Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Haven't watched it yet, glad to hear it's a good one.

Wasn't there the episode with the psychic where it was left ambiguous as to whether or not she was legit? Telling Beckett that someone named Alexander would be important to her and save her life, and that's Castle's middle name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's exactly what happened.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Haven't watched it yet, glad to hear it's a good one.

Wasn't there the episode with the psychic where it was left ambiguous as to whether or not she was legit? Telling Beckett that someone named Alexander would be important to her and save her life, and that's Castle's middle name?

Yeah, there've been a few episodes like that.

Joshua Gomez was great in this episode, and that ending was hilarious, although it's almost certainly not coming up again.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, there've been a few episodes like that.

Joshua Gomez was great in this episode, and that ending was hilarious, although it's almost certainly not coming up again.

I felt awful that I couldn't remember the name of his character (Morgan!) in Chuck without help.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

spidoman posted:

I really want this to totally change the series. But I know it won't.

But it has me curious has there ever been a show that has had a genre shift to science fiction? Not just an episode shift, but all of a sudden "Well someone invented faster than light travel, this series is now about the characters we know and love dealing with a whole new world." Lost is the closest thing I can think of.

The business realities of TV probably means this would only ever happen once the show is basically dead and terrible, and would probably be smarter to just kill it and start a new science fiction show if they really liked the premise, I assume.

I would love something like this, but yes, it would likely never happen because it would only appeal to a niche audience. Most viewers hate change and aren't interested in speculative fiction. But man, I would KILL for a series that starts off as a perfectly realistic cop show or family sitcom or whatever and then in, like, episode five, ALIENS. Or magic is discovered. Or demons jump out of a portal. If done well it could really emulate the feeling of the world changing overnight better than others shows due to the audience being lulled into a false sense of security and normalcy by the first few episodes. It would take some really drat skilled writers to pull it off though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

I would love something like this, but yes, it would likely never happen because it would only appeal to a niche audience. Most viewers hate change and aren't interested in speculative fiction. But man, I would KILL for a series that starts off as a perfectly realistic cop show or family sitcom or whatever and then in, like, episode five, ALIENS. Or magic is discovered. Or demons jump out of a portal. If done well it could really emulate the feeling of the world changing overnight better than others shows due to the audience being lulled into a false sense of security and normalcy by the first few episodes. It would take some really drat skilled writers to pull it off though.

I think the other issue is that it only really works for the people who watch the first five episodes. Everyone else it's "Oh man you should watch, things go crazy after episode five."

It should be like... two seasons before the surprise so you actually get invested in their world and relationships.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

spidoman posted:

I think the other issue is that it only really works for the people who watch the first five episodes. Everyone else it's "Oh man you should watch, things go crazy after episode five."

It should be like... two seasons before the surprise so you actually get invested in their world and relationships.

Except that you'll tend to piss off the people who are already watching and don't really appreciate seeing the cute Chinese girl that the gay couple adopted suddenly grow to hot adulthood and manifest Carrie-level TK powers that she uses to fight giant CGI robots.

Besides, there wasn't any time travel involved here. The whole situation was Morgan Grimes going undercover with the Chuck gang to thwart yet another evil, mysterious assassin from yet another evil, mysterious organization. The time travel stuff was so that they'd think Morgan was crazy and not check his story too carefully and also to play into the assassin's story, which he used to thwart checks into himself.

Meanwhile, Beckett spilled the coffee the way she did because the time travel stuff got to her on a subconscious level and caused her to spill it just that way.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

johntfs posted:

Except that you'll tend to piss off the people who are already watching and don't really appreciate seeing the cute Chinese girl that the gay couple adopted suddenly grow to hot adulthood and manifest Carrie-level TK powers that she uses to fight giant CGI robots.

That should totally be a movie pitch.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

That should totally be a movie pitch.

Well, I know I'd watch a Modern Family/Carrie/Pacific Rim mashup like that.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This was a fun episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

spidoman posted:

But it has me curious has there ever been a show that has had a genre shift to science fiction? Not just an episode shift, but all of a sudden "Well someone invented faster than light travel, this series is now about the characters we know and love dealing with a whole new world." Lost is the closest thing I can think of.

The business realities of TV probably means this would only ever happen once the show is basically dead and terrible, and would probably be smarter to just kill it and start a new science fiction show if they really liked the premise, I assume.

I mean, it was a spin off of a horrible show, and a horrible show in it's own right, and it didn't even happen then until the second season...but have you ever heard of Baywatch Nights?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
At least two movies have done this (From Dusk to Dawn, Scott Pilgrim vs The World), and one anime (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) but I can't think of any American shows that did this.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
I was totally expecting the end to have Castle find the lease and find out Pi's name is actually Simon Doyle.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

At least two movies have done this (From Dusk to Dawn, Scott Pilgrim vs The World), and one anime (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) but I can't think of any American shows that did this.

