Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Nice to see you back on tra-holy gently caress what's wrong with your images? Why are they distorted if they weren't before? :psyduck:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
No they don't, now you've got pixel lines of different width. The wires on the title screen are a good example. Some people don't notice/mind it at all, personally I find it grating enough to stop reading.

VVV: I'd leave them as they were if there were no complaints. It's hard to resize 640x400 to 640x480 with a crisp picture. You might use a filter (so everything gets blurred equally), but those bother other people.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 3, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Nearest-neighbor is the safest (i.e. most faithful to original and least likely to bother anyone) method of resizing, as long as you resize by integers in both dimensions. If you don't, it goes to poo poo.
Thanks for taking my complaints to heart, BTW. I love this LP, tried the game myself a few times but lacked the patience for it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 4, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have to admit, this game has a surprising variety of frigid wastelands you can get posted to if you screw up the investigation and live.
It's the USSR, after all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

(dunno why I thought that guy was from Vladivostok)
Accent :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Use PNGs, or at least good quality JPG, that compression looks terrible. Also, any reason why you're leaving window borders instead of just screenshotting the dosbox screen itself?

And thanks for the recap, I really needed it to get up to date.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes, much better. Still has the weird border though.

(and the game's graphic style is actually the main reason the jpeg compression looked awful)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Here's a proper resize of a dosbox direct capture:

Everyone happy with these?
A proper resize is integer-scaled. This is neither. Just look at the text. (just keep it at 2x original resolution)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If you resize a picture of fixed resolution (pretty much anything other than modern 3D games), you should scale by integers, e.g. 320x200 to 640x400, 960x600, etc. Your images are 710x444, which is something like x2.22, non-integer scaling. This results in pixel lines of uneven size, which is very grating in such a low resolution (that's why I told you to look at the text, it's most visible there).

And don't worry, I'll probably start an LP of my own soon, so you'll have a chance to talk poo poo about it :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yep, looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dreggon posted:

What's the deal with the blink and the no blink? Is it just a volume sensor which will be relevant later or something else?
It's a lie detector.

efb.

• Locked thread