Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

With all this speculation, I almost hope Reiji just turns out to be a really sheltered kid or something similarly mundane.

I also hope he's revealed to be a girl because both his voice and his character design make me think he's one.

Man, of all the characters in the first episode, Reiji is like the least likely to be a girl.

I'm still not sure of the gender of the Gyan pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is Gundam and the Gyan pilot didn't have a five episode long traumatic backstory, so I'm going with guy. :v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

With all this speculation, I almost hope Reiji just turns out to be a really sheltered kid or something similarly mundane.

I also hope he's revealed to be a girl because both his voice and his character design make me think he's one.

I was super surprised when the Gyan kid turned out to be a boy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I kinda-almost felt bad for the Gyan kid during the episode. Like, usually this type of character appears after we've had time to get to like the bullied character. I was also surprised that he turned out to be a guy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sei's "ideal" is a little off to me. It's portrayed as an unambiguously good thing that Sei found someone who he thinks will treat his Gunpla well. That's fine by itself, but when paired up with Sei's sudden flashback to seeing his dad wreck poo poo at a Gunpla tournament while watching Reiji perform the same moves, it gives me the impression that Sei subconsciously wants to be his dad's mechanic sidekick and he's projecting that on to Reiji. I wonder if Sei will find out his "ideals" are a load of crap and he'll learn to fight Gunpla battles in a way that's completely distinct from his dad.

I don't know, a big thematic part of Gundam is on the suppression from past generations on newer generations, right? Is it still Gundam if the newer generation (Sei) suppresses itself because it constantly compares itself and thinks it falls short of the past generation (Sei's dad)? Of course, this is all conjecture right now and maybe it'll turn out that Sei doesn't think any of those things I described in the last paragraph. Maybe he just plain sucks at Gunpla battles and it has nothing to do with trying to be a Xerox copy of his dad.

Really, this entire train of thought was because Reiji compared Gunpla battles to mixed martial arts when he first met Sei, and the thought of little plastic Gundams fighting it out in the Octagon was hilarious. Speaking of, was Reiji's MMA comment a localization thing on GundamInfo's part, or was that literally what he said?

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 11, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's pretty likely that Sei will eventually figure out how to pilot. Maybe he's subconsciously constantly comparing himself to his dad and dragging himself down, maybe he just needs some more practical experience, whatever.

It is also just as likely that Reiji will learn to love gunpla as much as Sei. I wouldn't be surprised if Reiji ends up building the upgrade while Sei pilots it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Or if this show wants to be the slightest bit daring have Reiji die at the midpoint, and Sei being forced to take over. Though really we all know the final upgrade is just going to be some sort of two-seater or something.

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know, I just realized when I walked past my Gunpla shelf that this show might actually let me see some of these things in action. I don't care if this show is as lovely as AGE at this point, so long as it gives me a full length combat with the 00 Qan[T].

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

BlitzBlast posted:

It's pretty likely that Sei will eventually figure out how to pilot. Maybe he's subconsciously constantly comparing himself to his dad and dragging himself down, maybe he just needs some more practical experience, whatever.

Maybe he's just trying to fight like his dad, using moves above his skill level, and he needs to find his own way of fighting. You could see his fighting style boiling down to "What would dad do".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Caros posted:

so long as it gives me a full length combat with the 00 Qan[T].
Now that you mention it, there is no way they won't do this. I hope.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Reiji is an alien from an alternate universe's future that has space colonies. And that alternate reality? Byston Well. Also a genie.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TNG posted:

And that alternate reality? Byston Well.

Hall yass, let's get some Dunbine up in this poo poo. Xabungle, Vifam, Orguss, the whole bit.

edit: Ideon, etc.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 11, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TNG posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Reiji is an alien from an alternate universe's future that has space colonies. And that alternate reality? Byston Well. Also a genie.
But is he somehow making sense of their convoluted situation?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Endorph posted:

But is he somehow making sense of their convoluted situation?
Newtype.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

edit: Ideon, etc.

Just wait until somebody puts in their heavily customized GM. :getin:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The Ide is what powers the little wish stone, which uses technology provided by The Innocent, and sold to Reiji by Amandara Kamandara.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TNG posted:

The Ide is what powers the little wish stone, which uses technology provided by The Innocent, and sold to Reiji by Amandara Kamandara.

Now I want to see somebody bring in a custom Walker Gallia model kit to the fold.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TNG posted:

And the Gunpla tournaments exist to find new Grand Cher pilots for Orphan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just watch them go full Iron Leaguer with this poo poo midway through the show.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
This show can be redeemed if the AC Guy model kit wins the Ultimate Final Battle.

It's alright so far but it is giving me the urge to visit the local gunpla stores.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

bubblegumbo0 posted:

It's alright so far but it is giving me the urge to visit the local gunpla stores.

You have no idea how lucky you are to have those. :negative:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
EP 2 just aired. You could say it was (zaku)Amazing

Reiji also gets another Gundam special power attributed to him, directly on screen. I wonder if he'll get X-Rounders at this rate?

