Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I thought it was decent, pilots are often pretty weak. If it improves from here I'll keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
So many tired and overused TV/Movie clichés. The only redeeming thing was Spader himself. poo poo writing,pacing,plot and acting describes the rest. If it doesn't improve I predict it will get 8 seasons. If it does improve it will get cancelled in one.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so the goon consensus is that this was as advertised - everything sucks but Spader owns?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How can anyone be proud of making/selling this poo poo considering Hannibal is on the same network?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

so the goon consensus is that this was as advertised - everything sucks but Spader owns?

Yes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This show is dumb as hell, but Spader is fun enough that it might be worth checking back in on a few more episodes. Plus there were a couple of moments when the show seemed to betray a vague sense of self-awareness; it could be watchable if they ramp up the campiness just a little bit more.

Place your bets now- female lead and Brody's war buddy bang over/under six episodes from now?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 24, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Well it wasn't great but it's no Dexter so I'll give it a few more. I really can't stand Spader though so if it doesn't find its legs soon enough I won't bother.

I did laugh uproariously at the happy bomb man though and that apparently all you need to close a major bridge in a nations capital is to borrow Cranstons methlab suit.

I'm presuming they are related but not father/daughter, something anyway due to the plot convenient not around parents.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Robnoxious posted:

I seem to recall Person Of Interest got the same course of disdain after it's pilot episode and well beyond before the worm finally turned.

To be fair, most of that was people misinterpreting Cavizel's intentional PTSD-like state as bad acting. Goons had the exact same problem with the first few episodes of Fringe.

This though? Yeah... thanks but no thanks.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The Blacklist debuted to 12.6 mil/3.8, dominating the 10 o’clock hour.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

lomzus posted:

I just watched Hostages and that was hugely better out of the gate imho compared to this show yet got thrashed in the ratings and looks like it hasn't even warranted a thread on here. Then again even Castle fans appear to be jaded enough for it not get its own thread this season.

I guess I'm just an out of touch old fogey viewer nowadays >.< :corsair:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

lomzus posted:

Wow NBC won the night. I wonder how many virgins they had to sacrifice to get those numbers.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:

Raged posted:

If it doesn't improve I predict it will get 8 seasons. If it does improve it will get cancelled in one.

Too right! I liked it enough to stick with it a few eps.

Now, on to the important task at hand; gif of the happy man gleefully running away with the bomb! Go!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I ...didn't hate it.

It definitely felt a little all over the place, but I think it's got potential.

It's much better if you watch it directly after watching Secretary and just imagining James Spader's character is the same.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fazana posted:

I just watched Hostages and that was hugely better out of the gate imho compared to this show yet got thrashed in the ratings and looks like it hasn't even warranted a thread on here. Then again even Castle fans appear to be jaded enough for it not get its own thread this season.

I guess I'm just an out of touch old fogey viewer nowadays >.< :corsair:

I like to think that the majority of Castle fans are nothing but Firefly fans whose sole reason for watching it is to find Firefly references. It used to be a pretty decent show, but eh...just kinda petered out. I might make a half-assed Castle thread tonight if no one else has.

Anyway, about Blacklist: Rewatched the pilot and it's almost like it can't figure out what kind of show it wants to be and things just...are weird dumb for dramatic effect:
1) So the Spader walks into the FBI building, nobody recognizes him with his magic hat on. Hands the guard behind the glass his passport, then alarms go off and every guard with a gun instantly takes aim at him. Okay. You'd think that every FBI employee in the building could recognize "one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives" on sight. But whatever...
2) What was the point of dropping tear gas (I think) in the SUV after its already on its side and the Russian dude says "We kill her (the kid) if you shoot one more person" to hot female star lead. Who by the way, is apparently immune to tear gas. Or maybe it was a smoke grenade? I don't know.
3) How is it possible that the everyone in the FBI is that goddamned stupid? Or maybe they just want the Spader to appear to the smart by virtue of everyone else having the IQ of a pet rock.
4) Fire the person who picked the music.

