Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popehoist posted:

This show will probably be incredibly entertaining and harmless fun. I'm glad that Bandai have finally recognised they will never make "another First Gundam".

If you mean "they recognized they will make another First Gundam exactly" then yes. They're just going to make it after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm hoping that it'll include USA & Canada, otherwise it's a dick move that bluefin (North American distributor / part of Bandai itself) is promoting the english simulcast.

They did the same thing with AGE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Maybe the AGE Orbital will actually be useful this time around :unsmith:

I wouldn't hold my breath for AGE anything to get any significant showing. They appear to be quietly trying to pretend it didn't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Another design has been released. And just like that one Hyaku Shiki in Gunpla Builders,

the Akatsuki has been spray painted white. Also it has a beam gatling gun that may double as a ridiculous beam saber? I dunno.

EDIT: I think it also has the Green Frame's axe-handle gun. Wow, somebody actually remembered that thing exists.

I wonder if that's something the protagonist made. It's called Build Akatsuki Gundam ala Build Strike Gundam while everything else so far has a character-distinctive name.

... Man, is the Strike going to upgrade to the Akatsuki instead of the Freedom?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Opening up with the Gyan wrecking Wing Zero is the funniest loving way to start this show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the feeling from the first episode that there is going to be some goofy as poo poo twist.

Reiji is a ~newtype~ from another world. They're probably going to end up discovering Gunpla Battles are a gateway into some alternate reality or some poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly my only real thought on the first episode is that it feels a lot like Heroman, which isn't helped by the protagonist's voice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Supposedly the writer isn't a fan of Seed.

That's just something someone on 4chan made up. Considering that this episode contains a bunch of SEED stuff and the main protagonist unit is the Strike Gundam, it's a pretty silly rumor to begin with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED is and remains popular in Japan, which is the reason the protagonist is the Strike Gundam to begin with. BF is also a children's show made to sell toys. It's unlikely to is going to be particularly anti any series, but SEED and Original-era Gundam in particular are both likely to get a lot of pushes due to popularity and due to SEED/Destiny HD and Unicorn airing (or "airing" in Unicorn's case) concurrently with BF. (We've already seen multiple CE and early UC units, for example.)

The only thing I'd expect to maybe get overlooked is Gundam AGE which they seem to be doing their best to pretend doesn't exist, but even that may change once more suits show up. They're putting in bizarre obscure SD Gundam poo poo, AGE'll probably show up if just in the background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I could see them shoehorning AGE suits in and trying to divorce them from their original context - they already have the molds and all.

Actually, have any Gundam X suits shown up yet? If anything, *that's* the show I could see getting overlooked the most.

One of the first suits announced was the Gundam X Maou.

Gundam X is also significantly less of a failure than AGE was, which is really saying something. It's no longer the black sheep of the franchise. AGE's DVD sales and games sales were hilariously low. (Reports suggest they expected to do gangbusters on the game and it ended up doing like 35,000 copies and being outsold by a creepy incest game.) In addition it had quite literally the worst ratings of a Gundam franchise.

Still, it'll probably show up because they want to move those models.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AGE's game came out at the very tail end of the franchise. (Literally the week before the final episode IIRC.) They couldn't really shitcan AGE because it was supposed to tie into that.

It'll be interesting to see how BF does with kids. AGE's biggest failure is that kids didn't watch at all. Like literally sometimes the total viewship for kids hit 0%.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyber Formula is also excellent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Faltion posted:

Is that an entire shelf of MSVs? :allears:

No, Meer's Zaku is there and that appeared in-series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

With all this speculation, I almost hope Reiji just turns out to be a really sheltered kid or something similarly mundane.

I also hope he's revealed to be a girl because both his voice and his character design make me think he's one.

Man, of all the characters in the first episode, Reiji is like the least likely to be a girl.

I'm still not sure of the gender of the Gyan pilot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just watch them go full Iron Leaguer with this poo poo midway through the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's just the Zeta Gundam wielding Lowe Gear's sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Sei likes all Gundam because the protagonist of the show is unlikely to dislike any* Gundam show. Considering we're also getting a Build Mk.II the odds are fairly good we'll see both a Build SEED upgrade and a Build UC upgrade. A Build Akatsuki was shown off and Build (X) seems to be the protagonist suit names at this point going off Strike and Mk. II.

