Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
This is awesome, but also kind of thought-provoking that the game does very little hand-holding but demands near perfection. The only modern games I can think of that allow for that much foresight are the Hitman series but you can at least strongarm those when they go belly up. Games just don't offer this depth of failure anymore but what was dumbed down first, the games or us?

Also, no ghost dad conversations lately. Are they unavailable/boring/as useless as your uncle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

red mammoth posted:

As for the game's difficulty, it would be interesting to figure out how to remake the game to be more playable while keeping its hard and unforgiving feel. Maybe make it so that you can just jump back to the spot where you really messed up once you get into an unwinnable situation.
The best adventure game marriage I've seen of old-school punishment and new-school playability was The Last Express, which simulates real time as KGB/Conspiracy does, but let you rewind time to any point in the game's three-day timeframe. The player could proactively use it to try different approaches to puzzles, or buy more time to explore and check out all the flavor text - but in the event of a game over, it automatically rewound things to the last point where you could still change events for the better. Whether you bungled a quick time event or made the game unwinnable a day earlier there was no such thing as a doomed save.

Neat game altogether, heavy on period accuracy and political intrigue and Russian folklore and also LPed to completion very recently.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
That was a pretty sweet rescue. Hope the wheelchair express is still taking passengers.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

paragon1 posted:

Edit: Oh right, truth serum. Does it never actually say he injected you?

Don't think it did, but it makes sense it didn't - that would kind of spoil the surprise of injecting him in a correct playthrough. That and I bet it's a mini-obstacle that he won't talk if you don't inject him.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Where did the dead detective that kicked all this off figure into things, again? Also was Cut-throat any particular person in disguise, or just a dude named Cut-throat?

• Locked thread