Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NinjaSteve posted:

It's an embarrassment. On a lighter note, Big Willy Gallas has reportedly signed for Perth.

That's pretty cool. I hope he continues to wander up the pitch and try and score goals in his old age. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

dj_pain posted:

Boss out :(

Yeah read that. He's just too broken?

I will always remember him, and respect him, for his amazing work with Berisha.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

P sure Sydney are clearing Boss so we can sign the Gypo.

Re Victory's compensation, I have a feeling the FFA pulled out some clause in the licence agreement that says something like "the club will release parties for the Nat Team at the FFAs discretion without due compensation"

It's definitely in place for the players (that's why under age players are always loving off even outside of FIFA dates) and must be the only explanation for such a back down.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Goddamnit, why is Victory determined to gently caress itself out of everything that made it successful in the first place??

I don't give a poo poo about the Socceroos if it fucks up the domestic league. I just don't want Muscat to be in charge for any amount of time, and I don't want Victory to neuter it's support and become like an AFL cheer squad with people sitting behind the goals and chanting "melbourne clapclapclap melbourne clapclapclap".

gently caress everything, I'm grumpy and I didn't want Ange to go :saddowns:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
As a Mariners fan life is peachy. This'll probably drive Arnie even more onward.

Should be a good match this weekend at home against a genuine title contender* in Adelaide United. Hoping for a crowd a tick over 10K if the weather god is kind, a solid 8K if not.

It'll be interesting to see if the exposure on FTA drives seasons attendances over the summer. I've always argued it would complement natural growth, so here is to hoping I was right. If we get over 10K when last year we were doing 8K-ish in non derby games, then i'd have to put it down to the FTA effect.

*Until Adelaide gently caress up midseason and limp into the finals

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Tongues posted:

Goddamnit, why is Victory determined to gently caress itself out of everything that made it successful in the first place??

I don't give a poo poo about the Socceroos if it fucks up the domestic league. I just don't want Muscat to be in charge for any amount of time, and I don't want Victory to neuter it's support and become like an AFL cheer squad with people sitting behind the goals and chanting "melbourne clapclapclap melbourne clapclapclap".

gently caress everything, I'm grumpy and I didn't want Ange to go :saddowns:

australian_football.txt

In good news the sydney derby is a sell out.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Good news with the derby!

I'm currently sitting on the train heading into etihad, who's up for beers and sorrow drowning??

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pretty much everything the main commentator says is completely wrong

Eg. "he'll get a card for that" gets nothing
"great first touch " losses it immediately.

It's uncanny.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Mitch Nichols has dominated the first half hour

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Really bad first touches, pathetic shots and stupid offsides have dominated the first 35.

E: this game did not deserve a goal that good/lucky.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 25, 2013

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It has been at an improved pace so far.

And I think Archie maybe heading over the hill.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Archie has completely forgotten what the offside rule is.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Archie has completely forgotten what the offside rule is.

I wonder what the award is for the most number of offsides in a season?

Because we may as well give it to him now, I can't see anyone catching him even if he breaks a leg tomorrow.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
How does last week's brisbane become this weeks brisbane. Its like they wen't to sleep and woke up controlled by my 5 a side team.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Pretty sure Archie had more offsides than shots on goals.

He'll come good

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Archie's lost that yard of acceleration which means that where it would have been marginally offside and he might have gotten away with it, now he's just a mile offside. Good win though, Troisi will be a quality player at this level once he gets in sync with the rest of the team.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The mariners' fans certainly like playing the tetris theme.

E: Sydney has the absolute worst defence I've ever seen.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 26, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Shooter is back in the A-League. Who knew?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

The mariners' fans certainly like playing the tetris theme.

drat if that band ain't tops.

Good day, good turnout, early goal and then eighty minutes of two defences strangling the poo poo out of each other, with Adelaide tiring towards the end. Mariners should have got at least another two.

Still, best start to a season for a while, and Adelaide will feature in the post season.

