Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh boy, a new thread!

Snapmatic time.

Here's what I think of you and your ten bucks, lady. #kifflom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hatbox Ghost posted:

What is this using for reference? It looks like they just took the San Andreas map of Los Santos, made it some arbitrary size, and then compared it to Los Santos from GTAV. Also saying that San Andreas doesn't use repeated buildings? That's blatantly false and leads me to believe whoever made this was just tripping on nostalgia.

Pretty sure whoever made the comparison map is a moron. They're assuming the airports are identically sized in both, so that's the scale reference.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Michael's special ability can do some fun things. This guy took a mini uzi mag to the chest, after two shots he dropped to his knees and the impact of the bullets kept him pinned against his car door until I ran empty and he fell over. :unsmigghh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Who Dat posted:

A stamp of approval nonetheless. Ah yeah, it was something awful :rimshot: alright. I traded it in within a week.

Just a reminder that SoE was supposed to be the breakout AAA title of the season and GTA3 was a hopeful experiment.

Ah, the old days.

edit: Hiked up Mt. Chilliad as Trevor, engaged psycho mode, ragdolled to the bottom. So much fun. :allears:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 24, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
For everyone disappointed in the story, what exactly were you expecting? It causes some minor gameplay issues money sucks but I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through.

Also I dare anyone to tell me that the letter scrap in the hedge maze isn't an LA Noire callback.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

McDragon posted:

Downloaded this off the PSN on a whim yesterday. Heard the horror stories about it, but the pop in is no worse than San Andreas for the most part. Good fun so far. Chop is adorable. For a killer attack dog anyway. :3: I like Dobermans. At least, I think that's what he is. That first mission with him was hilarious.

Ragdolling about is great, giving everybody the finger when driving is great too. Just have to remember it defaults to a gun. Lots of times I've meant to flip somebody off and shot their car by mistake.

Chop is a rottweiler.

Just ragdolled through the door of Michael's house, was hoping I'd get "He-Hey! Your dad's back!" for that entrance. I got "I'm still alive, in case anyone's wonderin'."

I'll take it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I found a lawn gnome mooning me.

Wait. Is that a wedding ring!? :aaaaa:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

webmeister posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if custom radio stations as a feature got cut from current-gen console versions because of hardware limitations. We've already seen what happens to a 360 that tries to access both discs from the same HDD, so adding custom music to that would probably be a nightmare.

Or they just want you to use the system music player to avoid copyright problems.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I just get annoyed at how quickly wanted levels rise. One minute I'm driving along and then 30 seconds later I have a 5 star wanted level and I have people jumping out of helicopters at me. :psyduck:

Uh, unless you ran somewhere you shouldn't be, you have to kill a lot of cops and blow up a decent amount of equipment to get to five stars.

One star is alerted, two stars is aggressive, three is helicopters, four is SWAT, five is... helicopter SWAT I think?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I may have blown up a car or two by throwing grenades out of the window. I usually end up dying to people shooting me out of helicopters just for a minor offense of hitting a cop car that escalates into me killing a whole bunch of cops that are psychic and no exactly where I am hiding even when I'm all the way out of sight.

Put it this way - I died 4 times and each time achieved at least a 4 star wanted level driving from Trevors house to the airfield to do the drug running. Then I turned off my console.

You do know you leave a blood trail for a good ten seconds after you get shot, right? Or fall down, or scrape your face on a garbage can, or get hit by a semi, etc. You also leave footprints in dirt and sand. Easiest places to lose cops is hard ground with lots of obstructions. Don't leave a trail, stay out of sight, then steal a car when nobody's looking and drive off into the sunset.

Also you can fool the cops by stealing a fire truck when they're not looking, slamming the hammer down, and turning on the siren. Blew past a whole squad like that, least subtle stealth maneuver ever.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 25, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh yeah and anyone who finished the Epsilon missions and got millions of dollars, I assume you absconded with it?

I'll take my awful tractor and gold medal and be happy with it, thanks. :colbert: Kifflom!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly I love this game but it does feel like a poo poo load of content was left aside for GTAO, which I'm not too happy about. That and the fact that the single player feels kind of half complete already (car glitches, no Android app) makes it kind of a shame that so much potential was missed.

I agree and disagree, there may be a lot held back for GTA:O, but that's all getting unlocked in less than a week, for free, and at 58 hours played I'm at 80% on the Social Club checklist. This is a huge loving game. If 90% of the content was held for online, I'm gonna have a serious problem on my hands.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PriorMarcus posted:

A few years ago I would've agreed with this, but now I'm older and I play games in burst of a couple of hours at a time, which really doesn't seem like enough of an investment into GTA:O that I'll be able to see a lot of that content. Also I play multiplayer so rarely these days that I was going to let my Gold account lapse, so...

