Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Jesus Christ. Something Awful dot com: The internet makes you wimpy.

Are you really surprised? People SA made fun of have their own safespace threads here now. It sucks that the GBS has infected even the Games forum and poo poo but what can you do? Apart from avoid using certain trigger words that seem to bring down the wrath and the tears.

Maybe we could make a seperate thread akin to the spoiler / misogyny (I bet that was a riot) thread for people to bitch about torture scenes in their modern murder and organized crime simulator. That way we won't have the back and forth 'That's too hosed up for me, I am a literal torture survivor! This is sick, Rockstar! Muh internet PTSD!' to 'You guys are being lame, it's a game, grow up, etc.' every couple pages. Or put a spoilered thing in the OP?

Tokubetsu posted:

Just booted up the game to find that all of my lovely truck mods for Trevor are gone but at least the truck's still there right? ='( =)

That's lovely, I've never had that happen to me. I'd be pretty pissed off because I spent quite a bit of money making Franklin's Buffalo into a modded up, turbo'd beast that leaves the other street racers in the dust every time.

Hopefully the first patch will fix all the car issues, they seem to have dropped the ball on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Vincent posted:

I was gonna ask here how do I capture the runaways for that woman in the dessert, but of course I forgot that this game has a taser. I'm gonna try that out now. (And in case anyone need help with the locations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RoDMKDokY)

Has anyone just dotted them all on the ingame map in an image or anything yet? That'd be preferable to the video, for me at least.

Junkenstein posted:

Microtransactions detailed

Properties cost a lot less in online; mods cost more; can't plow loads of real -life cash into the game and buy yourself high powered stuff without levelling up first.

I don't think I'll be paying any real-life money for GTA money, I've never done microtransaction stuff for videogames. Even if it means taking longer and having to save up for poo poo that other people already have, I'll just earn the cash in game.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Did someone mention after selling Debonair stock (After the corresponding Lester mission) you should wait a few days and repeat it with Redwood for even more money?

EDIT:
My bad, it's in the FAQ post, which is pretty inclusive.

If anyone compiles the bounty locations onto a map or anything it should go there. Although with the IGN map I think I'll maybe be able to work out the pictures you get for it. I'm not sure.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 25, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Google Butt posted:

I was going to hold out for the PC version, but everyone's saying we're most likely 6 months out from that. I'm trying to decide if it's worth dusting off my xbox solely for this game as it'll cost me a total of $95 to get this up and running on my monitor (got rid of my tv since I've last used my xbox).

I know this game is good, but is it $95 good?

Can you not grab a little data transfer switch where you plug the xbox display stuff into it and your PC monitor into it?

My Xbox comes through my PC display and uses my stereo for audio, I just flick a little switch to swap from PC to xbox display.

Someone else could probably explain it better than me.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

My Franklin wears the exact same jacket.

Also that was a sweet grind.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

thehustler posted:

Two things I've noticed from tonight's session:

1) Stunt jumps are much harder to land than in other GTAs

2) Knife flights can gently caress off and die. I'm never going to get 8 of them. Ever.

Goodbye 100% :(

Yeah I've failed a lot of stunt jumps that I thought had landed / would've passed in other GTAs.

Where are the knife flights anyway? Flying under bridges is pretty self explanatory but I still don't know what specific places to knife flight.

Ideally I would've 100%'d it before GTA Online, but I'm still not done with the story so I don't see that happening.

EDIT: Thanks dude. vv

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Cute as heck posted:

Anyone else feel like the music is kinda weak in this game?
Man I wish the PS3 had the Xbox's custom music functionality :(

I did for a while, although a lot of the stations have kinda grown on me. (Barrelling over the desert on a dirtbike listening to AMOEBAAAAAAAA is good times). I still think Radio Los Santos sucks though.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Final Heist: I went with the armoured truck hijack and found it a little underwhelming, walk in, drive out, do a street light minigame, a little shootout and a boring driving section, over. Was the other option more fun?

Ending: Did anyone go with anything BUT Option C? Kind of a no brainer.