MetalFace
Jul 27, 2005
Join Us In Creating Excellence
In the pictures the FBI had of Reddington, he had long hair and a beard. So I can accept that randoms in the lobby didn't recognize him with his new look.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I knew something bizarre was going to happen with the protagonist's husband (or he was going to have some sort of hidden backstory) the instant I saw him on the screen. That's how predictable these shows are getting. My suspicions were confirmed at the end of the episode.

Regardless, it's got James Spader hamming it up, Alan Shore-style, so i'll give it a shot this season.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think you folks complaining are ignoring the fact that James Spader's popped collar coat and fedora (along with the incredible smugness) make him look like the world's most dangerous criminal is awkwardly nice-guying the bartender at a Minecraft con. That is a beautiful thing and I will watch every single episode in which it is included.

Edit: Proper goddamned grammar!

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 25, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the show was decent, the lead lady wasn't bad, Spader was Spader, and that I'm going to watch it a bit more to reserve any further judgement.

Sorry I didn't hate it :ohdear:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
There were interesting moments but a lot of bad ones as well. It was surprisingly ugly for something Joe Carnahan directed, and cliched as gently caress. I guess I'll watch next weeks to see if it clicks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

I knew something bizarre was going to happen with the protagonist's husband (or he was going to have some sort of hidden backstory) the instant I saw him on the screen. That's how predictable these shows are getting. My suspicions were confirmed at the end of the episode.

Regardless, it's got James Spader hamming it up, Alan Shore-style, so i'll give it a shot this season.

Yeah, he seemed like such a nice, boring loser he was bound to either die in the pilot, or harbor a terrible secret. Turns out it was almost both.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah, he seemed like such a nice, boring loser he was bound to either die in the pilot, or harbor a terrible secret. Turns out it was almost both.

Just another case of Chekov's Spouse.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just watched it and it was ... alright, I guess. James Spader loving owned and my main draw will be seeing how much he hams it up and how high his :smuggo: reaches. Keen wont be Spader's daughter because I refuse to believe any writer would be that dumb and obvious. FBI dudes are hella dumb tho.

James Spader. Happy Slavic Fun Bomb Guy was also cool. I hope he turns out to be the true mastermind or something. Or at least a recurring character.

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 25, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DOOP posted:

Just watched it and it was ... alright, I guess. James Spader loving owned and my main draw will be seeing how much he hams it up and how high his :smuggo: reaches. Keen wont be Spader's daughter because I refuse to believe any writer would be that dumb and obvious.
Boy have I got news for you...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Boy have I got news for you...

I can't think of any other possible outcome.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Frackie Robinson posted:

He's either a distantly-removed uncle or he owes lead girl's father his life. Take your pick.

I'm just going to assume from the start that they're going to steal as much as they can from Alias without getting sued.

Yet, according to an interview I just read, they're bringing in Parminder Nagra as lead girl's 'mentor,' which while that's good because I like her, but I just hope it's not one of those "the FBI thinks you need someone to question you at every turn and secretly spy on you" things they love to do on shows like this.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Just watched the pilot, and overall I thought it was good. James Spader never ceases to amaze me with the level of :smug: he can pull off while not looking like a dick. I'm really hoping the writers stick to a "bad guy of the week" format and don't try this season long arch poo poo that's killed several of my favorite shows. Also, needs more happy Ukrainian bomber guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JRay88 posted:

Just watched the pilot, and overall I thought it was good. James Spader never ceases to amaze me with the level of :smug: he can pull off while not looking like a dick. I'm really hoping the writers stick to a "bad guy of the week" format and don't try this season long arch poo poo that's killed several of my favorite shows. Also, needs more happy Ukrainian bomber guy.

