Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Maigius posted:

We really need to get control of tech debt right now. We have a package that's been EOL for over 10 years and four similar, but annoyingly different ways of compiling front end JS and CSS. These also have critical third party issues we should fix.

I’m in the middle of that right now. I got so fed up with the cruft that I created a list of all the home developed applications and for the last two weeks I’ve been meeting with the developers to document the purpose and status of each project.

Turns out, of the 91 programs, 24 can be redone using our existing mulesoft license, 7 on SSRS, and 18 can be decommissioned outright.

These are the same developers who bitch that they are too busy maintaining to do any net-new work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You are doing God's work.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wibla posted:

You are doing God's work.

God would turn the executive into a pillar of salt for daring to look back at the burning company he left behind.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This is the pettiest thing in the world but windows 11 is really driving me crazy because the UI really thinks when I click on a file and drag while holding down LMB I probably don’t really mean that I want to move the file, surely I I’m actually trying to drag select more than one file.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

That's why it's extra annoying when it's *not* free and you're just trying to find out how much it costs or whatever.

:10bux: or GTFO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a group that you can outsource user assistance tasks to that will sit on the phone for half an hour with your user base and talk them through things like following the MS Authenticator instructions to the letter and not losing their patience when the people asking for help decide to go completely off script and then get frustrated when things don't work? I need people with patience levels unheard of in the IT sector but a solid understanding of how to answer an M365 login prompt with the correct details.

Hell, if anybody is looking for their startup idea then this is it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think they call that an MSP.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a group that you can outsource user assistance tasks to that will sit on the phone for half an hour with your user base and talk them through things like following the MS Authenticator instructions to the letter and not losing their patience when the people asking for help decide to go completely off script and then get frustrated when things don't work? I need people with patience levels unheard of in the IT sector but a solid understanding of how to answer an M365 login prompt with the correct details.

Hell, if anybody is looking for their startup idea then this is it.

I am literally looking at getting a pile of these for the users whose inability to follow instructions without someone there to slap their hand when they go of script is matched only by the level of entitlement they seem to have. That and the ones who want $50/mo or a company phone to get MFA texts or authenticator app. Sorry bro, you get nothing but another card to carry around.

"Here is your authentication card, put in the 6 numbers it shows when you sign into webmail or your PC. If you lose it we're billing you $50 for a new one."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a really affordable and solid solution.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I used to love these kinds of entitled idiots back at the ad agency. I'd be the local distribution point for the occasional "do this if you ant to keep getting email" type messaging. I had a set of usual suspects who'd email or call and say that they were having trouble with the new thing they had to do. I'd ask, "how far did you get before you had trouble?" Then they'd gently caress off and actually do the thing.

I'm not sure how I was generating enough shame at "do it for me" for most of them. Spreading the word that some people couldn't pour piss out of a boot even with instructions on the heel probably helped.

Honestly, public shaming is such a useful tool for generating compliance.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mllaneza posted:

I used to love these kinds of entitled idiots back at the ad agency. I'd be the local distribution point for the occasional "do this if you ant to keep getting email" type messaging. I had a set of usual suspects who'd email or call and say that they were having trouble with the new thing they had to do. I'd ask, "how far did you get before you had trouble?" Then they'd gently caress off and actually do the thing.

I'm not sure how I was generating enough shame at "do it for me" for most of them. Spreading the word that some people couldn't pour piss out of a boot even with instructions on the heel probably helped.

Honestly, public shaming is such a useful tool for generating compliance.

I enjoy your rehearsal story every time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I enjoy your rehearsal story every time.

I paid in sanity for every story.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Network engineer was supposed to help figure out why some label printers weren't connecting to the new network he made when they were able to connect to the old one. He couldn't find the printers last night, and while I was asleep he messaged me first saying he couldn't find the printers, despite my telling him right where they were, and then that I'm now on my own for the ticket.

