Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Why is it that there are PC gamers who still act like game controllers are a new thing? My AppleIIc had a joystick attachment for chrissake.

I'm surprised that those people still exist. I'd never consider playing anything remotely similar to GTA, Arkham Asylum or Assassins Creed with a M+K anymore; anything relatively new that isn't a shooter or a strategy game probably plays as well on a 360 gamepad if not better (which shouldn't be surprising since consoles are generally the target platforms nowadays). I've even been caving on some less shooty shooters lately- Farcry 3, Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, even New Vegas and Skyrim are all pretty solid on the 360 gamepad (with some caveats, of course, based on choice of playstyle).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Baron FU posted:

Totally agree. It's also why I find some PC gamers claim that mouse and keyboard is more "precise" for anything and everything dumb as hell. Analog is clearly the superior control form for driving in games much like mouse/keyboard is for shooters.
Nothing is preventing you from using your choice of controls, but expecting developers to design every game around both control schemes is equally ridiculous. M+K is great for some games/playstyles, gamepads are perfect for others, and it's not 1:1. FC3 is a great example because I can play it happily on either control scheme but my playstyle changes dramatically- with M+K I want to play it like a shooter, and with the gamepad I avoid shooting and become a stealth bastard killing everything with takedowns. Vehicle/wingsuit controls are just awful on M+K in comparison, though, which consistently drove me back to the gamepad.

Nobody's forcing anyone to use a gamepad at this point but if anyone's still holding out on buying a $25 360 gamepad based on :pcgaming: idealism it's time to grow up. It's unironically a much better player experience in many games because it's the control scheme targeted by the developers and your left hand controls at the very least really benefit from analog input that a keyboard cannot currently provide.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 27, 2013

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If there were analog triggers for both gas and brakes on the left side, leaving the right hand free to use a mouse at the same time as desired, that could solve all sorts of problems and maybe even make the 4 thumb buttons on my G700 useful to replace the rest of the gamepad :haw:.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

rs: SSD chat, the SSD market has really matured a lot over the last few years and even a lot of low-midrange offbrand SSDs have no downsides at all that you'll be able to detect in normal use without running a benchmark. Check the SSD thread in SHSC before just buying a random one since there are still some brands/models to avoid.

cat doter posted:

They're too small for how much they cost. If they were ~$150 for 500gb or something I'd get one. I don't upgrade that often.
I don't know much about hybrid drives/linux options but SSD caching is pretty much perfect for a steam drive. The Z77 chipset (with Intel's windows software) supports SSD caching of a mechanical drive and I've had my 500gb mechanical steam drive set up this way with a 64gb SSD for 2 years now and I have no complaints whatsoever. Anything I've played recently loads at SSD speed. If not, the second time it loads it'll be at SSD speed.

e: it looks like EnhanceIO might be an option in debian/steamos

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 25, 2014

• Locked thread