Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Speaking of DLC vehicles, is there anyway to get the supercars in singleplayer? I haven't touched the game in a while but updated it last night and they were nowhere to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crazysim posted:

I believe you misinterpreted that. RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) is Rockstar's own engine that debuted as that table tennis game. id's Rage game is using id Tech 5.
I thought I probably did. Still looks pretty though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

rally posted:

What's the problem with parking cars in your garage or walking into the garage and pulling up DLC super cars and poo poo?

I guess because they aren't permanent? All my characters have over 1.5 billion and there is no way to ever spend it in single player so who cares.
Convenience, which is the whole point. Yes I have 2.1 billion on everyone and I can't really use that money, no I don't really want to have to find/order, then upgrade a new Adder everytime I lost mine for whatever reason. Or having to deal with the lovely car spawning system to get one of the cars (back) which you can't just order/pull from a DLC menu in single player.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

rally posted:

What's the problem with parking cars in your garage or walking into the garage and pulling up DLC super cars and poo poo?

I guess because they aren't permanent? All my characters have over 1.5 billion and there is no way to ever spend it in single player so who cares.

For me at least it's more of a quality of life kind of thing. It's a video game. Personally, the biggest reason I've ever picked up a controller and turned on a Grand Theft Auto game in the first place as opposed to playing another game or doing anything else in general was because I just wanted to gently caress around driving fun cars and shooting cool guns in a really well made, open video game world. It would be a fun thing to be hanging out at my house and think "hey, I think I'll turn on GTA and drive a four wheeler around the Los Santos desert for a while, that would be cool" and then "hey, I think I'm going to get in a Lamborghini and see how long I can stay at top speed on the highway" or just whatever and then be able to do exactly that with none of the busy work because HEY in real life you have to go to the dealership to get these cars or steal them and in OUR super realistic game you do too. Look how realistic it is. Let's all marvel at how real this simulated world is while we stand around waiting for the RNG to deliver us a car we're actually interested in so we can maybe this time catch it and steal it so we can finally drive to where we actually want to go.

Besides, we already have the ability to instantly equip any one of the game's thirty or so guns while carrying around thousands upon thousands of rounds for each one. I just think it would be great if the same kind of instant access was available for the game's cars too.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 14, 2014

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think Saints Row just ruined all of us for open world car garages. You can't argue with being able to repair and recall any car that you've saved within a matter of seconds from your in game menu. Since GTA:SA it's always been the same in that you CAN pimp out your car, but why risk driving it around when you can steal an Infernus and get the job done just as fast without ruining your investment? I don't hate the way it's done in GTAV but would really love a SR-like delivery/repair system.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Or the ability to convert your coupe into a roadster. Or remove the spoiler. Or have access to every other little customization option that SR would give you but this game leaves to chance.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I think Saints Row just ruined all of us for open world car garages. You can't argue with being able to repair and recall any car that you've saved within a matter of seconds from your in game menu. Since GTA:SA it's always been the same in that you CAN pimp out your car, but why risk driving it around when you can steal an Infernus and get the job done just as fast without ruining your investment? I don't hate the way it's done in GTAV but would really love a SR-like delivery/repair system.
Online's way of handling your car collection is pretty close to Saints Row's, surely close enough that most people wouldn't mind the difference. But these are the guys who needed like half a year to get Online's quick access menu into single player...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

rally posted:

It's be nice to upgrade cars in single player over the course of the story. Like you could decide that franklin wants to use the free ruiner you get from the first street race, or he likes the bike that Beverly gives him.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I can't remember but can you repair cars you've saved in your garage in the normal game if they blow up/fall into a lake? If not then welp.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Pwnstar posted:

I can't remember but can you repair cars you've saved in your garage in the normal game if they blow up/fall into a lake? If not then welp.

No not unless they're specific vehicles like Michael's Tailgater/Issi/Sentinel or Franklin's Buffalo/Bagger or Trevor's Bodhi/Blazer.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 15, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Trevor has a second vehicle? What?

Also, I noticed something odd about the Altruists' sidequest. It takes four people before they turn on you, but not four events; if you take the drunk couple, you only need to go two more times. But they still just pay you $2,000 for the couple as if it were one person, so you lose out on an extra trip and two thousand, which is admittedly not a great loss. I'd never noticed before because I could never bring myself to hand over the couple to the Altruists until this game; they're just so lovably dumb, as opposed to some of the real bastards you can pick up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ATV thing is his other unique vehicle but he doesn't ever actually use the thing unless you spawn at his house.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Why can't I buy Jimmy a car? Or assign one to him? Where did that Premier go?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I hope they add mors mutual to the single player. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be in there, and it would at least add some permenance to cars that you garage.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is the "Everyone in this neighborhood drives the exact same car" an end-game "feature" or just something I didn't notice while playing through the game?

Edit: I also feel like the game read my mind recently because I've just been randomly driving around a bunch in the past weeks and I was thinking "gently caress none of that cool random stuff ever happens anymore" and then just in the past few days I've got a bunch of blue dot muggings around me and 3 pretty interesting police chases that didn't involve me.

