Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Javes posted:

Are some properties designed to only be feasible to purchase post-main story? There's one that is $15,000,000 and that seems like an unattainable amount of money where I'm at right now.

I think you missed a zero in there, but basically yes, I think the absolute best-case scenario pre-finishing the game if you do everything "right" is for a single character to have about 30-40 million total, which isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually GTA Online takes place before the SP as there are characters in it that die during the plot.

Maybe they just got Wasted and woke up at the nearest hospital $5000 lighter...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Irsh posted:

So the credits are currently rolling on my playthrough and I have to wonder, why would anybody initially pick the option to kill Michael or Trevor?

How many of you actually chose to kill one of your characters? I certainly did not!

I am curious about the repercussions. Do you lose that character indefinitely if you choose to off them?

Earlier, some people in this thread chose to kill Trevor and lost him forever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lady blue shanghai posted:

Does anyone have tips for the Construction Accident random event? I've failed it three times. The bulldozer doesn't want to lift the pipes at all, it just pushes them, even if the scoop thing is lowered all the way.

Pushing the pipes should be all you need to do, you just need to clear the doorway to the truck so the driver can get out and then haul rear end in reverse.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

So I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this game installed on my 360 for about 4 hours now. I've tried starting with the install disk and with the play disk, which then prompts me to put in the install disk. When all of the content is done installing my xbox goes to a black screen and I eventually have to reboot. If I try to start the game it just goes to a black screen. I've gone through this process like 4 or 5 times so far. Any idea what is going on? I've got 28gb free space so I know that's not the issue. Maybe it's the fact that I'm installing on usb?

Everyone I see having problems is trying to install the Play disk. I'm just trying to get the install disk loaded. Any help?

Does the install disc actually go through the install process when you run it? There should be a counter showing the total install size of 7400-ish MB and how far along the installation is. If it does, it should then ask you to eject and put in the play disc, which should then take you into the game.

Just as a sanity check, you're supposed to run the install disc like a normal non-installed game disc. Installing it using the Xbox interface (pressing Y on the disc's icon in the dashboard) doesn't work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cute as heck posted:

Also, I wish HDMI capture worked on the PS3

It does if you have $19 and an extra power outlet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sad as this sounds, the torture scene actually has a lot of, dare I say, "replayability" because of the variety in how things happen:

First time I did it I picked the car battery 4 times in a row because I felt like it would do the least amount of lasting damage to the guy, thinking the gas can would employ fire somehow. In the end, while taking him to the airport, he kept begging to be taken to a hospital while Trevor kept saying he was fine. My second time I picked all four options once to get the 100% completion on the mission, which resulted in a knee smash when I picked the wrench. The drive home focused on the fact that I'd pulled a tooth out so his speech was muffled because of the swelling.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hamburlgar posted:

Quoting myself as I'm just about to finish up the story. Anything I'm going to miss out by choosing option c?

Not really. There are some super-tiny minor things that you can potentially miss out on elsewhere in the game but nothing worth losing sleep over:

Major losses

For the last mission, picking option A or B will result in the character you chose dying. This will permanently remove them from the post-game and likely prevent you from getting 100% completion.

Minor losses

Failure to bring at least 4 hitchhikers up to the Altruists as Trevor will prevent the shootout and its rewards from happening, might be required for 100% completion. Note that the horny drunk couple counts as two. Ideally, bring those two, the runaway bride and the drunk guy whose friend talks him out of driving drunk; they all give you like $80 as a reward if you drop them off normally so it's no real loss. The crazy hitchhiker who isn't Ursula would probably be an acceptable substitute. Ursula has a red backpack, the other talks about partying and has a jealous boyfriend and gives you no reward.

Bringing the wrong people to the Altruists
- Castro (the guy who has a fight with his wife about golf outside their house): bringing him to the golf course will unlock him as a friend for whoever drops him off, and he becomes a golf opponent you can play against.
- Ursula (the crazy-in-the head hitchhiker with a red backpack) can become a booty call for Trevor or Franklin if dropped off at her place.
- Unconfirmed: It may be possible to deliver Packie to the Altruists. I'm pretty sure the wounded driver doesn't show up as Trevor.
- Some characters have sizeable payouts (e.g. the mob boss' daughter gives you like $60000 when all is said and done).

Other random events
The guy getting married who's tied up outside due to a botched bachelor party gives you a white Rolls Royce clone, not sure if it's obtainable some other way. I'm pretty sure the time limit on this mission prevents the Altruists from being an option.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 30, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CVagts posted:

So I just invested in Debonaire before Multi-Target, cashed out when it topped off. If I flip all that money into Redwood, will it eventually go back to normal and make me even more money? And if so, how long does it take to normalize?

Yes, about two days of in-game time (you'll have to go to sleep like 8 times). It should go from not budging to 300% profit very quickly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised people in Australia still think that a date set for a video game could possibly mean their time zone. It's either going to be GMT, EST or PST. Those are the time zones things are released in.

Except for the very game we're talking about, which even includes the PS3 digital release. New Zealanders IIRC could unlock it at midnight their time and it's why we got the reports of problems with the digital version as early as we did.

Although I think you're right that this is almost certainly going to be a worldwide simultaneous unlock; there is basically zero chance of the Rockstar Social Club working tomorrow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Furism posted:

The various ways you failed are a bummer, but don't ever complain that you need checkpoints. GTA V is too generous on check points, if anything.