Also post-game Trevor Strangers & Freaks: Does anything actually happen with Trevor's mum except him curling into a ball on the floor crying when he brings the truck back and she isn't there? Those two scenes with her were uh, something. After the game auto-swapped to Franklin wearing a suit and complimenting a random chick, I swapped back and he was crying into his meth pipe about it.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 30, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
If you think it's bad now, the next few hours are probably gonna be worse as millions of schoolkids and college students get home.

After that, work gets out.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Been in for a little while, quite fun. Although the post first drugs reclamation devolved into an immediate shootout, I didn't start it, but I was the sole survivor and cash collector.

Gerald's Last Team Standing must have bugged though, it started, we jogged forward and then it ended and we were arbitrarily declared the winners. Got JP for it but it kinda sucks, wanted to play it. Now it's going onto the next job?

Fun so far, a little janky, but that's to be expected. Good luck to all wanting in.

Edit: Totally different guy hosting this time, I dunno if it was from the same pool of people or what. Maybe if the host craps out someone's randomly declared the winner or the person with the most points wins?

Double Edit: job immediately ended twice in a row. guess I'll rob some stores.

There's auto aim? I use freeaim in SP and I checked to see if I could change it in case other people were all using auto. The option was locked out.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

I had that happen as well. I wonder if that's supposed to happen or if it's just because the system was sort of glitchy when I tried it.

Yeah it's happening with all jobs now no matter what type. Ah well.

Obsurveyor posted:

The aiming is the same as Assisted Aim in single player. Not the crazy snap halfway across the screen Traditional GTA but if you're halfway competent you can easily headshot people by aiming and pulling down and firing.

Are you sure? In the shootout I did I had no lock on at all. Maybe I was just too excited / not paying attention. It'd be pretty stupid of rockstar to have player aiming default to whatever they had picked for singleplayer and be unchangeable once they're in-game.

Haha, the only way people have to show their displeasure at the jobs instantly ending is hitting 'Dislike', I don't know what that effects, maybe the change to be matched up against each other?

I can't be too bummed that jobs aren't working when a lot of people haven't gotten online yet.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hah, poo poo, had to go back to singleplayer because my character bugged out and couldn't move, it updated my online character again as I was playing, and he has gone down two ranks and devolved considerably, having 0 skill in driving, flying, strength or lung capacity.

Roshambo posted:

Has anyone managed to get in that wasn't on right when the servers opened?

Yup, got in for a bit not so long ago.

Edit: Went back online, my character's portrait was my guy before I quit. Got back on, totally different guy with 0 in driving, flying, strength and lung capacity. Hoo boy. It's replaced the character I made as well. No harm restarting I guess.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 1, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
This time it just hung launching the race and I had to dashboard out.

gently caress it, I'll try it again tomorrow, I'm not creating a fourth character and sitting through the cutscene again to have my character replaced or have to remake it or whatnot again.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Pleads posted:

This thread is great. Two weeks of "goddamn GTA:Online is going to be hammered for the first few days" and we still get endless posts about the online being inaccessible or janky when connected.

Just great :allears:

Did you expect anything less?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Dr.Oblivious posted:

So if I choose free-aim in single-player and the other players choose aim-assist? They get auto-aim and I only get free aim for multiplayer? That's loving retarded. :cripes:

I hope this isn't the case, I mentioned it earlier. Surely Rockstar couldn't be that stupid? We'll probably have to wait for confirmation by the looks of things.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Kali11324 posted:

Yup, I can create the character and go through the opening cut scene without a problem. Then I get to screen where I am just standing in the parking lot and it says Launching Session.
I keep seeing other characters pop in and out but nothing for me.

Yup, I got in once earlier for a bit, that character didn't save and this is all I've had since.

Guess I'll just quit for today.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Feenix posted:

So I made it farther today on PS3.

Last night it would disconnect when the car pulled up. Today I'm standing with like 5 people in front of an
Invisible car waiting for Launching Session.

It's been about 5 min. Does waiting this out net me some success?

From what I've heard, no. You're in limbo, or the 'parking lot of lost souls' as one goon put it.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hah, oh wow. I can't change characters in singleplayer now. The little 'Loading online character stats' thing is there permanently and I'm stuck on Franklin.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is there a dinghy spawn by the Alamo Sea? I wanna go diving for the Meriweather plane but I don't want to buy a cargobob, find a sub, then drop that sub in the Alamo.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Yeah except the free aim in 4, 5 and RDR has been totally fine. Are there a bunch of PC master race people in here that just bought a console for this game or something?