Ramba Ral also continues to be more and more a Mr. Referee from Medabots, a development I am more than 100% okay with.

TNG fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 14, 2013

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All these people are discussing Reiji and I'm just being happy that there's a Bearguy in this show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Official simulcast link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOi14hOOHY

Show continues to be fun and hints at something more. OP is amazing, OST owns, robots do robot things.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

aers posted:

Official simulcast link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOi14hOOHY

Show continues to be fun and hints at something more. OP is amazing, OST owns, robots do robot things.

I'm glad to get a legal way of watching this, but at the same time, I don't think Youtube does justice to the battle scenes. They become too blurry and lose details. I made sure to set it at 720p and most scenes are just fine, but as soon as things get really moving...

I enjoyed what I assume is Zaku Amazing's battle theme. :dance:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Our friendly antagonist putting his own spin on the lyrics to the original Mobile Suit Gundam theme tune was a fun little reference.

Also, SUMO. :allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really like this show. The fact that they made a character named the crimson comet and who has a red zaku not wear a mask says some good things about the writers. Ramba Ral showing up at the school to explain things was beautiful.

Caros
May 14, 2008

If I had to sum up one thing about Build Fighters, the show is Fun.

But it is a very smart kind of fun. Especially when stacked up against 'recent' failures like Gundam AGE or SEED destiny. I'm not sure who they pulled in to write Build Fighters but my hat is well and truly off to them. It might only be two episodes in, but the series has a consistent theme and direction that balances just on the right side of rediculous.

In this episode, for example, we are presented with two rather unlikely things. That a school Gym has a very expensive battle system, and the random appearance of Ramba Ral. A dumber Gundam show (AGE) would have ignored the first, and gone the simple route of making Ramba Ral a teacher. Build Fighters has the sense to include a throw away line to keep the viewer from getting annoyed at a school having a crazy holographic projector.

And as for Ramba Ral? Its clear that they plan to use him as sort of a mascot and an exposition machine. But rather than contrive a reason for him to be there, they go straight meta to the viewer, which doesn't really knock you out of the show because its Ramba Ral. Its already odd that he's there, so we might as well go with it. I got a chuckle the first time that China thought "Who is this guy", but I just about fell out of my chair the second time.

As to the fighting direction? Once again amazing, though it was clear they saved most of the budget for the second battle. I especially liked the point blank saber activation, something that shows that the combat director actually thinks about how to make the fights look interesting. I don't think AGE had a single fight that looked as good as this one, and we're only two episodes in.

Suffice to say I am now straight up hooked on this show. Amusingly this is the first time I've been live watching a Gundam show that I actually enjoyed. The first live watch I ever did was 00 season 2, and between that and AGE is is refreshing.

Also, as another poster pointed out. That OP and OST! :swoon:

quote:

Our friendly antagonist putting his own spin on the lyrics to the original Mobile Suit Gundam theme tune was a fun little reference.

I was wondering what was up with that. That is a wonderful reference.

Edit: Geez, I still have more words to speak about this plastic robot merchandising show.

While re-watching the intro (because the song is bitching) I can't help but notice what is going to be one of the big meta themes of this show.

Sei's father used the Original Gundam as his Gunpla. One of the major themes of this show that people have predicted is that Sei will eventually end up as a pilot in his own right, and that part of what is holding him back is that he is just trying and failing to imitate his father.

The only way Sei can succeed is by trying to be his own person and do his own thing rather than imitating his father, the original Gundam. If that isn't a commentary about how we need to stop trying to remake the original and instead have our own Gundam with its own themes, I don't know what is.

Christ, this show.

Caros fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

If I had to sum up one thing about Build Fighters, the show is Fun.

But it is a very smart kind of fun. Especially when stacked up against 'recent' failures like Gundam AGE or SEED destiny. I'm not sure who they pulled in to write Build Fighters but my hat is well and truly off to them. It might only be two episodes in, but the series has a consistent theme and direction that balances just on the right side of rediculous.

In this episode, for example, we are presented with two rather unlikely things. That a school Gym has a very expensive battle system, and the random appearance of Ramba Ral. A dumber Gundam show (AGE) would have ignored the first, and gone the simple route of making Ramba Ral a teacher. Build Fighters has the sense to include a throw away line to keep the viewer from getting annoyed at a school having a crazy holographic projector.

And as for Ramba Ral? Its clear that they plan to use him as sort of a mascot and an exposition machine. But rather than contrive a reason for him to be there, they go straight meta to the viewer, which doesn't really knock you out of the show because its Ramba Ral. Its already odd that he's there, so we might as well go with it. I got a chuckle the first time that China thought "Who is this guy", but I just about fell out of my chair the second time.

As to the fighting direction? Once again amazing, though it was clear they saved most of the budget for the second battle. I especially liked the point blank saber activation, something that shows that the combat director actually thinks about how to make the fights look interesting. I don't think AGE had a single fight that looked as good as this one, and we're only two episodes in.

