Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Sondlar posted:

Yeah these characters look like absolute rear end. Who the gently caress thought this was passable in 2013? WHO?!

If you spend 30 minutes tooling around with it you can get some decent looking characters (as in: not crack addicts) if that's your thing. The main problem is your grandparents photos are so small.

You can see how the genetics system works but eventually once you've got an idea of how you want your person to look, it does kind of boil down to endlessly flicking between members of your ancestry and tweaking sliders. But still more 'fun' than pages of sliders in other games, probably.

Don't worry though, after that it throws you into an unskippable race with no menu and it's of course totally hammered.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Odette posted:

All of the characters that I've randomized look like loving crack addicts with unhealthy skin. This character creation thing is loving terrible.

Don't rely entirely on the random button. And go to the stats screen and adjust those things because they affect your appearance.

And don't worry because you're probably going to have to do it all again later/in a week when the servers cool off.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Shockeh posted:

you just can't build an infrastructure that will normally take x% of users for the full 100% because it doesn't make business sense against 'weather the three day shitstorm, get on with your jobs'. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

If you're swimming in the kind of Scrooge McDuck money pit they have at Rockstar Towers, you probably can afford to splurge out on some server architecture to handle launch-day load, even if after the first week they never use most of it again - or not until their next game.

I think it's just a case of 'there's no such thing as bad publicity.' The trouble is that it's too safe for publishers to view it as a business decision, because a week later everyone moves on and suffers a terrible amnesia about the whole thing.

For consumers it's an abusive cycle that I'd love someone to actually attempt to break out of. The only ones to do it so far are Valve, but their staggered queue sizes are a tenth of what Rockstar are probably suffering under.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 1, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

For the character creation, they seem to look at lot more attractive when they're rendered in-game.

Some people have cheesed it through past the opening race but I have no idea how they've managed it.

I think the safest thing to do if you've managed to get past character creation is not to bother reloading GTA online after you inevitably dashboard/reset. Maybe that way your character is ok.

edit: for everyone that saw the Online intro, did you also have huge pop-in issues that weren't a problem in normal GTA? Or has my DVD drive finally decided to die.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 1, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

It seems like the servers might be cooling off (on 360). Got past the tutorial in a few attempts.

If you get to Loading session... with the white loading symbol, just wait. You might get lucky. If not, you can dashboard/reset and retry again, after a few minutes.

If you get a message saying 'player is on a job, spectate?' say no. You'll just get stuck in the blurry screen.

edit: just to prove the character creator isn't complete rear end, cherokee type lady I made earlier. Of course I got shot taking this photo.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Every time I get run down it's some crackhead dude. I haven't seen any women. I fully intend to create a bloke later, but I spent the entirety of GTAIV as the japanese girl in a pink bike helmet, so it's tradition...

edit: the pink bike helmet is unlockable at level 50 or something :shobon:

When you get the tutorial mission to steal your first personal car, is it rigged so that every single car on the road is only one of three or four types? Did anyone steal anything nice? All I'm seeing is Jeeps and Sabres.

I want a Lotus/Voltic or a GT40/Bullet :|

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Finally found some ped driving a Pfister in multiplayer, but of course 'it's tracked'. So the steal a car mission is somewhat rigged to give everyone 1/3 cars based on the limited pool of what is driving around. You can have a Sabre or a Jeep or a random coupe.

edit: okay, you can use a Sanchez, if you can find one out in Sandy Shores (and if you feel like getting shot a lot).

Ah! You can also take a BF Injection from Sandy Shores (you can find one on that uphill offroad loop south of the Grand Sonora airport strip). Much better.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Hopefully it requires a majority of the server to vote and doesn't count friends votes twice. Because otherwise that's a bit cheap.

I get that there are some griefing prevention things, but when you have an option to enable pacifist mode in the quick menu, and you can lock others from even accessing your car, kicking people from a public lobby they might have arbitrarily joined is a bit harsh.

Even if people want to grief kick others and ruin their rep, your rep's not going to stop you doing anything you want to, right?

I'm really happy Rockstar borrowed some of the trivial things like drinking/smoking and emoting from Saints Row. Yes you can sit on the beach knocking back cold ones.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

1) Enter "server" hosted by somebody
2) Activate kick on $player
3) Wait around a minute, ignore offer to un-kick
4) $player gets kicked

Oh, well that is a thing. Maybe it works differently if there are more players? Maybe it does require others to vote? It has to.. Where did this information about player rep come from? I've only seen the popups for good behaviour being 'rewarded occasionally'.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

It's not all peaches and cream in Xbox land, I assure you. It was mostly entirely broken yesterday with very few people managing to get into the tutorial (let alone past it into Free Roam). It only finally seems to have calmed down a bit in the past few hours, but mostly a lot of things are still not working properly and are extremely janky.

