Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I found this LP yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I spent hours and hours trying to beat Rapier in the original as a child. I fired it up last night and only managed to beat Silverstream because I finally got a boost off the line. Man, these games.

Great LP, Jamie. I'm really looking forward to the Goon Races, and I hope to participate.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JamieTheD posted:

The second is a mistake that all Wipeout players, even pros, are subject to: Gotta Go Fast. You see it in every tutorial vid out there, that "A clean lap is not necessarily a fast lap", and other such things.

On Sagarmatha I managed to cut 1.6 seconds off my previous best lap time, which was a perfect lap. The improved lap time was not perfect. I know it flies in the face of "good racing" but I'll be damned if I ever take my finger off the accelerator. :colbert:

Edit: I just managed to airbrake through the wall on Sagarmatha's sharp near-180 turn. I've never seen that happen before. Inertia!

Giggs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2013

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Time Trial is my vote, so that we can show off our rad 90's skills without pesky computers ruining our lines.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I really like the unlock system/progression in XL, so I think it's PRObably worth recording Challenge 1.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JamieTheD posted:

There are still 12 slots (not 11, because Giggs signed up for two classes,

Woops. I wasn't sure at the time and probably should have asked! I'll take my name out of the Mod class unless it's required to fill later.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
What... what is she looking at?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'm totally fine with moving into Rapier. I'll also support team Qirex because why not I guess.

And since Choco and Jamie mentioned first person and its weirdness I had to try it. I cannot play in third person anymore. It feels real weird after you get used to first person.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Yeah but what if they cosplayed as the different ships from Wipeout and instead of being weirdos they just threw sauce packets and yelled "ROCKETS"?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Everything about Jet Ion GP is obnoxious.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JamieTheD posted:

You mean Future Racer, right? Because the text is completely optional (I just showed it off because I like lore, I'm a deviant like that), and of the two, Future Racer is definitely the more obnoxious. It's just that god-damned lag, which, thankfully, only cropped up in the video twice. The controls when it isn't lagging (most of the video) are actually really responsive, and the tracks after the video ends are, even with the lag, breathtaking. I'm kinda sorry I picked the tutorial stage now, as it's sort of an unfair representation compared to the second and third tracks.

Future Racer certainly seems to be a much worse game. It's got bad anime storytelling and is poorly explained and looks boring. I should have used irritating or disappointing instead of obnoxious. That first track in JIGP illustrates a whole bunch of my problems with it. The particle effects, the blindingly sharp and unnecessarily opaque track-ribbon-guide thing, the colour choices. It feels like they put little effort into exploring their options and instead piled things on. It could have been much better.

There's a short gamespot interview from 2000 with the producer at Crave Entertainment here which sounds just kind of silly. They added more fireworks and "the frame rate is totally playable". Then they cancelled it for North America anyway.

Also, "Hresvelgr" is a way better name than Jet Ion GP. :colbert:

e: I'm probably just expecting more from things I shouldn't, to be honest.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 14, 2014

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Wipeout 3 is one of the most beautiful games on the PS1 in my opinion. The ship designs, the colour choices, the textures, everything. It just fits so well together and it makes me want to touch stuff.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
If I'm remembering correctly, Stanza on Phantom with the Icarus is the worst. Clearing that one track on Phantom probably took longer than half the other tracks combined.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'd volunteer but I'm not confident in my ability to add anything but "yup" "uh huh" or "totally... totally".

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I also added you on steam.

I want to watch people play wipeout. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Manor Top with Qirex is, indeed, great. It's just more satisfying.

• Locked thread