Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Pretty strange to see Colicchio on "All In with Chris Hayes" tonight talking about his work with Food Policy Action. I'm so used to hating him and his big fat head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The triumphant return of foam to Top Chef.

edit: The less triumphant return of bacon jam to Top Chef.

edit: Wow, I totally got the order wrong on that.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 12, 2013

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Mmm, Justin cooks with squirrel! My faaavrit.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

So we're agreed from that preview that Nicholas is totally safe, right?

He totally won. Seriously, I like Nicholas a lot but he's heading to a Jen Carroll/Richard Blais style burnout if he keeps stressing like this.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Noo, the first of my picks is eliminated. Who won in last chance?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Am I the only one sad to see Travis go? He kind of grew on me on the last few episodes. He began to produce better food and he has a really charming, a bit awkard but very likable personality. I also think that his FOH service was the best that I've seen so far in Top Chef. He didn't do anything special, but he was just completely right for the part.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

uranus posted:

Noo, the first of my picks is eliminated. Who won in last chance?

You can't just watch it online? Using the Media Hint extension, I can access the stream from Sweden, so it should be fine from wherever, really.

Anyway, Louis was the winner in LCK this week.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am curious, how do you make good tasting food using an ingredient you don't like? For example the coffee quickfire, surely there were some chefs there shuddering at the thought of having to use coffee, but still wanting to win. Or do you actually need to like all forms of food if you want to be any kind of good chef?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

OhYeah posted:

Am I the only one sad to see Travis go? He kind of grew on me on the last few episodes. He began to produce better food and he has a really charming, a bit awkard but very likable personality. I also think that his FOH service was the best that I've seen so far in Top Chef. He didn't do anything special, but he was just completely right for the part.

Yes, I've warmed up to him as well. After all, there was only one episode he really sucked in (when he pretended to be the king of Vietnamese cuisine or whatever it was), and in retrospect that might have simply been some malicious editing there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oasx posted:

I am curious, how do you make good tasting food using an ingredient you don't like? For example the coffee quickfire, surely there were some chefs there shuddering at the thought of having to use coffee, but still wanting to win. Or do you actually need to like all forms of food if you want to be any kind of good chef?

I feel like the less confident ones made desserts. Coffee plus a lot of sugar and milk is pretty universal.

In general, yeah, you are probably not going to win a challenge using an ingredient you hate the taste of.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I was sad to see Travis go too. He's one of the few people who actually accepted the responsibilities of FOH and tried to be as thorough and organized as possible. He also matched his shirt/tie with the team's purple apron, and that's awesome. I was honestly surprised that he left instead of Justin because it didn't seem like they actually had many compliments for Justin's dish.

I'm getting annoyed with the judges' inconsistencies in telling chefs when or when they shouldn't remove a bad component. They criticized Sarah for not using the broken mascarpone last week, then went as far to say that Travis shouldn't have sent out the biscuits. It's not like he was going to send out a plate full of gravy with some jam on the side.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Speed Crazy posted:

I was honestly surprised that he left instead of Justin because it didn't seem like they actually had many compliments for Justin's dish.

Having a raw biscuit seems like a much bigger mistake than not putting enough sauce on a dish.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you gently caress up a major component of your dish, it doesn't matter what the judges say. Include it or not, you still didn't do great and there isn't some magic solution.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I was thinking about it, and as an armchair cheftestant I think I would have cut up and fried the biscuits. I'm not sure if that would have worked, but adding crispy surface area would have helped.

Sad to see Travis go. Also, who the hell is Nicholas, where did he come from, and why is he winning so much?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

"Best thing I ever put in my mouth." ~ spoken like a kid in his first week of college.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Brian has made the biggest turn in Top Chef history from fodder to an actual contender. The past 3-4 weeks he has be absolutely killing it and I think he might have an actual shot to win the whole thing (Nina is obviously still the favorite).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Firebatgyro posted:

Brian has made the biggest turn in Top Chef history from fodder to an actual contender. The past 3-4 weeks he has be absolutely killing it and I think he might have an actual shot to win the whole thing (Nina is obviously still the favorite).

Mike Isabella. But yes, Brian absolutely has turned it on lately.

And Shirley continues to beast mode. I think the rumors that she's no longer executive chef at her restaurant are the good kind of rumors.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Carlos/Nicholas, whoever you side with, isn't there some unspoken rule that you do not take up an oven for warming plates. I get that if you insist on a piece of equipment, but it is being used to make someone else's dish, then you are SOL. But, plates?