I know all of the above is my own problem, but I do feel like I'm missing out on content which could've been included in the single player all the same.

Why would you have had time for the extra gobs of content if it was offline versus online? It's still the same time sink. You can still play GTA:O completely solo, though I do get the complaint about the Gold sub.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Valen posted:

Yeah I can usually get away alright from 1-2 stars but 3+ is almost impossible with psychic cops spawning from thin air, always moving exactly in front of me no matter how much I swerve or break line of sight, and they always seem to see through changing cars even if I pay attention to traffic laws. Either I'm missing something very basic or there is some wildly varying behavior in this game.

At three stars you pretty much have to take the helicopters down before you start running, otherwise they know exactly where you are at all times. If you break line of sight they don't tend to spawn right in front of you as much. Blast the snipers rather than the pilot and you'll get a little more time before another one spawns, because he'll run away to go pick up more dudes instead of crashing and instantly letting another chopper spawn.

I've started getting really good at escaping cops in this game, but sometimes they rain bullets on you so fast you have no time to react.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Wow, whoever posted about that last Triathalon was right, that's some buuuuullshit. GTA3 style 'why the gently caress are you overtaking me' bullshit no less. :smith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oxxidation posted:

I have literally driven right past pursuing cops with 2/3 stars because they hadn't identified my vehicle. It's a neat wrinkle of the Wanted system, if a little inconsistent.

Blowing past them in a stealth fire truck with the siren going at four stars is the best feeling.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pleads posted:

I wonder if super dark tinted windows helps in this situation...

It didn't when I tried to park and shut my lights off earlier, though admittedly they might have recognized Michael's signature red-and-chrome two tone Tailgater. :shobon:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just went to customize Tracy's car, brought it back, hopped out, and Jimmy spawns in the driver's seat the moment I shut the door and nearly runs me over. :stare:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
No. Your psych evaluation is something that you can share from your social club profile. Here's mine!

From the office of Dr Isiah Friedlander
Client Notes - Highly Confidential
So needy and vain.
Classic fence sitter!
Scared of adult hood and its many realities.
Classic consumer, trying to fill spiritual void with material possessions - should try to sell them a lot of my books, CDS etc.
Hmm – makes weird judgment calls about morals.
Avoids certain seamy behaviors - unfortunately not all of them.
Ignores family life.
Keen to be part of American dream, which is odd.
Easily offended to point of extreme rage.
One person crime wave - who talks proudly of this country!
Ignores anything spiritual.
Definitely not a fitness freak - just a freak.
Friendly, but terrifying.
Not a finisher.
Oh brother!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Platystemon posted:

I’m guessing this is an oversight of the feature where if a character was driving a vehicle last time they had focus, it will often be parked nearby when the player switches back.

Someone forgot to blacklist the submarine category. :allears:

They either forgot or ran into it during testing and laughed so hard that it's now a feature.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Why exactly is Trevor's speech after the torture scene catching people's attention like that? Trevor doesn't say torture is bad, just that it's ineffective. He's annoyed that he just tortured someone pointlessly, not that he tortured someone. He's pissed that he wasn't doing it for his own reasons, and that torturing someone for any other reason than you want to torture them yourself is missing the point. Also notice how he treats the guy afterwards. There is absolutely no chance there's actually anyone waiting at the airport. None.

I keep hearing people say it's a self-insert speech to give the author's point of view, but I keep thinking those people didn't listen to the same speech I did.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Who Dat posted:

Thats not what I meant. It's the gameplay presented in hindsight to the speech I have an issue with. Trevor doesn't like to torture because people tell him to? Me neither. It's that they put that speech in after they make you torture someone that's loving infuriating to me. The torture itself is a moot point. It's the mini game that's pointless as gently caress. It's like they went "doo be doo torture is okay but Trevor don't like doing it when his hand is forced but we're going to make it a mini game so your hand is forced too hurr." What are we supposed to commiserate with a fictional character on his views of torture?

It's not a boo-hoo moment, it's dry, dark, British humor. That's really my only explanation, which also explains why it made me laugh really hard. Maybe I'm just a bad person? :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Who Dat posted:

Well no, you're not. But they could have made that viewpoint more effective and poignant by making the scene a cutscene and not an interactive minigame. That's my point I guess. I get Trevor's humor, just not Rockstars excuse for using that moment to...honestly I have no idea what they were trying to achieve or explain because I would have understood the humor if Trevor had just gone. "Whee torture I love torture don't you? I love when other people make me do torture." That would have been too tongue in cheek I guess. And then it would have made sense. So :toot: I guess.