IF you manage to get past the tutorials, which requires a lot of luck, then attempting any kind of lobby mode - ie anything other than free roaming - will just see you stuck in some endless menu loop and forced to restart.

Don't attempt to play lobby modes right now.

Free roam seems to be fine except limited by what you can actually do right now.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Yeah, making sure your ports are forwarded/you're using UPnP on your router is really important. Though obviously Rockstar are having huge issues, it probably wouldn't help to have NAT issues on top of it.

If you manage to get past the creation and past the intro, into the first tutorial race, let it sit and wait when it says 'Loading session...' That seems to take some time to get going (it took about five minutes for me when it finally worked).

The potential for griefing in Free Roam is still alive and well. Not only can people now camp others' vehicles waiting for them to return (brings back memories of WoW), but really any time you're inside a store that's a death trap waiting to happen.

Not to mention you could simply back up your personal vehicle to the store entrance and lock the doors. But that would be mean :)

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

MZ posted:

Not sure if this got caught in the 1200 posts, but apparently the title update also fixes the garage car saving problems, can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, seems like it is. I had one of my previously saved (and vanished) souped-up cars magically reappear after a mission earlier today.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I want to know how those Pisswasser stocks are doing!

Piss is on the up, but the future is all Whiz. Get in on the ground floor.

Speaking of BAWSAQ, did anyone actually buy shares in Tinkle early enough to make a profit? It's mentioned in game by a random character as a tip-off, so I am sure a lot of people bought into it, which is of course what they intended, because the price then shot up. It's now really expensive and doesn't look like investing in, but I'd love to have bought some of it a few weeks ago.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

The problem isn't that its blocked, its just that the larger map that shows up replaced the smaller minimap that has health bars attached to it.

There's an option to change your minimap permanently to the larger map (it's pretty useful for keeping an eye on where people are) - are you sure you didn't select that?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Happy for you PS3 goons :dance:

The Merry Marauder posted:

For those who haven't experienced it yet, you get texts with missions from NPCs. Accept one. Invite friends, or don't, but do the mission.

When it completes, it doesn't kick you (and your party) back to free roam, and you can together choose from six other missions, replaying the last mission, or refreshing the selection of six. It appears to be a very stable method of trying game modes. (All fighter deathmatch is pretty drat fun, I can tell you.)

I just tried this and you're right, it does seem (a little?) more stable.

I didn't have any invites so I went into the start menu and found the Rockstar playlists and fired up one of them. Eventually we got a game going. The system is actually very slick, better than Red Dead even, you can tell it will nice to use once the servers aren't on the wonk and the playlist/content creation stuff is added.

Unfortunately after playing two rounds (one of which voted for), we got stuck on one of those blurry sky-cam shots. But oh well!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

The missions, once you get a lobby full of people going, are a blast. Really well made and chaotic as hell, just like RDR but much more dynamic. Just did some ridiculous drug-ambush-shootout on the side of a mountain with bikes and cars all over the place, ending in a mad pursuit through a river after everyone had totaled their rides. Guy with the suitcase was just able to make it to the other side and had the team flag down a passer-by for a neat victory ride. Brilliant.

Then a race along Route 68 in sports cars in the pissing rain with trucks heading the over way. Messy.

MrLonghair posted:

If somebody scores something better than a Bravado Gauntlet for a first (free insured etc) car, let me know where you found it. Curious to see how one could optimize secondary etc characters.

A lot of the spawn ins are the same as single player, I think it just forces your hand with what you see driving around. So like I posted earlier, if it's your kind of thing, there's a Sanchez or BF Injection off-roader in Sandy Shores.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Hamburlgar posted:

Well, dont do what i just did and waste 10 mins getting on top of Mt Chiliad. There are no Sanchez' up there. I threw myself off the cliff in anger.

If you looking for one for your vehicle, the rest stop near the airport in Sandy Shores. There's usually some parked around there.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Shoehead posted:

poo poo yeah. I'm going to head over to the clothes shop and try to get on the roof with a gun.

