Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Final four: Shirley, Carrie, Brian, Travis.

Gotta root for Carrie to win it cause she's from Seattle and kinda looks like my sis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Poque posted:

Oh hell yes, Slurping Turtle is amazing. Early rooting interest for me!

Me too. It's fun when you're already familiar with a chef's cooking style.

Garlic Ramen with Clams and Mussels

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
From my wife, in response to "who do you like this year?":

"I know who I DON'T like: the Australian, the girl from last season, the douchebag, the guy who only dates Asians"

so, there's that. Happy new Top Chef season everyone. I kind of like the TC:Masters contestants watching the judges.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish Curtis Stone or even Canadian Tom would replace Tom Colicchio full time.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Is it just me or does this season look really weak when it comes to raw talent and interesting, strong personalities?

Also, why is every hot Australian girl named Janine?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

OhYeah posted:

Is it just me or does this season look really weak when it comes to raw talent and interesting, strong personalities?

Also, why is every hot Australian girl named Janine?

Other than the guy with the Michelin star, yeah. He didn't even have that good of a showing. Its hard to get to know them when there are this many personalities. Once the herd gets thinned a little the personalities come out.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Athenry posted:

Other than the guy with the Michelin star, yeah. He didn't even have that good of a showing. Its hard to get to know them when there are this many personalities. Once the herd gets thinned a little the personalities come out.

I guess you're right. I can't still shake off the feeling that with every passing season of Hell's Kitchen/Top Chef/whateverchef the contestants get weaker, more bland and forgettable. Maybe I'm being too harsh. But you know even Masterchef's last season was kind of "meh".

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OhYeah posted:

I guess you're right. I can't still shake off the feeling that with every passing season of Hell's Kitchen/Top Chef/whateverchef the contestants get weaker, more bland and forgettable. Maybe I'm being too harsh. But you know even Masterchef's last season was kind of "meh".

Who won Masterchef anyway? I stopped watching when Chrissy kept not getting eliminated.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

OhYeah posted:

This is pretty bizarre considering the dearth of talent in the early seasons.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

uranus posted:

Who won Masterchef anyway? I stopped watching when Chrissy kept not getting eliminated.

This is a good question because I did the same thing but am too lazy to look it up.

Aha, looks like Luca won.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Poque posted:

I wish Curtis Stone or even Canadian Tom would replace Tom Colicchio full time.

Oh, how I wish for Tom Colicchio to be gone! He is an annoying bastard.

I have no idea who to root for. Hopefully it sorts itself out in the next few episodes!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Naet posted:

This is pretty bizarre considering the dearth of talent in the early seasons.

Season 2 was a bit of a trainwreck.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Propaganda Machine posted:

Season 2 was a bit of a trainwreck.

Speaking of which, Ilan has a show on Esquire network now called Knife Fight and it is predictably douchey and terrible. Basically a 30 min episode in the style of an Elimination Challenge (cook at least two dishes using these 3 ingredients) between two semi well known chefs each week. It's just trying so aggressively hard to be cool and edgy that it saps any interest out of the competition.

Good news is he has an even douchier friend as his "Master of Ceremonies".

I would say only watch it if you are desperate to see CJ or Nyesha again, as they appear as challengers in separate episodes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Aha, looks like Luca won.

The Luca v Natasha finale was actually pretty good, in no small part because Krissy had finally been booted in the previous episode.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
That's just bad writing, really. I'm sure Chrissy is a fine person IRL, but when you make someone into a villain like that you're not supposed to keep them to the final three.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

uranus posted:

That's just bad writing, really. I'm sure Chrissy is a fine person IRL, but when you make someone into a villain like that you're not supposed to keep them to the final three.

Fine people don't post things like 'NBA = Niggers Bouncing Around' on twitter.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

smg77 posted:

Fine people don't post things like 'NBA = Niggers Bouncing Around' on twitter.

:stonklol:

My mistake I guess.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Palooka posted:

Speaking of which, Ilan has a show on Esquire network now called Knife Fight and it is predictably douchey and terrible. Basically a 30 min episode in the style of an Elimination Challenge (cook at least two dishes using these 3 ingredients) between two semi well known chefs each week. It's just trying so aggressively hard to be cool and edgy that it saps any interest out of the competition.

Good news is he has an even douchier friend as his "Master of Ceremonies".

I would say only watch it if you are desperate to see CJ or Nyesha again, as they appear as challengers in separate episodes.

I haven't watched S2 in a long time, but Ilan always been so uncharismatic? Watching his Cook Like a Man video on searing meat was painful, with his inability to look at the camera and awkward groping of the steak while muttering things like "You just gotta... gotta leave it alone..."

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually really like the concept behind Knife Fight, but Ilan is a TERRIBLE host (if you listen to him, he's awkward and rarely has anything interesting to say, just simple things like "this is awesome" or "this is so good") and his MC has to be one of the worst human beings in the history of the world.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap, that dude is Pork Jesus 2.0.

edit: I'm immediately cheering for the Iowa girl. You go, Iowa Girl.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I wonder how many times we're going to hear about that dude's cancer.

It's a Top Chef tradition.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
YAY IOWA GIRL!

The town she grew up in, on the very northern edge of Iowa, had 109 people as of the 2010 Census.

That's not a typo. 109.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The commercials they put previous contestants in get worse and worse every season.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You go Carrie!

