Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
The way I figure, grinding blows and endgame blows. So being 'behind' just means you get to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Literally Esoteric posted:

The way I figure, grinding blows and endgame blows. So being 'behind' just means you get to play the game.

Sweet~ I'll just cause a ruckus and have fun, as intended :3:
I'll post my character names at some point, once I remember them and get the client going. Probably won't really play until after Thanksgiving though, we'll see.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Literally Esoteric posted:

On the other hand the low level boats are pretty deserted and a lot of the fun in Vindictus is running around in a suplex hit squad throwing all the gnolls/trolls/goblins into rocks. Or missing dodges and blocks so your corpse gets thrown halfway across the map for your party mates to heckle you about.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Do I just post "ey yo fartlords I wanna do a low level raid" if I want to kill the polar bear or the goblin or w/e guy in the first quest area? Because I can never find anyone doing those quests when I hit up the mission board.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

Post it in (%) gchat and I will for sure go with if I'm on.

Also, accept Literally to FartLords please.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
I killed the chieftain and the bear. Is any cool bro in fartlords capable of making an Exquisite Blood Prince chest piece? Stuff is expensive on the market right now.

Never mind, I just made 4million on the AH selling trash o_O?

Down Right Fierce fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 29, 2013

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

Dunno how you made that much selling pre-blood-prince stuff, but that's pretty sweet. Someone add "Literally" to the guild, I'm still on pending, so I can kill Blood Lord with people who need to do low level stuff and poo poo.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Those wacky devs are up to shenanigans.

quote:

Season 1 is going to be adjusted in order to smooth out the leveling process for new players. This will also bring changes to some of the details of the story for season 1. Not a lot though, as the ending will remain the same. [for example; instead of encountering kobolds in Hoarfrost by coincidence, the player will be on an official mission from the Royal Army.

Map sectors for season 1 will also be reduced in order to decrease the time it takes to reach the boss of each battle.

The reason for planning new adjustments for characters was because old characters were having trouble handling new battles with their current functionality.

The adjustments will come in two separate updates and those first in line are Fiona, Evie, and Vella. [Pillar Karok will come in the second update]
Hooray for wasting less time running down hallways, and I guess hooray for the devs realizing that newer characters are a lot more fun to play than the older characters.

quote:

-Fiona

The devs found that the biggest problem with Fiona was that the process of swinging normal attacks for a smash took so long that normal mobs are dead and bosses tend to move away before she can attack.

To handle this problem they implemented a new skill: Shield Dash

Shield Dash is a skill for dashing at a quick speed. This skill can be used twice for each use and the distance two dashes cover is equivalent of a Shield Charge. It is an SP skill but can be used easily since it consumes little SP and has a short cooldown.

Along with Shield Dash, Focal Point has been adjusted so that it will cover a wider range and deal more damage. Focal Point will also be able to be used in conjunction with Shield Dash.

When used with Shield Dash, Focal Point will consume half of its original SP cost and the preparation motion will be skipped thus allowing a quick attack. This combo, with the improved Focal Point, will greatly aid in fighting normal monsters and bosses that tend to move a lot.

Shield Charge has been adjusted as well. It currently deals damage only once, but the adjusted version will deal damage four times with less damage for each hit. Of course, getting in all four hits will result in higher damage than before. Additionally, Slashing High will be applied after Shield Charge.

The taunt for large shield has been adjusted to draw attacks from the boss for a certain time period opposed to a single attack. The current method doesn’t have much impact compared to Karok’s Shout, which can be used for Clash.

Long Sword will receive a new small shield SP skill, Shield Enhance. An SP skill that applies a buff that increases the damage of Fiona’s second counter attack for its duration. This is meant to be used for bosses that only give a small timeframe to attack or those that move constantly.

Although using Counter Attack while Shield Enhance is up will deal more damage than Amaranth Kick, as it is an SP skill, it can’t be spammed thus used strategically.

Long Hammer will be adjusted to have its playstyle more centered on Slashing High. The follow-up smash for Butterfly Swing will be changed while Slashing High is up.

Butterfly Swing’s follow-up smash will stay the same without Slashing High. While Slashing High is up the follow-up smash will be changed to a different attack with wider range, better mobility, and more damage. But it can only repeat twice, and after that the last follow-up smash is Stigma Hammer which can be charged at twice the speed it currently charges.