Suffice to say I am now straight up hooked on this show. Amusingly this is the first time I've been live watching a Gundam show that I actually enjoyed. The first live watch I ever did was 00 season 2, and between that and AGE is is refreshing.

Also, as another poster pointed out. That OP and OST! :swoon:

There seems to be a genuine affection for the franchise and its fans, as well, which perversely makes this most merchandise-driven of Gundam shows seem far less cynical than the bland, slapped-together, committee-driven AGE. I particularly appreciate how they let every suit be cool - the purpose of the SUMO is to be wrecked to show how awesome our protagonists are, but before that they let it show off why it's a badass mech design with a significant fan following. Having it do the visor-flip like that was especially neat.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That was pretty great. I liked how Reiji didn't suddenly embrace Gunpla (and how Sei couldn't just hold the episode 1 promise over him forever) and actually thought it was really silly, and the battle scene was excellent. Youtube may have ruined the quality, but the battle choreography (and soundtrack!) was pretty drat great. Huge improvement after AGE.

The opening was nifty too, though I have to admit I thought China (I can't believe that is actually her name) would get the Build mkII instead of Bearguy III. And the ED was hilarious in an incredibly nerdy way. Ral showed up near the end, I wonder if that means he's secretly a member of the Gunpla Elite Four. :allears:

Also obligatory what the gently caress is up with Reiji comment.

EDIT: Rewatching the opening, I notice the Tallgeese was the first suit in that opening enemy crawl. So yeah, guy who was wondering about that, it's showing up.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 14, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope they keep doing weird things with Reiji and never bother to explain it. That would be magical :allears:

Also, this gets my vote for the best soundtrack of the season. Yuuki's battle theme was fantastic.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm having a blast watching this. I was always surrounded by Gundam merchandise growing up, but I never really got into the series itself. This is perfect for someone like me; cool robots from my childhood, no depressing space opera (so far), and a well written (so far) generic shounen storyline. A free and legal viewing option just takes it over the top.

Now I have to resist the urge to buy and build a model. Goddamn transparent marketing! :argh:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This show is real good, even if you have a palpable skepticism about any and everything Gundam. Just goes to show how a little animation craft and writing savvy can turn what could've been a terrible merch hocking anime into something that is that but also pretty entertaining.

I ain't buying no drat models though

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I kind of hope they reveal that Ral is a longstanding, old-school Gundam fan to the point he's adopted the facial furnishings of his favourite character, and now imparts sage wisdom on tweenagers in the same way.

I hope their appearance in the show is effectively a promise to put out some ∀ Gundam kits, Turn X even has a backpack for the line's gimmick!

Darth Walrus posted:

There seems to be a genuine affection for the franchise and its fans, as well, which perversely makes this most merchandise-driven of Gundam shows seem far less cynical than the bland, slapped-together, committee-driven AGE. I particularly appreciate how they let every suit be cool - the purpose of the SUMO is to be wrecked to show how awesome our protagonists are, but before that they let it show off why it's a badass mech design with a significant fan following. Having it do the visor-flip like that was especially neat.

Holy gently caress this is true. It seems kind of like Gunota Girl and that series about the orginal series being made where Tomino was pretty much Spider Jerusalem, about Gundam's place in culture. Also, it seems to be partially a means to justify and market updates of kits. Obviously SEED, which I understand had fairly poor kits compared to what comes out now, is getting a few, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Astray Red Frame can be assembled into a CE accurate one rather than the Build Fighter version, and ∀ Gundam has never had HG support until (hopefully) now. If they are going to do this stuff, I think they really want a show going out to attract more interest in them beyond existing fans.

And Zaku Amazing fights with razor blades!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Astray Red Frame can be assembled into a CE accurate one rather than the Build Fighter version

They already did this with the HG Astray Red Frame w/ Flight Unit. It's got improved articulation and detail over the original 1/144 kit.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Watching Rambal Ral explain the "harshness of the battlefield" to a girl who can't stop wondering who the hell this guy is while they're watching people fight with plastic models has pretty much made this SOTY for me. I think this show's very wry sense of humor about itself is really its best asset. It's very much a BUY GUNPLA show, but it's one that actually has a very funny and entertaining method of presentation about it. I care about this crap since the show gives a crap about it. Also, its rather radical soundtrack.

Plus

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Word from NYCC is that Build Fighters will be 25 episodes. Looks like we might have another two season show on our hands.

Also, apparently the next episode previews (which the youtube uploads cut out) reference previous shows'. The first episode used MSG's, this one used Zeta's. I guess ZZ is next?

EDIT:

SpikeMcclane posted:

The previews are there at the very end, just after the gunpla commercials.

Welp. That's what I get for not watching till the end.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 14, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, apparently the next episode previews (which the youtube uploads cut out) reference previous shows'. The first episode used MSG's, this one used Zeta's. I guess ZZ is next?

Yeah, that's pretty cool.

"You will see the Battlefield of Gunpla!"

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The previews are there at the very end, just after the gunpla commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Forget genie, I'm thinking alien now.

• Locked thread