I think they just wanted to use the scene to make Steve Haines look like a Jack Bauer-esque douchebag. Which it was pretty effective at doing!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Fun detail I noticed last night: Your phone screen is actually rendered on your character's phone screen, in real time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh my god Franklin's special ability gives his cars super traction as well. Just escaped the cops by driving up a mountain in his personal car. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
But they are customizable? You can even customize the family's cars.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Capn Beeb posted:

Such as? I'm not being snarky, honestly curious.

There's molotovs scattered around in a few places for one, you can't even get them at Ammunation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just did that per your recommendation. Tonya did have a mission for me, and I did it, but it wasn't that 1 left on the character switcher, so I basically did one of those lame tow truck missions for nothing :negative:

You have tow truck missions up until you buy the place, so keep it up!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lady blue shanghai posted:

How do you flip people off from your car? I saw posts saying to press L1 when unarmed, but I can't make myself be unarmed in the car. :confused: If I select unarmed before I get in a car, my guy still shoots when I'm in the car.

Switch to unarmed while in the car by hitting X (Square on PS3) until you pick the fist. There's no weapon wheel in cars, you just cycle through.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chard posted:

Are you kidding me? The mission starts with you loading fat bags of cash into the car they want you to drive, and then the VO is like "don't run away with that money now!". It practically begs you to escape with the cash, I am utterly baffled that people missed that cue.

I got my tractor and I love my tractor, so bite me. :colbert: Kifflom!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'm kind of hoping midnight, because although I work from home, it's been busy lately and I want me some playtime.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

crusader_complex posted:

In general, Im kind of curious (not mouth-frothing angry, just curious): how does hammering a server lock up the client machine? Id think the server would ignore any connections once it was maxed out (maybe its some sort of gateway server getting saturated, that would direct clients to the best-pinging server). Especially on consoles, where everyone has pretty much the same configuration. Is it related to the game automatically trying to quickmatch? Are they letting people partially connect because, while its frustrating, its more engaging that "failed to connect"?

I imagine this gets asked every major multiplayer launch, forgive me if so.

Console is waiting for a response, even an error, server keeps saying "yo hold up a minute" and eventually throws back half of a "yo hold up a minute" because of the traffic and the console goes "what in the sweet gently caress do i do with this poo poo" and locks up in fear.

Also, drat do I love the chrome finish in this game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh my god what the hell was that Epsilon thing during GTA:O??? :stare:

Don't feel so weird about taking the tractor now, I can tell you that much.

Also I am loving this so far, had a perfect gas station heist for the tutorial with some random guy who watched me stick up the clothing store he was in earlier, then my second time on some guy tried to jack my awesome neon green roadster by shooting me in the face. Luckily I just finished a deposit, then headshotted him when I respawned. Got back my car and an extra hundred bucks, which went right to the bank.

This game. :allears:

Also, I adore that losing wanted stars gets you XP. Nice touch. Losing more stars gets you more XP, too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So the uh, cops on online. They're... friendly.

Also managed to get a great shot of Franklin's bike lookin' solid with new pearl paint (after online kicked me off).

Is there a Snapchat thread yet?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

all apologies posted:

Finally got online, seems until they button up the issues with getting people actually online steadily its going to be a fairly repetitive game online at the moment. As long as they follow through with what theyve claimed the potential is here. Was fun for the hour and a half I played online with my crew. Entertaining to say the least. There are easy bugs to drop cops, total blind spots on the map you can just run to. Anyways, it was fun I guess.

It seems to be repetitive, though it's got enough charm and it's enough fun driving around and raising hell to be worth it. Still haven't co-oped properly, but I'm really looking forward to driving around like a dick with a full crew heisting liquor stores and blowing up pedestrians.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Jet fighter deathmatch. Oh my god.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I noticed something interesting during one of the property missions (Pitchers getting shot up I think?) that might explain a bit about the cop behavior. Civvies were driving around in a total panic screaming their heads off for a really good distance around the shootout (like a couple if big city blocks), way before I could hear anything going off, and I'm willing to bet the cop AI relies on the same thing. Folks in LS are just hypersensitive to gunfire I guess.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheRamblingSoul posted:

For anyone still worried about car deformation in GTA V:

:staredog:

I was laughing thinking about those discussions the other night when my car looked exactly like this, basically.

Handled like a fuckin' champ, too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zedicus Mann posted:

Except Brad's dead. He's buried in the grave marked "Michael Townley"
That's a major plot twist spoiler too, if you didn't play the story.

Speaking of that twist, I loved watching the intro again knowing what should have gone down versus what did. You can see Michael start panicking the moment Brad goes down, and his FIB buddy who comes back later on is actually the one who took the shot.

Like the style or not, that's some good attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The flaming bullets cheat in Max Payne 3 was an enormous disappointment.

Not so in this. :allears:

• Locked thread