Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Make sure A) both power seats work with absolutely no hesitation or slipping and B) the compressor clutch isn't engaging/disengaging randomly when the A/C is on. If either or both of those things are false, run away. Don't think about it, just run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

All the BMWs, Saabs, and Volvos I am look at are complete garbage in our price range ($3-4k). :(

You can usually get one hell of a car out here for that much cash. Even cheaper if you want a 'vert, because we're getting into snow season. You just need to drive it home.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ultimateforce posted:

:siren: Bonus welding pictures. :siren:

I know gently caress all about welding aside from holy poo poo that's some fine rear end welding. That's art.

Explain to me the change in colour along the weld, also why did you say not to learn to weld on stainless?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

NOTinuyasha posted:

Make sure A) both power seats work with absolutely no hesitation or slipping and B) the compressor clutch isn't engaging/disengaging randomly when the A/C is on. If either or both of those things are false, run away. Don't think about it, just run.

Can I add screaming to the running?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

You can usually get one hell of a car out here for that much cash. Even cheaper if you want a 'vert, because we're getting into snow season. You just need to drive it home.

If it was up to me every car I owned would be a convertible, the girlfriend says otherwise.

Boo hoo when it rained in the S13 you got soaking wet! Oh the wind messed up your hair! Fixing the top is incredibly expensive, wah!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

88h88 posted:

I know gently caress all about welding aside from holy poo poo that's some fine rear end welding. That's art.

Explain to me the change in colour along the weld, also why did you say not to learn to weld on stainless?

Stainless steel oxidizes when it's hot, like a lot of other metals. Now that I think of it I guess all of them do? Anyway, the colors vary on how much argon is covering the weld when it is hot.

WELD COLOR CHART

Silver - Too cold to show color oxidization
Straw / Gold - The ideal amount of argon coverage
Dark Purples - The next step down from gold
Blues - This is right on the edge of being too hot with too little gas coverage!
Light Purple - Abandon weld, you've gone too hot and argon isn't going to save you now!!
Black / Dark Gray - Would not pass a visual weld inspection, possibly would fail a destructive weld test

You can see this rainbow effect in some of the pictures above, but not a perfect example. I'll see if I can find you something today while I'm welding (if it comes up).

Don't start on stainless because it's loving expensive.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 15, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ultimateforce posted:

If you really want one I can sell you a whole swap in a crate. It's a project we are working on now. Complete turn key S13/S14 swap. All the hard work done, you can have it running in a weekend.

Oh god how much for I am poor. Plus dealing with emissions in Georgia, yeesh. From what I read, its possible, but dealing with all that red tape.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your welds are so goddamn gorgeous. I hope to one day advance past the booger weld stage and stick firmly in the "utility welder" stage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
To add to the colors of the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone), the reason they are different colors actually lies in what's called "thin film constructive interference". This is because the oxide layer thickness depends on how hot the metal was and how long it was heated for, the hotter and longer it's made, the thicker the oxide layer gets. The oxide is transparent, but it's so thin (on the hundreds of nanometers scale generally - if it gets thicker than that, you see black) that light reflecting off the top of the oxide layer and light passing through the oxide layer, reflecting off the base metal, then passing back through interfere with each other constructively, AKA at one particular wavelength, the waves line up and therefore it reflects that color many times better than the other colors, which are either unaffected or experience destructive interference.

The same thing can be seen in a regular (not first-surface/scientific optics grade) bathroom mirror - you see two reflections, one somewhat dimmer than the other. At wavelengths of light which approach the thickness of the glass (assume 5mm or 1/4" - so, these would be radio waves not light, really, and you'd need to make the mirror out of something that reflects those wavelengths instead of simply passing them through) you would get the same effect. It's almost like a resonating cavity or passive supercharger ("donkey dong" hanging off many factory intakes) for light.

:science:

e: tl;dr: WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Don't TFT LCD panels work in a similar way?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

Boo hoo when it rained in the S13 you got soaking wet! Oh the wind messed up your hair! Fixing the top is incredibly expensive, wah!

Uh yeah, contrary to popular belief, most women actually hate convertibles.

Can't you do the top yourself on the s13? Or is it still expensive just by itself?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In general, LCDs work on polarizing light, not interference. There's a polarizer film on the back, then the LCD matrix, then a polarizer film rotated 90 degrees from the first one. When there is no charge applied across the liquid crystal layer, the light passes straight through it, and is blocked by the next polarizer, while with a charge applied across the liquid crystal it twists the polarization of the light as it passes through. The degree of twist depends on the voltage applied, which can be used to produce shades other than black and white.

Oh, and LCDs don't like weld spatter. Ask me how I know :saddowns:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

leica posted:

Uh yeah, contrary to popular belief, most women actually hate convertibles.

Can't you do the top yourself on the s13? Or is it still expensive just by itself?

