Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I was loving around near the train yard as Trevor, and saw a lone rail worker standing around. "What the hell," I says, and go to deck him. Motherfucker ducks my first punch, shouts "hell yeah, I NEED this" and starts boxing me. I gave him a fair fight just for being a rad dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh man, the way Trevor laughs at the masks they're all wearing in that one heist :allears: For some reason it's the funniest thing in the game for me so far. He just sounds so genuinely amused by it :D

This was funny for me as he was the one who bought them in my game, and he still sounds surprised when they put them on.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really love the characters he murders, and it's upsetting to watch what he does to them.

I personally couldn't stand that dickhole he stomped in his intro, so that was super satisfying. :smug:

(Still pretty brutal to watch, though.)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Darkness5780 posted:

I too had a car disappear out of Michael's garage. Granted, it was just a cop car, so I didn't care that much. Cars I have stored in other places have yet to disappear.

I've had every car I've stored in a safehouse garage disappear so far. I don't think any have disappeared from the purchased garages, except for one. I spent about 40k upgrading a Sentinel XS with Michael, drove to the not-yet-purchased Vinewood garage, and bought the garage while in the car. It jumped to the interior shot with the "Get in a car or walk to the exit to leave" text and me on foot, and my car just loving vanished. :argh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

i am not so sure posted:

I'm doing the mission where there's a tow truck and garbage truck involved and it leads to a big shootout with the cops. All I need to do now is kill snipers with Trevor. I've killed two already but apparently there are "tons" of them "on the roof opposite you, T." I've been looking around for ten minutes and there are NO snipers, confirmed. Is this a glitch or something or am I not looking in the right spot?

I was able to switch to Franklin and target the third sniper with my carbine, for what its worth.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

You can't pick it up. I found this one and haven't beat whatever mission opens them up and I could not do anything to actually grab it.

I picked it up within the first ~3-4 missions with Franklin, so uhh...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

What mission unlocks the last set of car upgrades/mods?

I'm about 42% completion just did the FIB armored van heist, stole a couple cars for Devin Westin and I had the top tier engine/transmission/suspension stuff available. Might be the car theft mission(s)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Then again this is the same developer that couldn't get garage inventory right so :v:

Not only that, it has somehow regressed from earlier games. :psyduck:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I did the (I think) third Rampage last night and after killing a bunch of Ballas in an alleyway, a lone red blip showed up at the opposite end of the alley after my psycho vision turned off. Thinking it was a straggler, I took out my sniper rifle to check him out. It was a dude on a bmx bike, wearing green. He turned non-hostile as soon as he got into the alley and ran away, leaving the bike. Maybe I'm reaching, but it instantly struck me as a call back to the beginning of SA (even though CJ isn't wearing green at that point). :v:

Also, one of the mission goals for Trevor's "crash the Merryweather train" mission (wherein you have to jump a Sanchez onto a moving train) is "better than CJ." :haw:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Awesome Animals posted:

Just found this out:

There is a setting under Display, called "Vehicle Camera Height", that allows you to change it from "Low" to "High". This should help for line of sight issues.

I've been pining for almost an opposite setting for the helicopters, as in I wish the camera wouldn't tilt forward with the chopper when I push forward on the left stick.

High view is awesome for cars and boats, though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I guess there is still no announced release time for GTA Online, right? I suppose it's too much to hope that it will be released tonight at midnight but I hope it releases early enough tomorrow that I can play all day.

Don't worry, you probably won't be able to play for a few days anyway!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

pearlescent combinations

WHAT. Where is the pearlescent option? Does it only show up after an initial respray?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

Does Lester give Franklin any other missions besides assassinations? Basically, I did the first Lester mission already (following the "become a billionaire" guide), and there's another Lester mission ready for Franklin, but I didn't know if they were only assassinations.

At one point there can be two "L" markers on the map in green if you are playing as Franklin, I think with one of the heists. The assassinations will always be labeled "Assassination" when you move the cursor over that "L" on the map.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've driven right in the gate off Western Highway several times now in mediocre sports cars, beelined for the hangar with the jet and blasted off without incident.

I tried for the 4-engine cargo plane a day or two ago; I made it out of the base, but was hit with a couple SAMs and lost the left two engines. Limped all the way into the Vinewood hills at an altitude of around 80 feet before the other two crapped out under the strain and I bellyflopped onto some mansion.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just had the (non-story event) weed farm raid north of Grapeseed show up for the first time even though I've driven and flown up there about a dozen times over the course of the game. Is there a specific thing/mission/event that has to happen before that will show up? Every other time I visited that location it was just a man and woman farmer and a bunch of cows. I finished the main story a week or so ago.

The one thing that stands out is that I just did a land drug runner mission that took me there, and shortly after I drove up there again and that's when the spoilered event happened for the first time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

The more I think of Franklin's assassination missions, the more I wonder how frigging GTA could get this mainly right and the latest Hitman couldn't. Seriously, here's a target, he'll be coming by to pick up his hooker, think of a creative way to kill him. This isn't brain surgery.