It's not even just a ticket, it's a project that's being held up by IT and the guy straight tosses the dead cat back into my backyard despite that I have zero control over the network configurations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spend your day with a floor plan of the office and build an exact route for them to follow and send the ticket back. gently caress laziness like that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

klosterdev posted:

Network engineer was supposed to help figure out why some label printers weren't connecting to the new network he made when they were able to connect to the old one. He couldn't find the printers last night, and while I was asleep he messaged me first saying he couldn't find the printers, despite my telling him right where they were, and then that I'm now on my own for the ticket.

It's not even just a ticket, it's a project that's being held up by IT and the guy straight tosses the dead cat back into my backyard despite that I have zero control over the network configurations.

Sounds like it's time to whip out the ol' CC.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Just a few days ago I was telling someone I was pretty pleased with the Azure UI and it did what it needed to do pretty effectively.

Then I load the Entra portal this morning and not only have they changed it so that initial menu choices don't load in a middle pane anymore (the submenu replaces the initial menu in the left pane, meaning you have to click back out of this to get back to the initial menu), but they've also changed all the category headings to collapsible headings and to really gently caress it up on top of everything, defaulted all these headings to collapsed. Meaning that accessing an individual blade is now many clicks more than it used to be. (There's an absurdly tiny "expand all" button at the top of each submenu and it seems to at least remember whether you expanded the menu before, but why the gently caress this is defaulted to collapse-all I have no idea).

Basically it sounds like some idiot rear end in a top hat UI designer went "well this is far too cluttered we need a nice clean menu" and collapsed everything into a nice neat small bundle. Except gently caress you, this isn't a consumer program, it's an admin portal where first-order access to every part of the portal was a big efficiency driver and now you've added extra complexity to make it look nice.

Fuckin Microsoft (I mean they're not the only ones of course) - always fixing things until they're broken.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Just a few days ago I was telling someone I was pretty pleased with the Azure UI and it did what it needed to do pretty effectively.

Then I load the Entra portal this morning and not only have they changed it so that initial menu choices don't load in a middle pane anymore (the submenu replaces the initial menu in the left pane, meaning you have to click back out of this to get back to the initial menu), but they've also changed all the category headings to collapsible headings and to really gently caress it up on top of everything, defaulted all these headings to collapsed. Meaning that accessing an individual blade is now many clicks more than it used to be. (There's an absurdly tiny "expand all" button at the top of each submenu and it seems to at least remember whether you expanded the menu before, but why the gently caress this is defaulted to collapse-all I have no idea).

Basically it sounds like some idiot rear end in a top hat UI designer went "well this is far too cluttered we need a nice clean menu" and collapsed everything into a nice neat small bundle. Except gently caress you, this isn't a consumer program, it's an admin portal where first-order access to every part of the portal was a big efficiency driver and now you've added extra complexity to make it look nice.

Fuckin Microsoft (I mean they're not the only ones of course) - always fixing things until they're broken.

I fuckin' agree. I let out a loud "what in fresh hell" when I realised I couldn't find the node I was after because it was collapsed under a useless menu. My colleagues all were asking "is the Azure portal different for anyone else?" as well and man, gently caress those interventionist idiots who can't just leave things the gently caress alone!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It is annoying but not enough people use the feature where they can favourite different tabs of that UI, give it a try for the stuff you use commonly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This disease where UIs change regularly is infecting all kinds of products. It's infuriating. We need to stop letting software designers make decisions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But their passion is graphic design!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Crowdstrike changes their entire console seemingly every 3 months. Infuriating.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The worst is when the companies that do this try and make up for it by telling you how good their search is - no. Muscle memory for day-to-day activities beats having to type the thing I'm after every time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Big shoutout to the nameless shithead at on the Office 2003 team who decided that moving your most commonly used menu options around was a good idea.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The worst is when the companies that do this try and make up for it by telling you how good their search is - no. Muscle memory for day-to-day activities beats having to type the thing I'm after every time.

I'm at the point where I reach for search even on my loving phone to find an app or setting. Default right to it, don't even think about it. I don't even have that many apps.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

It is annoying but not enough people use the feature where they can favourite different tabs of that UI, give it a try for the stuff you use commonly.

