Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baron FU posted:

My biggest problem with GTA games and driving is the fact that you are supposed to hold down W and either A/D while also holding down S for breaking while turning. I can't see how that's good controls.

Edit: Heck add in a Q/E for sideviews at the same time in the older versions. It just gets way too cramped around the ASD area.

Err, no, you aren't supposed to use S to break while turning. That's the regular rear end break that isn't very useful for much and is mostly for reversing. You handbreak through turns, which I had on space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Err, no, you aren't supposed to use S to break while turning. That's the regular rear end break that isn't very useful for much and is mostly for reversing. You handbreak through turns, which I had on space.

Well poo poo. Everytime I used space it just led to me crashing since I couldn't compensate properly with digital controls.

It's a pretty pointless derail since luckily on PC I have the to choice to use a controller.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baron FU posted:

Well poo poo. Everytime I used space it just led to me crashing since I couldn't compensate properly with digital controls.

It's a pretty pointless derail since luckily on PC I have the to choice to use a controller.

It's hard to compensate even with analog controls, especially in GTA4. :) In SA, the handbreak causes you to oversteer less the more you upgrade your driving skill, but I got pretty good at getting just the right amount to drift me through corners. You really just have to tap it once. (this goes for any control method)

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's hard to compensate even with analog controls, especially in GTA4. :) In SA, the handbreak causes you to oversteer less the more you upgrade your driving skill, but I got pretty good at getting just the right amount to drift me through corners. You really just have to tap it once. (this goes for any control method)

I never had any problems driving/flying after switching to controller. And luckily you can get mods that make the Xbox controller works perfectly with the older GTA games as well.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I'm not sure that "console" is really a valid term with the switch to X86-64 this generation. It's more a case of "closed" pc or "open" pc.

What does the architecture have to do with that terminology? That's like saying I should refer to my Roku as an immobile smartphone because it has an ARM chip in it. All 3 last gen consoles had some variant of PowerPC chip in them, so are they retroactively iMacs? :confused:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I think one of the best point of Mantle, from my understanding, is that it is trying to fill the same gap as DirectX while being multi platform instead of stuck to Windows. I guess this means it's way easier to port a game to the other supported platforms.

One of the big work to do when you have a DirectX game is that you need to replace all those calls by OpenGL procedures. Also if I remember correctly DirectX is higher level than OpenGL so you basically have to rewrite some stuff completely.

Also Mantle being open means that it is not necessarily Nvidia that could take it and add support for their hardware but basically anyone, the guys doing Nouveau for example could do it. Is that correct or am I way off base here?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 27, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Low-level APIs like Mantle basically spit out machine code for the GPU. This isn't going to be usable by other graphics manufacturers because their architectures are so different.

It isn't like x86 processors, which have remained compatible with each other because of extensive cross-licensing. The specifics of a GPU's design are generally abstracted away by APIs like Direct3D or OpenGL, which makes code portable across different hardware, but that comes at the price of performance.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 27, 2013

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Low-level APIs like Mantle basically spit out machine code for the GPU. This isn't going to be usable by other graphics manufacturers because their architectures are so different.

It isn't like x86 processors, which have remained compatible with each other because of extensive cross-licensing. The specifics of a GPU's design are generally abstracted away by APIs like Direct3D or OpenGL, which makes code portable across different hardware, but that comes at the price of performance.

Considering that the only other manufacturers are Intel and NVIDIA, and that currently AMD have a total monopoly on the future home console market with PS4 and XBONE both using AMD GPUs, it could become a thing. Hell, since the two consoles use virtually identical architectures it may be simpler to code for Mantle first and port to DX/OpenGL for PC afterwards for NVIDIA and Intel cards, including the Mantle code for AMD GPUs.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Veotax posted:

Eh, R.O.B. ins't really the same thing. Wasn't it just made to trick US stores into carrying the NES as a toy because no one wanted to touch video game consoles after Atari crashed the market?
Nintendo has always been a toy company at heart, bridging the gap between crap like Atari or Tiger and actual computers. They mostly made toys before electronics got cheap to manufacture.

They never dropped out of the "Console War", they've literally been making actual toys this whole time.

This has gently caress all to do with a Valve, though. It always weirds me out when people say they'd make a good combination, Valve makes PC products for 18+ year olds and Nintendo's most profitable toy has been Pokémon. For 17 years. I feel old.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't understand what Mantle or x86's are, so I'm just going to go ahead and say there's going to be a fourth and final countdown in the middle where the tv screen is.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

quakster posted:

This has gently caress all to do with a Valve, though. It always weirds me out when people say they'd make a good combination, Valve makes PC products for 18+ year olds and Nintendo's most profitable toy has been Pokémon. For 17 years. I feel old.
Yeah, but can't you imagine it. Pokemon with hats.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

senseinobu posted:

Yeah, but can't you imagine it. Pokemon with hats.
It was always a possibility.

What could have been...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quakster posted:

It was always a possibility.

What could have been...

Now you just made me picture Pikachu with Scruffy from Futurama's voice.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It would be cool for Japan to "get it",to understand the PC. But I don't think is going to happend. I would love to, because I love the PC, and I have a lot of sympathy for Japan, and It hurts me the stagnation that suffers Japan. But If I am realist, I don't think this (or anything) is going to change how the country works.

And we don't really need to. A Japan that love the PC already exist, and is called Korea. So we already know what could be a Japan with love for a open platform.

