Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dewgy posted:

Pretty sure whoever made the comparison map is a moron. They're assuming the airports are identically sized in both, so that's the scale reference.

There's only one comparison that should be believed, and that's the one which compared map sizes based on the sizes of the characters. That made it look like the Los Santos metro area was a tad larger than all of GTA4, and it sure feels that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, I really don't get all the people acting blown away by this. (Not necessarily here but reviewers and people on gaming sites) Like it's the first time I can remember waterboarding someone in a game but still, while it's an ugly scene for sure it's not like you're carving a guy up like a turkey or some poo poo. :shrug:

If they ever make a GTA subforum like they did for Skyrim, they ought to make a thread just for torturechat. Seems like 10 posts a page are going back and forth between people who think R* went too far and people who think those people are wimps.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
So I found a spot to get a Buzzard without getting any wanted level. Unexpectedly, it's right over at NOOSE Headquarters, east of Los Santos. No assault necessary. As Trevor (wearing nothing but his briefs and boots after a transition), I drove calmly up to the gate, which the guards raised for me, then through the next gate, which did the same. After that there's fences which separate parts of the compound. Drive to the end of the lot and there's a fence which opens automatically and lets you around back to the loading dock. Back there's a ladder to the roof. On the roof there's a Buzzard. I stole it and flew off, and nobody cared at all. The key is to just play it cool, I'm sure if you crash the gates you'll get stars immediately.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Here's where the Buzzard I was talking about last page is located. You can steal the one of the roof here without getting a wanted level.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I've had people call the cops on Trevor simply because he's scary looking. A good sucker punch before they can pull out their phones does wonders for my discretion, though :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

stuart scott irl posted:

Goddamn, for that job where you smash and grab from the armored truck, they made such a big deal out of finding a getaway vehicle that I found a Hummer and added some armor and engine upgrades, and it turns out you're well out of danger by the time you even use it to "getaway." Oh well.

I did the same thing. Pimped out a Cavalcade with performance upgrades, armor, and bulletproof tires. Didn't realize that you don't use the car to escape from jack poo poo unless the cops see you blow up the dump truck. I ended up losing that ride for good too because I warped away from Franklin while he was driving it :argh:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Hihohe posted:

I'm gonna roll around in a tricked out molestvan, knockin' off stores, stealin' scores, and pullin' off heists.

I want to steal one from the Lost and put a big airbrushed wolf howling at the moon on the sides.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Late-game heist spoilers: For the FIB HQ heist do you guys recommend the first option or the second?

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 25, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

cloudline posted:

See, this is a bad spoiler because I have no idea what heist you're referring to, and now I know the location of the heist which spoils a lot.

Except that I don't mention anything about what you're stealing or why? gently caress it, I'll edit the post. My question still stands though.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Pickled Kittens posted:

It doesn't matter what heist you're talking about, the answer is whatever you want. The rewards are close to identical for both options for every heist; any difference in profits are because of how well (or lovely) you play and what crew you hire.

I know, I'm only wondering which of the two are more fun and interesting.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I had a great escape earlier. I decided to go steal a fire truck right out from the driveway of the firehouse near Grove St. Of course, the cops immediately began to respond, but right down the street is a parking garage. I went in, went down a level, and waited off to one side of the ramp. After a minute a police cruiser stopped at the driveway, and then turned in. Realizing he'd see me if I stayed around, or tried to go up the ramp, I instead drove straight ahead and then slowly made a lap around the ramp, breaking line of sight with the cop. Went back up the ramp, leaving him behind, drove out the structure right behind another unit, and my wanted level dropped a few seconds later. Drove unfettered all the way back to my garage, flashing my lights and sirens, and giving out free car washes to any convertible I saw :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, gently caress the Ruiner. It handles like poo poo. I fully modded that thing and took it out in a race and I lost like 3 times in a row because I kept spinning out over stupid mistakes that any other car could recover from like a champ <:mad:>

The best way to win races, with any car that's fast enough, is to just pop Franklin's ability for a moment before you spin out. It will straighten you right out. You can even speed up your mid-air adjustments, in case you're about to roll over or land on a car. You're basically guaranteed to never lose control if you're driving as Franklin and have some of that special ability left.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

GreatGreen posted:

A great way to bypass a lot of the game's tedium is to use taxis almost every time you have the opportunity. Only steal a car and drive someplace yourself if you want a change of pace. You won't burn out nearly as fast that way.

