Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

djf posted:

Okay so it's 4 episodes in and it's safe to say this is a pretty bad show. The concept has potential but unless they make the antagonists a step-up from the kind of bad dudes in most TV cop dramas it just doesn't hold up. When the drug lord turned down a plea bargain to give up the stewmaker by saying "you don't know who you're hunting, i'll take my chances with homeland" you're expecting a pretty interesting character. Instead we get slightly unhinged dentist who dissolves bodies in his own wood cabin. We're seriously meant to believe this guy has been working for repressive regimes around the world?

I'd like this show if the first 5 minutes was Spader giving the run down on the bad-rear end of the week and then 55 minutes of the team trying to catch him. Every other plot point is boring to me.

Yeah this show has points where you think it's going to be interesting, then some character development just throws you for a loop. I've had a number of "huh?" moments while watching the first few episodes.

Xaris posted:

(Someone help me)

I want to, I'm a fan of bad TV shows, but I just can't seem to get into this one. I never get drawn into the episode enough to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

This show is wonderfully awful. I think they can't afford better writers because they spent the cash on amazing guest stars. We've had Skinny Pete, Isabella Rossellini, and Francis Dolarhyde aka the Tooth Fairy. :mmmhmm:

I can't wait for next week's installment of SpaderSmug Adventures featuring NotOliviaWilde and her sidekick The Little Ginger Moron.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, let's face it, this week's "Manta Ray" was the fact that there are no chemicals on earth corrosive enough to dissolve a body in roughly five seconds' time before an FBI Rapid Response Team kicks down the door.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, let's face it, this week's "Manta Ray" was the fact that there are no chemicals on earth corrosive enough to dissolve a body in roughly five seconds' time before an FBI Rapid Response Team kicks down the door.

We weren't meant to believe that his whole body was dissolved, just that he was paralyzed and submerged in a tub of acid for a good five or ten seconds and thus died.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

We weren't meant to believe that his whole body was dissolved, just that he was paralyzed and submerged in a tub of acid for a good five or ten seconds and thus died.

The FBI also asked Spader at the end where he was, and Spader said he must've escaped. So it did dissolve his body pretty quickly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The FBI also asked Spader at the end where he was, and Spader said he must've escaped. So it did dissolve his body pretty quickly.

"The barely recognizable rapidly-dissolving goo in that tub of red stuff must be some other poor schmuck...right, Lizzy? Not like you'll be able to DNA test any of it."

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I gave it four episodes and I'm done for now, will ask around at the end of the season to find out if it got any better. Hostages is miles better but will no doubt be cancelled due to more people enjoying this.

I just can't stand the ineptitude required for the FBI etc to operate at for SmugSpaders character to be able to do what he does. You could swap out almost all of Donalds dialogue with "Hodor!" and barely change his level of competence. Good job the FBI evidence room in the same facility they build escape proof containment vessels apparently has no cctv so the chap who let her wander past and root around could launch a proper investigation.

Cameos from the HappyBombMan might have kept me coming back but alas, he hasn't been seen again.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Finally watched the most recent episode and I'm still really, really liking this show. Sorry for the rest of y'all. v :) v

My favorite line:

CIA Lady: How did you get here?
Reddington: That's a nice blouse. :smug: *walks away*

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Whenever I see Spader, I keep thinking that if this show were done in the nineties/early 2000s, I could see William Shatner doing the same role, with exactly the same kind of delivery.

This is a good thing. Count me on the "enjoying this show" list!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Tonights episode is...

Episode 5: The Courier

Messenger Robert Knepper is on the run but Red and the FBI don't know his appearance. Elizabeth ends up in the middle of a kidnapping plot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I swear to god that's last week's episode with three words changed, from the description.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
He's the greatest courier of all time. Completely untraceable.

You can find him in the park at 2 PM. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read a book that smart people read.

Edit: Hooray for torture!

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
The FBI in this show are nowhere near as stupid as the FBI in The Following, but they are just as uninteresting to watch.

Another thing, that refrigerator had no latch and was maybe 4 inches underground! There is no way that you couldn't open that with a little effort.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh no, guys.

The ~Adversary~

Welcome to Alias-land. Soon they'll be relic-hunting for "Romboldo" stuff.

Aside from that:

"Hey, let's totally put this guy who can't feel pain with unknown things hidden in his body in a transport van and leave him unsupervised. If he had an escape kit hidden he'd have *already* tried picking his cuffs while confined in this ultra-security facility, RIGHT?" :downs:

Once again, FBI Guy's only a good actor when he's pretending to be a bad guy. Oh my, I hope that isn't *foreshadowing*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Digging the music on this show, outside of that awful use of Sinnerman a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-9Xr1a9LQ4

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The show really wasted an Knepper on a really dumb character.