I say throw in a 6 point cage and rivet button snaps on the cage. Then when it rains just button a tarp to the car when you park. If you're driving, well, you're just going to have to get wet.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Oh god how much for I am poor. Plus dealing with emissions in Georgia, yeesh. From what I read, its possible, but dealing with all that red tape.

LS2 swaps are California state legal to put in a 240sx.

As for the package pricing, it is to be determined still. Trying to track down every last hose and fitting and it's more of a side project right now. I'll post an update about it when there's more done.

Edit: This is a good chance to hear what some guy we don't already know would want in a package. Email ricky at rawbrokerage dotcom if you want and tell him you asked Will about a LS1 swap kit and that you want some details.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 15, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

I say throw in a 6 point cage and rivet button snaps on the cage. Then when it rains just button a tarp to the car when you park. If you're driving, well, you're just going to have to get wet.

I thought he was going to use the convertible as his daily though? Ugh I can't remember, too many cars :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ultimateforce posted:

LS2 swaps are California state legal to put in a 240sx.

As for the package pricing, it is to be determined still. Trying to track down every last hose and fitting and it's more of a side project right now. I'll post an update about it when there's more done.

Yeah from my reading Georgia defers to the national code, which is as long as the combination is the same year or newer than your car and that combination passed emissions it should be good to go. I'm thinking the headache comes in trying to convince the sniffer stations you have everything from the other vehicle that made it pass and getting them to understand you're trying to pass as a engine swapped car. Most of them I think would just consider it tampering and say no.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Yeah from my reading Georgia defers to the national code, which is as long as the combination is the same year or newer than your car and that combination passed emissions it should be good to go. I'm thinking the headache comes in trying to convince the sniffer stations you have everything from the other vehicle that made it pass and getting them to understand you're trying to pass as a engine swapped car. Most of them I think would just consider it tampering and say no.

Modified Magazine did an article about this. Basically you need the LS2 e-Rod package and a Corvette non-adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welp they won't even loan me $1000 to get the car. I can't find poo poo for $3,000 that is not a smoking pile. The used car market in Orlando is terrible. I don't have time to drive to Kissimmee or Tampa to get a better deal.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'd offer $1250 to $1500 for this one. It has the wrong DI cassette, and is the non-turbo 2.3 with the 4 speed slushbox. It'll live forever just as long as you keep up on wear items. You'd get a cheaper low-maintenance daily driver out of an old Saturn SL2, though. :v:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
If you're looking at Volvos for dd, get a RWD 7/9 series car, preferably 93 and up (92s are OK as most are R134A converted, but 93s got a better compressor).
They will run forever as long as they have oil and water.

I've put 6k miles on my $700 beater, and EVERYTHING works on it. Even the power antenna.

FWD Volvos are finicky in both the engine and transmission departments. The engines require much more preventative maintenance. My old redblock on the other hand, gets oil added when the light turns on in U-turns and water when the fan kicks on after shutoff. Plus they're non-interference and the belt is like $10. Perfect DD.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd offer $1250 to $1500 for this one. It has the wrong DI cassette, and is the non-turbo 2.3 with the 4 speed slushbox. It'll live forever just as long as you keep up on wear items. You'd get a cheaper low-maintenance daily driver out of an old Saturn SL2, though. :v:

That guy was REALLY weird on the phone.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

NOTinuyasha posted:

B) the compressor clutch isn't engaging/disengaging randomly when the A/C is on. If either or both of those things are false, run away. Don't think about it, just run.

Can;t this be fixed using the bread tie shim method or does that only delay the inevitable rip the whole thing out and replace?

I own a 99 S70 and I get this. It's getting annoying to press off / on all the time.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ultimateforce posted:

More so than the typical Saab owner?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mafoose posted:

If you're looking at Volvos for dd, get a RWD 7/9 series car, preferably 93 and up (92s are OK as most are R134A converted, but 93s got a better compressor).
They will run forever as long as they have oil and water.

I've put 6k miles on my $700 beater, and EVERYTHING works on it. Even the power antenna.

If it's a factor, I get 17 mpg in aggressive (mostly in-town) driving in my 940 turbo. It is fun as hell tho

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

What a terrible day buying cars, holy poo poo! (Don't read this, it's probably boring.)

So we couldn't get a loan for the Volvo (which I was afraid of) due to the age. No big deal, I only had a $200 deposit down on it they agreed to give back if I couldn't get financing. This place was zero pressure and really up front. They called my girlfriend multiple times to tell her they were reapplying for credit for her, but there was no pressure or strings attached.

We COULD do a 2003 or newer car, which they have on the lot (mostly BMW 328s) but it was more than we want to spend right now with our finances in constant change.

I am at work at this time and I get the bad news. We need a car bad but one more day isn't going to be a life ending experience at this point and one of the mechanics in our complex does those "$500 for junk car!" ads on the side of the road. I knew I could get a $1000 car in an hour if it came down to it. I've been down that road before and I am prepared for it.