I find the driving is half the fun. I take a lot of pride in being able to traverse the map as quickly as I can without denting up my ride. I only take taxis if I'm low on real-life time, or if a car ride would be particularly tedious at that time.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

lady blue shanghai posted:

But there's only room to come at them from the side :confused:

Any other angle and I'm blocked by the steel building supports or whatever. Thanks though, I'll try that next time it pops up.

I did it on my first try. Just came at the pipes from a 45 degree angle off the front of the truck. Knocked the pipes over and the rolled clear of the driver's side door just in time.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

lady blue shanghai posted:

Good to hear, thanks. I have PTSD from San Andreas flight school.

Flight school is easy, the people who are having trouble with it must be wearing their shoes on their hands. I golded every event on the first try, except for three. The one where you have to land on a bridge (I landed correctly, but I didn't realize it was judged on distance from the marker so I only got Silver, took me about 10 tries to properly judge the distance), the second skydiving mission (overshot the moving truck on attempt 1, on attempt 2 I cut my chute and fell 20 feet onto the truck, but I lived so it counted for gold), and the final exam (I got lost on the final waypoint and missed gold by a few seconds, restarted the level and beat it easily).

Flying just takes a sensitive touch, especially in helicopters. The moment you start throwing around too much lateral pitch, you end up in trouble. Remember your shoulder buttons, yaw is better for turning at low speeds, use pitch for high speeds or else you'll just crab around. Be very light on the controls (especially pitch) when moving slowly. I can transition from full speed to a combat landing with no trouble at all now, or taxi in ground effect around the airfield. If you want to practice, just take the Buzzard from NOOSE HQ on the east coast, it's the most forgiving to fly and it also has guns and rockets for loving around.

For planes, they're easy enough to fly, but turbulence is a common complaint. There's no real easy way around it, but I feel as if flying higher reduces it. Don't try to fight it, just correct your path with small movements. In general, anticipate your flight path. Your control surfaces on anything bigger than the stunt plane, won't change your course very quickly. Flying low or through canyons is all about anticipation, this isn't quite Ace Combat. Flying with your gear down when you're going too fast also creates a lot of turbulence, so wait until you're going at a nice low speed before lowering those wheels and give yourself lots of room in case you can't put her down right away (except in flight school, that poo poo is timed and you won't gold unless you come in hot and late).

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 27, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Fooley posted:

I'm constantly amazed at the detail in this game. I just noticed weeds growing in cracks in the pavement, and that the Not Prius is dead silent until you start going fast. I have a question about a random event too. The one in the trailer park, where there's a shootout between cops and some criminals. The bad guys drop suitcases with like $5k each. Its basically either ignore it, or grab the money and run, right?.

You can either kill the criminals, which leaves the cops but gives you a wanted level if you take the cases, or you can kill the cops, in which case the criminals get away and leave a few grand behind for you, or you can just let it play out and kill whoever is left. If the hoods kill all the cops then you can just shoot them and take all the money without a wanted level.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Does the army jeep have any cool mods at LS customs? I want to make a cool offroad jeep but I don't know if that one is worth the hassle/ money, or if the regular ones have better cosmetic options.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The final street race is kinda bullshit. I keep losing because there are hills that you have to jump to keep pace but you can't see over them so I always jump into crossing traffic and die because I have to be on a motorcycle. And then I don't get to retry until the next night because if you get wasted you have to go to the hospital. ugh.

Could you try angling the camera differently or using a wider zoom? When I'm bombing up or down hills I tilt the camera up a bit so the car doesn't block my LOS. I'd imagine zooming your view all the way out would make it even better. If you still look like you're about to hit something then pop Franklin's ability and use the extra maneuvering and damage resistance.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

BobKnob posted:

I dominate normal tennis so badly that they may get one point every 2-3 games. I get dominated in hard so badly that I might get one point in an entire set.