I just wish they would throw randomly generated targets up after the handful of fully "designed" hits were completed.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

VarXX posted:

That only happens in Multiplayer. If you zoom in in single player, every light is a car

I think static lights and car lights are different, even in SP. Static lights (the light sources, not the streetlight model itself) are always present on the whole map, while car lights do something similar to GTAIV where the long distance "row of headlights" is blended with the near-distance actual car models when you get close enough.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There are so many things wrong with car ownership that I just don't see them changing with a patch. Something as simple as being able to reassign a character's default car would make it so much better, without even getting into the clusterfuck that is the garages/impound in SP.

On another note, the iFruit app is hilariously bad. Installed it on my phone, walked Chop for a few minutes, and exited to the phone's home screen. Looked at the phone again about an hour later and the drat app had sucked the battery dry hammering away in the background. Something like 50% battery in an hour.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

What exactly is the key to saving a car outside of a garage (i.e., at a character's house). Or at least, does it do anything other than make sure it won't be gone after you quit the game? I saved a sports car at Franklin's new digs, ended up blowing it up after a chase, and then it was gone forever. Is that WAD?

With one or two exceptions, if its not inside a garage it isn't really being "saved." Sometimes the last car you've invested in (mods, etc) and driven will stick to you for a while, for instance if you do a mission that has you leave that car it'll usually show up back at your house or near the mission completion point. Sometimes it goes to the impound, if that's not already full with two previous lost cars from that character.

The only vehicles that will always respawn are the default cars for each character, and other story- or narrative-related cars (Franklin's motorcycle, Micheal's family's cars, etc).

The exceptions to "inside a garage" are at places like (Trevor spoilers?) the strip club and at Floyd and Debra's, where cars can be parked in an outdoor location and be saved.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

How the hell are you supposed to track down the bail bond runners for Trevor's sidequest without a guide? Neither the map that comes with the disc nor the in-game one show that level of detail, and the woman doesn't even say something like "east of <town name>".

I mean, this isn't exactly an Elder Scrolls game where I can ask the NPCs for directions, here.

I used the high resolution game map from the OP and found all but the last one with that. For that last one, I took a helicopter up reasonably high (trying to match the altitude in the photo) and flew around with the overhead camera for a while. Took about 10 minutes like that.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

What's up LA goon. Yeah it's very weird having a five-star car chase down the same roads I use to get to work. I love that though because I hate this city and getting to wreck up a virtual version of it is fun.

Oh good, I'm not the only one having psychotic thoughts like this.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I haven't played this game in forever, but the biggest turnoff about it for me was that when I played it at release, the car saving system was dogshit. In other words it was entirely broken and didn't exist.

Does GTA V now let you do what Saint's Row does, where if you save a car to your garage, you can then go to your garage and get it out, drive them around, and wreck/blow it up or whatever and when you go back to your garage, a new copy of your car with all the upgrades will be there waiting for you?

They did not change the fundamental mechanics of the car saving system, but they did at least squash the worst bugs in the existing system AFAIK. It's still basically a useless trophy shelf kind of setup, but at least that works now.

The only vehicles that basically do what you're looking for are the three default character cars - Michael's Obey sedan, Trevor's truck and Franklin's charger knock off - and secondary story-related vehicles like the motorcycle that you repo early on, Amanda's convertible, etc.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 23, 2014

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Contextually the controls make absolutely no sense at all.

I think it's exactly the opposite of this. When you're flying a plane, the primary controls are all accessible without repositioning fingers. You're not firing your gun as a primary function of flying (or at all, in fact), so why not use those controls in a better way in that context? It's the same idea in a car, or helicopter, or on foot. In each situation the main controls move you in a sensible way with a pretty wide range of movement input. I think the best example of the primary controls being well thought out is in using the cellphone - you can drive, walk down the street, fly a helicopter etc all while simultaneously navigating your cellphone with a distinct set of inputs (awkwardness and split attention issues aside).

Some non-primary functions, like firing a weapon in a car for instance, could probably use some work - I think that's a limitation of the finite inputs on the gamepad, more than anything though.

I don't mean to say I think it's without fault, but compared to the PS2 era it is a definite improvement.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

They wind up in the impound if you abandon them. You can go to the impound lot and get a menu of cars you've modified, and retrieve them there. It shows as a white car icon on the mini map.

Was this changed for PC? Because on the 360, it just randomly impounds two cars that I've driven, then it's full and doesn't impound any other cars unless I retrieve one of those (for $250). Far and away the most useless mechanic in single player, IMO. If it kept a list of every car I'd driven, or only impounded modified vehicles, it would be great.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

I guess Trevor's going to have to buy a proper garage because none of his safehouses have garages and it's hard to tell where to park to keep your cars. I modified a Romero I found, and tried to park it in "Floyd's driveway" but apparently it wasn't the right spot because it disappeared and got impounded. Later I drove it to the spot in front of Trevor's trailer and yet again it disappeared on me.

I really liked that hearse :(

The trailer has a garage around back.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

I can't stand the "Goo Goo Gaa Gaa" song.

CJ, you a busta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

GtaIV used euphoria to create rag doll animations on the fly. It also allowed them to grab onto things as they rag dolled. The same way as in the force unleashed. They either didn't want to use/license it again or didn't have enough system resources when making 5.

Euphoria is still in there, just combined with more canned animations.

• Locked thread