Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

As an odd goon who actually cares about this game's story, I must ask - Does anybody know what the changes to story Missions mentioned in the January patch notes entails? Is it just removing some of the grinding, or did they actually remove some of the charming side plots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
They streamlined the story and made it easier to level. The side plots like the friendship sword, Shayla's lost note, fetching hangover herbs for Brakkis and the ogre, those are still there and I haven't noticed any side stories missing. What I have noticed is that certain stuff is no longer a story requirement - Irukul is completely skipped and at level 70 I still don't have the quest to do him, Blood Lord is no longer required for progression, Klaus is a side story (was he always? I don't remember) and stuff like that.

The grinding is significantly lessened thanks in part to the presence of season 2 missions/quests. You can get to (or past) 60 just playing S1 story/side quests, though.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

That was a fantastic idea and I'm really glad they went through with it. This game is really fun to play just as an action-y JRPG and making the game more accessible definitely makes the story more fun to go through. Plus making the more difficult fights optional allows one to not hit a brick wall in the story when non-goons get stuck with pubbies or a lack of boats

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Do The Evolution posted:

They streamlined the story and made it easier to level. The side plots like the friendship sword, Shayla's lost note, fetching hangover herbs for Brakkis and the ogre, those are still there and I haven't noticed any side stories missing. What I have noticed is that certain stuff is no longer a story requirement - Irukul is completely skipped and at level 70 I still don't have the quest to do him, Blood Lord is no longer required for progression, Klaus is a side story (was he always? I don't remember) and stuff like that.

The grinding is significantly lessened thanks in part to the presence of season 2 missions/quests. You can get to (or past) 60 just playing S1 story/side quests, though.

They did away with some of the poo poo like Persuer's Ring where you had to go back and grind through every time that one dumbass Kobold showed up and cleaned up the 40-50 grind (which is literally the worst in the game.)

Also I hit 80 on my main, so I am gonna be running lower level stuff on my Fiona if people want to do thigns.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

A "game update" is going to happen soon. No additional details have been provided. Maybe it's S2E4.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Just got hit with a 8 gig update. Hopefully it's new content and not just them updating the Steam files.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Just got hit with a 8 gig update. Hopefully it's new content and not just them updating the Steam files.
It's mostly the Kai and Vella skill cap increases. The Rocheste<->Malina ferry should also work now. There are also a few Spring events: http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=200&contentNo=00Hgx. Meh bonus AP grind, terrible fruit fight grind for a 30-day inner armor enchant.

EDIT: Oh wow Colhen isn't gray and snowy any more

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 20, 2014

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Applied to diabetic dogs with my hurk CptMurphey

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

ArchWizard posted:

The Rocheste<->Malina ferry should also work now.

Hurray! The lack of a ferry there really hurt.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Just picked this up yesterday and am enjoying it so far. Im gonna apply to diabetic dogs tonight if they are still active.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I read through the thread and can't find why. So .. what's wrong with Evie? I just started and rolled her cause war scythes. What could possibly be wrong with anyone that rocks a bad-rear end war scythe?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There are April Fools' events going on now. Poe the Rabbit gave me a 7-day unlimited hair pass and I'll get another thing if I log in Saturday or Sunday. Also, the strange traveler will give you stuff. The bottles of happiness are safe to drink, so don't worry about that.

PadreScout posted:

I read through the thread and can't find why. So .. what's wrong with Evie? I just started and rolled her cause war scythes. What could possibly be wrong with anyone that rocks a bad-rear end war scythe?
Playing scythe Evie is like trying to fight by steering a battering ram.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

PadreScout posted:

We should be chill bros and play vindictus together. Im level 18, catch up!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ArchWizard posted:

There are April Fools' events going on now. Poe the Rabbit gave me a 7-day unlimited hair pass and I'll get another thing if I log in Saturday or Sunday. Also, the strange traveler will give you stuff. The bottles of happiness are safe to drink, so don't worry about that.

Playing scythe Evie is like trying to fight by steering a battering ram.

Steer a battering ram? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! :smugdog:

Hell yes I'll chill play with ya. Might take me forever to catch up though.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 1, 2014

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

PadreScout posted:

Its not that bad. I have a 70s Scythe Evie and the only real pain is on bosses like Keaghan or something that are really fast, because it gets really hard to pull off a LLLR or LLLLR combo without 40+ aspd. I feel like she really needs something like CB Vella's Biting Cold.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

PadreScout posted:

Hell yes I'll chill play with ya. Might take me forever to catch up though.