I haven't aged against anyone else, bit Amanda is pretty tough. She's beatable, but it usually comes down to a tiebreaker for every game, at least for me. I hear she's the hardest and if so then everyone else probably feels like easy mode.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Eriic posted:

This is not true at all. You can literally follow behind a cop who is searching for you as long as you are not within their cone of vision. If you are hiding anywhere other than the area where cops last saw you they will most likely drive right past your hiding spot. They are intelligent but they are not psychic.

This mechanic is actually incredibly useful for that one mission where you steal back Solomon's film reel. You can follow the cop cars all the way around the whole chase sequence and as long as you don't pass any police cars, you won't get stars. I didn't manage to do this for the entire mission but I'd imagine it makes the ending a lot easier if you can stealth it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Knightmare posted:

Eh, the cops don't really care about you at any point in that mission.

I don't know about that. After I got spotted they were shooting at me the whole time and I had to shoot and chase my way out, too.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that stealing a food truck doesn't give you the option to do food truck missions.

I miss vigilante missions, too. What would have been funny is if you could have signed on to a GTA equivalent of Lyft and turned any car into your own taxi. Make money cruising around Los Santos in your modded sports sedan! Rob liquor stores while your fares wait patiently in the vehicle! Drop them off with cultists! Endless possibilities.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ughhhhhh, how do I beat the race against Mary Ann down the beach mission as Michael? I keep accidentally clicking the left stick and going into hide mode and losing the split second lead I have on her :negative:

Don't do that, I suppose. She's perfectly beatable unless you have lovely stamina. The first time I tried was really early in the game. Michael had crap for stamina and I ended up draining his health enough to make him faint about 8 feet from the finish line and lose by inches.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Question for you guys: (Franklin mission chain spoilers) If you don't do the first assassination mission, the one that gives you a new house in Vinewood Hills, then is the interaction between Franklin and Tanisha at the start of "Lamar Down" different? It wouldn't make much sense if she's complaining about how you forgot the hood of you were still crashing with your aunt. For that matter, is your conversation with Lamar on the way home changed?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Thanks guys. I did that mission as soon as it appeared so it never occurred to me that it was required.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I just had an idea for a little creative project we goons can do once online drops. Ever watched those Russian dash cam compilations on YouTube? I'm thinking we could have a guy recording first person footage on various vehicles while other people cause crashes or do other crazy poo poo. For added effect the editor could overlay some lovely techno tracks on random clips and play all the voice layers reversed and slowed down, so they sound vaguely eastern-European. I'm just thinking these compilations all make Russia seem just like an average day in a game of GTA, so why not have art imitate life?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I had the best bro hangout with Lamar and Franklin. First I picked him up on Frank's motorcycle, and Lamar was all like, "poo poo nigga, this you whip now? Sheeeit okay then." He hops on and we go down to LS Customs. Lamar and Franklin stay seated on the bike while I mod it up (which looked hilarious), then I head to the garage to get a proper ride. Pull out my blacked out Gallavanter Baller 2 and head towards the bar. On the way to the bar, I overshoot a street I meant to take, and decide to flip a u-turn. I'm being really careful because I don't want my ride banged up. Here's where it gets interesting.

I end up cutting off a lowrider and he rear-ends me, just a little love tap, no real damage to speak of since my car is up-armored. But it sets off a total poo poo storm of Ballas. Four Ballas in the lowrider, and about 20 more coming out of every alley and building in the vicinity. Shooting from every direction. I drive forward and spin sideways to use the car as cover, and get in an Epic shootout. Once all the Ballas are dead, Lamar and I hop back in the car and evade the cops. The whole time, Lamar is busting my balls about how Vinewood I've gotten. We hide in the streetcar tunnel, and Franklin is looking around frantically while Lamar sits stoically and calls me a mark for not trying to outrun the cops. Once the wanted level resets, we go to the strip club, get drunk and get titties, and then I take him home, but not before having to get in another police chase because someone saw me driving drunk.