Yeah, I mean it's not ideal, a mouse would obviously be easier, but I don't see the huge problem people have with aiming using the joysticks.

Just up the sensitivity and practise for a bit, getting headshots is a lot more satisfying when you don't have to lock on and tilt the stick slightly everytime.

I've fallen through the floor of the Carpark of Lost Souls twice now. Tumbling through the void as Baker Street plays.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I literally had this post typed up but then didn't post it and posted something else instead. Regardless of how you feel about controller aiming (I'm not denying that some players have incredible controller aim, I'm pretty good with it myself), it doesn't hold a candle to mouse aiming and it requires a lot more effort to get good at than mouse aiming, there would be huge skill discrepancies in the shooting mechanics if Free Aim was forced for Online which would make the actually-important mechanics like stealing vehicles, causing mayhem, and running from the cops less fun.

Wait, shooting isn't an important aspect of Grand Theft Auto? Don't you think it may be involved under the Cause Mayhem one?

Online games have skill discrepancies. I thought when you were playing against other people, that was part of the whole thing.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Yeah I mean shooting is a part of the game, but it's not the focus of the game. This is a game about grand theft auto, crime, clashing with the police, purchasing property, stacking cash and trying to make a name for yourself. Gun battles are only a small part of that.
Skill discrepancies are cool, but when a skill that is a relatively minor part of the game dictates literally everything about multiplayer, the game isn't cool anymore. There are still plenty of skill discrepancies to be found that give the more skilled player an advantage without making the game less fun for the unskilled player.

How exactly do you clash with the police without shooting? Considering how much time in game is spent shooting, and how many missions have you shooting people, I wouldn't call it a small part of the game. Are you genuinely putting 'Purchasing property' ahead of 'Shooting people' in order of importance?

Apart from Driving and Skill At X Minigame, what are the skill discrepancies that are gonna give more skilled people the advantage against other players apart from shooting?

VarXX posted:

I don't see why auto aim is a big deal when everyone in the match has access to it.

Apparently choosing free aim in singleplayer will mean you're using it in multiplayer and the option is greyed out, a few other people have mentioned this being the case.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 3, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Kizurue posted:

Please tell me the cloud issues make it so you can't switch between Michael, Trevor, and Franklin offline and that my game isn't screwed up.

Kill the character or reload a save game, that should fix it for you.

Gonna try the delete patch and make a new character approach, it probably won't work. I almost hope it doesn't because it's 5am and I should probably go to sleep soon.

EDIT: Nope, although I did get an invitation to spectate on a job a player was doing. The lucky fellow.

Ah well, maybe tomorrow. Although one of my favourite Soulwax songs is on so I'll chill a bit before dashboarding out.

Lotish posted:

Tried the "delete title update and cache" approach and I'm getting the same results as ever, unfortunately.

Weirdly, every time I log in, even though I can't play, my Cash keeps going up.

Haha, mine too.

I almost want to try that DMZ thing, but then why would I need to for this when I've never needed to for any xbox live game before? I'm not that tech savvy, so if it's an obvious solution, my bad.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 3, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
At least there are more and more goons seeming to get in and play rather than just the very few at the beginning. Reading the comments on the support article and trending community questions is pretty funny though. Quite a lot of literal "gently caress you cockstar i'm selling this game!" and such.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I should probably grab a mic for whenever online is actually working and poo poo. I have my audio output coming from my stereo, and I plug headphones into that already. Will I be able to play other player voices through the headphones as well as in-game sound and just wrap the headset around my neck to talk into the mic or something?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Execu-speak posted:

Omg I love the ragdoll button, I spent a good 10 minutes human cannon balling Michael into a car.

If you jump and ragdoll onto people sitting on a bench, sometimes this will inexplicably kill them. The more you know! :science:

blue squares posted:

How do I get scuba gear and the sub post game? Can I scuba/sub in the Alamo sea?

