Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
About the economic shift in the USSR with Khrushchev I humbly suggest reading Red Plenty. A great book with extremely instructive footnotes about the economic dream of the Soviet 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
I don't get one thing: we were looking for Holliwood because we picked that trail from Golitsin. But did we abandon our main mission, to find out who murdered him?

quote:

A proper show trial did not begin with an arrest and a fabricated accusation -...
These posts are amazing!

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 16, 2013

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Yes, but we knew that Golitsin had been killed by the KGB from the start, right? Golitsin knew he had been hired by somebody in the KGB (Jealous Husband) to investigate Hollywood, said so in his tape. And we suspected from the start that Golitsin died when he tried to find out more about Jealous Husband BEFORE going to Hollywood.
So I guess we are focusing on who helps Hollywood and ignore entirely Jealous Husband?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Furthermore, where could Rukov possibly stash the equipment right in front of the KGB building and have it remain both secure and unnoticed by the security staff?
I suppose that's the limit of running an intelligence operation single-handed.
You really can't stash it at home either, after all it's surely going to be searched. In general, you probably don't want to lug it around yourself. You'd need a support team of sort, doing that for you. Maybe Rukov is a bit too much of a Stakhanov? Beware of glory seeking individualism, comrade.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

ok, dumb question, what spy would head out on a mission like this without testing his equipment at headquarters?
To me the camera sabotage sounds totally believable. I wonder how many intelligence operations have failed because somebody was mad at his/her colleague after a Christmas party gone wrong.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

This is awesome, but also kind of thought-provoking that the game does very little hand-holding but demands near perfection.
You should play this game, because the "nope, you die horribly" mechanic is a bit more interesting than that.
My problem with old lucas arts games was that if you didn't know how to go on you were stuck. Forever. So either you tried combining every item against every other item, or you'd just get a walkthrough.
Here instead you die frequently, and horribly. But when you do die, you usually know what is wrong. I didn't prepare an escape route, I aroused suspicion, I made a bad call. It's a better feedback loop, I think, then standard games.
But it doesn't work perfectly. Take the example of the cocaine you need to flush down the toilet in Chapter 1. There is a very limited time frame where you can do it. And if you don't, the game is unwinnable: Rita will never let you out the torture chamber. In that case, the game just fucks with you.

Also, thank you for this playthrough and thanks for the soviet union descriptions

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
I imagine Rukov reporting back: "I was assaulted by hundreds of anti-social elements bent on economic sabotage. While every bone in my body is broken, their imperialist plan is now foiled!". And getting promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
This game has a checkpoint system in place. But the last express system seems much much cooler.

• Locked thread