Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm also glad to see this back. This is a great little game, but it's blatantly obvious i'd never play it myself, so it'ss awesome to have someone so dedicated turning it inside out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dreggon posted:

Just some extra notes at the end or something, explaining why X needed to be done, would be really helpful. This game is confusing enough already :negative:
He traditionally does this in bonus updates after major scenes are completed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The number of 'hey, you didn't read my mind properly' game overs in this game continues to stun me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Trust me, I know. I was a fanatic for Sierra games back in the day, especially Quest for Glory. I think my first playthrough of QFG1 took me like 25 hours because I kept getting myself into unwinnable dead-man-walking situations, or just hosed myself saving in a situation where I thought for SURE I was safe, but was actually about to die.

Still, looking back and going through it again today, if you were careful there was no reason why you should get into these situations in QFG, except in the VGA version where a single misclick can make your hero waste a game-critical item. Judicious use of the look action, whether it was text parser or eye, alerted you to almost all of the potential deaths in the game. There were not really any 'SURPRISE, YOU'RE DEAD' moments like this game has every 30 seconds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Probably. I'm neither aware of nor interested in the exact travel route. Being allowed to travel abroad was one of the major perks of being a part of the elite, and being able to bring back things that you couldn't purchase in the Soviet Union (legal or otherwise) was the main benefit of traveling.
Misha Glenny actually talks a lot about this in his writing on the subject (his most famous book is McMafia) and to expand upon this a little bit, the drugs's route usually arrived behind the Iron Curtain to Soviet republics with crappy customs enforcement, of which there were a lot. Georgia and Ukraine are two big ones. They'd come from pretty much anywhere that wasn't NATO affiliated, which sometimes required a change of plane and passport in Africa or something. It generally wasn't a big deal to forge throwaway identities for these criminal networks. From there you hopped a truck to the Russian border, where you used credentials that made the guards hesitant to search you too closely like Xander's talking about, and look at that, Bob's your uncle and you've got however many kg of drugs in the country.

People got caught of course, but people also got away with it enough for it to be economical.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

red mammoth posted:

Is there a way to indent the text on the bottom so it lines up with the text on the top?
You can copy a whitespace character from your Character Map and paste that in, and basically hope that the forums don't recognize and strip them.

Other than that you're out of luck.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I presume it's completely possible to simply leave the KGB office without looking for the cigar, right? Which means you're totally able to do a full day of dead-man-walking gameplay because Cut-throat is going to kill you for not knowing that in the evening.

I'm gonna call that another BS dead end because the game still has not really explained why that's significant at all, beyond Cut-throat's mention that Agabekov isn't a fan of cigars. Which you would have had no way of knowing walking into that office, unless my memory's faulty.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Considering how big a part guns have played in this game (read: a very tiny part), I think it's a stretch to think that the writer even had a very clear idea in his head what silenced revolver Cut-throat is carrying. He probably was just like "Silenced revolvers exist right? Okay cool. Silenced revolvers are cool. Cut-throat is cool, so therefore he's going to use a cool weapon."

On an unrelated note, Ensign Expendable needs to post more as his avatar will never not be funny.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not smart enough to make those sorts of jokes, but the beautiful thing about puns is that they exist whether the speaker intended them or not! So in conclusion, dongwater.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm tallying this one as another 'read my mind' death, because holy poo poo how the hell were you supposed to sniff that one out prior to having a gun in your face?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fantastic, this LP is back. This rules.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

What happens if you tell Greenburg you have Protopopov's address? Is that old news to him?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cool. I didn't think we knew it, but I was curious how the game was going to handle that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It looks better because everything was resized proportionally this time. That is likely close to as good as you're gonna make this game look though, yeah. Any further weirdness is likely to be a part of the art style being pretty unique.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The belt on the cooling system was also a bullshit thing to pull. If the game isn't lying about it being hard/impossible to walk around on deck while it's light out, you can't leave the engine room to retrieve the belt after you're underway. So you kind of have to psychically know that the engine will falter in this EXACT WAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Or just have the standard adventure game "take everything that isn't nailed down" habit beaten into your head over the years.
This game has killed Maks on multiple occasions for being a magpie like this.

• Locked thread