Yeah, she's my early pick for this season. I also like tall handsome rear end in a top hat guy on the Blue team.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Yoshifan823 posted:

You go Carrie!

Yeah, she's my early pick for this season. I also like tall handsome rear end in a top hat guy on the Blue team.

Good news!

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Later, Pretty Boy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sure know how to pick 'em, I guess.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well I'm glad that one noxious personality is out of the main show. Hopefully next to leave is Michael Sichel, but I imagine he'll be around for a while. And after him, hopefully we lose Nicholas and his massive complex about being friends with Jason.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
While it does seem like Jason is a huge douche. His restaurant, Ela, is quite awesome.

It doesn't seem like there are any real frontrunners, or even any super interesting contestants this year. But I am going to New Orleans for a week in December, so I'm excited to see a little bit of the city's food culture on display.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Aside from Bene bitching about not taking enough responsibility, there wasn't any of the major personality meltdowns I've come to expect from early team challenges. Even 'surfer boy' took enough personal responsibility for making soggy rolls. I just can't wait for Patricia to go. If there's one thing I can't stand it's whiny contestants who can't make good food.

Goldmansack fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 11, 2013

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really didn't think we'd see Jason leave so soon. It's kind of a shame, I have a feeling that he's actually an amazing cook that just made a bad decision, while others are just worse than him and got lucky they didn't gently caress up as much. Ah well, what can you expect, it is Top Chef after all

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Didn't really care for Jason, but Bene was tons worse in that episode. Also New Orleans Michael is riding on the jackass train.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I was hoping that they wouldn't keep on with the contestants in the stew room getting a chance to watch the judges talk about things before calling them in to Judge's Table. It feels mean and awkward, since someone with a crappy dish can't defend themselves from the criticism while the others get to sit around and watch them squirm. That, and it takes away the small suspense that comes with knowing most of the time the winners are called in first, but every so often...

VVV Edit: Okay, that makes more sense. Assuming the judges took the time to say something about every dish, and they only left discussion of the top/bottom in for the broadcast.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 11, 2013

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Simon Draskovic posted:

I was hoping that they wouldn't keep on with the contestants in the stew room getting a chance to watch the judges talk about things before calling them in to Judge's Table. It feels mean and awkward, since someone with a crappy dish can't defend themselves from the criticism while the others get to sit around and watch them squirm. That, and it takes away the small suspense that comes with knowing most of the time the winners are called in first, but every so often...

I think on the whole it's probably a good thing, because in the past if you weren't in the top or bottom three, you got absolutely no feedback or criticism on your dishes and what you needed to work on. I think it's something the contestants grumbled about in the past, where they'd be in the middle of the pack all season, know nothing about what the judges thought, and then would get surprised with "ALL SEASON YOU'VE HAD X PROBLEM WHY HAVEN'T YOU FIXED IT!?"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Awww yeah, all four of my picks were on the top two teams, and two out of the top three in the quickfire were also my picks. Carrie is looking like a good choice for winner!

PS: if anyone else without tv knows where to find the show that I don't have to wait a day for it to show up, pm me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

How the hell did Patty not go home?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

TheChad posted:

I never get my roux dark enough. :(

My grandmother, near her end times, would make roux without fat by request by just browning it in the oven.

The System
Aug 7, 2006

Goldmansack posted:

Aside from Bene bitching about not taking enough responsibility, there wasn't any of the major personality meltdowns I've come to expect from early team challenges. Even 'surfer boy' took enough personal responsibility for making soggy rolls. I just can't wait for Patricia to go. If there's one thing I can't stand it's whiny contestants who can't make good food.

LTBS posted:

Didn't really care for Jason, but Bene was tons worse in that episode. Also New Orleans Michael is riding on the jackass train.

And I was wondering why his teammates were so dismissive towards Bene while they planned a menu. He mentions they could make a seafood po-boy and Justin gives a look of incredulous disgust. He tries again with a sloppy joe and the rest of the group talks over him like he isn't even there. Janine articulates why she respects her other three teammates, but Janine has nothing at all to say about Bene.

I don't get it. Bene was just on Top Chef Masters as Odette Fada's sous chef. He has a respectable resume. Why did his teammates treat him like an unskilled novice that they had to give busywork to so he'd stay out of trouble?

I admit one could also ask, "Why did he accept such treatment?" Hopefully, he won't capitulate so readily next time he has to stand up for himself.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The System posted:

And I was wondering why his teammates were so dismissive towards Bene while they planned a menu. He mentions they could make a seafood po-boy and Justin gives a look of incredulous disgust. He tries again with a sloppy joe and the rest of the group talks over him like he isn't even there. Janine articulates why she respects her other three teammates, but Janine has nothing at all to say about Bene.

I don't get it. Bene was just on Top Chef Masters as Odette Fada's sous chef. He has a respectable resume. Why did his teammates treat him like an unskilled novice that they had to give busywork to so he'd stay out of trouble?

I admit one could also ask, "Why did he accept such treatment?" Hopefully, he won't capitulate so readily next time he has to stand up for himself.

Another question one could ask is: why did they edit the footage to tell that story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The System posted:

I think its the old "Cagot" system of discrimination against catering chefs. Once a caterer, always a caterer. Bene probably brought the scorn upon himself by looking directly into the eyes of the restauranteurs or speaking at a volume above a quiet whisper in the presence of his fixed-locale betters.

• Locked thread