Anyway, I get a second call with my gf telling me my parents are dragging her to a buy here pay here lot close to my job with one of my dad's friends "pre-approving" her credit. Cool, totally sketchy because my dad is not as smart as the thinks he is. They get her on the lot with promises of a VW Bug or Passat, maybe an Acura TL. I got on the lot and saw the Passat, a 2003 with 100,000 and change miles. $8,000 written on the glass. Kinda steep but if we can get a newish car that is dependable I am game. Then the other shoe drops, they'd only finance us on a more frugal car because we are two young kids who need a good first car.

For those not in the know at this point, I am 30 years old and I've owned around 20 cars.

The sales guy leads us down the row of Buicks, which was incredibly depressing. A sea of American poo poo. So bubbly. So bland.

"Buicks are held to the same build quality as Cadillacs!" Said the sales guy who had taken a very interesting sales strategy of buttering up my dad while ignoring me and my girlfriend. Apparently no other person has gotten on on the ground to look under a car before, and they told me it was very silly.

We finally settle on a 2000 Neon SXT I decide is the least terrible car they have that the sales guy will allow us to even sit in. The A/C works, but the idle is really bad. Probably a clogged IAC valve and there are spider webs on everything. The girlfriend drives it and it is the most plastic car possible. Nothing is good about this car, and even better is the price. ONLY $6,000! $7,000 after interest!

This is with $2,000 down, cash.

At this point my girlfriend is crying and I step outside because my dad is starting to make a scene. $7,000 is a great deal for a 13 year old GM car! (Door squeaks like a haunted house upon opening, matching the already spooky spider webs.) I had to look like a jerk and pull my girlfriend out of there with her crying. I later found out she heard the sale guy offer my dad $100 cash if we bought the car that day. What the gently caress?

I have $2,000 cash to spend on a car (saving the rest for tax, tag, etc.) and I get paid again Friday. I might just buy the Volvo cash if I can in a few weeks or just buy another $1000 Altima. Back to square one after a wasted day.

:smith:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

Spill it. Did he want group sex, or just to weep into his pillow as you drove off with it?

Hollis Brown posted:

More so than the typical Saab owner?

>implying

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

"Where is the car located."

"At the dealership."

Oh.. Alright.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I guess those yellow marks on the ground beneath the car were formerly parking indicators, rather than something leaking, then.

Some SAAB people are strange and want to fix the car before selling it. Hell, my '89 purchase was delayed because the owner wanted to get it 'cleaned up' at the local indy and make sure the tires were properly pressurized. Dude was a (former) bigwig at John Deere, and he spent a day waxing it before I picked it up. Single shot cover over the original paint was a little less than concourse, but it was livable. Still miss that car, other than the tranny.

On the other side of the spectrum, the '96 900SE I picked up had no gas, one working door, and no windows. I was handed a fiver when I took it for a test drive after getting it to roll over, so I could put gas in it. $1250 later, it was mine. 3 days (and about $500 worth of parts) later, it was a daily driver. Still is (for the person I rebuilt it for).

You have either end of the pole. There is no middle ground with Swedish cars. The Volvo nuts are not quite as transparent. Watch out for them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ultimateforce posted:

What a terrible day buying cars, holy poo poo!

Totally reminded me of driving 3 hours to Chicago to look at a Gallant I saw on auto trader. After looking for a while we come to what must have been the shittiest lot for miles and of course its where this car was. Advertised as "mint!" for 4 grand with 100k on the clock. You could literally see clean oil dripping from under it in a steady stream like he just put it in for the test drive since I had already called for directions. I suck it up and say we're leaving, he panics and guides me over to a clean-ish looking intrepid. So I play and tell him to open the hood, it was missing the entire intake. He tries to recover but im already turned around and suddenly realize that the next car over is what had to be the saddest most beat to poo poo and left begging for death Testarossa in the world with $35,000 on the window. Hes like "You want it?" gently caress lovely lots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat dude, your dad is a dick.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Alright I think I have $3,000 cash today to drop on that Volvo. I'll see if that dealer wants to play ball.

Might be driving a Volvo yet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ultimateforce posted:

$7,000 is a great deal for a 13 year old GM car!

Did you yell at your dad for not knowing what marque a Neon is?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Oh yeah I guess an old Dodge, which sounds even worse!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

"A 13 year old Dodge."

More like Dodge that car on the lot and keep walking.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I will never understand why people want to hot rod a loving neon. :psyduck:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DrPain posted:

SRT-4s are factory turbo cars and the ACR is/was a descent budget autocross platform for the time. Seems pretty obvious in those cases.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
But... It's a neon...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DrPain posted:

But... It's a neon...

YOU are a Neon. Of posting.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

CarForumPoster posted:

SRT-4s are factory turbo cars and the ACR is/was a descent budget autocross platform for the time. Seems pretty obvious in those cases.

CarForumPoster posted:

YOU are a Neon. Of posting.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

DrPain posted:

I think the answer is usually that they can't afford a sports car but 3 months later they can buy that battery tie down and cold air intake.

• Locked thread