Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just got hold of and stored my Getaway car for the 3rd Heist for the FIB. What did I manage to get hold of? Bugatti Veyron :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I find losing cops simplest by going the Solo route, i.e 'Fly Casual'. If you can get out of the immediate vicinity (to the point they're 'searching' rather than 'chasing') drop to the same speed as the local traffic, and just watch the map, turning off each time it spawns a cop car in front of you / behind you - It always does this at least 2-3 times.

In a relatively built up area, you can lose most chases in short order this way without having to travel too far out of the way, which can be vital for timers.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There's definitely an update required to enter GTAO.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ara posted:

Think for a second about how those would work in multi-player.
The same way bullet time manages to work just fine for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer?

Regardless, I don't think so. :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You only lose money if you're above a threshold, it was $5,000 I recall - anything you bank at an ATM can't be taken from you.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Key to making a non-methhead character is to get 7-8 hours sleep. You know, like in the real world.

On people crucifying R* over server loads - know what steps you can take to genuinely avoid the whole Internet DDOS'ing you at once with legitimate traffic? Here, I'll make a list.

1. gently caress all.
2. See 1.

It was always, always always, going to collapse Day 1, because its the only time your entire base of users will attempt to connect simultaneously. It's that, or have poo poo staggered releases where some regions end up with a huge advantage as a consequence, you just can't build an infrastructure that will normally take x% of users for the full 100% because it doesn't make business sense against 'weather the three day shitstorm, get on with your jobs'. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 1, 2013

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Obsurveyor posted:

Haha, they made it so you can't use guns in clothing stores on players but that didn't stop me from pistol whipping a fool to death.
You can shoot into a clothes store from outside anyway. :v:

Reive posted:

The online is so hosed it won't even load while playing solo, how does that even happen.
Because even solo, your Multiplayer experience needs to authenticate against a server*, and that server is currently being hit with the angry wrath of an avenging angel who only uses the Internet. That server predictably times out or fails to fully complete a transaction, your connection resets, and the whole thing either resets back to GTA, dies a miserable death or tries again, depending on exact variables.

The people in the beta universally found play experience fine, and none of the people leaking indicated any problems. This is a load issue primarily, nothing more sinister.

* - Where 'a server' is a big loving load balanced infrastructure, before someone spergs.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think the stolen car mechanic is to add attachment and permanence to 'your' car you tweak and garage up. You can recover the same car again & again through the Tracker/Loss Prevention you can buy at Los Santos Customs, so making a penalty to having a stolen car (Getting chased by the cops more, and for gently caress's sake it's 1 star chase, surely you WANT to get into chases in Grans Theft Auto?) creates a greater bonus and attachment to having your own pimped out ride.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

awesome-express posted:

That's not really an excuse for a company as big as Rockstar. Especially since you can dynamically scale and allocate servers within MINUTES in this day and age. It's just them trying to save a couple of hundred grand for the first couple of weeks. Makes sense from a business stand point if you only care about the bottom line. That's all there is to it.
If you think it's A. As simple as 'add more servers' and B. R* are naive enough to save a couple of hundred grand for the literal crown jewels of their IP to be trashed like this AND C. They're stupid enough to think that makes business sense, I don't think there's any way for a common ground to be reached on this.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sadly, now I'm home and trying to real thing, it seems I'm also getting that 'Launching Session' on the first race. It's mostly frustrating because to retry means relaunching the game, remaking the character and going through the intro, all of which is unskippable.

Incidentally: If anyone hasn't made a female character, do it. The intro with Lamar alone is worth it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As usual, I'll play on PC with a pad (I just find a pad plays better for open-world style games, especially for generally driving around or flying) and then basically be unable to play the MP, because snap-aiming with a Mouse is so obviously better and it's already a very low TTK on the console versions. This will be a disappointment to me, and worse, I know it's coming.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Songbearer posted:

It's a change that quietly snuck in recently and boy do I hate it. Games used to be around £30 here, but now major devs have realised they can get away with knocking it up to £40.

It's nothing that can't be avoided by being a smart shopper and finding vouchers and so on, but yeah it sucks.

Agreed, it's totally a 'Market can stand it' decision, and it infuriates me.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Songbearer posted:

This Rock Paper Shotgun article says it's out on the 18th :suicide:

It's worth noticing that most of the RPS writers are UK based. God I hope they don't do the "Game releases at the end of the week because retail" poo poo.

Game retailers in the UK just need to loving burn.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Honest Thief posted:

that sure is a RPS article, alright

Selectively taking obvious cariacatures seriously just so you can take offense is a loving disease in 2015.

E: For transparency, it's all the more annoying when the issues described are legitimate, but taking offense at an obviously exaggerated cariacature to 'expose' them is just loving stupid. It's like watching Dumb & Dumber, laughing, leaving the cinema then getting on your blog that complaining the plight of the intellectually challenged isn't being adequately represented.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

circ dick soleil posted:

You're taking poorly written clickbait too seriously.

