Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I love how easily the lawyer walked all over Ryan in their first meeting. Its about time there was a killer who actually understood his rights and didn't immedi.. oh, never mind, he confessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More bullshit with cameras again :sigh:

It just feels so drat cheap when they bring out the security camera footage at the 11th hour to bring down the bad guy. Seriously, if you have footage of a well dressed man walking into the home of a murder victim right after his time of death and spending two hours in there, wouldn't you be running it in the news or something?

At the very least, it's instant proof that there was more going on than there appeared in the case. Certainly would have helped Castle when he was talking with the lady at the start during the hostage scenes.

No, let's not even mention it exists and then use it as a gotcha.

I know it's always been a staple of the show to not reveal their last minute preparations before confronting the killer ("You see, we went to your house again and found the thingy in your collection of vintage doohickies.") but they must have had that footage from the very beginning.

Let's look at the original list of Do's and Don'ts:

quote:

"Twenty rules for writing detective stories" (1928)

1. The reader must have equal opportunity with the detective for solving the mystery. All clues must be plainly stated and described.

The list may be more than a little dated now, what with being 85 years old, but the idea behind that first rule is as solid as ever - don't cheat the reader/viewer.

Oh and "He confessed, it's over." Yeah, I refuse to believe any high priced lawyer has confessed to anything outright. Ever.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Gorilla Salad posted:

It just feels so drat cheap when they bring out the security camera footage at the 11th hour to bring down the bad guy. Seriously, if you have footage of a well dressed man walking into the home of a murder victim right after his time of death and spending two hours in there, wouldn't you be running it in the news or something?

No, not really. Would you think to check the security cameras of the victims place for the time after he was killed somewhere else and you already have a seemingly obvious suspect in custody? No, you wouldn't. They only checked it after they figured out that the victim was killed because he had found something and it might be at his place. Makes sense to me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Beckett/Castle romance was killing the show last season, so i am not exactly thrilled to have everything back as used to be. I thought Beckett in the FBI was a refreshing direction for the show, it is a shame they didn't stick with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She wasn't in the FBI.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I can understand the confusion though. She stated the FBI were the ones to fire her from her job.

I wasn't sure what was rubbing me wrong about the latest ep til I read through here. Have to say I'm in agreement about the camera from the victim's apartment being lazy writing, but mostly I'm thinking it's because they didn't frame it right. If they'd have had Espo and Ryan state hey, we originally thought it was open and shut, but because we got proof it wasn't we thought to go back and look at the apartment complex's surveillance cameras and oh lookie what we have here, lawyer boy!!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know it's always been a staple of the show to not reveal their last minute preparations before confronting the killer ("You see, we went to your house again and found the thingy in your collection of vintage doohickies.") but they must have had that footage from the very beginning.

This show's desire to wrap everything up in a neat little package has always been one of its biggest weaknesses. Beckett's a detective, not a prosecutor. She doesn't need to get a conviction by the end of every episode because that's not her goddamn job.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Aphrodite posted:

She wasn't in the FBI.

My bad, for some reason i thought she was. According to wikipedia she worked for the Attorney General's office, which i must admit i have no idea what is. But either way it was a pretty big step up compared to her previous job, so the point is the same.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oasx posted:

My bad, for some reason i thought she was. According to wikipedia she worked for the Attorney General's office, which i must admit i have no idea what is. But either way it was a pretty big step up compared to her previous job, so the point is the same.

I figured that wouldn't happen because it'd cut loose the entire Precinct cast.

What I would have liked to see is them not give her old job back at all, though, turning into her into a kind of freelance investigator with Castle's resources to do it. That could have been cool and kept all the players.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Oasx posted:

The Beckett/Castle romance was killing the show last season, so i am not exactly thrilled to have everything back as used to be. I thought Beckett in the FBI was a refreshing direction for the show, it is a shame they didn't stick with it.