Normal Stigma Hammer can’t be charged though. The only way to charge Stigma Hammer after the adjustment will be as a follow up smash after Butterfly Swing with Slashing High on.

Honeybee Sting’s damage and SP gain will be greatly increased. When you’re low on SP while waiting for a chance to attack you can use Honeybee Sting to deal damage and quickly stack SP.

Long Hammer’s normal swings will have a wider range than the weapon’s actual length like smashes. This is intended to aid Long Hammers in handling normal monsters.
They're making some drastic changes to the way Fiona plays. There are more offensive options but fighting is going to be more complicated.

quote:

-Staff Evie

The Casting Save system has been adjusted to further aid Staff Evie’s difficulty in handling bosses with a lot of movement.

Saved spells can be used while moving and, unlike now, saved spells can be casted during the finishing motion after casting a spell. So with this change a Staff Evie can cast a spell with Focus and then chain saved spells resulting in a 4-spell combo.

In addition, a new buff SP skill named Focus Streak will be added. This buff allows Evie to start Focus on the same level as the spell she just casted.

For example if Evie casts a fourth tier Focus spell with Focus Streak up, holding on to the smash button will have her immediately start a new Focus on the fourth tier. Focus Streak will allow Staff Evies to deliver massive nukes when used in conjunction with the newly adjusted Casting Save system.

In order to allow Staff Evie to afford extra SP in the midst of using Reverse Gravity and other existing SP skills, the SP gain from Magic Arrow will be buffed. Some spells that can’t crit will be able to crit further adding to Stavff Evie’s damage potential.

One of Staff Evie’s weakness was difficulty in managing stamina but this will be addressed by allowing stamina to regenerate while maintaining Mana Amber.

The required stamina to use Mana Amber remains the same but, since stamina will be generated while it’s up, Evie will have stamina to react to a boss charging towards her after swatting away the Mana Amber.

A short invulnerability frame has been added to the recovery motion after breaking Amber. This invulnerability frame will not be applied when the Mana Amber is broken from damage and will only be available when Evie releases it or when its duration is over.
Staff Evie: More dakka, less dying.

quote:

-Dual Sword Vella

With the addition of bosses that attack from various directions[like Bark MK1], the current method of using Cross Cut was deemed to be difficult and thus Cross Cut can be used from attacks coming from any direction.

In addition, Cross stance can be used right after Cross Cut in order to deal with quick combo attacks more smoothly. For example, currently Keaghan’s 4-hit combo has to be dealt by getting out of range or delaying the use of Cross Double. But after the adjustment you can get right in to Cross Stance after Cross Cut and use Cross Cut again and thus use Cross Cut four times in a row.

Blade Heart will be easier to maintain. Currently flinching or using Cross Cut removes Blade Heart completely but after the adjustment Blade Heart will only lose one stack.

This will increase overall damage and also allow Blade Heart to be kept up while chaining Cross Cuts. Also, a full charged Gust Swing will grant 3 stacks of Blade Heart if it hits.

A new SP skill; Blade Will has been added. Blade Will gives you a buff that allows you to maintain three stacks of Blade Heart which won’t diminish even if you flinch or use Cross Cut.

The smash button needs to be pressed down for a moment to activate Typhoon Slash after using 1hit smash in order to avoid accidental use. Furthermore, a Typhoon Slash activated in this manner will skip the motion for drawing in monsters and go right in to its attack motion. This attack can be followed up with a 4hit smash by pressing the smash button again.

Storm Step had the problem of being followed by Gust Sting* which placed Vella in a risky situation so Vella’s 2hit smash will be used after Storm Step. And Gust Sting* can still be used after the 2hit smash if the player wants to.

*[afkalmighty : I’m pretty sure they meant Tumult Blade, which is called Gusty Blade in KR]

There were a lot of questions about Gusty Blade not being able to crit but this is intended due to the nature of the attack being a shockwave from slamming the ground.
I think it's great that the devs are fixing actual problems with Vella like the stupid directionality of Cross Cut and the way getting grazed for fifty health would cost you your buffs. On the other hand, I bet this is happening because Vella is someone's waifu.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

saw this got decent marks on Steam so I'm throwing this into my weekend play. I'm coconono on the East Coast server. Is there anyone else playing?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

coconono posted:

saw this got decent marks on Steam so I'm throwing this into my weekend play. I'm coconono on the East Coast server. Is there anyone else playing?

