Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I just watched the beast wars movie and it was alright. Kinda not happy that we didn’t see the Maximals in action until the last act. Optimus Prime as an rear end in a top hat was a cool take though. It’s short on runtime and it felt nice.

I do gotta admit the twist in the after credits scene got a chuckle out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They should do a Days of Future Past type thing with these so I can see David Kaye and Frank Welker Megatronning it up at the same time.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

They should do a Days of Future Past type thing with these so I can see David Kaye and Frank Welker Megatronning it up at the same time.

If only Tony Jay were still with us...

Yeeeessssss......:smug:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't like these movies except for Bumblebee but by happenstance I ended up working on this movie. Rise of the Beasts at least had comprehensible action scenes. Emotionally was kind of flat, even though they tried to make us feel so bad for the main characters.

Animating a transformation sequence is one of the most difficult things to do in the entire animation/vfx industry. Insanely challenging, and everyone who managed to do one is a demon. Every single bit of efficiency I thought would exist to make that sort of automated does not exist. It's just the product of being to visualize how a robot becomes a car and vice versa.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I loved the early transformation sequences. I actually made notes on my phone about Bumblebee's arms punching out of the sides of his car mode, and Arcee always doing some kind of really cool flip.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I'm halfway through this, and this video clearly draws on this very thread (even showing it in the video), but it makes a lot of new points and has fascinating ideas and developments of things in the later movies in that framework. It's awesome, basically. Especially when it gets into the Unicron stuff.

Belated (but who gives a drat, someone else bumped the thread) but this video is worth a watch just for the line:

"Little old Optimus Prime, the 35 foot tall truck man who wouldn't hurt a fly, unless it has a face he needs."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

I loved the early transformation sequences. I actually made notes on my phone about Bumblebee's arms punching out of the sides of his car mode, and Arcee always doing some kind of really cool flip.
The first movie really did go all-out to show you something you'd never seen before with the transformations, and made them look absolutely believable despite the ridiculous amount of fakery needed to make them work (there are behind-the-scenes videos from ILM that show wireframes of parts popping into existence one frame before they enter shot). Which was why it felt so bizarre that from the second onwards they were kind of shrugged off, with only a few 'hero' transformations that gave you a good look at the process - most were just 'clunk-clank-clunk', whirl of bits, done.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought the main difference was the first had more stationary transformations, but as the films went on they got much more into having them transform while moving.

There’s one of the later movies where certain robots transform by just turning into a bunch of cubes and then reforming as a different thing. Which probably caused it’s own issues for the fx department but spared the animators some pain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love how optimus prime never transformed the same way twice

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Captain Invictus posted:

I don’t think any characters did.

As a toy collector the most entertaining part for me was that the movie people were given free reign to design whatever and use whatever alt mode they wanted, and then it got handed to the toy designers and told to “figure it out” and make it into a mass market toy that actually functioned.

And they did it, and have continued to do it for 15 years straight.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Assepoester posted:

Learning to Love Michael Bay's Transformers Movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVSl9wtToc

Really fascinating video. I do think at least some of this stuff was at least partially intended by Bay, but having said that, I prefer the generally more cohesive story and likable characters of Rise of the Beasts as the direction of the movies going forward. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

That's in the finest TFTM tradition

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is there another way to download the articles in the op? Google has expired them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
PDF Archive to the rescue!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Thank you!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Okay I went back and watched or rewatched every Michael bay transformers except age of extinction. Here are my bullet points.