It's also weird driving back and listening to David Morrow :psyduck: and Debbie Spillane call the A-League on the ABC. He did OK for a Soccer calling newbie, just needs to work on his descriptive play and keep the sidetrack into colour commentary down a bit more.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I reckon Frank's got 2 weeks. A loss against at Tards at home will just be too much to bare.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
This week's Hyundai A-League game of the week on Fox Sport 2 is Melbourne Hearts taking on Perth Glory starting at 2am est/1am cst/ 11pm pst.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know if big Billy G is playing for the glory this week?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Byolante posted:

Anyone know if big Billy G is playing for the glory this week?

Apparently he is here, and the word was Panta was going to make way for him.

Well Welly and the Jets wasn't a high standard. Still good turn out at Napier though.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 27, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jets still haven't scored a single goal for fucks sake.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Adnar posted:

I reckon Frank's got 2 weeks. A loss against at Tards at home will just be too much to bare.

a repeat of last year? thank god we haven't gotten spanked 7-2..... Yet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Jets still haven't scored a single goal for fucks sake Suck

Fixed that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

Fixed that.
:thejoke:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Even though Perth won, Heart are definitely not as shite as years past. They'll break that away hoodoo sooner rather than later.

Perth stadium looks nice and lovely, although it seems a fair chunk (if not all) of the terracing has been converted to seating? Say it ain't so?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just want a goal to cheer for :(

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

MiniSune posted:

Even though Perth won, Heart are definitely not as shite as years past. They'll break that away hoodoo sooner rather than later.

Perth stadium looks nice and lovely, although it seems a fair chunk (if not all) of the terracing has been converted to seating? Say it ain't so?

Correct, the shed is still standing but everywhere else has seats. Having said that though, the two central bays of the home end are designated active support areas, where standing and singing and waving flags are all encouraged (and even the Glory CEO joined us in there in the first half yesterday).

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Adnar posted:

P sure Sydney are clearing Boss so we can sign the Gypo.

You're not the first person to say that (But I think we have the same source)

Anyways this weeks free game will be WSW v Adelaide.
It will be a pretty interesting game.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The crowd is putting in, but Wanderers seem to fade a bit there in the first half, and Adelaide started to get their poo poo in a pile.

I smell an upset if Adelaide can bag one.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Elyse perry is hilariously nervous as a sideline commentator.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Whomever posted and said the SBS team is completely devoid of charisma and ability to read from a teleprompter was right on the money.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

LordPants posted:

Whomever posted and said the SBS team is completely devoid of charisma and ability to read from a teleprompter was right on the money.

I said something like that, and they're as terrible as ever. The only cure is to get foxtel.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I said something like that, and they're as terrible as ever. The only cure is to get foxtel.

This is the only answer.

Also ignore every prediction I make ever.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I think it might be time to crowd source SBS punditry. Whenever I go to a game I'm surrounded by 20 or so pissed up experts who know every drat thing about the game or at least are passionate enough to sound like they give a drat even when hilariously wrong.

In my sunday league side we usually end up recording the games and someone always does commentary where they just rip poo poo off everyone on the field until the game ends, surely it's time we get Everyone's Mate Bazza to add some life and interest

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Jest vs Mariners: First 15 looked good, then all turned to a bit of poo poo. Not the most inspiring of games so far.

Edit: And the second half had everything: Stupid players, Stupid Refs, and Stupid, Stupid own goals and pens with a two more scrappy goals. Two all was fitting.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 2, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
This week Hyundai A-League game of the week on Fox Sports 2 is Melbourne Heart vs Brisbane Roar starting at 1am est/12am cst/10pm pst. During the game we in the US will be going out of Daylight saving times which mean the game will end around 2am local time after going thru the 1 o'clock hour twice according to my on screen tv guide. It also means all the games will start a hour earlier from now on until the grand final which normally lands on the day we go back on daylight saving times in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Holy poo poo that second half! Don't think my arsehole has been that puckered in years

• Locked thread