KilGrey posted:

Finally watched the most recent episode and I'm still really, really liking this show. Sorry for the rest of y'all. v :) v
I enjoy this show too. It does have some parallels to The Following in how over-the-top unrealistic it is and how useless the FBI appear to be, but unlike The Following it is not constantly trying to be grimdark and intellectual. I feel like this show knows what we want (Spader being a douche) and is willing to give it to us

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"I just found out my fiance(?) actually really is killer/spy/agent and he 'really needs to talk'. Better head home and face him instead of calling the authorities."

This entire show is incredibly :downs: and I don't know if I'm still watching it for anything other than Spader being smug.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sereri posted:

I don't know if I'm still watching it for anything other than Spader being smug.

You say this like there's another possible reason.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sereri posted:

"I just found out my fiance(?) actually really is killer/spy/agent and he 'really needs to talk'. Better head home and face him instead of calling the authorities."

This entire show is incredibly :downs: and I don't know if I'm still watching it for anything other than Spader being smug.
That's certainly the only reason I'm still watching it!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

SKINNY PETE!
In a suit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just watched the first five episodes last night and today to catch up on this, I kinda like it. It's dumb, the FBI agents are painfully incompetent, but it has James Spader being a smug dickhead and that's enough for me.

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
I had a big post about everything that was wrong with that last episode, then I realized how stupid it is to try and think about anything that I'd just watched in a logical manner.

gently caress this show.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Is it just me or is Ressler ( FBI agent) just a poorly written character? I have known many FBI agents and no way in hell he would be able to act like this guy's character has been written. Also, the FBI in this show must have been the bottom of their class at Quantico, as they have absolutely no idea what the hell they are doing.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

When the head of the FBI guy was saying to bring French woman in and Red was having to explain to him why this was stupid (because of course he'd need it explained to him) all I could think of was a line Saul had in the first season of Homeland: "an arrest at this time would be of negative value."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they aren't taking away from the entertainment value of smug dickhead Spader by surrounding him with competent people. That would take away from the reason to watch this!

At some point the sheer stupid is going to be too much but I might as well see how dumb it gets. They're seemingly blowing their wad early on Super Spy husband but maybe there'll be a curve with Apple Guy or something.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tortolia posted:

I'm glad they aren't taking away from the entertainment value of smug dickhead Spader by surrounding him with competent people. That would take away from the reason to watch this!

At some point the sheer stupid is going to be too much but I might as well see how dumb it gets. They're seemingly blowing their wad early on Super Spy husband but maybe there'll be a curve with Apple Guy or something.

He's going to be constipated Apple Guy soon if he doesn't stop eating apples all day long.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This show is amazing. All of the characters are either unlikable or evil, so when something bad happens to them it's actually pretty satisfying. I love watching Elizabeth be punished with psychological trauma every episode.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elizabeth is loving retarded, naive, stupid, and constantly looks like she is about to burst into tears.

The FBI are loving incompetent beyond all belief.

James Spader owns, I was this show for the 5 minutes of :smug: he does each episode.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I enjoyed this episode, it was nice to see T-Bag again. Which they'd used him more, he didn't really get to let his full psycho out. I did find it funny his character was attached to a jail break yet again. One of my favorite things was the episode of Breakout Kings he was on. I'm looking forward to next week and what goes down with Lizzie and her husband.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

KilGrey posted:

I enjoyed this episode, it was nice to see T-Bag again. Which they'd used him more, he didn't really get to let his full psycho out. I did find it funny his character was attached to a jail break yet again. One of my favorite things was the episode of Breakout Kings he was on. I'm looking forward to next week and what goes down with Lizzie and her husband.

The way they're criminally underusing guest talent makes me wonder if there isn't a clause in Spader's contract saying that only he and whoever this Adversary guy is can be the only persistent 'big bads.'

Also, this show will redeem everything wrong with it if the Adversary is a ~serious face~ Shatner.

...or George Takei.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 28, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is an awesome thread. Read the op and first few posts; everyone is optimistic. Skip to last page, everyone is calling it terrible.

I was briefly interesting in checking it out based on Spader alone, but it sounds like poo poo so gently caress that noise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Basically, we are watching it for Spader :smug:.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They should just rename the show The Amazing Spader-Man and go with that.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Episode 6: Gina Zanetakos

After Tom confronts Liz about the box, Red informs Liz and the FBI that the next name on the Blacklist is beautiful and deadly corporate terrorist Gina Zanetakos, a person who Red believes knows a lot more about Tom than he is willing to admit.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Riso posted:

Basically, we are watching it for Spader :smug:.