(*We'll see if AGE ever gets mentioned.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 21, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not actually convinced anyone in this show is a guy. Not even Ral.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, Reiji is teleporting and telepathic so there is going to be some off-the-rails.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

As a general rule this show seems to hate Gundam SEED. Apart from the Build Strike we've seen the Freedom(Cut in half), Zaku Gunner Warrior (threatened to be cut), and the Justice (Shot to death). I suppose its to make up for the fact that the main Gundam is from SEED (kinda, not really) but still.

We've also seen machines from every other show get wrecked and, again, two of the machines that get special OP status are Gundam SEED units. (The Astray Sengoku as well.)

This is people looking for 'official' justification of their personal SEED hatred while ignoring this is the same show where a Ball wrecked a bunch of advanced mobile suits. We've seen the Sumo get smashed, the Wing Zero got dismantled by a Gyan in the first episode, the Hamarabi got utterly wrecked as an excuse to show off Build Strike's upgrade, and tons of other units have been dismantled in the sideshots.

Trying to read some sort of metacommentary into the destruction of the suits is silly as hell. Every unit that gets beaten in Build Fighters is not secretly hated by the staff.

Edit: Actually if there is a meta-commentary, it seems to be 'customizing your suit more = winning, using base suits = get your rear end kicked." In other words, BUY MORE TOYS.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You've made this error twice now and I keep getting annoyed by it. :argh:

Whatever Wing it is. I can't really keep the two straight. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got around to watching the most recent episode and... eh. It was the first really negative episode for me. Kirara is basically a bunch of awful stereotypes, the fight was really uninteresting, and it'd be nice if China wasn't acting like a Gundam AGE character. It had its moments but it was the first episode I just wanted to end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Kirara is clearly coming back and will develop a healthy love of Gundam while probably still being a fantastic, manipulative bitch, it's gonna own. I don't see how China was acting like an AGE character, outside of beinginterested in a boy.

She spent the entire episode sitting in the background looking frustrated at Flit Sei as he expressed interest in another girl without actually doing or saying anything meaningful until she 'won' by default. So far her contribution to the series has been "Do you have a Gunpla even a girl can build?" and this which isn't a great first impression.

Endorph posted:

That said, while China isn't great, she's at least shown some degree of personality, like how she keeps getting baffled by Ramba Ral. That's more character than most of the characters in AGE showed, female or otherwise.

She's fine when she's playing the straight woman to Ramba Ral's hilarity though, that's true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

She didn't ask if there were Gunplas even a girl could build, she asked if there were any Gunpla for girls, which is very different and it's kind of weird that you would misinterpret it like that.

No, the literal translation of what she said is "Are there any gunpla that even girls can build?" The Youtube translation is "Are there any Gunpla for girls?" but that's a bit off from what she said.

tsob posted:

Well, as said after the last episode - she's the girly girl. Kirara and the Finnish character at the least use non-girly units, if pink painted in Kirara's case, so it's not like all the female cast will be like that. Her role is probably never going to be more than token love interest, friend and girly-girl though outside of a fight every now and then within the competition using her Bearguy.

Yeah, that's my general concern. :smith: I hope the Quebely pilot gets to be a bit more of a character. Otherwise I'm enjoying the show, glorified toy commerical or no.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Original Bearguy was insanely powerful in the show it was from so that may be true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fred is on posted:

One fun thing about the Strike is the different weapon modules. It could be nice (for the show, less so for your wallet) if they go that route, and have it use a different loadout as needed. I like how this latest upgrade came about, though. "Hmmmm, the X Maoh has a giant fuckoff laser. Wait, I know! We also need a giant fuckoff laser!"

I'm still curious to see how the Build MkII will come about, though. I thought it'd be as a result of the Build Strike getting trashed, but it seems not. Maybe that comment on Sei lacking imagination will motivate him to make more kitbashes.

The fact that the Mk.II seems to heavily tied to Reiji while the Build is so heavily tied to Sei seems to imply there will come a time when Reiji needs to make his own Gunpla. The Build is all over the advertising and OP so I don't think it's going to be a case of the Mk.II replacing the Strike (especially since it doesn't really seem like an upgrade so much as a sidegrade) but it'll probably be something Reiji builds or works on himself.

We've also seen that there can be multiple people battling at once (Reiji's Ball vs the Zeon dudes) so it's possible that Reiji and Sei may pilot together. I don't know how they'd square that with Reiji being necessary for the Strike to go all-out though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 7, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Don't talk about that. Don't even JOKE about that... There is no way any sane human being would cut this show at 13 episodes. Then again Sunrise execs...

Here is something to think about. This is the climactic battle from Gundam AGE between the second Generation rivals, it is the new version included in the extra movie release because the original version lasted a little over a minute and was even shittier.

