Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
David Icke's lizardmen reclaim the Earth in 2017, and all the rich people have been warming the planet up for them to make it a more ideal habitat in exchange for being allowed to live and not be denied air conditioning in their zoo habitats. Everyone else is to report to their designated 'mincery' to become hatchling chow.

Oh yeah, and some writings by Nostradamus or a da Vinci analog foretold how to stop this from happening and there'll be a sublime globe-trotting artifact and document-collecting adventure where Liz finds out she's a half-lizard hybrid with a twin sister, which will explain why she and her acting seems so cold-blooded. :rimshot:

Pretty sure it's not the JFK dossier, since all they'd need to do is pressure a President to extend the seal-until date. And seeing how inept everyone but Evil Alan Alda was, I'm guessing the gubbermint in this show's universe just goes around licking the remaining lead paint off the walls of federal buildings until they're told to do something by whatever shadowy cabal is running the world that week/month.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't they put Hawkeye in that box because it is shielded from radio waves?

Yet EOD dude was talking to them on a radio?
loving show.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just got caught up. Holy crap. We sure are racking up a body count this season.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Manofmanusernames posted:

So...I'm I the only one who's been enjoying this show unironically from the beginning? I don't really understand all the hate this show is getting on SA.

I mean I'm not going to tell you it's genius or anything or even that good. I know it's really stupid but that's why I like it. The plot lines can get so pulpy and insane most of the time it's great! The Villains are so over the top that they probably be more at home fighting batman then on network TV.

Actually the more You think about the more you realize just how comicbook-y the whole thing is. That's the main reason I like it so much.

But yeah the writers should spend less time thinking of "mysteries" because they're not good at it. They should spend more time thinking of what ridiculous gimmick/superpower that next week's guest star will have.

Also more Pee Wee.

My problem is that the writers seem to take themselves too seriously. They think they are crafting a compelling story. No one cares about #lizziessecret, Tom wasn't/isn't some intriguing man of mystery that makes me want to buy a Ford Mustang, and everyone in the FBI task force is terrible except maybe for the nerd guy. Same problem for The Following.

If they just went the 24 route and embraced the wacky poo poo that works then it would be much better. As it stands now, any non-Spader enjoyment I get out of the show is accidental (Lizzie pulling over some random guy's car, telling the driver to follow an ambulance, and luckily said driver is apparently a stunt car driver who can keep up with a high speed chase)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I hope they go full on ALIAS and the fulcrum is some weird sphere of liquid that does mind control or something I forget and it made no sense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gough Suppressant posted:

I hope they go full on ALIAS and the fulcrum is some weird sphere of liquid that does mind control or something I forget and it made no sense.

Well, as I recall, ALIAS was more or less just a 'spy show' for two seasons before they started in with the ~Rimbaldi~ poo poo ad nauseam.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, as I recall, ALIAS was more or less just a 'spy show' for two seasons before they started in with the ~Rimbaldi~ poo poo ad nauseam.

Ron Rifkin was still totally boss though

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Apparently there is an episode after the Super Bowl.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I might stay up for it. Ron Perlman seems to be in it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I might stay up for it. Ron Perlman seems to be in it.

This episode is good so far. At the halfway point and am hoping Ron Perlman replaces Peter Stomare as the big bad.

I'm also enjoying the entire US goverment a.k.a. shadow cabal is super evil and Red may or may not been burned and is actually a good guy turned "evil" to fight them storyline. Is it subtext? I'm bad at this.

I may also be the only one who likes this show in TV IV.

Edit: Post is not edit. Sorry for the double post.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, *I'm* watching it, so that's gotta say something.

I don't think Perlman is anything other than the baddie-of-the-week, though.

EDIT: Oh god yes, Red walking down a hall blowing fools away with with The Brothers Bright's Blood on my Name playing in the background.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Grizz from 30 Rock was one of the dudes who got Shotgunned by Red. That was a blink and you miss it cameo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
After last season's revelation about "da gorl", Anyone else get the feeling that Liz isn't actually anyone important to Red, and that she just happens to conveniently fill a particular urban legend about Red that he needs filled while getting him access to the FBI?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

After last season's revelation about "da gorl", Anyone else get the feeling that Liz isn't actually anyone important to Red, and that she just happens to conveniently fill a particular urban legend about Red that he needs filled while getting him access to the FBI?

I had thought something similar before but that would rely on all of these people knowing Red's background so completely. I am wondering if she was a trophy that Jack won by taking out some big bad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I had thought something similar before but that would rely on all of these people knowing Red's background so completely. I am wondering if she was a trophy that Jack won by taking out some big bad.

Hence "urban legend". It could very well have been a story that Red perpetuated himself to bait people into trying to attack that weakness, to draw people away from his other, more vulnerable, more actual weaknesses.

Knowing what I know of Red, that sounds like something he'd do. Straight out of Sun Tzu, too. "A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective."

EDIT: Well, that commercial seems to blow my little theory out of the water.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 2, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Grizz from 30 Rock was one of the dudes who got Shotgunned by Red. That was a blink and you miss it cameo.