How? Their romance was the centerpiece of the whole show from the beginning.Frankly I was tired of the artificial angst generated by the "will they or won't they" bullshit. Them being together allows the show to move in another direction and lets the writers evolve the show in other directions.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Drf posted:

How? Their romance was the centerpiece of the whole show from the beginning.Frankly I was tired of the artificial angst generated by the "will they or won't they" bullshit. Them being together allows the show to move in another direction and lets the writers evolve the show in other directions.

Yeah. We can't have two people flirt with each other for 6+ years.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I figured that wouldn't happen because it'd cut loose the entire Precinct cast.

What I would have liked to see is them not give her old job back at all, though, turning into her into a kind of freelance investigator with Castle's resources to do it. That could have been cool and kept all the players.

I was hoping for something along these lines, with The Old Haunt becoming their base of operations and them slowly accumulating the superfriends until they go after Noah (or whatever his name is). Basically, I want them to go for the Men of Letters story from Supernatural that we never got :smith:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mr.Drf posted:

There is a reason why people say it is a bad idea for the two main characters of a show to get together. As soon as Castle and Beckett were officially together the show started to focus on that, instead of the normal plot.

The great thing about Beckett being in another town is that it let them both be people again.

My preferred solution would have been to continue the "will they, wont they" until the last episode of the series.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
If anyone loving mentions the show "Moonlighting", I will personally find you and cut you in half with a loving sword.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Locutus of Bald posted:

If anyone loving mentions the show "Moonlighting", I will personally find you and cut you in half with a loving sword.

I'm not afraid of you, Lone Vengeance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

My preferred solution would have been to continue the "will they, wont they" until the last episode of the series.

One of the nicer aspects of Person of Interest is that the male and female are constantly flirting, but have no sexual chemistry and will never end up in bed together. Of course, if Castle and Beckett didn't get together, then Castle wouldn't be a romantic comedy.

Which it clearly is

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Still don't understand what the point of Pai/Tai or whatever his name is.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Butts posted:

We'll find out when the ratings sweeps start October 31st if he's going to get murdered or be a murder suspect.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think Pi creates conflict between Castle and Alexis without having to stray from the show's weird obsessions with Alexis being the perfect daughter in every way. Even her relationship with Pi is less like they're dating and more like her bringing in a stray puppy.

Also: what's going to happen to the goony slob detective now that Beckett has her job back?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Also: what's going to happen to the goony slob detective now that Beckett has her job back?

I hope he just disappears and is never spoken of again. Then 2 seasons later he turns up super suave working for the FBI.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm hoping for either gruesomely murdered, or turns out to be a serial killer who cleverly infiltrated the Castle home so he'd have inside information on police activity. Because seriously if he's really just there for the lazy and stupid HAHA LOOK IT'S A COLLEGE VEGAN jokes, then gently caress you, Castle writers.

And yeah, I was really hoping for Castle and Beckett to just create a PI firm. Gives a perfectly good justification for them working the interesting cases, they can branch out a bit and do cases that aren't murder, and Captain Gates was actually fun last week. I like her much better when she's aboard the fun train, bending the rules and helping Beckett interrogate dudes, than when she's trying to stop the fun train.

Plus, I think Schmitty had potential :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's the Triple Killer.

"drat it, he got us again!"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Red Queen posted:

On his way back to his home planet his ship crashed and he died

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Gorilla Salad posted:

The list may be more than a little dated now, what with being 85 years old, but the idea behind that first rule is as solid as ever - don't cheat the reader/viewer.

Castle LOVES to use the "the alibi that our killer had turned out to be phony".

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I really liked this week's episode; happy that the show is back to normal. This show is, for me, the equivalent of fuzzy bunny slippers, and I don't want my fuzzy bunny slippers to change much. The DC arc was necessary to move C&B to the next stage of their relationship, because they always need a nudge from external forces to get to the next stage. Now that they're engaged they can relax more about the relationship and where it's going.

I always wondered if the writer vest would ever see any action. Glad to see it actually worked.

