Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Yep, that will do it. I am hyper vigilant about keeping my clean and it has come in handy. I consigned for my brother to get a new fiat when I acquired the Outback, and he was getting like 11% apr offers. With me he got the option for 0% for 60mo or 1.9% for 72mo. It is only $800 in finance charges over a 6 year loan and $200/mo so that's pretty good. Downside for me is that my credit is probably maxed out with 2 fiats, a motorcycle, and massive student loans.

UF does she have any family (in the US) that will consigned with her if she is against another cash beater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My student loan debt really isn't that bad - $8000 originally, though since a decent chunk was unsubsidized, I think I'm up to about $8500. I can't afford to do even the minimum payments anytime soon, so I just sign up for 6 hours of community college classes every spring/fall. I need them anyway, and it's way way cheaper than the loan payments (though I'm ineligible for any federal or state financial aid right now).

I didn't give two shits about my credit until a few years ago, and it shows.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Nope, no family here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you don't buy that 240 wagon you are Dumb As Hell, hope this helps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Yep, that will do it. I am hyper vigilant about keeping my clean and it has come in handy. I consigned for my brother to get a new fiat when I acquired the Outback, and he was getting like 11% apr offers. With me he got the option for 0% for 60mo or 1.9% for 72mo. It is only $800 in finance charges over a 6 year loan and $200/mo so that's pretty good. Downside for me is that my credit is probably maxed out with 2 fiats, a motorcycle, and massive student loans.

UF does she have any family (in the US) that will consigned with her if she is against another cash beater?

Even with my bankruptcy I still qualified for the 1.9% at 60mo. Oddly enough last fall I couldn't cosign for my girlfriends loving Beetle.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Rhyno posted:

Oddly enough last fall I couldn't cosign for my girlfriends loving Beetle.

They did you a favor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrPain posted:

They did you a favor.

Don't I fuckin' know it.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Rhyno posted:

Don't I fuckin' know it.

Wait. Was it a FACTORY TURBO beetle? Somebody needs to scold me, quick!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SHOP FUN FACT: Anything with a magnet on it will get lost.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You just need something else with a magnet on it it to find the other stuff with magnets on it

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
http://www.harborfreight.com/retrieving-magnet-250-lb-pull-36905.html

This is one of my most useful tools.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 18, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
That seems too huge. What kind of stuff do you use it for?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Holding parts to a workbench when a vice won't fit, finding lost dropped nuts, bulk floppy disk erasure, the list goes on and on!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Also good for accidentally erasing every bank card in your wallet from 3 feet away.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

rscott posted:

If you don't buy that 240 wagon you are Dumb As Hell, hope this helps.

Yeah, get the 240. I have an '84 with 460k miles and another '84 that I used to punish a prius for running a stop sign. Both are daily drivers. I have never done any work on either save for replacing a couple body panels and engine mounts after the wreck.

Also, females love 240s. My wife basically refuses to drive anything else.

e: or buy this s70 http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/4051112760.html

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 18, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

kastein posted:

Also good for accidentally erasing every bank card in your wallet from 3 feet away.

Reminds me of one of my friends at my old job. Brought a set of very strong neodymium ball magnets in to work and made everyone nervous walking all around our IT gear with them on him. He eventually smashed his fingers badly while playing with them and stopped bringing them in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

(if you want a fast car, though, this isn't it)

Yet.

I mean come on, drat near any engine UF has owned in the past X threads would fit in it and be faster than the B230.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah, get the 240. I have an '84 with 460k miles and another '84 that I used to punish a prius for running a stop sign. Both are daily drivers. I have never done any work on either save for replacing a couple body panels and engine mounts after the wreck.

Also, females love 240s. My wife basically refuses to drive anything else.

e: or buy this s70 http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/4051112760.html

If that 240 was here in town I'd be selling my E30 and buying it

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The '99 Volvo was a junkbox. The A/C compressor was bad, the dash rattled, and the tires had extreme positive camber wear. No thanks at $4,000.