I'm more annoyed it's on RPS - Either they've (temporarily or otherwise) had a moment of vanishing inside their own anuses, or they're actively courting clickbait. I actually pray it's the former, because I've come to expect better from there.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My GTAV Hype for PC is sadly being massively curbed by knowing that I'll find the game much more fun on controller, but then be unable to play Online because you'll just be picked off by M+KB at every opportunity.

That leaves the option of switching between the two control schemes for on-foot vs in vehicle, which is just a janky mess.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Quick trip report: My concern was well-founded; If you plan to play Online, learn to play M/KB, because trying to use my XB1 pad just gets you picked off by people with sniper rifles trivially.

(E: And then when you switch to the same schema yourself, you become a murder machine that drives like they're drunk.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Runs beautifully, really impressed with R* for this one.

Query: Mouse motion feels... odd. Like it's got acceleration on it, or it's slightly behind, X and Y axis don't move equivalent distances, or something. Is this something easily correctable? It's not unplayable, it just feels weird, and slightly nagging.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's tied to the fps, no known fix.

Hmm, I'm trying to run at 120Hz too, so I wondered if that could be it. Any in-game FPS counter options?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

simosimo posted:

I have orderd the 970 gtx so will see how the boost in frames will help. Gimmie a snappy mouse damnit :)

Sadly, I'm on an Asus 970GTX already, and I'm mentioning it too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Important question: How do I easily assemble a playlist that's basically The Mix from Saint's Row 3 and get it into GTAV?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, I found a set for SR3, now for SR2 (SR4 The Mix is just so weak by comparison :()

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I REGRET NOTHING. :v:

My GTAV User Music Folder posted:

A-ha - Take on Me.mp3
Aerosmith - I Don t Wanna Miss a Thing.mp3
Ball and Chain - Social Distortion.mp3
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth.mp3
Birds Fly (Whisper To A Scream) - The Icicle Works.mp3
Blackstreet - No Diggity ft. Dr. Dre, Queen Pen.mp3
Bomb The Bass - Megablast.mp3
Corona - Rhythm of the Night.mp3
Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain.mp3
De La Soul - Eye Know.mp3
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing.mp3
EMF - Unbelievable.mp3
Epic - Faith No More.mp3
Fantasy - Aldo Nova.mp3
Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way.mp3
Funky Cold Medina - Tone-Loc.mp3
Gary Numan - Cars.mp3
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City.mp3
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine.mp3
Haddaway - What Is Love.mp3
Holding out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler.mp3
It's My Life - Talk Talk.mp3
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone.mp3
Live Wire - M”tley Cre.mp3
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama.mp3
Machinehead - Bush.mp3
Men At Work - Down Under.mp3
My Adidas - Run DMC.mp3
Naughty By Nature - O.P.P..mp3
No Easy Way Out - Robert Tepper.mp3
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract.mp3
Pepper - Butthole Surfers.mp3
Phil Collins - Easy Lover.mp3
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust.mp3
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now.mp3
Redbone - Come And Get Your Love.mp3
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood.mp3
Return Of The Mack - Mark Morrison.mp3
Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song).mp3
Salt-N-Pepa - Push It.mp3
Shout At The Devil - M”tley Cre.mp3
Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me).mp3
Sir Mix-A-Lot-Jump On It.mp3
Skee-Lo - I Wish.mp3
Stan Bush - The Touch.mp3
Stand and Deliver - Adam Ant.mp3
Stevie Wonder Superstition.mp3
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World.mp3
Tears For Fears - Shout.mp3
Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam.mp3
The Bee Gees - Staying Alive (HQ).mp3
The Clash - Rock the Casbah.mp3
The Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight.mp3
What I Got - Sublime.mp3
You're The Best Around - Joe Esposito.mp3

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Xbone controllers currently don't work wirelessly on the PC. They use a proprietary wireless standard developed by MS, that differs from what the 360 used.

Which drives me bloody beserk, as there's absolutely no reason why it should be that way beyond protection of the (Probably already compromised anyway) protocol. It's all DX for the abstraction.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also they said sometime last month that a wireless Xbone controller adapter for PC is coming pretty soon so I doubt it'll be an issue that much longer.

The point is they're making a physical piece of kit for a software solution.

E: Worse, a physical piece of kit that third parties will then convert into the software solution it should have been in the first place in a matter of hours, invalidating the whole process apart from fleecing people who don't know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CJacobs posted:

It does suck that the wireless adapter doesn't just work for both platforms. But I don't think it's some kind of secretive conspiracy to keep people form using their Xbone controllers on PC, for the simple reason that if it did work on PC people would buy more of them and Microsoft likes money.

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

• Locked thread