There is no doubt that it's a horrible show but Spader is so drat entertaining that I'm not going to stop watching any time soon.

Also, Shatner guest starring would be amazing.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So he confronted her with his secret box...and then he gets pissy and denies all wrongdoing. Wrongdoing proven by the box he just voluntarily showed her. And then he tells her to call the FBI because he has nothing to hide, and proceeds to poo poo himself when she actually does.

What the hell is even happening anymore?

Edit: The government is run by a shadowy cabal of corporate interests, and they have a Blacklist member who organizes attacks for them. Let's get her arrested and placed in the custody of that same federal government.

Edit 2: Inject an overdose of drugs into victim's neck, dump pills around body, hope to God the coroner never bothers to check stomach contents.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 29, 2013

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Snooki isn't buying any of his lies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FBI Guy: "Whatever you do, don't kill her!"
Lizzy: "Kill her? I want to talk to her!"

*FBI Guy puts two into her upper chest instead of kicking her in the face*

-----

FBI Guy: We've got ten minutes, what are we gonna do about this car bomb that's *actually* the car? We should keep saying that because it sounds TOTALLY cool despite being completely irrelevant.

Bomb Squad Guy: gently caress if I know, I've suddenly forgotten all I know about electrical engineering because I'm so taken aback by how cool a car bomb that's *actually* the car is, and I seem to be the only guy with 'bomb squad' on my costume. Run, maybe?

Me Talking to the TV: Chuck the loving car into the water. It's port water, no one fishes in it, and you're in Texas, which is already the most polluted state in the Union.

FBI Guy: Clearly we should stand around for 30 seconds and talk tensely about how bad it'd be if it explodes where it is.

Lizzy: Oh hey I know let's dunk it in the water!

FBI Guy: It's surrounded by shipping crates! How do you propose we get it into the water now that we've magically wasted five minutes in only 90 seconds' time!?!? I'm going to glower *derisively* at you now. I don't know what that word means but I heard it used once and it does NOT sound complimentary.

Port Authority Guy: We do have these nifty things called 'cranes,' you know.

FBI Guy: Okay, FINE. Enough with the loving LOGIC. But I totally get to do some Jack Bauer poo poo. You faggots aren't gonna steal my glory by just pushing it into the drink or just telling the crane guy to drop it, thereby buying us extra sinking time. Imma drive this bitch off the pier and bale at the last possible second like a fukkin' BOSS, *without* consulting with the bomb squad guy about the possibility that the ignition isn't booby-trapped or anything since this car was never *intended* to be driven once it was placed on the boat. That might be bad. Oh well, gently caress it! VROOM VROOM, BITCHES!

*BLOOMP*

FBI Guy: Yeah, let's all totally stand on the side of this pier and stare down at the Cobalt-60 salts accumulating at the surface giving us all a good soak in gamma rays. I'm a badass, right? Totally more badass than you, Ms. Terrorist Woman. You haven't even killed anyone yet. You'd probably cry for days - need *counseling* and poo poo.

-----

Spader: Ah, art, booze, and money. My life *rocks* except for mild shipping glitches and having to wet-nurse incompetent loving children. Sucks to be anyone else. :smug:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 29, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Holy poo poo, what a twist. The whole time, Red "Dead" Skelton was framing her husband to make her think that he was a secret agent! And she played right into his hands, as he plotted to....uh.....brush off the plot line in the next episode so they can hunt the next person on the Blacklist, The Most Deadly ______ in all of ________.

And man, "playing all the sides" in Syria! It's too bad the federal agencies are too busy being impossibly dumb to stop the worst war criminal in history that they technically have in custody but not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure the villain next time is Wilson from House. I can't wait to see how they completely squander his talent for small screen drama as they did with Tom Noonan and Robert Knepper.

EDIT: Yup.

Episode Title: (#107) “FREDERICK BARNES”

11/04/2013 (10:01PM – 11:00PM) (Monday) : LIZ AND THE FBI HUNT FOR A MAD SCIENTIST – ROBERT SEAN LEONARD GUEST STARS – After a chemical attack on a subway, Liz (Megan Boone) and the FBI search for the man responsible. Liz reluctantly calls on Red (James Spader) for his help after she finds her search for the next person on the blacklist, brilliant scientist Frederick Barnes (guest star Robert Sean Leonard), heading to a dead end. Meanwhile, Liz wants nothing to do with Red after he implicated Tom (Ryan Eggold). Diego Klattenhoff, Parminder Nagra, Harry Lennix also star.

-----

On a completely unrelated note, why did the car-bomb-that's-actually-a-car-and-how-cool-is-that-we-should-totally-keep-saying-it-as-often-as-possible have US Government plates on it?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 29, 2013

• Locked thread