Just another day in the hood. Man this game is awesome.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Doctor Butts posted:

I have whatever the default aiming option is and its pretty jarring in that for most of the game, the assisted aiming is there. For other portions of the game, it is not.

I have a problem with the reticules, too. The dot is a great pin point thing but its so drat hard to see. Whenever I'm stuck in a point where the autoaim is off, it becomes impossible to target, so I have to turn on the 'complex' reticule. The complex one sucks for the auto aim stuff because its hard to tell the 'center' of the aimpoint.

I miss the gta4 reticule. It was nice that it had health and armor readouts, and was big enough to see against the background. I know people complained about it obscuring enemies but I loved it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

dvorak posted:

I'm of the mind that the rampages are all in his head. It makes more sense to me, since no cops ever show up and he loses the weapon after.

The problem is that if you die, you go to the hospital. I actually managed to get killed during the final rampage because a hipster crashed into me with a Faggio, causing me to get stuck under it while a girl in wayfarers blew me away with a sawed-off shotgun. How embarrassing!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, just hit A to restart the rampage

Maybe it was because I had done the Rampage once before? I could have hit the wrong button. Who knows.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Sykic posted:

I have a soft spot for Astons :shobon:

That's clearly a Maserati, you buffoon.

edit:
:laugh:
VVVVV

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 1, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Do the car races disappear after you've completed the main story? I can't find any and I know I didn't do them all. This sucks :(

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Are you playing as Franklin and is it night?

I am Franklin, and it's the middle of the day. I finally decided to get around to doing them, spent a crapload of money turning this Coquette into a total beast, and then when I exited LS Customs, I couldn't find any active races except for the jetski ones.

edit: oh, are you saying it has to be dark outside? Guess I'll take a nap and find out.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I downloaded the patch, started the game up, and tried to switch to online by moving the character wheel down to the bottom spot. Now the screen's just been black for a few minutes. Is it doing this to anyone else?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

seregrail7 posted:

Yeah you're better off trying to connect from the pause menu in my experience. I got on until the first mission then was kicked because their servers are hosed.

Thanks. That did the trick. The could servers are down so I'm just going to muck about later. Thanks!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope Rockstar expands the options for photo taking in the future. Especially with online going live I'd love to have some sort of "war photographer" mode where you can be something like a spectator in matches but still take photos.

I was hoping that the reward for (Franklin sidequest spoilers)beating up Beverly at the end of his mission chain would be that I could take that sweet camera and use it for pictures.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Had an interesting glitch today in Online. I went to a deathmatch and it was taking forever to start, so I quit. It took me back to the vacant lot the mission originated in, and it moved my car across the street. I got in, drove a ways down the street, and switched back to Story mode. Switched back to Online a few minutes later, and it transitioned to my character driving my car around town. I assumed control, and noticed the personal car tracker icon was active on the minimap, even though I was driving my car. I drove over to the location marked on the map, which happened to be the location that I originally got in my car before the switch. I got out of the car I was driving, but it wouldn't let me back in (I have personal car entry set to "only me" and it told me this car was not authorized for me to drive). Then I went over to where the clone car was parked and it allowed me to get in.

I bet that if you could replicate this bug, you could use it to quickly sell cars at LS Customs.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Man I just got hosed out of a few grand by Simeon's stupid tutorial mission. You said any upgrades would be free this one time, why did my crappy stage 1 engine mod just wipe out a big chunk of my bank :arch:. It didn't even do anything noticeable!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

RatHat posted:

What's the quickest/easiest way to raise Driving skill in singleplayer? Stunt jumps?

And what about Strength for Franklin since he can't play Tennis?

Sounds like the best way to level up strength is beating up cows, since you don't gain a wanted level and they are non-aggressive and full of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Just started on the letter scraps with the aid of the Social Club map. Really like how it lets you experience more little things, while snooping around the docks for instance you can hear quite a mix of machines and loading vehicles beeping around. A little peeved that you still seemingly need a helicopter for some of them though!

One of those is at the top of a very, very tall crane by the under-construction skyscraper downtown. I didn't have a helicopter so I spent what felt like 20 minutes climbing ladders. Seems like a perfect place to insert the Snake Eater theme.

• Locked thread