Are you talking about how you can add service areas like Azure SQL, Private Link, Storage Accounts, and so on to the leftmost menu? That's not the problem here. The problem is that when you go into an instance of that service, all of the attribute areas like Networking, IAM, Compute + storage are hidden under a collapsible menu for no fukken reason.

I am angry about this because it's such a useless, pointless change that just fucks things up for everyone. Fire the person who signed off on it into the sun.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Spent like 2 hours today setting up a PC at work realizing that post Microsoft 365 rebranding there are effectively 2 websites - office.com and microsoft365.com and that I had to use the latter for some stuff. Very fun stuff all around I hate that dogshit company Microsoft gently caress. Office worked for a bit but I guess now it's like for family and private accounts? Maybe? Who loving knows. I certainly don't!

(I don't have a golden image to format PCs and all that so I install some stuff manually and gently caress poo poo)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weatherman posted:

I fuckin' agree. I let out a loud "what in fresh hell" when I realised I couldn't find the node I was after because it was collapsed under a useless menu. My colleagues all were asking "is the Azure portal different for anyone else?" as well and man, gently caress those interventionist idiots who can't just leave things the gently caress alone!

My favorite thing is the Power Automate 'New View' being so feature incomplete that copy/paste doesn't exist. And when I turned it the gently caress off to be able to set up my stupid flows, one of the 'why don't you like it' options was 'lacking copy/paste functionality'.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weatherman posted:

Are you talking about how you can add service areas like Azure SQL, Private Link, Storage Accounts, and so on to the leftmost menu? That's not the problem here. The problem is that when you go into an instance of that service, all of the attribute areas like Networking, IAM, Compute + storage are hidden under a collapsible menu for no fukken reason.

I am angry about this because it's such a useless, pointless change that just fucks things up for everyone. Fire the person who signed off on it into the sun.

Specifically in the context of the Entra portal you can favourite individual configuration areas so the 6-8 you actually use are at the top. MS should stop loving around with the UI though of non-consumer software.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Entra portal raison d'être is being able to separate the identity management component from the rest of azure, the fact that they decided to take the opportunity to gently caress around with menus is subpar but, let's be honest, the old menus are also a clusterfuck of sub levels for stuff like managing the MFA or other security items.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
I think my hugest gripe about Microsoft's quest to forever update everything to a new look/feel/name/technology/meme is that certain documentation is never updated correctly.

So you can spend your life trying to fix an obscure issue in InTune, only to be told to open the "Settings Blade" (and make sure you have Silverlight installed). But don't worry, the top of the page will have a huge "AZURE AD IS ENTRA ID! Stop calling it Azure AD, that was so last week, it's Entra ID now. Also please ignore the URL's and pages that still say Azure AD, but we've done it all now!".

Bonus points if you've been sucked into the community help hell and whatever MVP will provide a "solution" that refers to a piece of UI that doesn't exist anymore or yet, and will somehow ignore all the replies telling them that, and yet demand the OP mark the answer as accepted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guppy posted:

This disease where UIs change regularly is infecting all kinds of products. It's infuriating. We need to stop letting software designers make decisions.

This is usually product managers rather than designers! The PM engages the designers at some point, but the request comes from elsewhere.

Nowadays, every app sends telemetry data back home. Stuff like Pendo allows orgs to empirically measure what people click, track user journeys through your app, and so on. This allows for easy creation of metrics.

Product Managers tend to chase metrics. Their performance is often based on those metrics, and many of those metrics are focused on engagement and ease-of-use.

Those of us who have spent time in the trenches know that metrics warp performance over time, especially if you tie performance/raises/promotions to them. If you tell a call center dude the only way he gets a raise is if his average handle time is under 8 minutes, he'll start finding ways to end calls early. Doesn't matter if the problem is solved; what mattes is the calls average 8 minutes or less.

Product managers are the much-better-paid version of that. It is extremely common for engagement, ease of use, number of clicks to X, number of users clicking <new feature button>, and similar to be the metric that is tracked and graded. It may be measured directly or as a hybrid metric, like where you divide number of total users by number of users who did thing X.

