Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«57 »
Tharizdun
Jan 2, 2005

The Elder Elemental Eye
@npcdel

So I really want to see what the finest minds in Magic can do as far as creating fun, playable, balanced and unique cards. If you don't have it, snag Magic Set Editor to make convincing-looking cards. (Mac version allegedly here)

This is a weekly contest, with the previous week's winner elected as the next week's sole judge and arbiter. Each week has a theme!

Previous winners:
12/7: "Red Mythics": Curse of the Caged Jackal by Algid
11/30: "One Drops": Royal Trepannist by Entropic
11/23: "Timeshifted": Urborg Elder by GyroNinja
11/14: "Charms": Guul Draz Charm by BizarroAzreal
11/5: "Horror Movie Icons": Caustic Parasite by Dungeon Ecology
10/29: "Expensive 1/1's": Runesworn Knight by Eeevil
10/22: "Egyptian Fill-In": Pyramid Lynx, by Jet Set Jettison
10/15: "Utility Lands": Unstable Dam, by Zekky
10/8: "Shard Colors": Temporal Crusader, by kas
10/1: "Fatty with a Drawback": Feral Chronatog, by Ramos

NEW WEEK'S THEME:

Tharizdun's personal favorite greatest hits:
Kaalia of the Mast
Time Balk
Azami, Lady of Fire
Myr Charm
Assassin O'Clock
Goblins Without Broders
Painmonger
Live Fast // Die Young
Morzog, Curious Learner

Entropic posted:

A few notes on templating:
  • Permanents are put "onto the battlefield". They haven't been put "into play" since 10th edition or so.
  • Ability words like Heroic, Metalcraft and Morbid don't actually have any built-in rules associated with them; you have to spell out what triggers them on each card.
  • You never need to have a card say "While this is on the battlefield, such and such happens". All abilities are assumed to work on the battlefield and only on the battlefield unless stated otherwise.
  • You don't have an untap phase or an upkeep phase or a draw phase; you have untap, upkeep and draw steps during your beginning phase.
  • Damage, mana amounts, and references to power or toughness are always written as numerals and never spelled out. (e.g. "Lightning bolt deals 3 damage.") Numbers of most other things are always spelled out (e.g. "Draw two cards.")
  • Lord effects should specify that they only affect creatures where applicable. e.g. "Goat creatures you control get +1/+1" not "Goats you control get +1/+1" because ever since Tribal went and ruined everything you have to take into account that you don't want some hypothetical non-creature Tribal Enchantment - Goat getting a +1/+1 bonus that makes no sense for it.
  • For the love of Emarakul, please use gatherer to search for cards with similar abilities to whatever you're trying to do so that you can see how it's worded on cards that actually saw print.
MORE HELP FOR MAKING CARDS!

Kabanaw posted:

An important rule in designing cards is making sure that players don't have to remember that something exists without there being a visible reminder somewhere in the game. The reason cards like Obsidian Fireheart or Xathrid Gorgon put counters on things they change is so that a player can look at that card and remember "Oh, this has a petrification counter on it, it's an artifact creature with defender." It reduces the number of play mistakes overall and lets the players focus on their strategy and the game itself instead of wasting headspace remembering extra gamestate information.

One more thing, templating style stuff: The placement of abilities on cards isn't random. They're often placed so that the parts that are relevant sooner are placed sooner. The order is generally additional costs both keyword and non-keyword, non-keyword alternate casting costs, abilities that change how a card can be cast (pretty much just flash), evergreen keyword abilities, block-specific keyword abilities, characteristic defining abilities (eg. setting power/toughness) enters-the-battlefield abilities, all other abilities, and finally keyworded alternate casting costs (eg. flashback and overload).

This order can change for any number of reasons, but it's usually because a different order increases readability. For example, Geist-Honored Monk has its characteristic defining ability before its ETB ability, while Duplicant has its ETB ability before its characteristic defining ability. That's because Duplicant's characteristic defining ability is linked to the creature it exiles with its first. The order of abilities on a card don't actually change how it functions, but correctly ordered abilities make a card's effect easier to parse.

