Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man it is good to see Fox back doing comedy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
This show is seriously getting better with each episode. Either that, or my man-crush on Fox is just reigniting again. :ohdear:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I laughed way too hard the first time they showed the daughter running. Had to rewind it 3 times because I didn't notice the 2 other people running after her :lol:

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

This show is great and each episode is still improving.

"I can't go to prom with you...because you're a horse" hahaha

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

This show is great and each episode is still improving.

"I can't go to prom with you...because you're a horse" hahaha

Am I the only one who thinks that book would totally sell?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
They really need to stop the confessional. It is really bad writing. The worst is when the line could have been integrated into the episode normally.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

They really need to stop the confessional. It is really bad writing. The worst is when the line could have been integrated into the episode normally.

counterpoint: I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE FIVE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO RIDE THE LAMA!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
And the cute dog lives rent free. Dawwww :)

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Hahah oh god I almost reherniated below my sternum laughing at the Rolling Chair bit in the trailer. I haven't seen an episode yet (will soon,) but I had to gif it for you guys. I mean, I almost died just now. :neckbeard: Fantastic.

You spend your time worrying about the worst case scenario, and it actually happens, you've lived it twice. With that I leave you the same way I have every night

for the past 11 years stayinformednewyorknightlynewsisnext

I was excited to discuss a new upcoming comedy with a friend, but I spoke too fast and accidentally called him Michael J Parkinson's. :haw:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
All men are 8.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, was this on tonight? Totally missed it because of Halloween.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zero One posted:

All men are 8.

Apparently. Someone explain to me why an adult male can't get a hotel room in NYC.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
A lot of hotels won't rent to anyone under 24 to begin with. Plus the guy thought he was just looking for a hook up spot. Plus it's a tv comedy

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

fariz posted:

A lot of hotels won't rent to anyone under 24 to begin with.
Is that common in the US ?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Dantes posted:

Is that common in the US ?

From my experience, as long as you have a credit card they can put a hold on, being under 24 isn't a problem. Without a credit card though, it would be an issue.

Getting a rental car if you're under 25 is even more difficult.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I was in that age group, times may have changed.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Every hotel I've stayed at required some form of plastic to get a room for any potential damages or mini bar charges, etc. I have no idea if they had a card or were trying to use it because I dont remember that far back but there you go.

Also, yes. This is a comedy television show, not a documentary. Its plausible even in real life people wouldn't want to rent a hotel room to two teenagers.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
I really didn't like this latest episode. It relied too much on the "series of things going increasingly wrong" narrative. The tent going over the roof was bad enough, but then he also happened to leave his wallet in there? And then they are also locked out, and it starts raining? Better make sure we get all these tropes in a span of 2 minutes!

The 'date' with the aunt and the youngest son was an endearing subplot though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good episode.

"I feel so inspired I want to make an announcement...."
"zzzzzzzzzzzz...."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think last night's episode was the one that killed it for me. Betsy Brandt especially is still excellent in her role, and I have minor affection for all the kid characters, but the Mike/Leigh plot was a total trainwreck and confirmed for me that this show has no interest in being anything other than the corniest, most cliched thing possible.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Yeah, I LOVE MJFox but every scene with Leigh just drags me down. You're a grown loving woman! Buy your own couch!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
the stripper pole scene really tested the limits of patience

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
It feels like this whole family is composed of unrelenting, unrepentant jerks; I just don't like any of them.

I can't help but imagine that after a few days they grew tired of the dog and quietly took it to an animal shelter, where it's next on the list to be put down.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Really? The wife seems cool, the daughter awesome & the youngest hasn't made an effort to mug for the camera. That leaves the oldest, who could fall down an elevator shaft while pretending he's Colin Hanks for all I care.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Really? The wife seems cool, the daughter awesome & the youngest hasn't made an effort to mug for the camera. That leaves the oldest, who could fall down an elevator shaft while pretending he's Colin Hanks for all I care.

Pretty much where I'm at. Old son and sister are the god damned worst. Rest of family and co-workers are p great

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Haha, that was pretty much me and my brother.