Predictions for the season: Detective Messy will die in one of the sweeps episodes. Wedding drama will get out of control until C&B elope in the season finale. Senator Evil and 3XK will show up again at some point. I have no clue what they are going to do with Pi (I don't hate him but I understand why many do). Espo will have to help deliver Jenny's baby when it arrives early; Espo and Lanie will also turn out to be the world's worst babysitters.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That detective do's and dont's list is great and can be applied to many shows. This little bit especially for a certain show:

quote:

I herewith list a few of the devices which no self-respecting detective story writer will now avail himself of. They have been employed too often, and are familiar to all true lovers of literary crime. To use them is a confession of the author's ineptitude and lack of originality.

(g) The hypodermic syringe and the knockout drops.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Well, that was an ending!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Huh, so apparently time travel is now a canonical part of the Castle 'verse.
Interesting.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The_White_Crane posted:

Interesting.

As I was watching I called the crazy guy vanishing. That had to happen, it was obvious they were going to end the episode with some ambiguity towards his story. But yeah the note? That's pretty much 100% time travel right there. Spooky. Really good episode.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I loved this episode! I really thought that they were going to cop out on the time travel, but was pleasantly surprised when they didn't.

Also, Senator Beckett? 3 kids? a serious Richard Castle? The future is very strange indeed.

Also, next week appears to be another fun halloween episode! :)

Edit: I wonder if Beckett thought about destroying the original note to see if it would gently caress up the Time Space Continuum. I guess her cop side advised her against destroying evidence, but if she had destroyed that note then the "neo-facists" would have nothing to go on in the future. Missed opportunities. :shrug:

Oz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2013

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I really enjoyed this week's episode, but I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope Doyle comes back from the future.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Interesting.

I really want this to totally change the series. But I know it won't.

But it has me curious has there ever been a show that has had a genre shift to science fiction? Not just an episode shift, but all of a sudden "Well someone invented faster than light travel, this series is now about the characters we know and love dealing with a whole new world." Lost is the closest thing I can think of.

The business realities of TV probably means this would only ever happen once the show is basically dead and terrible, and would probably be smarter to just kill it and start a new science fiction show if they really liked the premise, I assume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fringe was always sci fi but they did significantly up the ante at the end of season 1.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was an AWESOME episode.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

spidoman posted:

I really want this to totally change the series. But I know it won't.

But it has me curious has there ever been a show that has had a genre shift to science fiction? Not just an episode shift, but all of a sudden "Well someone invented faster than light travel, this series is now about the characters we know and love dealing with a whole new world." Lost is the closest thing I can think of.

The business realities of TV probably means this would only ever happen once the show is basically dead and terrible, and would probably be smarter to just kill it and start a new science fiction show if they really liked the premise, I assume.

I didn't watch the last few seasons of Family Matters but my ex was obsessed with them because he said it turned into Carl and Urkel's completely canon sci-fi adventures. Not sure if that would count.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Red Queen posted:

I didn't watch the last few seasons of Family Matters but my ex was obsessed with them because he said it turned into Carl and Urkel's completely canon sci-fi adventures. Not sure if that would count.

The only time-travel adventure I remember from Family Matters is where Carl gets told to invest in Microsoft/Apple (some other tech firm) and ends up being the richest man in the world. Then his wife doesn't love him so they change it back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Didn't they have an ending like this before with one of Castle's wild theories being apparently true at the end? Since it's a non-serious show I like the idea of occasionally having his nonsense jokes turn out seemingly correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Didn't they have an ending like this before with one of Castle's wild theories being apparently true at the end? Since it's a non-serious show I like the idea of occasionally having his nonsense jokes turn out seemingly correct.

Yeah, they frequently end the crazier episodes with seemingly confirming the magic. They've never been quite as explicit as the note thing though.

They should bring back Doyle, but at an earlier point in his personal timeline. He couldn't tell them they'd already met, for obvious time travel reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
That was really an amazing episode.

• Locked thread