Yeah, I decided to pick it back up and will probably be playing on and off this weekend. Gotta decide whether to continue with my ~50 Evie or start one of the new characters.

Also someone needs to accept me into FartLords.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
On that note, give me the ability to invite people. I was on all day and got quite a few pms asking to be accepted but no one was online. I'm already in as Starfloot, but an extra inviter will always help alleviate issues.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just did the Gnoll boss solo and holy poo poo was that fun.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

coconono posted:

I'm not in a goon guild but if you want help with stuff on East I play a level 80 Vella named Holodeck.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sorry, I've been at my parents house for the holiday. Guild requests have been sorted and non-posters have been summarily rejected. Truly shameful.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

For some reason even though my character got rejected I had a stack of Guild level-up rewards in my mailbox. I clicked accept gift on all of them and now whenever I open my mailbox the game crashes with a Windows exception.

Amazing.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Is leveling still the same at higher levels? I got burned out grinding hidden back when I played.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It sounds like it's worth joining a guild judging from the OP, and this game has been really fun so far. Tossed a join request to FartLords as SwagBot9k1

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 30, 2013

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hy_C posted:

Is leveling still the same at higher levels? I got burned out grinding hidden back when I played.

Leveling past 60 is still pretty slow, and past 70 is extremely slow (like 14 million xp per level). The good news is that grinding Hidden or Colhen in Flames is terrible now because they nerfed the poo poo out of the exp you get from them.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

For some reason even though my character got rejected I had a stack of Guild level-up rewards in my mailbox. I clicked accept gift on all of them and now whenever I open my mailbox the game crashes with a Windows exception.

Amazing.

It sounds like you have a different error, but just in case: Most mailboxes crash if you mouseover on anything that's been mailed to you. I hope that's what's happening to you . . .

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Maintenance tomorrow or possibly Friday. Nexon is adding the season 2 episode 3 raids.

Also of interest, maybe:

quote:

Okay, here’s a rough translation.

The developer who wrote this Dev Note is Melzine. Apparently she’s the developer who originally wrote Vindictus’s Season 1 storyline. She left Nexon two years ago but now she’s back on the Vindictus team and oversaw the Season 1 story revamp.

They recognized that some stories require players to go through the same runs more than once, and other times stories just stop, forcing players to grind runs to level up and get the next main story.

They rearranged the stories so that if before, you had to finish Brynn’s Research three times to get all the main and side stories done, now you just have to run it once and three stories will be finished at once.

In doing so, some minor stories have been deleted. Others have had related NPCs or specific lines changed. Some of the earlier stories have been changed for believability. Before the revamp update the player just happens to visit Hoarfrost Hollow and accidentally discovers kobolds there, prompting the events of Episode 2. After the revamp the player has an actual reason for going there: he or she has been officially commissioned to investigate by the Royal Army.

Over 80% of the Season 1 runs will be made shorter. For example the Wind through the Ruins battle quest previously had 4 areas and made you load three times; after the revamp there will be only 3 areas.

They are also preparing character-specific stories: a Lann story, an Evie story, a Karok story, etc.

A couple of points I missed:

1. We’ll get more EXP for some stories than we did before, so hopefully no more grinding Hidden to level up.

2. Some Bonus Missions will also be changed; the Dev Note doesn’t elaborate on how they’ll change exactly.
Yeahhh, I don't think anything will stop people from grinding Hidden.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 15, 2014

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ArchWizard posted:

Maintenance tomorrow or possibly Friday. Nexon is adding the season 3 raids.

Also of interest, maybe:

Yeahhh, I don't think anything will stop people from grinding Hidden.

I'm pretty sure halving the exp you got mostly stopped people from grinding hidden in favor of Twilight Desert runs.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Bakalakadaka posted:

I'm pretty sure halving the exp you got mostly stopped people from grinding hidden in favor of Twilight Desert runs.
People still do the Hidden thing during bonus exp events, but I guess that doesn't count :frogbon:

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

New raids are out, Bark and Juggernaut.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

nickhimself posted:

More like a Korean MMORPG.

The economy is based on player interactions but people only help because they have no one else to talk to about the game.

Free to Play, but mostly a Pay-to-Win game focus with "Get Huge" DLC unavailable to most people.

You have to grind forever and, no matter how long you've been playing, there's always a whole crowd of guys who are hilariously over-leveled for the area and make you feel like poo poo about your progress because they look so much cooler in their gear than you do.