I will come and beat on poo poo with ya! I don't think there is a XP penalty for helping lowbies

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
This is some bullshit. I can be magical OR wield a kick-rear end scythe? Talk about tough calls. The scythe seems AWESOME for rooms full of enemies, but magic is good for bosses. I guess..... magic.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

PadreScout posted:

This is some bullshit. I can be magical OR wield a kick-rear end scythe? Talk about tough calls. The scythe seems AWESOME for rooms full of enemies, but magic is good for bosses. I guess..... magic.

You can be both if you want, just not on the same battle. I switch back and forth between staff and scythe depending on what I feel like playing.

vvv: Yeah they can. Nighthawk scythe superiority.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 3, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PadreScout posted:

Scythe Evies can out DPS Sword Lanns

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Scythe Evies can out DPS Sword Lanns

Scythe Evie it is!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
drat, that kobold chief is tough as scythe evie and i need to kill him like... lets go with 40 more times to get all my red leather for this ... witch outfit thing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PadreScout posted:

drat, that lakoria is tough as sword lann and i need to kill him like... lets go with 40 more times to get all my fanfs for this ... sword thingy.

fixed this

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Its more like 500 times to get 1/5 of the fangs you need cmon now.

muscle witch
Mar 27, 2006

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
2day i kicked everyone out of the milk party (rip) in an attempt 2 escape from those haunted remains. it would seem it was not ready to release me from its grim embrace? im alone now, forced to face a vin dictus that used to be. is this karma

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I finished my exquisite scarlet witch set. It seems I am now immediately tasked with making the adorable polar bear set. I am far off the mark by thinking.. the entire point is to constantly grind mats for equipment sets?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

PadreScout posted:

I finished my exquisite scarlet witch set. It seems I am now immediately tasked with making the adorable polar bear set. I am far off the mark by thinking.. the entire point is to constantly grind mats for equipment sets?
No, the point is to have fun killing things, then use the money you get killing things to buy equipment off the market.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Oh, the April Fools' events didn't stop on the 1st.

quote:

The snow is finally melting and warm weather and sunny skies have returned, a welcome sight for the beleaguered residents of Colhen and Rocheste. With the Fomors beaten back for now, the townsfolk have decided to bring back one of the season's most time-honored traditions: April Fools' Day!

What wacky nonsense do they have planned? You'll have to log in on April 1st to find out!

Event Semester Start Event
Period 4/2 - 4/15 (Weekday)
4/5 - 4/6 (Weekend)
4/12 - 4/13 (Weekend)
Rewards Devil Wings (Rare)
Premium Enhancement Rune
Other Consumable Items

After logging in to the game, at every hour, a gift box will be delivered to your Cash Inventory.

The flowers may be blooming but the arrival of April also means the end of spring break. Nooooooo!! Fortunately, the mercs and merchants of Vindictus have you covered. From April 2 to April 15 play Vindictus and you'll earn a gift box for every hour you're logged in. Prizes vary depending on whether you log in on a weekday or weekend and could include Devil Wings, Premium Enchantment Runes, and dozens of other consumables and goodies.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

When they say you could get wings or enchant runes that just means "we hope you like fishing rods and goddess grace and merc pots and consumables that give you +1 balance for 20 minutes."

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Bakalakadaka posted:

When they say you could get wings or enchant runes that just means "we hope you like fishing rods and goddess grace and merc pots and consumables that give you +1 balance for 20 minutes."
You'll be glad you have those fishing rods next time the Sunken Ignacht Treasure Box event rolls around :colbert:

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I have a pending request to join diabetic dogs, character name is jhorphear

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ArchWizard posted:

You'll be glad you have those fishing rods next time the Sunken Ignacht Treasure Box event rolls around :colbert:

Yup!

Bakalakadaka posted:

Its more like 500 times to get 1/5 of the fangs you need cmon now.

Yup. The drop rate on fangs is literally .25% per core. :smithicide:

ArchWizard posted:

No, the point is to have fun killing things, then use the money you get killing things to buy equipment off the market.

