deception.

EDIT: God-drat, this track's commentary was tough to edit! Mainly, it must be said, because I lost my train of thought halfway through.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I walk away from the subforum for no real reason for like 4 days and boom, I miss a blast from the past.

I wasn't thinking much about what Megarace (and Lance Boyle) could be, until you started mentioning the point and click Alien game, which I had (it was not a very good adventure game. You had to do certain things in a precise order including the puzzles, with a sort of time limit sometimes in place) I got it innocently enough when we got our first PC, because I was kinda into the franchise at the time. It came with a demo for some racing game. Guess which one? The demo went through the first stage, (with all the cutscenes) and that's all.

Anywho, I'll try my best to practice a little more and make some videos asap.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Anywho, I'll try my best to practice a little more and make some videos asap.

No probs, you got time, and...

Considering that we have almost filled three classes, but it doesn't look like anybody else is coming to the party (boo), I think, if we asked Giggs to tone it down to Rapier, we'll have our two classes, and that'll be enough of a race to continue. (EDIT: But if we had just two more people, that'd be three races with wildly varying levels of close finishes!)

For those who've got their videos in already, good on ya! For those who haven't, don't worry, still 10 days to go, you're peachy.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say all threadgoers agree that Vector is a babby race for babby people that should be ditched in future GoonRaces, and I don't blame peeps. So it won't be in any future races.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 15, 2014

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'm totally fine with moving into Rapier. I'll also support team Qirex because why not I guess.

And since Choco and Jamie mentioned first person and its weirdness I had to try it. I cannot play in third person anymore. It feels real weird after you get used to first person.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Track 8: Spilskinanke

Ah, Spilskinanke. This is a fun track, but it can be extremely unpredictable, with a lot of blind turns, corners, and jumps. Oh, did I also mention that there are broken sections of track that require some quick airbrake control to navigate successfully? Or that, like Vostok Island, it's locked to Phantom Class until we beat Piranha?

So, y'know what? Let's manmode this, and go Qirex! This is a plan that can't possibly go wrong!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Something has just occurred to me: We've demonstrated pretty much every craft (except the hilariously broken one), so I'm going to put the next recording to a thread vote.

Vote Splosions if you want me to use the AGS.
Vote Smooth! if you want me to use the FEISAR.
Vote AMURRICA if you want the Auricom
Vote Bears if you want the Qirex.

And finally...

Vote Causality? What's That? for a double whammy video.

EDIT: Vote closes on Monday, 6PM GMT.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Causality? What's That?

A note about Piranha, in 2048 they're known as Pir-Hana, and their logo isn't a couple lines on a square, but a flower. Hana's Japanese for "flower", which I guess makes them out to be some sort of offshoot from AG Systems, with guys more concerned with winning than scientific progress. Placing them in Brazil, a nation where finding skilled technical workers can be cheap for outside companies, kinda reinforces their image of being Japanese Qirex But Even Greedier.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

YourAverageJoe posted:

Causality? What's That?

A note about Piranha, in 2048 they're known as Pir-Hana, and their logo isn't a couple lines on a square, but a flower. Hana's Japanese for "flower", which I guess makes them out to be some sort of offshoot from AG Systems, with guys more concerned with winning than scientific progress. Placing them in Brazil, a nation where finding skilled technical workers can be cheap for outside companies, kinda reinforces their image of being Japanese Qirex But Even Greedier.

They were apparently a merger of two Brazilian companies, Pir and Hana, and there's no Japanese folks on their "key people", so I'd just say that the Pir-Hana thing is a justification of Wip3out's typo.

Actually since 2048 takes place right after WipEout 1, I guess that Pir-Hana is a precursor to the Piranha name, and the flower thing is more of a pun, considering how much Japan seems to influence the entire WipEout universe in some respects.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 17, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Serperoth posted:

They were apparently a merger of two Brazilian companies, Pir and Hana, and there's no Japanese folks on their "key people", so I'd just say that the Pir-Hana thing is a justification of Wip3out's typo.

Actually since 2048 takes place right after WipEout 1, I guess that Pir-Hana is a precursor to the Piranha name, and the flower thing is more of a pun, considering how much Japan seems to influence the entire WipEout universe in some respects.

You're actually both right. As Serperoth mentions, there was a minor typo in Wip3out that spelled Piranha as Pirhana (It must be said, Piranha is a word that many people mis-spell, because nearly all spellings of it using the right letters sound right), and, to justify this, manuals started mentioning Piranha as the merging of two companies, Pir and Hana. Like many obscure things in gaming, this achieved something of an in-joke status, and got worked into the history of the company. Only 2048 has a flower as a symbol (itself a ja-pun reference), all the rest are some piscine form, generally reminiscent of the fanged fish we all know and love.