Tharizdun fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2013 around 19:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

For fellow dirty machavers, This seems to be a serviceable replacement for MSE.

e:

E2: I just realized that Squadron Roc is a huge card disadvantage engine (draw 3, discard 12). I'll make an updated one tomorrow that's discard one at ETB to make it neutral card draw. I'll finish the cycle too if I get a minute.

BXCX fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 05:34

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

An interesting idea, nice one Tharizdun.

Don't need any upgrades, but I enjoy thought experiments so:

Zorak fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 06:18

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Beaten to the punch with my similar idea.

Oh well, I like the art and concept anyway, so it stays.

Though it strikes me as looking a bit better in the old format.

Ramos fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 07:38

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006
DOOM!

I was going to make a green 8/8 for GG4 that doesn't untap the turn after it attacks if the defending player doesn't control any creatures when it attacks. Then I found Spectral Force and it seemed kinda pointless.

I have a few terrible ideas though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

I really want that Even Handed Judge to cost BW.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

I dunno, maybe "when it attacks" and 4/1 would work better? I think it feels kind of Innistrad-y, and I won't be surprised if I accidentally duplicated something from the 8 years of cards I skipped.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eikre posted:

I really want that Even Handed Judge to cost BW.

With mechanics update with black being added. It honestly can't cost WB unless the p/t is dropped to 3/3. Also don't like the color scheme as much.

And before you ask:

Yeah, it admittedly looks quite pretty.

Ramos fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 12:14

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

I had proposed this idea before, with my intention being a joke that you never actually got to take the extra turn, but I think this ends up being super useful. I just wanted it to copy the template of Faithless Looting for the most part.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011
I'm insufferably autistic

After my favorite bad card that's won me a 10ed draft (it wasn't in my deck). Also it might need a better way to discourage blocking because right now it just stonewalls goblin guide which is kind of dumb.

Zoness fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 14:38

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

Even-handed judge and the oni already exist as Flesh Reaver from Urza's Saga. I think you can do better.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I had proposed this idea before, with my intention being a joke that you never actually got to take the extra turn, but I think this ends up being super useful. I just wanted it to copy the template of Faithless Looting for the most part.
This doesn't actually work; it adds a turn to the turn stack, then tells you to skip your next turn, which will be the just-added turn. See Final Fortune for the template you want. (Also, if Timeless Looting did what you think it did, I think it would be a horribly broken auto-4-of in a lot of combo decks.)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Even-handed judge and the oni already exist as Flesh Reaver from Urza's Saga. I think you can do better.

Well, there's no upward limit on how many cards you can make and if nothing else, I am a bored college student with two easy electives this quarter.

edit: Wait, this will put everything in forever casting. Give me a moment...

edit2: Clunky as gently caress fix. I will think of a better solution later.

edit3: Better fix.

Ramos fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 14:54

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

Ramos posted:

Appropriate flavor, imo.

Tharizdun
Jan 2, 2005

The Elder Elemental Eye
@npcdel

I actually like this twist on Flesh Reaver, since the damage is locked at 3, so pumps and the like can be used to circumvent the drawback (much like my card says destroy instead of sacrifice, so you can combo with Darksteel Relic)

Ramos posted:

Just add the phrase "from your hand" and it's all fixed.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I dunno, maybe "when it attacks" and 4/1 would work better? I think it feels kind of Innistrad-y, and I won't be surprised if I accidentally duplicated something from the 8 years of cards I skipped.
This actually is kinda cool. Might be a good spot for a "must be blocked if able" effect. I also like that as a 4/3, no matter what creature they have out (even a 0/1 Goat), it always trades.

Tharizdun fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 14:56

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Appropriate flavor, imo.

Appropriate, yeah, but we need to make it at least somewhat functional. The card is updated, though I have a feeling a proper R&D made card would say "cast from your hand" or have something relating to paying mana for it.

edit:

Tharizdun posted:

Just add the phrase "from your hand" and it's all fixed.