So Pokemen with Hats crossover... More like Samsung made Steambox. Or chinese made android phones.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 27, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tei posted:

It would be cool for Japan to "get it",to understand the PC. But I don't think is going to happend. I would love to, because I love the PC, and I have a lot of sympathy for Japan, and It hurts me the stagnation that suffers Japan. But If I am realist, I don't think this (or anything) is going to change how the country works.

The big problem with PC Gaming in Japan is that it's almost inseparable from hentai games. Even the equivalents to Best Buy in Japan have a ratio of something like 3 Hentai games for every 1 non-hentai game, while those types of games are specifically forbidden on consoles in much the same way that any game that gets an AO rating here won't get a console release. It's fairly common for Westerners who travel to Japan and tell people they play PC games to get weird looks unless they specify that's not what they mean.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

univbee posted:

Now you just made me picture Pikachu with Scruffy from Futurama's voice.

Pika, pika. Mmmhmm.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Baron FU posted:

Totally agree. It's also why I find some PC gamers claim that mouse and keyboard is more "precise" for anything and everything dumb as hell. Analog is clearly the superior control form for driving in games much like mouse/keyboard is for shooters.
Nothing is preventing you from using your choice of controls, but expecting developers to design every game around both control schemes is equally ridiculous. M+K is great for some games/playstyles, gamepads are perfect for others, and it's not 1:1. FC3 is a great example because I can play it happily on either control scheme but my playstyle changes dramatically- with M+K I want to play it like a shooter, and with the gamepad I avoid shooting and become a stealth bastard killing everything with takedowns. Vehicle/wingsuit controls are just awful on M+K in comparison, though, which consistently drove me back to the gamepad.

Nobody's forcing anyone to use a gamepad at this point but if anyone's still holding out on buying a $25 360 gamepad based on :pcgaming: idealism it's time to grow up. It's unironically a much better player experience in many games because it's the control scheme targeted by the developers and your left hand controls at the very least really benefit from analog input that a keyboard cannot currently provide.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 27, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Nothing is preventing you from using your choice of controls, but expecting developers to design every game around both control schemes is equally ridiculous. M+K is great for some games/playstyles, gamepads are perfect for others, and it's not 1:1. FC3 is a great example because I can play it happily on either control scheme but my playstyle changes dramatically- with M+K I want to play it like a shooter, and with the gamepad I avoid shooting and become a stealth bastard killing everything with takedowns. Vehicle/wingsuit controls are just awful on M+K in comparison, though, which consistently drove me back to the gamepad.

Nobody's forcing anyone to use a gamepad at this point but if anyone's still holding out on buying a $25 360 gamepad based on :pcgaming: idealism it's time to grow up. It's unironically a much better player experience in many games because it's the control scheme targeted by the developers and your left hand controls at the very least really benefit from analog controls that a keyboard cannot currently provide.

Yeah it is kind of unavoidable in some games now, the mouse as the only analog device doesn't replace things like analog triggers. I still would never play anything that involved aiming a gun with a controller. Frankly, the arcade stick is the best controller imaginable, and I use it whenever possible over both keyboard and pad. I kinda hate unnecessary analog controls. :shrug:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If there were analog triggers for both gas and brakes on the left side, leaving the right hand free to use a mouse at the same time as desired, that could solve all sorts of problems and maybe even make the 4 thumb buttons on my G700 useful to replace the rest of the gamepad :haw:.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Paradox and Double Fine both support SteamOS, both by having games that run on Linux and the idea behind SteamOS. Not AAA developers/publishers, but it's nice to see some support for it.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/26/paradox-steamos-is-a-great-thing-for-pc-gaming-confirms-ck2-and-eu4-will-run-natively/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/27/double-fine-were-rooting-for-valve-and-steamos/

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I feel like somewhere someone is queuing up itshappening.gif and hoping.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's weird. That is a weird controller.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
A steam controller, with touch pads instead of sticks.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hahaha, Valve recognizes the Euro Truck Simulator 2 craze.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Half Life 3: A Controller
People are going to be so mad about this. Some guy I play TF2 with was 100% certain the third announcement was going to be Half Life 3.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
That controller is called Half Life 3, this a deep, deep level of meta-troll. :colbert:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That controller looks uncomfortable.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well so much for that modular design. Still though, looks, uh, promising?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This is not a gamepad I'd like to play most of my games with.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, I saw a post here on SA the other day about how it might be a dual trackpad controller and I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. Egg all over my face.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
No tactile feedback, no thanks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dolphin posted:

That controller looks uncomfortable.

Agreed, but I'll reserve final judgement until I hold one and play with it for a bit.

I trust Valve enough that the ergonomics may look off but are likely fine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Valve is a pretty smart company but that thing looks like garbage, welp! Good thing steamboxes will accept any controller...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Startyde posted:

No tactile feedback, no thanks.

Read the announcement, they have some crazy souped up haptic feedback solution.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy poo poo, I saw a post here on SA the other day about how it might be a dual trackpad controller and I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. Egg all over my face.
Same for me. I even commented how much I'd hate that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think I'm fine with my Xbox 360 controller. I've experienced the joy of mashing my thumbs against flat surfaces before, it's called iphone gaming, and it's incredibly joyless.

e: Also how can it be supported by all games on Steam, what if you have to type to progress in a game?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I hate everything about this, from the trackpad, to the touchscreen, to the pointless announcement, to requiring dev support for a 3rd control scheme besides KB+M and regular controllers.

Edit: How very wrong I was about Source2 announcement. :(

• Locked thread