You can top that with pretty much any battle we've seen from Build Fighters. And the main battle from this episode? AGE competes against BF in the same way that an infant could fight Muhammad Ali.

Amusingly this week's fight actually contained a reference to Gundam AGE. The 'spin the beam saber' shot was identical to the one Obright used to shank Fram. I'm waiting to watch the full episode but supposedly there are a few more in the fight as well, just integrated pretty seamlessly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I don't think it's the same gunpla. That was almost definitely a Zaku she was painting this episode since there was both the spike shoulder and shield shoulder. She's probably practicing on a few kits before she makes a tournament one.

The kit she has is literally the Gunpla Beginners Kit including an easy-to-build Zaku and Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Why don't they love me and my MG's! :negative:

I really am hoping the show still gets a mid season upgrade. I really like the Build Strike, but neither it nor the Build Mk2 give me the feeling that they are Sei's masterpiece.

There is a 100% chance there is going to be at least one major upgrade. The Strike and Mk.II are both "first-generation" robots from their respective series. Odds are extremely good we're going to see an upgraded Build for each. Build Zeta is unlikely (they're doing that in a sidestory manga already) but it could easily become Build Nu or Build ZZ or Build Unicorn or something. Strike will probably become Build Freedom or Build Akatsuki. (The latter of which already has a model.) You can expect them to stay in the UC/CE because UC/CE are the 'big sellers' so they're probably not going to end up with Build Exia or something like that.

If it goes long enough you can expect similar upgrades to the other characters, all of whom are also using first-generation MS as their build bases. Gundam XX Maou or Wing Zero Fenice or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

But what would they use for the Sengoku Astray upgrade? Powered Red Frame? The Mars Jacket?

They could do a giant Samurai-themed Power Loader or something like that, or go for the Red Frame Kai or just one of Lowe's goofy-rear end upgrades. The Zeta Flame in the manga is using Lowe's new sword from Destiny Astray R. Red Frame Astray itself is already effectively a kitbash MS so they've got a lot of freedom there. The Red Frame Astray itself is the odd man out as far as protagonist stuff goes because it isn't even from an animated series, but I guess you can chalk that up to Astray's popularity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

I can't imagine this show will stop dead at 25 episodes. It's a virtually risk-free proposition from a merchandising standpoint, and it sounds like top talent is clamoring to work on it – short of dismal ratings, why not keep it going?

... Well, uh, the ratings so far have been dismal so that's something. If the early word is to be believed, it's sub-Age and Age was already king of the lovely Gundam Ratings. The whole 'being available online' thing may contribute to that but Age was available online too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

They did it 6 episode in really, since the Build Mk II was introduced at the end of the last episode in a way that made it look like they wouldn't be going back to the Build Strike. I'm not really sure why it'd scare you though. Show seems to be pretty clear in it's intent to have Sei/Reiji go through a few suits throughout and probably change it every 5 or 10 episodes, as opposed to twice in the show. No real reason not to either, since it's both good for the merchandise and for the show itself by constantly changing up the action a bit and keeping it visually interesting. Personally I'm hoping that Sei decides to try and imitate one of the cooler aspects of a show the way that the Apsalus and Gundam X Maoh did in this episode. Maybe the Vayeate's beam shielding, V2's wings of light, some funnels or 00's quantum sword or something rather than having him stick to vanilla suits and winning through pure skill against gimmicky opponents. He can show off some gimmicks and still have Reiji win with skill after all.

Sei said he's going to repair the Build Strike. It's totally coming back at some point. So is the Mk.II. They're both the "OP" robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The actual power levels of the suits in 'canon' appear to be entirely unimportant and most of their gimmicks and power comes from the mobile suit iself.

A lot of the secondary stuff just doesn't exist. Build Strike doesn't have Phase Shift armor. The Wing Gundam (and probably Wing Zero) don't have super-strong super-light armor. It's unlikely that a GN suit would actually have the special abilities of a GN suit, or that a Zeta could Biosensor Saber, or that Turn-A could nanite swarm everything on the battlefield or that Unicorn could control enemy funnels or whatever. You certainly aren't going to get something like the Berserker System or Zero System which enhances the pilot.

It seems like what you have to do is build special gimmicks into the suit itself. Aspalas got an I-Field because of special glossing applied to the model itself, not because someone attached an I-Field to it. Sei designed a detachable backpack and so the Strike's backpack can detach and continue fighting as a core fighter. What the suits can do seems to depend on the designer instead of the canonical ability. You can use G Bits as long as you're willing to spend the time and effort to build a whole loving lot of G-Bit models.

