Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think I might like the new AV club reviewer.

Stray observations posted:

The couch gag sees Homer being rejected by the bouncer guarding the Simpson’s sofa, even as he allows the rest of Fox’s animation lineup inside to party with the rest of the family. Apart from Bob’s Burgers, I wanted to scream, “You haven’t earned the right to be on that couch!”

Edit:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I really enjoyed this episode (relatively speaking). Even the couch gag seemed appropriately cheesy, like in the older seasons.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
Can't say I liked the episode much, but "Lisa, you've told me a thousand things a million times" was a great line.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

This IS the final season, right..? Not sure I can take much more.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I didn't think this episode was good, but I enjoyed it. As a former big fan of the Grateful Dead, I enjoyed the reveal of Homer listening to them during his alcohol detox and exclaiming about how the verse went on for days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This episode crossed from being awful Simpsons into being one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen on TV. Maybe it's because I only dip my toes in every so often so this can be seen to others as something resembling 'a watchable thing', but holy poo poo. Critical making GBS threads post 'Dads' is somehow less lazy and more approaching funny that what aired on Sunday. God knows how bad it's going to get if that's the season opener.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doflamingo posted:

This IS the final season, right..? Not sure I can take much more.

I've heard rumors of a 26th season.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I hope there will be many more, but then again, I'm one of the weird people who grew up with The Simpsons always on, and loving the hell out of the early seasons, but still like the new seasons and avidly follow, laugh and enjoy more or less all the episodes. I can't wait to see the new episode, and I hope the one they kill of is Krusty's father, since I see the others as too important for the show's story. But then again, don't mind me, I like the seasons after season 8 almost as much as I liked season 8 (I loved season 8).

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

Datasmurf posted:

I hope there will be many more, but then again, I'm one of the weird people who grew up with The Simpsons always on, and loving the hell out of the early seasons, but still like the new seasons and avidly follow, laugh and enjoy more or less all the episodes. I can't wait to see the new episode, and I hope the one they kill of is Krusty's father, since I see the others as too important for the show's story. But then again, don't mind me, I like the seasons after season 8 almost as much as I liked season 8 (I loved season 8).

If people still enjoy it, I guess it's not the end of the world for the show to continue. They should change the name to something like "The Simpsons and Friends" or something equally cheesy, just to make it clear that the show is now an awful parody of itself, whose writing and direction completely lack the wit and charm of the original.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you think everything past season 10 is not "The Simpsons" to you, you're writing off the majority of all the episodes that ever were.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love the Simpsons and loved this episode. It's a highlight to cap off the end of my week every Sunday. Honestly sometimes you people who hate it look like you're all trying to one up each other for street cred.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

If you think everything past season 10 is not "The Simpsons" to you, you're writing off the majority of all the episodes that ever were.

There's at least a season or two's worth of good episodes past season 10 (and season 10 is half stinkers.)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

cheerfullydrab posted:

And it's a sad fact that the ratio of good to bad is probably on the side of bad for awhile now.
I still watch the simpsons but these days the episodes are ok to bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yep, what a terrible legacy such an originally funny show is leaving behind. At one point it astonished me there were 18 year olds on the planet who'd never lived in a world without The Simpsons, but now we're getting awfully close to 18 year olds being on the planet since The Simpsons was genuinely good.

I genuinely think if the voice cast weren't being paid obscene amounts of cast, most of them would've walked years ago. Maybe they're using the money they should be paying a good writing staff to keep them happy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I'll give the short version of my defense of the late teen seasons after all. Again.

The show was largely entertaining after from Seasons 15-19 IMO. There's plenty of little lovely things all over the place during the Scully showrunner years that the show thankfully scaled back on. How guest stars were shoehorned into plots was one example. While the episodes were rarely as good as classic Simpsons, they made me laugh enough. I was glad to tune in every week to see more of my favorite characters. Despite overstatements of shifted characterizations (so-called Jerkass Homer), I never thought characters acted much differently from the classic days. While there may still be the occasional awful episode and a handful of dry, bland episodes; the show remained consistent and largely avoided the trap of trying to be like Family Guy or South Park.