Time travel jokes :v:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 15, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Oh hey, it's the guy who looks like Santa and will later be revealed as the real Santa.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Is anybody else even still watching this? I know it's getting hilariously bad ratings and every episode has been really hit-and-miss or just miss, but I can't imagine I'm the only person still kind of toughing it out because Michael J. Fox is just so drat likeable.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Well i watch it too, but only for Michael J. Fox. The rest of the cast is meh. All but the small ginger boy. He makes me laugh like a little child.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dumped it after Christmas. There's nothing really wrong with it, and Fox and Brandt are pretty drat good (I liked the daughter too), but I just didn't give a poo poo about anything that happened to any of them. And his sister was annoying as hell.

Can we make this a thread about Chuck Lorre's Mom instead? That steadily became kind of good, but in a very weird way. It's still really unfunny but plot-wise it deals with super heavy poo poo every week. Janney and Faris are killing it too.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I watch it almost exclusively because of MJF. The sister drives me up the wall but I love Mikey! I'll watch nearly everything hes on. I do tend to watch it a few days later before bed or whatnot, so its not exactly appointment tv.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, same here, Fox is so likeable, while I barely care about any other member, especially the sister.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I kind of liked last week's (?) episode (the one with the beauty pageant). The whole Sochi plotline wasn't that great and it was kind of just generic mother-daughter sitcom plot, but there wasn't anything wrong with it and I thought it showed off the non-Michael cast's ability to at least be generic sitcom family. It's predictable, but kind of refreshingly so.

Wendell Pierce absolutely kills it every week when they give him something to do, though.

e: Looks like Sean Saves The World got the axe, so I guess this is probably about to go the same way.

e2: All that being said, Michael deserves better than this show.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 30, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm watching it. It's a low stakes time killer and I can't resist more Wire alumni on my tv.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

FadingChord posted:

e: Looks like Sean Saves The World got the axe, so I guess this is probably about to go the same way.

Noooo! I was getting into that! The gently caress am I to do for comedy now. God dammit.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Paradox Personified posted:

Noooo! I was getting into that! The gently caress am I to do for comedy now. God dammit.

They halted production after episode #14 (after expanding the order to 18 episodes), so either the last episode ever is on tonight or there's one unaired episode left.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
The Michael J Fox show has been pulled from the schedule. Cancelled?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/05/michael-j-fox-show-canceled/

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

rockinricky posted:

The Michael J Fox show has been pulled from the schedule. Cancelled?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/05/michael-j-fox-show-canceled/

Looks like they're "looking for a spot" to place it in. So yeah, it's basically cancelled. Expect an episode dump of the back half sometime in the summer, probably?

It's interesting that they're doing Hollywood Game Night on Thursdays. It did well enough on Mondays to already be renewed for 10 more episodes, 5 of which have already aired. It makes sense that they can turn it around that fast--it's cheap and can't take more than 90 minutes to film an episode--but at most they only have 5 new episodes left to throw into the Thursday void. Which I guess is about what they need to get through the rest of this season's Community and Parks, but I'd think they'd want to keep some of their successful shows away from the ratings black hole that is CBS on Thursdays.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bown posted:

I dumped it after Christmas. There's nothing really wrong with it, and Fox and Brandt are pretty drat good (I liked the daughter too), but I just didn't give a poo poo about anything that happened to any of them. And his sister was annoying as hell.

Can we make this a thread about Chuck Lorre's Mom instead? That steadily became kind of good, but in a very weird way. It's still really unfunny but plot-wise it deals with super heavy poo poo every week. Janney and Faris are killing it too.

I like Mom as well. Allison Janney's scene talking about when Christie was born was really powerful. I find it funny but it leans more to the drama side if things than most sitcoms.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mom is one episode from the finale and has steadily become something I genuinely look forward to watching, albeit with some pretty unfunny stuff at times. lol remember the show this thread is about again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Binged though the unreleased episodes and enjoyed them. There's a story arc and an upswing in quality. I'll miss this show.

• Locked thread