It seems like special gimmicks like the Gundam X's Satellite Cannon needing microwaves still exist unless the gunpla builder specifically goes out of its way to design a gimmick which doesn't require that. On the other hand that's like the weird exception to the rule because everything else we've seen so far seems to lack any of the significant weaknesses of the canonical suit. Obviously you don't need a Newtype to use G-Bits (or presumably funnels), the Strike doesn't have its massive energy issues and need to recharge, and obviously G Gundam suits don't use Mobile Trace Systems. The Gundam X/DX might just be a weird exception here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

Turn X can still dismantle at will.

Yeah but it looks like the Zaku Amazing can as well. Suits like the Psycommu Zaku can detach their arms at will. That's not actually that great a gimmick.

It's also important to stress that the show doesn't seem to be saying "bigger guns win." Almost universally it's the more creative and more well-crafted Gunpla that wins as opposed to the thing trying to be the bigger gun. Look at the DX this episode which (on paper) should have been a complete shitwrecker. The DX with the moon out and an army of G-Bits was basically a mook of the week because he focused on quantity over quality.

It's goofy and cartoony but 'the build quality of the toy means it is stronger" is kind of the underlying concept. Things like Freedom, Justice, the DX and the Wing Gundam have all gotten their poo poo wrecked by on-paper inferior mobile suits. Even if you have a canon-perfect Turn-A or Turn-X, you'd probably get your face pushed in by a guy in a heavily modified GM. Mao even mentioned how all of Sei's wall-o-protagonist suits were masterfully built but they disappointed him because they weren't modified.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I kind of wonder how he got good enough to be well-known in Sei's area if he apparently just spammed G-Bits all the time. Though then again, Sazaki made a name for himself too and he's not exactly king shitwrecker either.

Well, it's worth remembering Reiji is king hot poo poo of the mountain. He started piloted recently and is already capable of fighting the super-elite guy to an effectively standstill and basically wrecking everything else. "Spam G-Bits" probably works just fine when your opponent isn't a protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it was just Kirara it wouldn't be so annoying but so far the show's just been really weird about it. Even characters who can and should know a lot about Gunpla don't seem to. Next episode at least has the potential to make it a bit better but there's a lot of annoying little things the show is doing. They could at least be including random female extras in the random Gunpla battles they're doing but instead they've been universally dudes unless they're plot-bearing.

It's probably not even intentional, they just don't think about it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah that's a fair point, but how many normal Gundam shows have had faceless female pilots? If a female pilot exists her death is usually meant to be uber tragic instead of just 'here is a faceless dude the protagonist fought for a bit and then killed.' Not that that excuses it, mind, but it's kind of endemic to the series as a whole.

I believe Turn-A had a few, I know SEED had a few, and there's a lot of minor/background characters in various shows. It's not overly common but especially for a show like this that shouldn't really matter. Even just from a "hey kids, buy our toys" perspective you should be pushing everyone who can to buy your stuff so... well, you get more girls like the awesome little girl above.

They're doing a Girl episode next week, which is good because it will at least mean female characters show up onscreen and get to do stuff that isn't coded Cyber Newtype Plot, but it's still annoying that it's being shuffled off to the side. They couldn't exactly have China being a major contributor when she's newer to Gunpla than Reiji and Nils (and presumably not a super-ace talent like they are) but that's also a writing decision they made.

Basically it annoys me only because it is such an incredibly simple problem to solve and makes your product more marketable, so it's mostly just thoughtlessness that makes it an issue rather than anything malicious or misogynistic. It's not deliberate willful poo poo like AGE had.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

This show has a refreshingly low amount of sexism compared to gundam age.

So does reddit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't a case where it's either/or. People don't watch things only for one thing.

Gundam SEED had a large cast of female characters who got to do things. It also had a large cast of 'hot' (not my usage but whatevs) men engaged in melodramatic soap opera action. Both contributed to its success. You can have one without the other but you also can risk repelling an audience if you make it distinctly unwelcoming to them.

To reverse it: Men will watch shows both for male characters (either likable/power fantasy characters, sympathetic characters, or bland audience insertion characters) and for female characters who they like either as characters or in that oh-so-otaku waifu way. It works both ways. People don't engage in media on only one level unless it's a level they really like.

Admittedly the ratings seem to show that Build Fighter's audience is 20-40 year old men almost exclusively so it probably doesn't matter at this point.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sei's mom is genuinely great most of the time. She is such a mom.

• Locked thread