After season 20 or so, it does seem like whatever formula that Jean used to make the show good enough sort of ran dry. It looks like he slowly accepted weaker stories and jokes. The annoying use of guest stars once again resembled the worst of the Scully days. Lisa became more of the writers' self-insert. (This happened after we got plenty of good episodes exploring Lisa's character, that actually wrote her as a kid, in the late teen seasons.) Bart's characterization got weaker again. Some people believed the switch to HD hurt the animation quality; I think this problem is overstated. The four-act structure problem emerged, and it didn't help that a lot of the plots weren't big enough to get a full episode anyway. Season 23, despite three or four really good episodes, made me more embarrassed for the show than I've ever felt before.

That being said, I still think the Scully years, the first slump of the show, wasn't that bad. There were still plenty of episodes that felt right at home with the classic seasons.

If you heard this before, I guess I'm sorry for beating the dead horse in this new thread, but it seems like there are regularly people checking into this thread who haven't seen much of the show's second decade and are completely writing it off. You can trim the fat of seasons 15-19 and still got a solid 3 or 4 seasons out of it. The Simpsons Movie, which was largely well received, underwhelmed me because the quality of the movie was comparable to the show at the time.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Echo Chamber posted:

If you heard this before, I guess I'm sorry for beating the dead horse in this new thread, but it seems like there are regularly people checking into this thread who haven't seen much of the show's second decade and are completely writing it off.

To clarify my point of view, I watched The Simpsons from the first airing on Sky One in this country (just under a year later than the Fox premiere, in 1990) and I've seen every episode up until near the end of Season 23 I believe. Last season was the first time I decided that I wasn't going to bother any more, as the show was long past good, and by that point barely scraping 'ok'.

I just had this hope that due to the way the show was made, all it needed was some decent writers of a similar age to me who grew up with this show but weren't complete hacks to join the crew. I still keep telling myself 'it could happen', but I'm just lying to myself now. I dip in now and again just to see if it's bearable, whether comparing it to classic Simpsons or just as 'a show to watch in a spare half hour' which is what I did with Homerland, but I'm definitely familiar with every stage the show has taken.

I've looked through a bunch of 'Top 50' episode lists but I don't recall seeing any that had any episodes after S10 in them, and I absolutely agree with that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly, I totally understand the people who checked out on the teens because they realized at some point the show was no longer for them. I really only watch an ep these days after checking the thread and hearing a lot of interesting discussion about it -- the cruise ship episode, or the future Christmas episode, for example.

What baffles me are those people who have apparently watched every episode, hating it all the while, and taking every opportunity to complain about how poo poo Zombie Simpsons is and how it should be put down like a rabid dog or something. I thought that Comic Book Guy was a mean-spirited parody until I read some actual Simpsons discussion posts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's pretty much why I checked out, I realised I wasn't enjoying it enough to even give it such a small amount of time each week. It's hard to let go of a favourite show when you know it's still airing though, especially one that could be fixed (in my eyes). I nearly did that with Red Dwarf after it was originally brought back (and was awful), but glad I didn't because Red Dwarf X that followed it was so, so much better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I watch it because it's the lead-in to Bob's Burgers.

Also I love to complain.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If anyone cares to see it, here's the Guillermo del Toro couch gag for the Treehouse of Horror, oddly early airing this Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYY7dhTyE

Nice to see they got Pacific Rim in there, though Mr.Burns as the creepy hand-eye demon from Pan's Labyrinth is probably the best part.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Echo Chamber posted:

The show was largely entertaining after from Seasons 15-19 IMO.