The best was yesterday when I was riding around on the subway (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T loving CINEMATIC CAM IN THE CAB ANYMORE WHY THE gently caress WAS THIS REMOOOOOOVED?!??!?!) and when I got out I felt an explosion. Walk out the above ground and there's 3 cars being hosed down by the Fire Department, a police cruiser on it's roof and a helicopter going batty looking for one last bad guy or something.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rockstar posted:

We're glad to see so many of you are excited for the upcoming release of the new versions of GTAV and we look forward to sharing more details with you soon. We are also incredibly excited to be bringing GTAV to the PC, but the game requires a little more development time in order to ensure that it is as amazing and polished as possible. Please do stay tuned as we reveal new features and information about all the new versions in the weeks ahead.
"as polished as possible"

That's a good sign, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It worked well for the Dark Souls 2 port. :shrug:

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Just be happy they're doing the port in house.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Corzaa posted:

Why can't I buy Jimmy a car? Or assign one to him? Where did that Premier go?

I think you mean "Why can't I realize just how lovely my family is and murder them all and give into primal urges like Trevor does?" But then I realized Trevor was the only person genuinely concerned that Tracey was off making a trainwreck of herself on reality TV.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"as polished as possible"

That's a good sign, right?

Just as good as when they said the exact same thing about GTA:O at launch

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
And Rockstar has never been known for quality PC work. Everytime I want to install something just thinking about the extra effort and time it'll take to actually get running makes me cringe.

For some reason I could only launch San Andres from a different user account than the admin. Dont know anyone who DIDNT have problems with GTA4 initially. And recently I tried everyday for a week to get LA Noire launch without crashing at startup... read every thread I could find and went through almost every "fix" listed here... until I finally said gently caress it and substituted cracked EXEs in place of the STEAM ones.
Now it launches flawlessly. :negative:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GTA4 still has problems. My PC is pretty high end but I still get some stutters and lowish framerates. The game doesn't even really run properly if you have a video card with more that 2GB RAM too, you have to add a command line parameter. It also never had decent AA, it has to be hacked in. Also a bunch of other annoying problems. It's a bit of a mess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I played probably a couple hundred hours of San Andreas on PC and never had a single problem with it v:shobon:v

But yeah, GTAIV's PC port sucked. It actually still looks pretty gorgeous. I just played a little of it on PC a few months ago. So I can imagine it looking loving incredible years ago when it came out on PC, though I can't imagine it running very well back then. I have a pretty beefy system and it still didn't run like it should've for me a few months ago. And the whole GFWL system it used was a giant clusterfuck.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2014

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Max Payne 3's PC port was really good though and worked very well even on my lovely PC, so I'm hoping that Rockstar puts the same effort into GTA V as well. :pray:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Max Payne 3 is fine in terms of performance, but it is a horrible game and I wouldn't call it a good port considering how incredibly unreliable the multiplayer is and how R* was too loving lazy to set up cutscene transitions or even check to see when the game has finished loading during an FMV so they just disabled cutscene skipping. They eventually fixed the second one long after the game came out, but even the first one is inexcusable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wouldn't exactly call the console MP reliable, but I have a feeling you mean there were problems even worse than the jankiness there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Max Payne 3 was a hell of a fun shooter with what I considered to be an engaging enough story, although I know there's disagreement on that fact.

Unfortunately, that damned loading absolutely kills any replayability. They have a speedrun mode, but you have to watch every cutscene from beginning to end, every time. Want to replay a level to improve your time? You have to sit through the same opening cutscene. Again and again.

That first playthrough is great, and the gunplay is entertaining as hell, but gently caress, that loading just kills any desire to play through it ever again.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I can't stand playing GTA4 after all these years. The gunplay just seems terrible for the most part.

I would love a Max Payne3-like port quality, even for it's jankiness I still play a ton of the SP from time to time, and it works flawlessly 60fps @ 1200p. Too bad it doesn't work with nvidia surround @ 3840x1024

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lol polygon thinks it's gta 4 :jihad:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This one takes the cake:

quote:

I changed it to say a gta game, four of us looked at it and couldn’t agree on whether it was retail or a mod.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:laffo: It's literally just video clips of the online mode.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That ISIS video is hilarious

Can I say that I'm really nervous for the PC release of GTA V? I feel like we're gonna get shafted again :ohdear:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That ISIS video is hilarious

Can I say that I'm really nervous for the PC release of GTA V? I feel like we're gonna get shafted again :ohdear:
Rockstar made the video so they don't have to release it on PC and cut into their cashcard sales. :tinfoil:

Also lol, that just confirms that Ploygon doesn't even bother to play games anymore where apparently the Forbes article correctly identified the game.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

UnknownMercenary posted:

:laffo: It's literally just video clips of the online mode.

I really love the idea that there is a non-zero chance that we have trolled ISIS members during our many GTA:O hijinks.

I also love that they didn't try and seem like real soldiers by using a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield. It's just dudes running around on foot with AK's and sticky bombs acting like they're gonna take over the world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're telling me Polygon is made up of a bunch of incompetent chucklefucks who don't know anything about video games?! Woah! I never could have guessed!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Oh dear, someone revealed a bit more than they were supposed to. Confirmed first person view for cars and on foot.

Got pulled, but it is cached.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...Xbox-One-and-PC

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, it makes it easier to mod Rift support in it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those changes sound pretty good, I was expecting a port with better graphics but it sounds like they might actually be putting some effort into this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I hope they let you redo your appearance when you transfer.

• Locked thread