As to the character of the team itself, many unfairly classify them as "like Qirex, but Brazilian/Japanese/Wherever the gently caress they came from (sources argue on this one, even among "canon".) In fact, they are more like a Porsche or a Lamborghini, in that their CEO wanted to achieve perfection in their chosen field: Things that go really bleeding fast. The original CEO of the company was even quoted (from one of the manuals, if I recall), that he would "never smile until we have achieved perfection."

Dude was pretty hardcore, and if you guess that he never smiled, to the day he died, you'd probably be correct. Piranha have always aimed at being the fastest, most powerful thing on track, but they always fell short in some fashion, whether that was due to the design being too expensive to maintain (the XL craft), or to having certain parts being banned after they were seen (Wipeout Pulse).

But Piranha, like Qirex, have always been a fan favourite, not just because of their character (reminiscent of many pro Wipeout players), but also because of their vibrant team colours and distinctive shape. Essentially, you know you're racing a Piranha, even if you can't tell an Auricom from a Qirex, because it's the one that shot you in the rear end, then sped off like a red and gold streak of awesome.

Sadly, due to the sheer number of teams introduced in Pure and Pulse, the Piranha kind of fell by the wayside for the latter half of the series, because there were other, even more specialised craft that fit pro-player's individual styles better.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Are you three all seriously telling me you ONLY see a flower or some lines in that logo, and not a fish as well? >O is totally a fish.

Meanwhile, regardless of how much more I can improve (drat that chicane between the tunnels :argh: ) I'm setting a deadline for myself of recording by Sunday night.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Are you three all seriously telling me you ONLY see a flower or some lines in that logo, and not a fish as well? >O is totally a fish.

Yes, we know. I thought it was obvious. Hell, all their other logos are either stylized fish (3, Pure) or FISH THAT'S GON EAT YOU (Fusion, Pulse).

WipEout logos are absolutely amazing by the way. Major props to The Designers' Republic for all their visual work.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Meanwhile, regardless of how much more I can improve (drat that chicane between the tunnels :argh: ) I'm setting a deadline for myself of recording by Sunday night.

O is indeed a fish, but this isn't:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Causality? What's that?

Really Jamie, when you put an option like that into the voting process, it almost seems like you're begging us to vote for it. :v:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Would that one special craft option happen to give you a craft with extremely high shields, by any chance? Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, I have one question for you, and one question only...

EXPLOSIONS!!!!?

obviously if it is nigh-impossible to get through with an AG then sure go with causality

Insetik fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 18, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

:siren: GOONRACE UPDATE :siren:

Goon Class is ALL IN, I repeat, Goon Class is ALL IN! It's going to be a hell of a vid when I put it together, and I shall be mailing the participants, asking if they wish to appear in the race video. But lemme tell you, with one exception (who still had some slick moves that I'm definitely going to be pointing out), the Goon race was really fricking close. As in, between 1st and 3rd, there was 1 second. Exactly.

So many thanks already to the brave pilots of Goon Class. We salute thee!

As to Rapier, all the videos but Giggs' are in, and we have 5 days remaining. This has also had its interesting times, so look forward to that, and I shall be totting up the times when the final video's in!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm totally excited to find out the results. It's taken me a lot of hard work to get the times I managed. And you know what? I'm totally okay if one of you beat me, you earned it. Depending on the date/time I'm cool with jumping in on the live results too.

Say, something else I've learned through my time with the game, are you going to be showing any of the "shortcuts" that are possible with Phantom and above speeds?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I'm totally excited to find out the results. It's taken me a lot of hard work to get the times I managed. And you know what? I'm totally okay if one of you beat me, you earned it. Depending on the date/time I'm cool with jumping in on the live results too.

Say, something else I've learned through my time with the game, are you going to be showing any of the "shortcuts" that are possible with Phantom and above speeds?

I'm definitely going to be trying to show off both Phantom and Rapier shortcuts (because they exist in Rapier, but it's just as hard to pull off for differing reasons), because, quite frankly, some of them are insane (and I'm pretty sure, even from watching a ton of vids, I haven't found them all). But it's bonus video territory, and, due to the tough nature of some of these shortcuts, it may be delayed.

Also, I haven't set a hard date/time on the co-commentary, although I do have an idea how I want it to go, and I wanna run that by peeps first. But before that... trimming and cropping and using AviSynth, yaaaaay! :suicide:

EDIT: I'm already re-encoding vids because Avisynth really doesn't like MP4s, and FFMPGsource isn't working. :(

EDIT 2: However, through some black magic, Carlioo and Choco's vids seem to sync up quite well without trimming any frames... huh!

EDIT 3: No, wait, they don't... but what the hell, we'll know the times, dagnabbit!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 20, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am looking forward to this race video!

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

JFairfax posted:

I am looking forward to this race video!

I'm getting pumped just thinking about how badly I did!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

blanktester posted:

I'm getting pumped just thinking about how badly I did!

It's the taking part that's important!

Also, the two guys in first place put us all to shame...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

It's the taking part that's important!

Also, the two guys in first place put us all to shame...

Wait, do you mean we had a tie?! :suspense:

• Locked thread