From Dusk 'Til Dawn has easily one of the best genre transitions of all time. While it's very, very hard to find someone who doesn't know what is going on, when you do, it's amazing - tell them you're going to watch a crime movie written by Tarintino and just bite your tongue before HOLY gently caress VAMPIRES!.

It really made that movie stand out and it remains my favorite Tarrintino-Rodregiez collaboration, hands down. The first half is a really good crime movie, and the second half is pretty much "Evil Dead II meets Assault on Precinct 13" and it's amazing that through consistent characters, it feels completely seamless.

Do yourselves a favor and never, ever watch the sequels though. Goddamn. It's really a shame they didn't hold off on those and give it a proper cinematic sequel sometime, preferably in a movie with zero advertisement for the vampire part. I'll always have fond memories of watching this one Halloween with a friend on PPV and both of us going "I thought this was about vampires? Oh well, it's still good!" and practically giving up on the idea of them ever appearing by the halfway mark.

ImpulseDrive posted:

I was totally expecting the end to have Castle find the lease and find out Pi's name is actually Simon Doyle.

I think they are going to play this with another "Alexis screws up" angle like they did the last few times she's been told something and ignores it. I think the writers wanted to bring the "perfect smarter than everyone girl" angle down several pegs. I don't know what universe moving in with a hippie you've known for a month is a remotely good idea, to the point it's almost out of character levels of stupid. Yes, I know it's happened before, but her character was established as having a little more common sense than that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 22, 2013

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think they are going to play this with another "Alexis screws up" angle like they did the last few times she's been told something and ignores it. I think the writers wanted to bring the "perfect smarter than everyone girl" angle down several pegs. I don't know what universe moving in with a hippie you've known for a month is a remotely good idea, to the point it's almost out of character levels of stupid. Yes, I know it's happened before, but her character was established as having a little more common sense than that.

Unfortunately, yeah. They really wrote themselves into a corner with her character over the first couple of seasons, and I guess now they're trying to do some stupid stuff to inject a bit of drama between Alexis and Castle. Without the stupid arcs, Alexis is way more level headed and adult than Castle has ever been.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It really made that movie stand out and it remains my favorite Tarrintino-Rodregiez collaboration, hands down. The first half is a really good crime movie, and the second half is pretty much "Evil Dead II meets Assault on Precinct 13" and it's amazing that through consistent characters, it feels completely seamless.

Of all the words I could think of to describe FDTD, "seamless" would be pretty far down on my list.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Though to be fair she made the point that a lot of the reason for the move is the advantage of sharing the rent. Probably just an excuse, but still.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Honestly, with as many young girls as Castle has seen eviscerated while working with Beckett, Pi seems like a pretty harmless guy for her to co-habitate with.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, Pi's annoying but he is harmless. He's like the human equivalent of a golden retriever. At least he has a personality, which is more than can be said for any of Alexis' other boyfriends.

That was a great episode. We had some quality eye-rolling from Beckett, Castle geeking out (and looking so sad in that last shot - he needs a consoling hug and I will be happy to administer it, as that's just the kind of person I am).

Comedic highlight was the "Senator?"/"THREE kids?" moment. Gotta wonder what kind of serious fiction Castle would write, though...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really enjoyed this one, I always like the theme/quirky episodes the best.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

spidoman posted:

It doesn't really qualify, but Walker, Texas Ranger had several episodes involving flat-out confirmation of paranormal situations. There was a vengeful Indian shaman with real magical power, a kid with psychic powers, a computer that was a full artificial intelligence and several episodes involving past lives and reincarnation. And after those episodes, Walker would go right back to kicking the hell out of more mundane bad guys.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

johntfs posted:

It doesn't really qualify, but Walker, Texas Ranger had several episodes involving flat-out confirmation of paranormal situations. There was a vengeful Indian shaman with real magical power, a kid with psychic powers, a computer that was a full artificial intelligence and several episodes involving past lives and reincarnation. And after those episodes, Walker would go right back to kicking the hell out of more mundane bad guys.

I would argue that some of these don't entirely count due to there being a great deal of people (even more so when WTR was on) who think psychic powers and past lives are real and know piss-all about the realities regarding true AIs. A considerable chunk of the audience may well not have seen those as 'paranormal', much in the same way a Christian might not see a show where people's prayers are quickly and accurately answered as unusual.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Red Queen posted:

Honestly, with as many young girls as Castle has seen eviscerated while working with Beckett, Pi seems like a pretty harmless guy for her to co-habitate with.

That's why he's going to turn out to be 3XK's kid or something.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Pi disappears, but leaves behind a lot of blood. The episode becomes a clip show of Castle coming up with increasingly gruesome scenarios imagining himself as the killer while trying to solve the suspected murder without Pi's body to determine cause of death or if he is in fact dead.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So I just watched the most recent episode (which I loved):

So, about the note thing. I agree it looks like evidence for time travel, but consider this:

The note they found in Dr. Tuvok's (did anyone else notice that casting?) files was unmarked, until Beckett spilled coffee on it, after which it would have had serious coffee stains.