I am not a fan of Nicholas, I thought his sob story about gnocchi was just that--a emotional plea for points, ignoring the cooking. "Hey food and wine magazine" (I know Dana was not at the judges table) here is a dish my child likes. She also likes Heinz ketchup sauce all over her fries, but hear me out...

(Including Nina, i am pretty sure if you ever get to serve Tom Collichio a dish, if you say gnocchi, you are 80% to a win.) Nicholas is passive aggressive and whiny. Brian can cook, but I do not like how he has been edited. Definitely a fan of Shirley. Still don't really like that Stephanie I-am-so-insecure-pity-me Cmar is on her second go round, when there are probably thousands of other qualified chefs that should have gotten her spot. I don't really like Carlos, but feel he got a poo poo edit last episode. He was noticeably upset about what the room threw at him during judges table. He took no pride in being there, because the room felt like he was trying to sabotage or what not. That made me like him more, but he doesn't have the skills to win it.

JD Bucks 7 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 19, 2013

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
After watching the latest LCK (no spoilers unless you're way behind), I think the worst thing about getting eliminated is being stuck in the LCK peanut gallery with Michael for the rest of the season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Carlos/Nicholas, whoever you side with, isn't there some unspoken rule that you do not take up an oven for warming plates. I get that if you insist on a piece of equipment, but it is being used to make someone else's dish, then you are SOL. But, plates?

I am not a fan of Nicholas, I thought his sob story about gnocchi was just that--a emotional plea for points, ignoring the cooking. "Hey food and wine magazine" (I know Dana was not at the judges table) here is a dish my child likes. She also likes Heinz ketchup sauce all over her fries, but hear me out...

(Including Nina, i am pretty sure if you ever get to serve Tom Collichio a dish, if you say gnocchi, you are 80% to a win.) Nicholas is passive aggressive and whiny. Brian can cook, but I do not like how he has been edited. Definitely a fan of Shirley. Still don't really like that Stephanie I-am-so-insecure-pity-me Cmar is on her second go round, when there are probably thousands of other qualified chefs that should have gotten her spot. I don't really like Carlos, but feel he got a poo poo edit last episode. He was noticeably upset about what the room threw at him during judges table. He took no pride in being there, because the room felt like he was trying to sabotage or what not. That made me like him more, but he doesn't have the skills to win it.

It's a loving contest show. If you need an oven, claim an oven. If he just decided to prep the fish and not say anything until he needed the oven, it's his fault for being stupid.

The son story thing is kind if a dumb thing to harp on since it was basically the theme of the challenge.

And saying "Stephanie is on her second go round" is slightly misleading considering she was eliminated in an unexpected soup quick fire before the show even really started.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I'm going to spoiler this because I'm not sure, but in one of the early confessionals this episode they showed Nina with a dramatically different hairstyle. Like the kind where it's been 6 months and they've come back to film more content (like the finale). I think we'll have a female top chef this season, because Nicholas and Carlos both seem that they could fall apart at any second. And Brian has spent way too much time in the middle of the pack (along with Stephanie) to make me confident that he could take it.

Good riddance to Justin. Dude was always talking up how great he was and it seemed like he had some pent up aggression just simmering under the surface. Then he's all "I've been in the bottom 4 times, I don't understand why I keep ending up there. :geno:"

Spoilers for LCK: Despite his closing words about being a better cook than everybody else and that he was going to wipe the floor with everyone in LCK, Louis beat him out.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've never been so disappointed with a season of Top Chef.... usually, even if the season isn't that great, there's always one or two chefs that I can really root for, which makes it somewhat interesting. This season, I feel absolutely nothing for all of the contestants. I don't even look forward to the show like I usually do, and I missed a few episodes and didn't even bother to catch up. These people are blander than Justin's food :(

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Duro posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've never been so disappointed with a season of Top Chef.... usually, even if the season isn't that great, there's always one or two chefs that I can really root for, which makes it somewhat interesting. This season, I feel absolutely nothing for all of the contestants. I don't even look forward to the show like I usually do, and I missed a few episodes and didn't even bother to catch up. These people are blander than Justin's food :(

I guess you should probably try watching Hell's Kitchen. Might be more to your taste.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

uranus posted:

I guess you should probably try watching Hell's Kitchen. Might be more to your taste.

Yeah, that's exactly what I should do and it's exactly what I was talking about :rolleyes: . These chefs stink, have no personality, and haven't been putting out amazing dishes. The challenges have also been extremely boring. If you want to argue that this is a good season, be my guest. I'm ready to hear your arguments.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dude if you can't get behind Shirley I think the problem is on your end.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Duro posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I should do and it's exactly what I was talking about :rolleyes: . These chefs stink, have no personality, and haven't been putting out amazing dishes. The challenges have also been extremely boring. If you want to argue that this is a good season, be my guest. I'm ready to hear your arguments.

