Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm favoring Justin in this case (even if he did come off as kind of smug about it). I'm not sure why it didn't occur to any of the green team to just yell out "DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXTRA LEMONGRASS!?!?" in the Thai Vietnamese :downs: cooking challenge.

Edit: I knew I should've double-checked that.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm also on Justin's side here. Why, when virtually everyone else in the tight quarters was using some, would you not even ask? It was mostly just hubris on Travis' part than anything else.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'm favoring Justin in this case (even if he did come off as kind of smug about it). I'm not sure why it didn't occur to any of the green team to just yell out "DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXTRA LEMONGRASS!?!?" in the Thai cooking challenge.

Vietnamese! Damnit Top Chef thread. Stop being like Top Chef.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Green Crayons posted:

1. Patricia should have gone home either of the first two weeks that she was in the bottom. I look forward to her eventual defeat when she isn't on the "good" team.

2. I like Justin well enough, but holy poo poo was he a dick this past episode. "Man, I have a TON of extra lemongrass. I'd be happy to share, but only if they're mind readers and affirmatively ask because I'm not going to just offer that poo poo because <no real justification if you're already willing to give it away>."

3. Michael is a total, uncompromising dick. Nina hating on him is well appreciated. Also, he didn't cook a dish this week. What the hell? That should be an automatic go-the-gently caress-home. To quote my wife: "Just as this isn't Top Scallop, this isn't Top Sous Chef, so cook a loving dish or go home."

4. I'm on the fence about Sara -- she's at times awesome (bashing Travis), at times lame (wanting to not be called out on making poor decisions) -- but I'm glad she didn't get axed because Janine screwed up both the shrimp and the rice, which Nina then jumped in to try to save.

5. So I'm thinking Shirley, Nina, and Carrie are going to be our final three. Shirley might be replaced by Justin, depending on the timing of their respective inevitable "bad" week (that is, whether their off night happens to be a night when other chefs are more off, or they just so happen to present the poorest dish). Shirley obviously has talent, but my goodness it would be rough listening to her all the time (not everything needs to be yelled). Nina is awesome in both talent and laid back personality. Carrie is a bit bland but seems like a nice enough person. Based on my total pleb opinion, I hope Nina wins.

That's all I got. Anyone care to post Last Chance Kitchen updates as we go along? I'm not vested enough to watch the videos, but am curious to know what's what.

:v:

Anyway. LCK spoilers:

Tom gives them the low-hanging-fruit "cook YOUR food! :haw:" challenge. Janine wins.

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

Leif. posted:

"This isn't Top Scallop" will forever be the best quote to come out of this series.

"This is Top Chef, not Top Pussy" is a pretty strong contender. Thanks, Fabio!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Aluminum foil, the shittiest recurring Quickfire.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Aluminum foil challenge. Off to a good start here.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

NOTinuyasha posted:

Aluminum foil challenge. Off to a good start here.

Very Chopped-like, here's some random poo poo, have fun.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Shirley can't contain her gasp about how awful that soup sounds.

edit: Stephanie looking super creepy checking out Lea Michelle. Not that I wouldn't do the same, but still...

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 31, 2013

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ugh what's with celebrities on Top Chef and their stupid dietary requirement?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Makin' some veins.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

What the hell is Tom's costume?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

jscolon2.0 posted:

What the hell is Tom's costume?

I'm wondering the same thing. This is more important than the food.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Shirley is Top Chef. Gonna call it now.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Vietnam Mexico!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nobody went "noooo!" when they found out Michael was gone. :allears:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Last Chance Kitchen Update: Risotto challenge. Michael couldn't find butter and used cream and ended up with mushy risotto. Janine did it mostly right and won.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
My god that was a lovely episode. I liked how the vegan glee person couldn't even name a vegetable they liked.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Dear Andy Cohen, Top Chef is an award winning television program that attempts to showcase people with talent. So, don't be on it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

gret posted:

Ugh what's with celebrities on Top Chef and their stupid dietary requirement?
"I really like the vegan lifestyle."
"I love cheese!"

:what:

Thanks for the LCK updates!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

hal c encandenza posted:

My god that was a lovely episode. I liked how the vegan glee person couldn't even name a vegetable they liked.