I remember a mission in GTA3 where you had to steal 3 cars, all over the city, in like 20 minutes. They were placed in a way that took maybe 19min 30 to complete the mission. If any of the cars had any scratch, you'd fail. No check point, no GPS. Failing at the last 100m because some pedestrian walked on the street was maddening. Not saying we should get back to that, just giving some context to show how generous GTA V is with checkpoints compare to the previous titles. The third triathlon is like the longest period of time in that game where you don't have a checkpoint.

PS: I failed that triathlon because I missed the last. loving. Checkpoint. I have yet to make a second attempt.

The last thing I needed in GTA 3 to 100% it was the ambulance drop-offs. Was on the final stretch with something like 3 patients left to deliver. Delivered one to the hospital, but was too zealous in driving away from the hospital and I ran over the patient before he counted as being delivered. Insta-failed, never tried it again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pleatherface posted:

Are most of these types of events one time only?

Once you complete them they generally don't come up again. You can usually fail them and they'll reappear, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chard posted:

I see what you're saying but honestly I feel like that choice is kind of an idiot test. If you don't pick the right option, do you really have anyone but yourself to blame?

I think a few people got the idea that the list was "Michael dies/Trevor dies/Franklin dies" and not "Michael dies/Trevor dies/no one dies." Also, there isn't really much warning of the possible implications, especially since the game doesn't let you save.

To compare it to Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, those games have several missions in a row at the very end with no downtime between them for narrative reasons. Before you start this chain you get a pop-up that explicitly says "Once you accept this you will not be able to freely explore the island until the storyline is finished. Are you sure you want to start now?" and gives you the opportunity to save.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

randombattle posted:

I bet Martson children will make up over half of the population of GTA online. Dude got buuuusy.

John Marston is the Genghis Khan of the GTA world.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Knightmare posted:

No company has had a successful online launch to a million+ players yet.

For that matter, when Apple launched the iPad 3 their online store with its basic design crashed and burn because of worldwide demand. I think it might actually be impossible to handle a million+ active connections at a single point, and the only real way to deal with it is to segregate users by region or some similar setup.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

No it isn't and it's hilarious that people are saying it is.

kcer posted:

So you think Rockstar should be handling it better, or what? I'm trying to think back to the last online launch I was around for that went well, but all I can recall is Aion, Star Wars, GW2 and BF3 and they were all quite poo poo.

Honestly, while there have been smoother launches, that was mostly because the population at large wasn't chomping at the bit to get into the game in question. Any time there's a multiplayer launch of any majorly popular game, including things like WoW expansion packs, the servers crash and burn hard on release because it turns out that the most powerful server money can buy still isn't powerful enough for millions of independent connections fighting to get online (even server clusters have a focal point for the connections coming in so adding servers only goes so far). I mentioned Apple and the iPad 3 launch earlier for a reason. When the most valuable company in the world can't keep a text-and-static-images store online during peak demand I venture to say that no one can, it's just a thing that happens.

Although I'll agree that the single player save corruption is a special layer of bullshit I don't remember any other game having (although I don't remember the last time a game's multiplayer launched after the single player either).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^It pretty much is when you consider the game clock runs at 30x real-time (and if you drive at street-legal speeds).

rotinaj posted:

It's suspension of logic. Again, I'd rather have a gameworld that makes sense than the game show you to be adrift in a thousand miles of ocean. Even if you design the water to be very pretty and move realistically, I feel that it invalidates everything the setting of this game claims it is.

So what you're saying is that future GTA-style games should take place in the Maldives? I'm OK with this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

So this seems to only work outside peak hours, like right now when I'm at work. So I have to wait until enough people just get bored of the game to be able to play it when I need relaxation the most? Are they going to eventually work it out so the game is at least playable between 4-8pm EST? I'm perfectly happy to wait another day or two but I don't see how that will matter. Is it possible they may just never get this under control and the game will never really work correctly during peak hours?

This always happens the first few days of any successful online game. A poo poo ton of people, even with things working correctly, will get bored of the game and stop playing (e.g. I know a lot of people who played Diablo 3 in its first 2-3 weeks but basically no one who has played it since, at all). If this game ends up being like crack and having a huge constant population they will get more servers to maintain the population, like what happened when World of Warcraft first launched. Blizzard sold more copies in the pre-order phase than they expected to sell in the first year; at the time there was a belief that there was a worldwide cap of something like 500k-1m people who would play an MMO at all, let alone a specific MMO, and then when the game slaughtered that belief and was incredibly successful Blizzard had to scramble to get more servers online, which especially in those days wasn't as simple as throwing money at it and IIRC it took over a month for things to return to a tolerable level, where you didn't have 20+ minute queues on a good day (good luck if you were trying in the 4-12PM Eastern window), or constant server reboots.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Right but what your describing is what I feared. I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks for people to get bored of the game. I'm a relatively patient guy and I have a life outside of video games, so a few days is no problem. I start to feel ripped off if weeks go by and I'm not enjoying the product I thought I had paid for.

Ah. If it's a timing thing that could be tricky. On the plus side, it seems things are slowly improving, my guess is Monday should start to be a lot smoother (all bets are off for Friday and the weekend), at least to the point where not being able to connect should be pretty rare.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Slayer1597 posted:

Can you still deliver people to the Altruists after the story is finished?

As long as you still have people left to deliver, yes. I didn't even start until after the credits rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^ This too.

Hakkesshu posted:

Where are people getting that huge beard for Michael and baldness for whomever? I've been in every loving barber shop and it's all the same three styles for every character.

There is a very upscale barbershop called Bob Molé on the Vinewood Hills strip near Michael's house (right next to the Ponsonby's). IIRC you get it there; all other barbershops are identical, and he has unique styles for all three characters.

• Locked thread