Yeah, I was half expecting the next guy to be dotcom

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
I love this show,I don't even care how dumb the story gets cause James Spader is awesome.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

crazy8 posted:

I love this show,I don't even care how dumb the story gets cause James Spader is awesome.

For me, the show has been relegated to the "I need some background noise so I'll put a Blacklist on" category, but I still enjoy it quite a bit for Spader. I've never seen one actor carry a show so much. Seriously, if you removed him, the show would be nearly unwatchable.

Now I feel the need to catch up just so I can see why Ron Perlman is showing up.

Sidenote - I love Peter Stormare as an actor, but he is criminally under-used.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

imo this is way too clever for the writers of this show to have ever thought of it

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Remember how a while ago, the idea of the US maintaining a site where they routinely brutally torture and execute people without due process would have been something the bad guys were doing in a conspiracy?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

imo this is way too clever for the writers of this show to have ever thought of it

Dunno. They've shown that Red can insinuate himself to anyone he desires with great ease, as demonstrated by his getting close to The Daughter of Berlin. For a hot moment, you all thought that really was his daughter, and not Liz.

This has made me re-evaluate if he is not using Liz in the same fashion.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Red going full shotgun and pistol in the last minutes were totally badass. I love Spader.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And I never would've thought him capable from his work in Boston Legal

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ahahahaha, "Blood on my Name" jumped to #1 in the "Singer-Songwriter" category on Amazon. (This is the song playing while Red goes Rambo near the end.)

I understand it may have already had some fame by being used previously in a True Blood promo, but this couldn't have hurt. Wish I could see the popularity graph for the song.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Red going full shotgun and pistol in the last minutes were totally badass. I love Spader.

"Imma be takin' that shotgun." :whatup:

*thoom*

I did kind of want Spader to fourth-wall the boiler room scene where the guy says it isn't gonna be him sticking behind to do the resets...

"Fine, Lizzy and I will stay. We're both wearing plot armor."

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
I too only watch this show as background noise. Can someone recap how Spader ended up in Hong Kong and how he got his B-team onto this hi security prison?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

It's going to be something ridiculous and nonsensical. Based on this episode, my prediction (pure speculation) is that Liz' DNA/fingerprint/whiny voice is the key to unlocking the Fulcrum, or something ludicrous like that.

tatopom posted:

I too only watch this show as background noise. Can someone recap how Spader ended up in Hong Kong and how he got his B-team onto this hi security prison?

Wasn't sure about the capture bit. I figured I'd missed or forgotten something about the first half of the season, but I think it was supposed to be vague. As for his little helpers, he said something along the lines of 'I know people in every prison'. Don't think their presence was planned in advance.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 3, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

richardfun posted:

It's going to be something ridiculous and nonsensical. Based on this episode, my prediction (pure speculation) is that Liz' DNA/fingerprint/whiny voice is the key to unlocking the Fulcrum, or something ludicrous like that.

She's probably the Rembaldi device

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

WhyteRyce posted:

gently caress you, now you made me remember how much better a show Alias was than this (even in the later seasons).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

WhyteRyce posted:

Please don't trigger me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

No no no no no...Romboldo this time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who even are the boring loving baddies now? That rich Jew guy who acts like a badass and doesn't believe red has the thing or whatever and the other people round the table who hired hell boy. loving hell. They're like a shadow government who own the cia and ...??

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Raymond 'Red' Reddington: [outside the White House with Elizabeth] People think it matters who occupies that house. It doesn't. Multinational corporations and criminals run the world.

I figure them for the topmost evil cadre trying to run the developed world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Who even are the boring loving baddies now? That rich Jew guy who acts like a badass and doesn't believe red has the thing or whatever and the other people round the table who hired hell boy. loving hell. They're like a shadow government who own the cia and ...??

David Strathairn is a very good actor, but even I'll admit his character's suffering because of the show's writing. Part of me thinks - and wants to believe - that Spader's little segues are completely ad-libbed, because the only other thing that makes sense is that there's a writer for those that works separate from everyone else.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Raymond 'Red' Reddington: [outside the White House with Elizabeth] People think it matters who occupies that house. It doesn't. Multinational corporations and criminals run the world.

I figure them for the topmost evil cadre trying to run the developed world.

I can't not read this in James Spader's voice. He's also half the reason I'm really excited for Ultron.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I can't not read this in James Spader's voice. He's also half the reason I'm really excited for Ultron.

Spader evidently did some motion capture for Ultron as well, so it'll not only have his voice, but his mannerisms.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Spader evidently did some motion capture for Ultron as well, so it'll not only have his voice, but his mannerisms.

I really hope there's a scene where Ultron picks up a fedora and puts it on during a dramatic speech.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

I really hope there's a scene where Ultron picks up a fedora and puts it on during a dramatic speech.

"This reminds me of the time when...oh right, I've only been *alive* for about a week. I'm going to have to accumulate a few humbling life experiences before I start that spiel."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bape Culture posted:

The Illuminati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, what was that secret device that she found in the bear? SD cards? I thought the fulcrum was from the 90s so unless its microfiche I don't know what else it could be.

DOOP posted:

The Illuminati

The Business Plot actually succeeded and the public was convinced that it was a failure.

• Locked thread