The note that they found a copy of in the killer's possession had red pen marks, but no coffee stains.

Did they magically remove the coffee stains in ~the future~... or did Beckett change history, albeit in some minor way? :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The future note on the projector that Becketts stares at still has the coffe stains on it, they're just rather faint in the first place.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's what I get for not watching in HD, I guess.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I hope in the series finale that guy shows up again and says, "Something's gotta be done about your kids!"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hope in the series finale that guy shows up again and says, "Something's gotta be done about your kids!"

I want the last episode to end with a brief glimpse of old Castle and Beckett having a relaxing retirement when suddenly there's an emergency broadcast telling them that a nuclear missile is headed toward New York. Just before it hits a giant energy shield appears over the city and saves everyone, Kate then looks at him and says "Not a drat word" And he just sits there with the biggest, smuggest grin on his face

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yes, I know it's happened before, but her character was established as having a little more common sense than that.

It's not impossible for smart kids to screw up or make bad decisions. In fact, the constant praising a kid gets for being smart/perfect/infallible can make them arrogant and stubborn when it comes to bad decisions. She's been told since birth by Castle that she's the smart one so of course she's going to think she's knows best. And I never thought she had tons of common sense. She has done dumb stuff all the time, it's just that she's more mature about things than her peers or Castle.

Plus don't forget all the college related drama she had previously. And didn't she lose all her money by loaning/investing in one of her friend's projects and had to resort to sneaking into the apartment to steal food?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2013

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

I want the last episode to end with a brief glimpse of old Castle and Beckett having a relaxing retirement when suddenly there's an emergency broadcast telling them that a nuclear missile is headed toward New York. Just before it hits a giant energy shield appears over the city and saves everyone, Kate then looks at him and says "Not a drat word" And he just sits there with the biggest, smuggest grin on his face

This. This is the series ending that must happen.

Seriously though that was an awesome episode. Note thing at the end was too much seeing as it canonically confirms time travel but meh, it's Castle.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I like that a lot for a series finale.

The idea I had the other day for a series finale is: Beckett finding out she's pregnant, after having gone through some fertility drama. She's happy about the news but looking freaked out, too. Why? The last line is "Castle, the ultrasound says it's triplets." And Castle gets the same "Oh poo poo" look he had in that one episode when it looked like they were going to be abducted by aliens.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Could be twins. Alexis is one of Castle's children too goddammit!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Well, "lives in New York with their three children" implies that the kids are still living at home at that point, which I doubt Alexis would be at that point (but you never know).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Well, "lives in New York with their three children" implies that the kids are still living at home at that point, which I doubt Alexis would be at that point (but you never know).

After Pi signs up for and maxes out a bunch of credit cards in her name, drains her bank accounts, and trashes their apartment, she won't be able to sign a lease anywhere and have to move back home.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

WhyteRyce posted:

After Pi signs up for and maxes out a bunch of credit cards in her name, drains her bank accounts, and trashes their apartment, she won't be able to sign a lease anywhere and have to move back home.

You missed the part where she's arrested and thrown out of school when a brick of Pi's marijuana is found in her apartment.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Awesome episode. I want Terminator: The Kate Beckett Chronicles!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Okay that latest episode was fun but one part really bugged me - In 300 years, not a single person put their hand or shone a torch into that huge loving gaping maw in the chapel? The very first time I saw it, I was all, "Whoa, that's a big loving hole in the wall there. Wonder what's in it."

Also, the room had been undisturbed for 300 years, so why not leave the body right where it was and come back later? Maybe take three of four coins and enjoy your $6million and come back, like, whenever.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know what universe moving in with a hippie you've known for a month is a remotely good idea, to the point it's almost out of character levels of stupid. Yes, I know it's happened before, but her character was established as having a little more common sense than that.
Which is why that storyline is loving infuriating and I hope they drop it as fast as possible. "Love is blind and makes you stupid", with due respect, but not that stupid. Now we've Castle pouting for two or more episodes over a bratty retard child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay that latest episode was fun but one part really bugged me - In 300 years, not a single person put their hand or shone a torch into that huge loving gaping maw in the chapel? The very first time I saw it, I was all, "Whoa, that's a big loving hole in the wall there. Wonder what's in it."

Also, the room had been undisturbed for 300 years, so why not leave the body right where it was and come back later? Maybe take three of four coins and enjoy your $6million and come back, like, whenever.

That was pretty funny. "Hmmmm, there's this big carved piece with absolutely no interesting features whatsoever except for this big gaping mouth. What do we do now?? Hang on, this disk has the latin word for mouth scrambled on it! Let's check the mouth!"

I was wondering about the body thing too, maybe he was worried they'd smell it or something. They hadn't figured out how to open the coffin at that point (same issue as before though, "Good thing we have this ancient riddle to help us figure out that we should try moving the bit that is clearly not completely connected!") so he couldn't have just grabbed some coins.

In any case it was all worth it for the swordfight.

• Locked thread