The lack of any sort of "Rimbaldi" MacGuffin would be welcome, too.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that the Ukrainian guy is in literally every episode, and literally every episode he is in he gleefully runs away with an explosive

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I really liked it. Maybe. Don't watch enough of these shows because I didn't see all of the 'twists' coming, I figured the husband would be dead but not until Spader said something did I think there was more.

As far as her father, I thought it was him when she accused him of leaving his wife and daughter on Christmas Eve, that sounded way too personal for her not to gave been involved. The comment about her father being a criminal and the FBI didn't know screams that she's got serious secrets. But the burn on her wrist was from her father and that doesn't fit Spader's character so far. I'm interested enough though not expecting anything too clever. Then again I liked the pilot for the Following and that turned into a steaming pile of boring by the third episode.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

She fakes her own death to be a lumberjack

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Spader was good, there was almost nothing to the pilot that they hadn't shown months ago in the extended trailer and what they hadn't previewed before was fairly predictable. I'll watch a few more episodes in the hope it improves but it's definitely not a must watch after the pilot.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Man, this was total garbage. I really wanted to like it too.

I was laughing much more than I should have, the giant red digital beeping countdown bomb seen through the backpack comes to mind.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
As others have said, Spader being peak Spader and happy bomb man were the highlights of the pilot, attractive female lead and show premise being mediocre, and everything else being loving horrible. I'll give it a few more because I love me some Spader, but I'm hopping this turns into a show where the first [few] episode[s] suck but it's legitimate complaints are addressed and fixed... basically the exact opposite that happened with Newsroom.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Holy poo poo the hyperbole in this thread.

This wasn't great but it also wasn't totally horrible. Too hard to tell from one pilot but a couple of episodes should indicate which way the wind is blowing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think it's a bit looser and that Spader knew her father, her father saved his life, and there's some sort of 'bad guy's code' thing going on.

That's absolutely my theory as well, there's no way it isn't that. He's obviously not her father unless everything in the Pilot was a steaming pile of lovely misdirection.

Spader made The Office great, he can do anything.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Wow, I love how people are trashing this show but lauding praise on the piece of crap that was Agents of SHIELD. Was The Blacklist great? No. But it was a decent show that jumped right into the action and certainly held my attention better than Agents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As I said earlier and a couple others have said, it reminded me very much of the pilot for Person of Interest, and we see how that turned out, so... I'm cautiously optimistic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wow, I love how people are trashing this show but lauding praise on the piece of crap that was Agents of SHIELD. Was The Blacklist great? No. But it was a decent show that jumped right into the action and certainly held my attention better than Agents.

I couldn't agree more. While they were both pretty cliche, this was just more interesting to me. I guess Spader smug can keep my watching while Whedon dialogue just makes me annoyed.

edit: haha, I can't believe the mods locked the SHIELD thread just because people dared to discuss the flaws of the pilot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 26, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty weak move closing that thread too :shrug:

CelestialScribe posted:

Holy poo poo the hyperbole in this thread.

This wasn't great but it also wasn't totally horrible. Too hard to tell from one pilot but a couple of episodes should indicate which way the wind is blowing.

Your fair opinion isn't black and white enough for TVIV, please :frogout:

berzerkmonkey posted:

To be fair to that thread, the dumbest part of the thread was the people crying that the cast was too attractive. Most people didn't really use strong opinions one way or another on the show. A lot of "I was underwhelmed", "I was pleasantly surprised", very even in tone imo. Of course you had people saying it was garbage and they were checking out on day one, but that isn't any less of a valid opinion either.

There are shows here that some people like and talking poo poo about them will end up getting a thread closed because of whatever reason. But you can look at Revolution, Under the Dome, Sons of Anarchy, where they aren't as liked by some people and it seems to matter a lot less. The literal first line of the first post in the SOA thread is an animated gif that repetedly says gently caress KURT SUTTER (the show runner)

E: I just wanted to clarify, kurt sutter should absolutely go get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: haha, I can't believe the mods locked the SHIELD thread just because people dared to discuss the flaws of the pilot.

That's not why it was closed.

• Locked thread