Well I mean you said "haven't been putting out amazing dishes" despite the judges outright stating that, in one particular episode, they had the best overall quality of any episode in the history of the show so, uh

You're certainly allowed to dislike the show, but please don't say things that are empirically false

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

amaranthine posted:

Well I mean you said "haven't been putting out amazing dishes" despite the judges outright stating that, in one particular episode, they had the best overall quality of any episode in the history of the show so, uh

Well he has skipped some episodes so...

Anyways, Shirley is great. Nicholas is passive aggressive and a little broody but he makes good food. Nina was gangbusters up until these last two episodes. I mean, sure, theres no accounting for taste I guess, but I haven't had trouble finding people to root for. Brian's come from behind run of victories are fun to watch.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Yeah some of the episodes are boring (serving cafeteria food isn't interesting and never will be), but what can you really expect after 11 years of the same format? I think we're all kind of just sticking around due to momentum by now.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Right. It seems like this season has had less wacky challenges and curves for the chefs, which means we don't really see how they react in those situations. They're told to cook varying but relatively normal things in varying but relatively normal kitchens, they do that, then the show ends. I think that's why this season seems odd to me. The contestants aren't much different than most other groups. They're just being asked to do fairly boring/non-adventurous things.

I'm not necessarily arguing for gimmicks, but the show itself hasn't been creative this season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like the cafeteria challenge as a 'make the chefs sweat balls' showcase, a la Nina with the corn and the housewife blender and Shirley winning with what-the-gently caress-am-I-gonna-do-with-a-pizza-oven. I'm still liking Shirley, Nina, and Brian as my top three, but I'm warming up to Nicholas and now that Justin's gone I'm pretty happy with the entire slate of cheftestants remaining. I don't think we've seen a concentration of talent like this since season 6.

Besides, Duro's a big enough troll that some other goon paid :10bux: just to make sure the rest of us knew.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

amaranthine posted:

You're certainly allowed to dislike the show, but please don't say things that are empirically false

Yeah, just like every Ramsey episode is "the most amazing"

Of course they're going to hype up this season's food as the best ever. That's what the entertainment industry does, it constantly tries to promote the newest project as the best ever.

I think that watching UK's "Masterchef: The Professionals" skewed my perspective a bit on Top Chef. Obviously there's no "reality tv" aspect to it, but it's just straight up cooking classic dishes for the entirety of the show with a few challenges thrown in here and there. When you compare the quality of the food prepared on that show, it makes Top Chef look like Hell's Kitchen....

I've been watching Top Chef from the beginning, and I'm sure as hell not going to give up on it. I'm just disappointed with this season, so I ranted in the thread dedicated to the season. I don't see what the big deal is and why some of you feel the need to defend its honour

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Propaganda Machine posted:

I like the cafeteria challenge as a 'make the chefs sweat balls' showcase, a la Nina with the corn and the housewife blender and Shirley winning with what-the-gently caress-am-I-gonna-do-with-a-pizza-oven. I'm still liking Shirley, Nina, and Brian as my top three, but I'm warming up to Nicholas and now that Justin's gone I'm pretty happy with the entire slate of cheftestants remaining. I don't think we've seen a concentration of talent like this since season 6.

Besides, Duro's a big enough troll that some other goon paid :10bux: just to make sure the rest of us knew.

Shirley is cool, and she really did bounce back amazingly from the pizza oven debacle

BTW, my title comes from an argument in the hockey thread of SAS. If you can find evidence of me being a troll elsewhere, be my guest

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I agree with this season being dull. And I don't mean it needs gimmicks. I hated that stupid season with the bikes and the skis and all that poo poo.

But I miss the weird chef. Nina obviously stands out as probably the best chef technically. Shirley and Brian also seem very proficient. But they all make boring food. Where are the experimenters? There's no Hung, or Blaise, or Voltaggios. Or even Marcel, Angelo, or rear end in a top hat Stephen.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I was quite fond of arsehole Stephen. He was at least, entertaining.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The Nicholas/Carlos rivalry is building toward a stabbing.

edit: Shirley beast mode continues.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 2, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think John Besh just referred to Brian as "Brendon".

Am I the only one who finds Besh incredibly off-putting?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
NO

season ruined

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
last chance kitchen:

Challenge is incorporating broccoli since Carrie's broccoli a couple eps ago was terrible. She handmade broccoli ravioli, he made salmon and crispy broccoli. Louis wins.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jacque Pepin! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Welp. :( Carrie was my favorite.

• Locked thread