So you end up grouping with like-leveled players to commiserate over a lack of progress while frequently purchasing the dumbest DLC simply because you *think* one of those other dudes bought it, and you may have also heard something about how awesome it was on some website, yet no matter how many times you buy these packs, you fail to notice how ineffective they've been at everything but draining your wallet.

I think you guys would appreciate this post about bodybuilding.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I just discovered season 2. I have to say it is really really hard to solo a boss like Kaula at level 52 when you are forced into the 50-69 bracket. 9 health bars, a second boss that you can't kill first, enclosed space, can kill you in one combo if it all hits. Think I need to go back to season 1 for a while.

edit: The problem is the story only progresses if you are in your bracket.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2013

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I just discovered season 2. I have to say it is really really hard to solo a boss like Kaula at level 52 when you are forced into the 50-69 bracket. 9 health bars, a second boss that you can't kill first, enclosed space, can kill you in one combo if it all hits. Think I need to go back to season 1 for a while.

The 50-69 bracket is actually designed for 60+, and you can pick any level bracket when you start a season 2 boat. The 8-29 bracket is nice for AP daily runs.

Huh, I could have sworn I breezed through my story on 8-29 at level 80.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Uh, don't think that's the case. Unless they changed something.

Of course I haven't been able to play since S3 came out, THANKS WINDOWS 8.1.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish this game had less clicking through lovely dialogue and more shooting bitch monsters

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
My game kept crashing on launch for a few days but I got it to work this morning and logged in to find a +500at/mat 60 day enchant scroll o_O

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I wish this game had less clicking through lovely dialogue and more shooting bitch monsters

Oh, I don't know. By the time you get to S2 stuff, it gets pretty meta. Also anything with Shayla.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I don't know. By the time you get to S2 stuff, it gets pretty meta. Also anything with Shayla.
Aren't you forgetting someone?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ArchWizard posted:

Aren't you forgetting someone?

No. I am not. gently caress him and all his stupid quests.

They also better not kill Milo. And if they do, they better make it as horrifyingly needleslly graphic as Ellis

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No. I am not. gently caress him and all his stupid quests.

They also better not kill Milo. And if they do, they better make it as horrifyingly needleslly graphic as Ellis

I literally cannot imagine a person that is upset over Vindictus spoilers.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

Wait . . . you can READ the things they say?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Spoiler: Ellis gets smashed like a big stupid tomato wearing boy shorts.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

We don't even have Hurk and they're rumored to be creating another character: Lynn.

World Wide Game Watchers posted:

Lynn is a MATK fighter character who takes on an outfighter style of combat. Her basic attacks cause bursts of power that reach out in a range that is a bit shorter than Evie's magic arrows and her smashes are shockwaves.

The basics for her combat is centered around SP building and use. Her basic and smash attacks do little damage but replenish a lot of SP. She can use that SP to launch powerful attacks when a boss shows an opening.
The most basic attack pattern for her is to gather SP and when a boss is down she closes her distance with an SP skill that resembles a martial art joint strike. This attack can be chained and only the first strike consumes SP but the following strikes have long delays. So she has the choice to take the risk and do more SP-free damage or give up on the extra damage and fall back to safety.

Her basic gear is cloth and a knuckle. The concept behind using MATK is that she covers her fists and feet with mana when she attacks.
I guess she's some kind of wizard-monk?

Speaking of wizard-monks:

Can you name all of these characters? I can't.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 11, 2013

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Sakura Farron made a big list of Vindictus cosplays. Some are lame and some are amazing. This "Dora the Explorer" is the best of the bunch.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=undefined&contentNo=00HPw

Looks like its time for HURK tomorrow. Also a good chance of 10+ hours of extended maintenance if the episode 3 patch is any indication!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=undefined&contentNo=00HPw

Looks like its time for HURK tomorrow. Also a good chance of 10+ hours of extended maintenance if the episode 3 patch is any indication!

Nope. It was just to update Hackshield to work with W8.1 reliably.

e: sorry I missed them change the update page.

GaylordButts posted:

I literally cannot imagine a person that is upset over Vindictus spoilers.

Vindictus TryHard's are literally the worst people known to mankind. 20K ATT FOR THIS BOAT ONLY

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Servers are up and we have Christmas events. From the sound of it, Hurk really is in the game now. Whoever puts some time into playing Hurk needs to write a blurb for the OP.

• Locked thread