Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Where the gently caress are you from that you've never heard the term Potluck before?

edit: Travis and Patty are hosed. They better hope that Nicholas is back at the house dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
broccolini turn left nooooooo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The teams are almost perfectly split up in the order that I like the contestants.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh good, Worst Team is the worst. One of these schmitties will finally go home.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

What the gently caress with those superdramatic speed cuts?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So why would you let the dude who has been sick and almost didn't make it to the competition run your team?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

ChaosReaper posted:

So why would you let the dude who has been sick and almost didn't make it to the competition run your team?

Because Patty is poo poo, Travis running a team was so hilarious that they named an episode after it, and Brian has immunity and no reason to try.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

jscolon2.0 posted:

Because Patty is poo poo, Travis running a team was so hilarious that they named an episode after it, and Brian has immunity and no reason to try.

I have no idea how Patty made it this far. She makes Robin seem competent.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

jscolon2.0 posted:

It seemed like Brian made the best dish on the team, though.

edit: Hahaha oh god, Hugh. Marry me.

Hugh Acheson posted:

OK, I am back. My “me” time was great. Potluck challenge with team menu collaboration. They have to “band” together. Patty is learning this term “potluck” for the first time. Well Patty, dictionary.com and I are here for you:

pot·luck

[pot-luhk, -luhk] Show IPA

noun

1. food or a meal that happens to be available without special preparation or purchase: to take potluck with a friend.

2. Also called potluck supper, potluck dinner, potluck lunch. a meal, especially for a large group, to which participants bring various foods to be shared.

3. whatever is available or comes one's way: With fluctuating interest rates, homebuyers are learning to take potluck with the banks.

Origin:

1585–95; pot1 + luck

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 14, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
That quickfire was bullshit and the winner was just luck of the draw. Brian even knew it with his 'uh, well thanks everyone who cooked this' remark. Glad patty is gone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They tricked me with thinking the fish was going to be bad after Travis didn't actually smell it before buying it. It wasn't cooked well but it seemed ok as a product.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I gained some small respect for Travis for ignoring the demands of Tsar Nicholas. I really enjoyed the episode. Kermit came across as a human being unlike Lea Michele and the musical chairs was contained to the quickfire.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

shadow puppet of a posted:

I really enjoyed the episode. Kermit came across as a human being unlike Lea Michele and the musical chairs was contained to the quickfire.

I am not into jazz and had no idea (still really do not) who he is, but I agree on all fronts he came off as not only a human being but a likable guy who loves food. The judges appeared to really like the setting and dinner as well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Kermit's appearance made this episode feel especially like some kind of Treme crossover. If you're not watching Treme, you should; it's even got a chef story arc that features Tom, Emeril, Eric Ripert, and David Chang. I'm pretty sure Bourdain is either a writer or consultant for those scenes.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Bourdain is a writer for that part of the show.

edit: Not only did they have Kermit, they had the actual dj Davis

Rapsey fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 16, 2013

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Let me deliberately gently caress up any station before the 20 minute mark seems like a good strategy that nobody has figured out.

Till karma causes you to come back around to a station you hosed up.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ahaha did anyone hear Nina tell someone to "suck a dick" during the teaser for next week? Can you say that on TV now, or did someone miss an edit?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ghostnuke posted:

Ahaha did anyone hear Nina tell someone to "suck a dick" during the teaser for next week? Can you say that on TV now, or did someone miss an edit?

According to Patton oswalt, if she meant in her heart; "suck a jerk", it would be fine for cable. However if she was thinking at the time of the anatomical incarnation of a dick, it would not be allowed.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Chinese Mexican hot sauce. Yeah, Shirley, go and China Poblano their poo poo up.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Holy crap, Dr. John is hilarious. Hot sauce needs tangosity. If anyone needed subtitles it's this guy.
Hip-tang

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tomapot posted:

Holy crap, Dr. John is hilarious. Hot sauce needs tangosity. If anyone needed subtitles it's this guy.
Hip-tang

None of them had any idea what he was saying and it was glorious.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion

tomapot posted:

Hip-tang

I was about to comment that the guy is pretty much a human Dr. Teeth, until I learned after a quick Google search that Dr. Teeth was actually based off him. God, I'm ignorant.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I was distracted and missed the end of the commercials. Was that a Dunkin Donuts + Keurig product placement whatever scene that I missed?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

NOTinuyasha posted:

I was distracted and missed the end of the commercials. Was that a Dunkin Donuts + Keurig product placement whatever scene that I missed?

yes, it was impressively un-subtle

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

amaranthine posted:

yes, it was impressively un-subtle

Even by Top Chef standards? Man I missed the best part :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Storebought noodles not disastrous? Everything I know about Top Chef is a lie!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

J-Man X posted:

I was about to comment that the guy is pretty much a human Dr. Teeth, until I learned after a quick Google search that Dr. Teeth was actually based off him. God, I'm ignorant.

Yup, and animal is based on Mick Fleetwood

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I want Justin to stay, solely because it's Padma pushing hardest against him.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion

tomapot posted:

Yup, and animal is based on Mick Fleetwood

It all makes sense now!

Not really sure if cutting Louis was the right decision based off of tonight's menu (I was thinking Justin would have been eliminated), but the guy had been turning in pretty mediocre dishes throughout the season.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Dr. John should judge every quick fire. That was awesome. If you don't know how to bring the hip tang, you're probably a bad chef.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
It's so nice to have a season where no one is extra annoying and they all seem to get along okay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That was a great episode, and the season felt like it was kinda twiddling its thumbs until just now. There are still a couple more hangers-on that need to go, but I'm really looking forward to the insane quality of the second half if they had a hard time deciding on a dish to send home with eleven chefs left.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

They sure look ripe to me.

Chicolini posted:

It's so nice to have a season where no one is extra annoying and they all seem to get along okay.

Kinda true, but I'm still not loving anyone either. If any season could use a Carla, this is it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

TedKoppel posted:

Kinda true, but I'm still not loving anyone either. If any season could use a Carla, this is it.

Team Shirley

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TedKoppel posted:

How can you not love Carrie and her real-life anime eyes :sparkles:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm totally loving Brian, Nina, and Shirley. Everybody else I merely like, except for Fake-50's Cauc-Asian Airport Food.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

I want Justin to stay, solely because it's Padma pushing hardest against him.
YUUUP.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm totally loving Brian, Nina, and Shirley. Everybody else I merely like, except for Fake-50's Cauc-Asian Airport Food.
A good top three. I might switch out Brian for Carlos, but that's just because I think Carlos comes across as a pretty cool dude.

Stephanie has some serious self-confidence issues. Every time she talks about what she's thinking about doing, what she is doing, or what she did, it's always followed up with some iteration of "but I'm really bad at pretty much life." It becomes pretty tiresome to hear, but I hope she can get over whatever it is creating her crushing sense of self-doubt for her own sake. Like -- you're a pretty great chef: you're on TC, you won a challenge, and you haven't gone home yet! Have faith in yourself.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Green Crayons posted:

Stephanie has some serious self-confidence issues. Every time she talks about what she's thinking about doing, what she is doing, or what she did, it's always followed up with some iteration of "but I'm really bad at pretty much life." It becomes pretty tiresome to hear, but I hope she can get over whatever it is creating her crushing sense of self-doubt for her own sake. Like -- you're a pretty great chef: you're on TC, you won a challenge, and you haven't gone home yet! Have faith in yourself.

To be fair, her roommate won last season, while she went out on during the prelims. That would mess with anyone.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like Justin, Brian and Carrie. But I don't pay a whole lot of attention to skill, so other than Nina, I have no idea who the 'best' are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Top 4 feels like Nina, Shirley, Justin, Carrie. I think Stephanie is a potential dark horse if she can quit hating on herself so hard.

Louis was talked up a lot but was pretty unimpressive and I thought he'd be gone earlier than he was, but who knows, maybe he'll go gangbusters on Last Chance Kitchen.

• Locked thread