Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Plenty of shows recycle old cliches and tropes and yet seem fresh and interesting to watch. It's the writing that elevated the show. There are plenty of original shows that have bad writing. If the show continues to have belly laughs, then that's all the hook I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
As I said before, it's really the writing that elevates this show. Yeah, it's nothing that hasn't been done a million times before, but the show still manages to come up with consistent laughs, like the news guy trying to figure out which Michelle to call, or My Dad's Piccolo. I think if they got rid of the confessionals, they'd have a really great show. I get annoyed when I see reviews online, and the complains aren't about the writing, but rather "Oh, it's just a standard sitcom."

Tiggum posted:

No, I knew the family were going to be the main characters, I just thought, given the show's name and the first episode's plot, that it would be more centred around Mike, and less like a lovely version of Modern Family. I haven't watched the third episode yet though, so maybe it gets better?

I'm guessing part of the focus on other characters is likely due to Parkinsons. It's probably tough on him to shoot the show, and so I'm guessing more often than on other shows with an obvious lead (like Frasier or Everybody Loves Ray), they'll go lighter on the Michael J. Fox stories. But he still plays a major role.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

They really need to stop the confessional. It is really bad writing. The worst is when the line could have been integrated into the episode normally.

• Locked thread