I think you can either cargobob one into the alamo sea or drive it up the rivers on the lower left part of the map, I think? Someone said that last night when I asked. Although apparently it's not worth it because all that's down there is Some armour and weapons

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Also the sub from the Merryweather superweapon heist early in the game will be sitting next to Trevor's hangar. Once you buy a cargobob you can pick that up and bring it to the Alamo sea.

The sub from the sonar dock cannot travel up either river to the alamo sea, however you can get the scuba gear from inside it then board any other boat/waverunner and drive that up the southern river (just south of Fort Zancudo) to go scuba diving there. As long as you don't touch dry land you'll keep the scuba gear on.

How do you actually pick stuff up in the cargobob? It doesn't seem to have a winch or anything. I want to take my tank to grove street and explode some ballas.

EDIT: Thanks dude.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 4, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually if you check lifeinvader after you complete a rampage there will be posts about some dude shooting invisible people.

See that's weird because with the Barry S&Fs Michael killing all the aliens ends in him just talking to the guy afterwards, but Trevor's clowns leave people corpses lying around after the hallucination is over. so I'd have thought the rampages were real. Guess not!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
What ever comes of that anyway? I went and got the dilaudid truck immediately and when I came back She was gone and Trevor cried his eyes out. Is that it?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm replaying it properly for the first time since about release, grabbed the Beach Bum pack and the Business pack or whatever it is. I've forgotten how polished and detailed it all was. I just spent half an hour as Franklin sat next to his aunt watching Howitzer and smoking medical weed.

I was wondering though, since weed is a bit different in some ways for everyone, does anyone get those audio distorty, echoey effects? I've never experienced them smoking weed, I just wondered if anyone had or if it was just added flavour, so to speak.

I really like the new heavy pistol they added, and the little stubgun too, I had a quick try of them on my old save, but only those two pistols, nothing else or any new clothes. Gonna check those out on this new game.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In the weed sub-missions, it has no effect on Franklin, but makes Trevor and Michael hallucinate (though the implication is that it's not normal weed anyway).

I like that those missions are so good that they're still being spoilered :v:

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 4, 2014

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Some of the situations Trevor wakes up in makes missions even more hilarious with him. I was chasing a dog at one point and he's sprinting across streets shouting "What's with you people? It's just a man chasing a dog!" All while in his underwear, skin layered in pretty much every tat in the game.

Just did Trevor's Barry mission. Still in briefs.

"WHAT IF THIS NEVER WEARS OFF?!" and "IT'S THE ONE THAT TIPPED ME OVER THE EDGE!" are things that resonate alarmingly with me, but "YOU THINK I'VE NEVER KILLED A CLOWN BEFORE?" and "YOU THINK YOU'RE SO FUNNY, DON'T YOU?!" had me laughing the most.

Then on my way to get some clothes I get a random event and it's the drunk guy who needs a lift. Hoo. Boy.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 13, 2014

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

titties posted:

Just like pretty much any other online game GTAO isn't a lot of fun by yourself, play with goons. The Goon Crews thread is this way, the most active crews right now are Mountain Crew and Weazel Action News. Mountain Crew is mostly focused on attacking everyone in free-roam and griefing, While Weazel is mostly about that too except we also make up news stories for the Weazel tumblr.

E: If you feel that killing pubbies and never doing anything else is more for CoD than your crime sandbox MMO, you can hang with me. I like doing all the crap that everyone ignores like running missions, parachute jumps, sailing boats, or whatever. If you're on PSN, add mr_dread and let me know who you are. My list is full, and I'm not going to delete someone to make room for you if I don't know who you are.

If that crew / people like you are on 360 I might actually play the online :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
If you're not having fun shooting your way out of Grove street and getting away from the cops as Trevor and Franklin with Lamar along I just don't know what to even tell you.

Not to sound harsh, it's just even jet ski'ing away from the cops firing rounds is fun as hell. I feel like that mission is almost pure GTA. You've got a bit of everything almost. There are far better examples later on, of course.

I'm doing my second proper playthrough and the second time round it's really struck me just how detailed everything is, I've found so much I never found before and all my characters have nearly max stats and I'm not even halfway through the story, just from exploring. (Except breath control, gently caress that)

I found Jesse for the first time the other day, I just sat and smoked and chilled with him for about half an hour reality-time. :allears:

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 13, 2014

• Locked thread