The $1,000 Altima probably needs another $1,000 in repairs.

The search continues, which I DO NOT have time for.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

At this point, find a charitable goon in your area who in exchange for your welding skill will do the leg work for you. Give them the $1k, point them to searchtempest and start a thread or use this one. Crowd / goon-source your ride.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
One of my parts store managers just got promoted and as such is selling his 01 civic 5 speed manual with 115k miles for $2500. Original owner, everything works, meticulous maintenance, hunter green.

Fly to Vegas on southwest and drive it back.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

One of the guys around the complex has a 2003 Lancer OZ edition (missing the OZ wheels?) for $2500. Might take it for a spin.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Have you considered a cheap-o motorcycle?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

No.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yet.

I mean come on, drat near any engine UF has owned in the past X threads would fit in it and be faster than the B230.

I don't know anything about Florida emissions regulations, but the B230 can handle a lot of boost!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I would like to point out there is a 190E 16V for sale in orlando right now at $3k. You would be wrong if you bought anything but a 280k mile Cosworth Mercedes.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Jared592 posted:

Have you considered a cheap-o motorcycle?

Also e-30s and miatas are the best cars for single moms looking for grocery getters and/or weekend track car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

atomicthumbs posted:

Florida emissions regulations

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

We have literally no inspections whatsoever. Unless it's visibly dangerous to where a cop will pull you over you can get away with just about anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you considered a skateboard?

If the Altima only needs 1k in repairs that's honestly not bad considering most used cars around here under 3k are going to need that much put in to them anyway. You're not gonna find a car for 2-3k that needs nothing.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

They are all short term, medium, and long term solutions respectively for a regular car for my girlfriend to have for college and work.

Just incase everyone got so high on the "lol UF thread" that they forgot that this isn't for him..

This is probably one of the safest cars you could stick her in. $2500 isn't bad if it's been kept up to date, but I'd want a PPI done, it has the wrong goddamn DI on it, a 2000 is a black top. It's an LPT, so mileage will be about 20-23mpg mixed driving.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

leica posted:

Have you considered a skateboard?

If the Altima only needs 1k in repairs that's honestly not bad considering most used cars around here under 3k are going to need that much put in to them anyway. You're not gonna find a car for 2-3k that needs nothing.

I really don't have time for a repair job. If I had time for that I'd put the engine back in my S13 so I'd have a car too.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Just incase everyone got so high on the "lol UF thread" that they forgot that this isn't for him..

This is probably one of the safest cars you could stick her in. $2500 isn't bad if it's been kept up to date, but I'd want a PPI done, it has the wrong goddamn DI on it, a 2000 is a black top. It's an LPT, so mileage will be about 20-23mpg mixed driving.

I might give this guy a call, Winter Park can be either close or really far from me depending on what they consider to be in that city.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is it 1k of repairs at a shop, or by yourself? At a shop gets him a good 2k altima, he didn't want to fix it himself

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

By myself at the shop. I did a list:

Broken A/C line: $200
lovely tires: $300
Door handle clip broken, driver's side (so I have to fix it): $30?
No radio: $100

I am not in the mood to fix this car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
You could easily pick up some cheap used tires with some tread left, and just get a crappy headunit, ya know.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

This thread would be much better if you all stopped giving him advice he's not going to take.

I'd prefer it more like a stream-of-consciousness feed of bad finances and good welds.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

ultimateforce posted:

Ugh, this car needs tires, I don't have time for this! *drops six grand on a Neon with engine problems*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For fucks sake buy the ultima you loving retard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

You don't need A/C now, we're getting into winter, fix it later. The tires she could have done herself somewhere. Door handle whoop dee doo, no radio boo hoo.

You're making this sound a lot loving harder then it actually is dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

Ugh, this car needs tires, I don't have time for this! *drops six grand on a Neon with engine problems*

The Neon I said I would never buy?

• Locked thread