I generally agree with this and most of my favourite post-season 10 episodes are from around this time. My theory is that this was around the time of the movie being made and maybe it had some effect on the show's quality?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

oddly early airing this Sunday:

Bob's Burgers is a Halloween one this week too. My guess is Fox isn't planning to air the shows for some of the month.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mokinokaro posted:

Bob's Burgers is a Halloween one this week too. My guess is Fox isn't planning to air the shows for some of the month.

Did Fox get the rights to post-season baseball again (Wasn't it on TBS the past few years?)

For once, they might have made the actual smart decision to just not air new episodes knowing they'll get preempted and time-shifted.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was a really nice opening. I imagine it's funnier than the actual episodes will be, but we'll see :q:

Pan's Labyrinth eye thing was awesome.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
For those that haven't seen it yet

I thought the multiple cameos were all awesome, even though I have trouble identifying all the different monsters and the possible references

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

papasyhotcakes posted:

For those that haven't seen it yet

I thought the multiple cameos were all awesome, even though I have trouble identifying all the different monsters and the possible references
Someone gave me a list

Del Toro's references, best to as they appear.
Pacific Rim
Bart decapitating Jedidiah Springfield
Attack of the 50 Ft Eyesores
Alfred Hitchcock & The Birds
The Shining & Steven King
Hellboy
Blade 2
Godzilla
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 2
Doom Generation (maybe, $666 or $6.66)
Phantom of the Opera (Universal and Hammer)
The Great Pumpkin & Alien Maggie daughter of Kodos
Cthulhu
Edgar Allen Poe
Steven Spielburg
Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, Kharis, Gill-Man (Creature), Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, (there's an alien behind Kharis but can't make out what it is)
Christine (maybe, color might not be right)
Jaws
Rod Sterling, B-9 (1965 tv series), (don't know the toad guy by B-9), Alien Xenomorph, (don't know about the Kaiju), London After Midnight, Army of Darkness, Alfred Hitchcock (the outline silhouette), (don't know about the UFO in the background), Romonster, First Man on the Moon, Count Orlock, Gort, Schlitze, (3 50's aliens I can't id and either Kaiju or Titan I'm not sure which), Kharis and Invisible Man (again), (I want to say Cemetery Man but the Reaper and the gravedigger is throwing me off)
Alice in Wonderland, Hypnotoad
Pan's Labyrinth (again, or maybe a scene from Hellboy 2)
Tooth Fairies

I personally loved Ray Bradbury and the Illustrated Man gag

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're talking about homer and marge sitting on the tall thrones that's indeed from Pan's Lab.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did Fox get the rights to post-season baseball again (Wasn't it on TBS the past few years?)

For once, they might have made the actual smart decision to just not air new episodes knowing they'll get preempted and time-shifted.

Fox still has some games, but will have less starting less year. It's better than years ago when they waited until November for the Halloween episode.

Season 26 is a go:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/the-simpsons-renewed-for-season-26-by-fox-1200695134/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is also a reference to Phantom of the Paradise

Also, Christine is a red 1950s Chevy, the black car is a reference to The Car

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vertical Lime posted:

Fox still has some games, but will have less starting less year. It's better than years ago when they waited until November for the Halloween episode.

Season 26 is a go:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/the-simpsons-renewed-for-season-26-by-fox-1200695134/

That will give them 574 episodes (assuming 22/yr this and next year). They still have a ways to go to beat Gunsmoke at 635 episodes.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011
Or pokemon which as of right now has over 800 episodes.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Someone gave me a list

Pacific Rim
Hellboy
Blade 2
Godzilla
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 2
Cthulhu
Edgar Allen Poe
Steven Spielburg
Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, Kharis, Gill-Man (Creature), Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, (there's an alien behind Kharis but can't make out what it is)
Jaws
Rod Sterling, B-9 (1965 tv series), (don't know the toad guy by B-9), Alien Xenomorph, (don't know about the Kaiju), London After Midnight, Army of Darkness, Alfred Hitchcock (the outline silhouette), (don't know about the UFO in the background), Romonster, First Man on the Moon, Count Orlock, Gort, Schlitze, (3 50's aliens I can't id and either Kaiju or Titan I'm not sure which), Kharis and Invisible Man (again), (I want to say Cemetery Man but the Reaper and the gravedigger is throwing me off)
Tooth Fairies