Whatever the case, the Product Manager is being graded, and the easiest way to boost that grade is to make that poo poo front and center in the user interface. Lazy, inexperienced, or overworked PMs will take that easy route, and we all suffer. Of my four PM-adjacent roles, such behavior was the norm at three of them.

The fourth one had convinced leadership that chasing those types of metrics was a fool's errand. Massive diminishing returns weren't worth the frustration to the existing user base. He focused on adding new features, shoring up tech debt, and increasing supportability of the product. By god he was the best PM I've ever worked with.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Agrikk posted:

I’m in the middle of that right now. I got so fed up with the cruft that I created a list of all the home developed applications and for the last two weeks I’ve been meeting with the developers to document the purpose and status of each project.

Positively glorious post/avatar comb--

Agrikk posted:

Turns out, of the 91 programs, 24 can be redone using our existing mulesoft license, 7 on SSRS, and 18 can be decommissioned outright.

Refactoring? Replacement? Decommissioning??

Heretech!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ConfusedUs posted:

This is usually product managers rather than designers! The PM engages the designers at some point, but the request comes from elsewhere.

Nowadays, every app sends telemetry data back home. Stuff like Pendo allows orgs to empirically measure what people click, track user journeys through your app, and so on. This allows for easy creation of metrics.

Product Managers tend to chase metrics. Their performance is often based on those metrics, and many of those metrics are focused on engagement and ease-of-use.

Those of us who have spent time in the trenches know that metrics warp performance over time, especially if you tie performance/raises/promotions to them. If you tell a call center dude the only way he gets a raise is if his average handle time is under 8 minutes, he'll start finding ways to end calls early. Doesn't matter if the problem is solved; what mattes is the calls average 8 minutes or less.

Product managers are the much-better-paid version of that. It is extremely common for engagement, ease of use, number of clicks to X, number of users clicking <new feature button>, and similar to be the metric that is tracked and graded. It may be measured directly or as a hybrid metric, like where you divide number of total users by number of users who did thing X.

Whatever the case, the Product Manager is being graded, and the easiest way to boost that grade is to make that poo poo front and center in the user interface. Lazy, inexperienced, or overworked PMs will take that easy route, and we all suffer. Of my four PM-adjacent roles, such behavior was the norm at three of them.

The fourth one had convinced leadership that chasing those types of metrics was a fool's errand. Massive diminishing returns weren't worth the frustration to the existing user base. He focused on adding new features, shoring up tech debt, and increasing supportability of the product. By god he was the best PM I've ever worked with.

Okay, I guess we need to start go back to allowing software designers make decisions.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If I think about, there probably haven't been many times in life that UI's have actually improved in most of the products I've used at work.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CitizenKain posted:

If I think about, there probably haven't been many times in life that UI's have actually improved in most of the products I've used at work.

The GUI cycle:
Version 1: Basic, includes only the most important controls or even single control
Versions 2-4: adds major features and the first attempt at proper organization of features
Versions 5-10 (generously speaking, usually more like through v7): become feature complete, polishing of interface and organization
Next 3-5 versions: attempts to variously roll back to old GUI, double down on new, or (most likely) do some weird smashing of old GUI features into new GUI pleasing no one and making the whole thing completely incoherent
GOTO Version NEXT

and repeat the bit under the line until heat death of universe

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like it's time to whip out the ol' CC.

One time ages ago I had a coworker who was trying to order me around, so I reminded them that they were not my supervisor and they CC'ed the closest common supervisor between us for backup, who ignored them

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SyNack Sassimov posted:

and repeat the bit under the line until heat death of universe

Load MMC and the snap-ins like it's 1997 and do your janitoring on windows '27.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Pissing me off : apparently ExplorerPatcher is a virus now. I'm a weirdo who likes the taskbar to the right, so get hosed I guess.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lol wut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Wibla posted:

lol wut?

I assume they mean this, which I found at their github: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/3225