Until you hit 80 and then you cry and cry as you go through VVIP caps without ever getting a Lako Fang.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Assuming Heartbleed hasn't already stolen all of your poo poo, it's probably a good time to change your password.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's a Spring event going on:

quote:

In the grim, rain-soaked lands of Vindictus, celebrations are a welcome retreat from the horrors of war. This month, mercenaries from Rocheste to Colhen are hosting Spring Egg hunts to lift the peasants' spirits. The Fomors may still be lurking in the dark, but at least for now, there are smiles on the children's faces.

So log in to the game and start the Eggs-A-Plenty quest to embark on your egg-collecting adventure!

Date Wednesday April 16 – Tuesday April 29
Details - Log in to the game to receive a White Egg (1 distributed per hour per player).
- Defeat bosses to randomly acquire 1 of 5 Paint colors.
- Bring the White Egg and Paint to Aislinn to make a Colored Egg.
- Collect all 5 varieties of Colored Eggs to exchange for a gachapon.
- Gachapon could include an exclusive Bunny Ear Headband!

Sadly, such a respite must be a brief one. There is still evil prowling beyond the city walls, and it is up to you to vanquish it. Take part in this month's Ultimate Objective Event and you'll be rewarded handsomely for your efforts.
Ultimate Objective Event

Date Wednesday April 16 – Tuesday May 20, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM PDT
Details - Participate by defeating Raid Bosses.
- Details on which Bosses to hunt will be provided when you log in to the game.
- If the community reaches the target, all who participated will receive a reward pouch.
- Target monster changes daily.
Even in the spring there is hardship in Vindictus, but this month a light shines through the darkness, thanks to these exciting new events.
Oh no, it's one of those events where you earn things. Welp.

Also, some sort of costume party?!

quote:

Attention, good sirs and madams— you are invited to join us for tea and crackers as we celebrate the gothic side of the Vindictus community at our Masquerade Ball. Arrive at Malina in your best Goth fashion, armor or clothing – whichever best suits your devilish style – then mingle and relax with the Master of Ceremony. A few lucky party-goers will be rewarded for their attendance with special prizes, so this is an event you won’t want to miss.

West Server 5PM PDT on Thursday, April 17
East Server 4 PM PDT on Friday, April 18
AUS Server 4 PM PDT on Saturday, April 19
The Master of Ceremony will choose 5 winners at random from the Masquerade Ball guests on each server. Those lucky five will receive the following prizes:

Prizes
-Dazzle 'Em Dead Package
-Shining Halo
-Prime Wild Rock Set / Prime Gothic Frill Set
Time to dust off that Succubus outfit, mercenaries.
I hate parties! :argh:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

People are getting really good stuff from the Ultimate Objective Event and you don't even need to contribute to get the reward pouches. I recommend hanging out online and doing stuff, or maybe chatting with goonbros, or maybe even helping with the objectives if you're that bored.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

So apparently there is a new boss coming with an interesting qte :staredog:
:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2yyavoZM5Y :nws:

Cannot wait to fight this boss and watch everyone fail the qte lmao.

edit: lmao

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2014

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Nexon is running an "event" to trick you into spending money. Buy one enchantment rune/get one free, +5% success rate to enchanting, and you can spend $4 to get a pack of fixed-Br enchantment elixirs. It's dumb.

Bakalakadaka posted:

So apparently there is a new boss coming with an interesting qte :staredog:
:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2yyavoZM5Y :nws:

Cannot wait to fight this boss and watch everyone fail the qte lmao.
That's really weird and disgusting. QTEs :barf:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Can we change the thread title to "Wilhelm Nipple Dungeon"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I hate Brynn.

Finally got a Mael -- then blow both my enchant runes (prem, and reg) on it with 50% success rate.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
I logged in for the first time in over a year and all of my lowbie characters have like 24k AP even after maxing out all of the skills I could afford to buy. I guess I'll be playing for a while longer. Is gold hard to come by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Tequila posted:

I logged in for the first time in over a year and all of my lowbie characters have like 24k AP even after maxing out all of the skills I could afford to buy. I guess I'll be playing for a while longer. Is gold hard to come by?

Gold is pretty hard to come by because you get fuckall from running missions and everything worth money has super low droprates. Fortunately money isn't too important til you get to 70+ and want to get a good weapon or armor.

• Locked thread