Love the list, I haven't seen a lot of the monsters in their original movies. Was hoping they would also include a reference to "Cronos" but what we got is great.
fake edit: Oh they did include it, it's the spider machine you see at the side of Maggie at the register box, and isn't that Lovecraft too drinking tea with Cthulhu?

True edit: and sorry DrBouvenstein, didn't see you had posted the link already.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 5, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

There is also a reference to Phantom of the Paradise

Also, Christine is a red 1950s Chevy, the black car is a reference to The Car
Yeah again someone gave me the list and even then he didn't think it was Christine

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well, the show got renewed for season 26.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

achillesforever6 posted:

Someone gave me a list

Pacific Rim
Hellboy
Blade 2
Godzilla
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 2
Cthulhu
Edgar Allen Poe
Steven Spielburg
Jaws
Tooth Fairies

Homer at the end on the couch is from Devil's Backbone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just realized the list also misses that when Maggie is on the checkout counter she's on there with the clockwork robot monster thingies from Cronos

You know, the only thing I really thought it was missing was Hellraiser.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Since these updates were a regular feature in the previous threads, I guess I'll try to keep up with it as well.

Treehouse of Horror XXIV
October 6, 2013 - 8/7c

The Simpson family returns to deliver their annual scary tricks and treats in the all-new "Treehouse of Horror XXIV" episode of The Simpsons.

The twenty-fourth annual Simpsons Halloween episode features a couch gag directed by Guillermo del Toro and the following segments:
Oh the Places You'll D'oh: In an homage to Dr. Seuss, Homer rides around Springfield wreaking havoc as "The Fat in the Hat".
Dead and Shoulders: After Bart is decapitated during a kite accident, his head is attached to Lisa's body and the two must live together as one.
Freaks no Geeks: In a parody of the movie Freaks, Homer and Marge are performers in Mr. Burns' traveling circus The Burnsum and Bailey Circus, which stops in Springfieldland in the 1930s - and things go awry when circus freak Moe comes on to Marge.

Fun Fact: The title card of THOH episodes didn't actually call them "Treehouse of Horror" until Treehouse of Horror XIII.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 6, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bart's head on Lisa's body?

I can't wait for next season when Lenny buys a salt truck and opens a winter salting business, only to be muscled out by Karl who opens a competing business after buying a superior salt truck.

Of the one where Moe finds his long lost adopted twin brother who is a successful airplane tycoon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

The twenty-fourth annual Simpsons Halloween episode features a couch gag directed by Guillermo del Toro and the following segments:
Oh the Places You'll D'oh: In an homage to Dr. Seuss, Homer rides around Springfield wreaking havoc as "The Fat in the Hat".

OK, I know that not all of the Halloween specials are "horror" themed, but they tend to be at least sci-fi or fantasy themed, or something more related to Halloween than Dr. Seuss. I'm guessing some writers/directors/producers had this idea for a Dr. Seuss parody/homage for a while, and had no other place to fit it in (save perhaps doing a whole episode revolving around Dr. Seuss,) so they shoved it in here.

Still...if done well, it could actually be a great segment.

IF it's done well...:ohdear:

Fake edit: gently caress, a whole episode dedicated to Dr. Seuss would actually be really awesome. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Bart's head on Lisa's body?

I can't wait for next season when Lenny buys a salt truck and opens a winter salting business, only to be muscled out by Karl who opens a competing business after buying a superior salt truck.

Of the one where Moe finds his long lost adopted twin brother who is a successful airplane tycoon.
They should just cut the bullshit and do the episode where Marge becomes a robot.

• Locked thread