Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Top Chef goes to the Crescent City! Jazz! Beads! King cakes! That roux isn't dark enough!

For real, though, people gonna get told their roux's not dark enough.

Judges Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Hugh Acheson, and Emeril Lagasse are back. It's New Orleans, so I'm assuming Emeril will be around a lot.

The Contestants

Aaron Cuschieri, 29 – Chicago, IL
Executive Chef, Slurping Turtle

Benedetto Bartolotta, 27 – New York, NY
Owner, Indulge by Bene

Bret Pelaggi, 34 – Miami, FL
Recently moved to Miami, doesn't appear to be currently employed. As far as I can tell, his most recent job was chef de cuisine at Chiara Bistro.

Brian Huskey, 32 – Los Angeles, CA
R&D chef for Ricardo Zarate, most recently involved in opening Paiche

Carlos Gaytan, 42 – Chicago, IL
Owner/executive chef, Mexique

Carrie Mashaney, 35 – Seattle, WA
Chef de Cuisine, Aragona. The restaurant's not actually open yet, and they don't appear to have set up a website yet.

Janine Booth, 25 – New York, NY
Trying to open a restaurant later this year. Used to work with Jeff from season 5.

Jason Cichonski, 27 – Philadelphia, PA
Chef/owner, Ela

Justin Devillier – New Orleans, LA
Chef/owner, La Petite Grocery

Louis Maldonado, 32 – Healdsburg, CA
Executive chef, Spoonbar and Pizzando

Michael Sichel – New Orleans, LA
Executive Chef, Galatoire's Restaurant

Nicholas Elmi, 32 – Philadelphia, PA
Chef/owner, Laurel, opening planned for November

Nina Compton, 34 – Miami, FL
Chef de cuisine, Scarpetta Miami at Fontainebleau

Patricia Vega, 29 – New York, NY
Sous chef, Fishtail by David Burke

Ramon Bojorquez, 31 – San Diego, CA
Sous chef, Nine-Ten

Sara Johannes – Minneapolis, MN
Executive chef, Shoyu at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport

Shirley Chung, 36 – Fremont, CA
Former executive chef of China Poblano. No mention of current employment.

Stephanie Cmar, 28 – Boston, MA
Sous Chef, No. 9 Park. Returning to Top Chef after being eliminated in season 10's qualifiers.

Travis Masar, 27 – La Junta, CO
His bio says he's an executive chef, but nobody's saying where.

Last Chance Kitchen

Introduced in Season 9, Last Chance Kitchen is a sort of losers bracket web series. After each episode airs, an LCK webisode goes up on Bravo's site. The chef or chefs eliminated from the main series that week compete head-to-head against last week's LCK winner for a chance to get back on the show. Each week's is a different quickfire-ish challenge with Tom as the lone judge. The winner returns to the main competition during the semifinals. Even if you don't love the idea of giving eliminated chefs a second chance, the challenges are usually straightforward and engaging.

Padma's Picks
In this new webseries, Ten New Orleans chefs competed for a spot in the main series. As the name hints, Padma was the sole judge. If you weren't paying much attention to the faces in this post, there might still be some suspense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
:siren:Skip this post if you're not caught up:siren:

The Contestants

(Eliminated chefs are greyed out.)

Wikipedia-style Progress Chart

What Went Wrong
  • Ramon - Ice cubes don't belong in dashi
  • Jason - Bad summer rolls made worse by rolling in advance
  • Aaron - Salty fried kale
  • Bret - Didn't taste his seasoning blend
  • Janine - Disappointing fried shrimp
  • Michael - Worst risotto balls of the night
  • Bene - Sad steamed vegetables
  • Patty - Watermelon salad needed heat
  • Louis - Popcorn?!
  • Sara - Aggressively bad management plus a bad, incomplete dessert course

Last Chance Kitchen

Current champ: :chef: Louis :chef:
  • Janine beat Ramon, Jason, Aaron, and Bret in a cook-anything free-for-all with Fried Oysters with Southern Vegetables and Creole Mustard Aioli.
  • Janine beat Michael in a risotto challenge with Mushroom Risotto with Mascarpone and Rosemary.
  • Janine beat Bene in a frozen/canned veggie challenge with Seared Scallop with Pancetta, Minted Pea, and Corn Purιes.
  • Janine beat Patty in an onion challenge with Pork Loin with Apple Rolls, Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Caramelized Onion.
  • Louis beat Janine in a challenge using three ingredients selected from a $25 farmer's market trip with Olive Oil Poached Prawns with Tomato and Fennel Bisque.
  • Louis beat Sara in a blindfolded tag-team mascarpone challenge with Mascarpone Poached Snapper with Beech Mushrooms, Snap Peas, and Potato.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ochowie posted:

Bene is a caterer?

Yep, and his Top Chef bio is largely copy/pasted from the about us page on his website.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Who was the first James Beard nominee to compete? Pork Kevin in season 6 is the earliest I can recall, but I may be forgetting someone. Either way, even in season 1, line cooks and culinary school students never had a shot, even if they made up more of the contestant pool. The show's been about executive chefs and chef/owners for almost as long as it's been on.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Kermit's appearance made this episode feel especially like some kind of Treme crossover. If you're not watching Treme, you should; it's even got a chef story arc that features Tom, Emeril, Eric Ripert, and David Chang. I'm pretty sure Bourdain is either a writer or consultant for those scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

jng2058 posted:

Hell, in this very episode Tom was saying "I'd rather fail big than win small" or something to that effect. Nicholas was trying to go big, and the gamble failed, but he only took the chance because he had that safety net that he'd won fair and square. For Tom especially to encourage him to fall on his sword when the only reason he failed was because he dared to dream big? That's some hypocritical bullshit.

It doesn't seem hypocritical to me. Take risks, but own up to it when they don't pay off. I was surprised that they directly suggested that he resign, but they acknowledged that he was within his rights to actually use the immunity he won.

Hell, if you buy the argument that presenting yourself well for potential employers/investors is more important than doing well in the competition itself, resigning might've been a good face-saving move. "I messed up, something something integrity, I'm confident enough to take my chances in Last Chance Kitchen."

• Locked thread