Yeah, sure, we'll do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

I'm gonna open with this:

Best worst card indeed.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Mr. Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Basically you shouldn't be able to cheat it by failing to find.

edit: alternate mechanic:

Mr. Peepers fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 16:11

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

That would be bonkers in combo. Seriously. Right into manamorphose.

Edit: Just stop. Those are ridiculously broken cards with no downside. You are in the wrong thread.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2013 around 16:13

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

The club is mine. I am the beginning and the end.
All clubs exist through me.
Let the universe despair.

Mr. Peepers posted:

edit: alternate mechanic:

I'd probably be okay with those if they had 'If you control no [Basic Lands], sacrifice [Legendary Land]

Otherwise they're pretty ridiculous.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Edit: Just stop. Those are ridiculously broken cards with no downside. You are in the wrong thread.

I don't recall us being limited on what kind of cards we can submit, just that they're being judged by a certain criteria.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This burger is God Himself. The "two Buns" exist as His observational terminals for this lower domain. In order to assure the continuation of our world, we must eat Him up.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Red doesn't get to loot like that anymore, sadly. This is what red would get:

I made it a sorcery to avoid that whole "casting before your draw step makes the card do nothing" problem.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

U-DO Burger posted:

I made it a sorcery to avoid that whole "casting before your draw step makes the card do nothing" problem.

Why not make it next upkeep?

Tharizdun
Jan 2, 2005

The Elder Elemental Eye
@npcdel

Just letting everyone know, this card is already way out front because of that flavor text.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Chamale posted:

Why not make it next upkeep?

This is a cool card, except that it's not red, it's white.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Goblins are funnier than Human Soldiers, and big 1-drops with a drawback aren't white even though the lifegain is.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Chamale posted:

Goblins are funnier than Human Soldiers, and big 1-drops with a drawback aren't white even though the lifegain is.

Then the drawback should be red instead of white. Sure, they're goblins, but they're acting like white creatures. Why not change the color but keep the race?

I would up it to 2 CMC, add a power, and make it cost RW.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011
I'm insufferably autistic

Kabanaw posted:

Then the drawback should be red instead of white. Sure, they're goblins, but they're acting like white creatures. Why not change the color but keep the race?

I would up it to 2 CMC, add a power, and make it cost RW.

That would be Goblin Foreign Legionnaire instead.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Maybe it would work if all damage it dealt to creatures your opponents control is prevented, or if, for as long as it is in play, it prevents 1 or 2 damage to creatures your opponent controls from sources you control.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I love this idea, and had a couple thoughts bouncing around for this sort of thing already, because I am a giant dork.

These guys lay down THE LAW, but unfortunately for you, that law includes strict resource management and regular tithing in addition to punching your foes in the face:

This is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head forever, for a cycle of enemy colour tri lands:

And on the subject of poison counters, I would love to try and make some jank around this guy - you have four turns to use him, and it's just enough. Make them count.

Card advantage! Sort of...

I'm sure there's probably all sorts of dumb ways to break this by putting it on your birds of paradises or whatever, but I still strongly feel this is potentially the most exciting means of donating a creature to your opponent:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Taeke posted:

Maybe it would work if all damage it dealt to creatures your opponents control is prevented, or if, for as long as it is in play, it prevents 1 or 2 damage to creatures your opponent controls from sources you control.

No, because red doesn't do damage prevention. My point is that you shouldn't move an effect into a color that doesn't use it because it makes a cool flavor idea work. Don't fit the mechanics to the idea, fit the idea to the mechanics. This idea is these goblins that are helping your opponent by healing him or her - which is a red creature performing a white action.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I've had this one sitting around for a while, actually.

As has this one.

And so has this one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

The club is mine. I am the beginning and the end.
All clubs exist through me.
Let the universe despair.

I liked Phylactery Lich's gimmick, so I made another one that does more stuff.

And now that I look at it, it's Timmy as gently caress.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

I always want rainbow aggro to be a thing but it just seems strictly better as 3-4c

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

T2 wurm, T3 armed. Swing with an 12/12 trample double strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Might be better balanced if it includes damaging a player too.

«57 »