Green Crayons posted:

"I really like the vegan lifestyle."
"I love cheese!"

:what:

"I like all vegetables."
"Beets?"
"No."

I have vegan friends and boy do they hate people like this.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

jng2058 posted:

Last Chance Kitchen Update: Risotto challenge. Michael couldn't find butter and used cream and ended up with mushy risotto. Janine did it mostly right and won.
How can you not find butter or a good alternative in the top chef kitchen?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Korak posted:

How can you not find butter or a good alternative in the top chef kitchen?

Is it against the rules to just ask her where she found the butter? Weird choice to make his own.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
Hugh Acheson got in a fantastic burn on his blog.

Hugh Acheson posted:

Padma and Gail have brought their moms. Awwwww. The chefs get split down to groups allied to Gail and groups pro-Padma, and then the moms are tasked with speed shopping for all the ingredients and tools. Nobody grabs the foil-wrapped Hosea in the corner.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I really want to know how much the judges held Gleelet's dietary restrictions in disdain. I think Padma dropped an "I blame you" which she just laughed off, where I think Padma was kind of serious.

And then "showing vegetarian food is more than just (pause) quinoa" (earlier in the episode they had her ask what is this, only to be told quinoa. So she apparently didn't know what it was, or the chefs had a deft enough touch to transform it.)

Whatever the judges felt, I think it is obvious the chefs and editors held her in disdain. I loved the way it was edited to point out how dumb it all was (like the I like all vegetables, but not beets).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Whatever the judges felt, I think it is obvious the chefs and editors held her in disdain. I loved the way it was edited to point out how dumb it all was (like the I like all vegetables, but not beets).

I don't get what was so bad about that, technically not liking beets mean you don't like all vegetables, but that is a petty complaint. That is simply the way most people speak. Also i assume that she told them more, but it was simply edited out.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Really? I actually thought the editors liked Lea. I mean, they showed her making food comments that were more insightful that what we usually get from celebrity judges.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ither posted:

Really? I actually thought the editors liked Lea. I mean, they showed her making food comments that were more insightful that what we usually get from celebrity judges.

I didn't get that at all. To me it seemed like Tom was just feeding her opinions and she agreed.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

"I'm sure it's not disgusting." ~ Famous Last Words

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How freaking good is Nina?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Poque posted:

How freaking good is Nina?

Paul Qui spotted.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

jscolon2.0 posted:

Paul Qui spotted.

I'd be fine with that, especially since this season doesn't seem to have equivalents of Heather, Sarah, or Lindsay.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
I didn't think I could like Nina more, but on top of being a great chef who didn't stand for Michael's poo poo, she goes and reveals the two people she got along with most were the gay guys. Definitely rooting for her. I think a woman is going to take the whole thing this year.

LCK spoiler: Especially since Janine is also holding it down in LCK against the dudes. I don't know if she can defeat 9 or 10 more people and make the finale, but she definitely got eliminated too soon. It was also nice to see Bene's good-natured personality in the latest episode. Even Tom seemed charmed by him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nicholas is such a pill. Even when he's doing well he's insufferable. Good thing he is using this exposure as a springboard to get investors and public interest in his brand of dour philadephian eyerolling.

But the episode was good. No gimmicks aside from the butter restriction.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hugh Acheson is awesome.

He seems to have a penile fascination with funnel cake, though.

Hugh Acheson posted:

Nicholas is frying what looks like dough snakes or breaded penises.

Hugh Acheson posted:

I am not the guy who loves savory veggies in dessert (aside from carrot cake), but this looks like one sweet garden with a fried dough thing next to it. One man’s funnel cake is another man’s churro is another man’s penis-shaped donut.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Forfeit? Bullshit.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Delicious kermit muffins.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Let me deliberately gently caress up any station before the 20 minute mark seems like a good strategy that nobody has figured out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

jscolon2.0 posted:

Forfeit? Bullshit.

Better than him automatically moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

jscolon2.0 posted:

Forfeit? Bullshit.

I'm guessing it doesn't happen - whether that means they just have him cook while sick (a la Angelo) or they find some other way.

• Locked thread