-The films seemed very focused on architecture! There's the obvious class commentary stuff with Michela's lining environment vs Sam's obvious, taken for granted material comfort, (he refers to himself as "poor" at some point but, cmon) and eventually Carly's almost castle that she houses Sam within. But as it goes there are a lot of ornate municipal architecture, temples, and ruins that seem to play into the greater political commentary. The end of revenge of the fallen, in the middle of the wanton destruction of ancient ruins, has a scene where Shia Lebouf kills a robot bug in what appear to be the remains of a temple with glass bottle stained glass windows, immediately followed by deceptions attacking him. Last Knight features a related scene of drones chasing mark Wahlberg through a church. Dark of the Moon contains a lot of ornate, temple-esque municipal spaces, most importantly the building Spock is trying to create the space bridge with, but also the space at the beginning where the agents meet, and again Carly's home. Part of the thread seems to be miscommunication between the old and new world, preservation vs destruction, weirdly the modern skyscrapers and office spaces are the main subject of destruction in this one.
-John Goodman robot introduces himself with three separate, terrible catchphrases. This one made me laugh.
-Sam's mental breakdown in rotf includes drawing symbols all over his bad boys 2 poster.
-The anxiety with Sam's robot girlfriend is linked with his date, over a computer, with Michela. Either way he is instigating a sexual relationship with a machine, and the film is clear that all the women depicted ARE machines, which is to say, an image of a woman cast by a film projector or DVD laser.
-There is a small musical reference to "Revenge of the Nerds" at the party Sam attends.
-At Sam's job in moon, everyone is using lenovos. Lenovo is what IBM became.
-Sam directly expresses his action death wish to a soldier while Carly, whose brother was killed in one of these, is covering her ears.
-They escape the collapsing building by landing on the fire escape of an older building. The modern skyscraper does not have one.

I am sorry I missed the boat on this thread!! The PDF was some wonderful analysis.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm rewatching this series with my wife and there's a few things I've noticed or that she's mentioned. Like how Optimus talks so much but says so little and how Megatron is interesting to her from an immigrant's perspective -- he speaks Cybertronian and keeps his space jet mode -- and she considers the Autobots and Deceptions separate races. She pointed out that almost every character says one thing but does another.

What leaps out to me is that Revenge of the Fallen has a few gems in its unbelievable amount of mess. Sam's ability to identify Orion's Belt comes from him tearing through the textbook in thirty seconds, which is pretty funny, but also when his mom calls Soundwave a perverted mouth-breather, he is actually asking "Where is the boy?" which adds a neat wrinkle to why they abducted them: well, poo poo, we tried asking nicely...

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 7, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a09yJU-mCI

Wow! Transformers One! Wow!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bee starts out as cowardly but after he gets weapons he becomes his violent Bayformers self. That's pretty funny.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bay leaving a permanent mark in Transformers can only be seen as a positive.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s pretty crap but then again it’s a kids thing so I guess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I guess this is supposed to be more of a side thing while they make the Rise of the Beasts sequel/checks notes, GI Joe crossover?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think Transformers has enough of a consistent storyline for it to have "side things." They're just things.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The called the eighth Transformers movie the Transformers One.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The One with The Transformers (F.R.I.E.N.D.S s03e12)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The transformers one as opposed to the one with annoying humans

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. Transformers One the victory over themselves. They loved Optimus Prime.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would like a transformers movie that just looks exactly like the cybertron scene from Bumblebee. That was some pretty full cg shots.

Transformers One looks nice, though I'm not a huge fan of the smooth metal faces that can somehow contort in a human way. It'd be nice if there was some texture work that make it look as if their faces were made of pieces of metal. But I'd much rather animate those designs than the super complicated ones from the vfx films.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gatts posted:

It’s pretty crap but then again it’s a kids thing so I guess.
the original transformers is pretty crap/for kids thing too

I haven't watched any of G1 since I was a kid, but that poo poo was g-o-o-f-y. like, I saw this shitpost animation recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0BlIA-9y0&hd=1&t=32s

and was like "heh that's a pretty funny little animation cobbling together an altercation with a bunch of decepticons's voice lines" but then saw the original and no that's a reanimated version of one single scene of the decepticons slapfighting in the middle of a flooded stadium while the autobots watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiRkwPYgt8

G1 transformers was silly as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Captain Invictus posted:

G1 transformers was silly as poo poo

Careful, some people will have you guillotined for daring to suggest that the G1 cartoon had any other purpose than To Sell Toys.