Even more elaboration: get a van, park it out front. Get on the roof of the store and wait until they go in. Now move the van into position in front of the door. Shoot up the van when they try to come out.

Bonus points: put a sticky bomb on the car.

There are so many ideas for stunts you can pull now. I would love to see someone using an ATM. Baseball bat to the kneecaps!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Oh god I just got into a duel with some guy, while he was dead I drove off in his car and got it stuck down in the subway. If there are trains in multiplayer this just gave me a nice idea.

lady blue shanghai posted:

I'm assuming she has pants. Where did you buy them? I can't find pants anywhere

They're on one of the racks near the entrance to the store.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

You can take your body armour on and off in the inventory screen (hold BACK/SELECT). Very neat. No longer taking extreme measures to avoid exposure on the beach.

FluffyDice posted:

I was playing around with taking selfies and I broke the GUI.

If you have any idea how to reproduce that it could be really useful. Long range selfies are kind of missing right now (what if you could put your camera down and have it take a photo on a timer? Cmon R*!). Though I guess it doesn't matter now that we can get other people to take our photos for us.

'Excuse me, could you take a photo of me and my car? Here's $5.' *drives off without paying* *runs them over*

It's cool that is a thing.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

aw poo poo look out Henderston

Now all that needs to happen is for the game to be able to show you streams of your friends or crew members on your TV in your house (or at the bar?). I mean, it doesn't do that, right? Because that would be amazing.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Wow. :aaa: That's great. I might never leave my house (if I can ever afford one), just sit at home watching my friends being chased around the place, whilst talking to them on their phone, and calling the shots.

I think they call they aiding and abetting, but you gotta earn a living somehow.

edit: VV probably a combination of launch and optimisation in multiplayer, it does seem to load textures slower, however if you are on 360 and you have the option, I can only recommend installing the play disc to a good USB stick/HDD.

The performance is probably marginally better than playing from disc - in both single player and multiplayer it totally removed any pop-in for me.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

I've been playing all day with no issues on Xbox, but made the mistake of having a friend join and play tennis. When we were finished, we got dumped into separate games. After I tried to join him I'm now basically locked out, getting the 'cloud server' or 'timed out when matchmaking' error (after choosing a character). Welp. I had a good run. Maybe it'll come back to life :smith:

If you're in a good free roam session, don't attempt to join other sessions unless you want to risk it. If by some fluke someone else manages to join you, stay in free roam.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 2, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

For helicopters, don't use the stick for anything other than nose up or down, stick to using the shoulder buttons for turning and use them gently. Alternate between fully nose down and lifting up with various amounts of throttle to keep them heading forwards at full power.

Though I agree, with the exception of the Cargobob, they all suffer from ridiculous turbulence. Not sure why they changed them from GTA IV.

zVxTeflon posted:

Why did they take the realism bullshit so far. This series used to be fun when you could go on crazy rampages. Now if theres more than 2 cops even remotely near you you're killed instantly.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's realism exactly, but I definitely think the characters could all do with having more health (double? triple?). It's far, far too easy to get popped at extreme ranges from some rent-a-cop, which shouldn't really be happening. You have to play really defensively if you want to go on rampages, mostly sticking to cover on a roof somewhere, rather than running and gunning and doing ridiculous stuff. GTAIV was a bit like this but it's even more exaggerated.

Maybe we're just spoiled by the practically infinite hp in Saints Row.

And in multiplayer of course you just run into people who insta-snap lock on to you and headshot you through your car windshield as you speed past them down the freeway. That's not fun. (can't wait for the return of hardcore lobbies/free roam - that was a killer feature in RDR).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

wa27 posted:

Speaking of taxis, is there no way to go into first person view (talking single-player, here)? I used to just hop in a taxi and stare out the window for a while in GTA4 but I can only get the first person view now if I'm selecting a new location.

You can do it, but it's some kind of glitch that I haven't bothered reproducing yet.

I think it has something to do with cycling between your viewpoints (near/far/furthest) and leaving them on the nearest right as you get in, then taking your sweet rear end time on the destination selection. Maybe even hitting pause as you get into the car to set a waypoint.

Basically I know it can be done because I've had it happen a handful of times by doing those kind of things. And when it works those car journeys are really sweet.

Experiment, and tell the thread.

It's really odd that they removed or didn't re-add things like that, that were really nice touches in GTA IV - like the ability for your character to cuss people out in online ('ya mammas a whore').

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread