Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I like the detail of having wing's decapitated neck look exactly like a gundam model kits neck, complete with a ball joint.

The last iteration of this concept had one of the fighters lose because the lovely polycap in his leg broke, so I'm not really surprised.

Now I just want to see Unicorn show up, have it go into destroy mode and have the entire loving model fall to pieces because the transformation mechanic is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

For a show who's surface morals appear to be something along the lines of "Gunpla's are cool. Buy our models" Build Fighters' first episode was surprisingly well directed and actually pretty smart.

Take, for example the shot of the city from Reiji's perpsective. At first glance you see buildings upside down and think 'space colony' since it's such a standard Gundam trope. Then it pans to Reiji looking at the city upside down and hints at the idea that he sees things very, very differently than other people in the city.

Likewise there is another clever reversal of the standard Gundam trope. By the very nature of Build Fighters it focuses a LOT on the Gundams/Gunpla. Normally the Gundam is an extension of the pilot, it gives them power and allows them to act towards (or in some cases enforce) their ideals on the world around them. Yet at the end of the episode Sei isn't running around trying to find a gunpla, he's looking for the pilot.

The animation was good, the cameos and lighthearted nature of the show were excellent. Its entirely possible that Build Fighters is going to go AGE on us and absolutely poo poo the bed once it gets past the clever opening, but done well this could make for a really, really good gundam show about little plastic robots.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

So what are the chances that this show will pull a G Gundam and have the tournament fighting fade into the background at a certain point? Some of the stuff with Reiji makes it seem like he might not exactly be from this planet.

It'll probably have a harder time doing that than G-gundam unless they end up going Yugioh style shadow games.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Age was pretty bad from the get-go. It had a 14 year old working to design a mobile suit and him figuring out that the Vegans were going to attack soon. Instead of telling the leader of the colony, someone he's close with, he only tells his teacher who dismisses him.

So right now build fighters first episode is way better then age's.

You're right actually. I keep having this vision that the first one or two episodes of age was actually good... but it really wasn't. It had a decent reason for him to get in the suit, the beam shank and the dods rifle which had a sound effect I liked.

Christ age was lovely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know, I just realized when I walked past my Gunpla shelf that this show might actually let me see some of these things in action. I don't care if this show is as lovely as AGE at this point, so long as it gives me a full length combat with the 00 Qan[T].

Caros
May 14, 2008

If I had to sum up one thing about Build Fighters, the show is Fun.

But it is a very smart kind of fun. Especially when stacked up against 'recent' failures like Gundam AGE or SEED destiny. I'm not sure who they pulled in to write Build Fighters but my hat is well and truly off to them. It might only be two episodes in, but the series has a consistent theme and direction that balances just on the right side of rediculous.

In this episode, for example, we are presented with two rather unlikely things. That a school Gym has a very expensive battle system, and the random appearance of Ramba Ral. A dumber Gundam show (AGE) would have ignored the first, and gone the simple route of making Ramba Ral a teacher. Build Fighters has the sense to include a throw away line to keep the viewer from getting annoyed at a school having a crazy holographic projector.

And as for Ramba Ral? Its clear that they plan to use him as sort of a mascot and an exposition machine. But rather than contrive a reason for him to be there, they go straight meta to the viewer, which doesn't really knock you out of the show because its Ramba Ral. Its already odd that he's there, so we might as well go with it. I got a chuckle the first time that China thought "Who is this guy", but I just about fell out of my chair the second time.

As to the fighting direction? Once again amazing, though it was clear they saved most of the budget for the second battle. I especially liked the point blank saber activation, something that shows that the combat director actually thinks about how to make the fights look interesting. I don't think AGE had a single fight that looked as good as this one, and we're only two episodes in.

Suffice to say I am now straight up hooked on this show. Amusingly this is the first time I've been live watching a Gundam show that I actually enjoyed. The first live watch I ever did was 00 season 2, and between that and AGE is is refreshing.

Also, as another poster pointed out. That OP and OST! :swoon:

quote:

Our friendly antagonist putting his own spin on the lyrics to the original Mobile Suit Gundam theme tune was a fun little reference.

I was wondering what was up with that. That is a wonderful reference.

Edit: Geez, I still have more words to speak about this plastic robot merchandising show.

While re-watching the intro (because the song is bitching) I can't help but notice what is going to be one of the big meta themes of this show.

Sei's father used the Original Gundam as his Gunpla. One of the major themes of this show that people have predicted is that Sei will eventually end up as a pilot in his own right, and that part of what is holding him back is that he is just trying and failing to imitate his father.

The only way Sei can succeed is by trying to be his own person and do his own thing rather than imitating his father, the original Gundam. If that isn't a commentary about how we need to stop trying to remake the original and instead have our own Gundam with its own themes, I don't know what is.

Christ, this show.

Caros fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

TNG posted:

Watching Rambal Ral explain the "harshness of the battlefield" to a girl who can't stop wondering who the hell this guy is while they're watching people fight with plastic models has pretty much made this SOTY for me.

The whole time I watched this scene all I could think was "In the middle of a gunpla battle, Ramba Ral forgot to stay more than 50 meters from the school at all times!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

3. It was a little thing I liked, but most shows would have glossed over the fact that a school had a gunpla arena, but at least they gave a semi-plausible explanation as to why they had one.

This was one of the biggest things that stuck out at me after watching the episode. It seems like such a minor thing, but it adds so much to the viewers ability to just sit back and nod and enjoy the show. This show has a ton of plot holes or otherwise implausible events (Ramba Ral in general, People showing up just when the plot requires it etc) but you can just roll right on past them because the show itself pokes fun at it.

I also love the Plavasky Particles. They are so rediculous the moment you think about it, but when they are introduced things are engaging enough that you just nod and go. "Uh huh, sure. That makes sense."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

I'm not Caros, but I think the point isn't so much that it'd be dumber, but that it would be less interesting/less funny.

Basically this. Having him be a teacher would have been easy and with many recent Gundam shows, and especially AGE, that has been a major issue. While its okay to take the easy answer sometimes with writing, when you do it for everything it leads to a show that is lifeless. Every twist and turn is easy to guess because the writers didn't think past the surface.

Here the writers knew they wanted someone to spout exposition, and rather than try and figure out a plausible way to find ways for him to be hanging around every time, they went with a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' to the viewer. We know that at best its silly, but at the same time it inspires some interesting thoughts about who Ral is in the story and what impact he might have on the plot.

quote:

And I'm pleasantly surprised at the characterization of the resident Char clone. Beyond the Zaku Amazing and sweet title, Yuuki doesn't really resemble Char in design or character. He's seems like a nice dude who likes his Gunpla. Despite Reiji's animosity I hope he ends up bros with Sei and co. outside the Gunpla arena.

Its possible I'm reading too much into a show about toy robots, but I also really like what they've done with Yuuki. While he doesn't have a literal mask, judging from this episode its possible that Yuuki the chairman is a sort of mask overtop of the Crimson Comet persona. He acts differently and even adopts a new look when he's engaging in Gunpla battle, in many ways he seems like a completely different person.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 15, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bimmi posted:

That is entirely awesome,

You only WISH your technical skills were that good. I honestly cannot believe anyone is dissing this thing.

Wait, what the hell thread are we in again?

I think most people are giving that model poo poo because its not very... gundamy.

It has a Gundam headcrest despite having no other features even similar to a Gundam. Its festooned with Zeon iconography, but the design itself doesn't seem to really carry any attachment to traditional Zeon or Neo-Zeon models. The most I can give it is that its painted green and I think that the thing in its chest is supposed to be the Sazabi's mega particle cannon. I'm not sure though.

On the whole I can acknowledge that is a very well crafted model, but its too busy and too off type. I actually prefer some of the repaints and dioramas from that set simply because they look like something from Gundam instead of something from Michael Bay.

Edit: Jesus.... gently caress. In the middle of a battle Ramba Ral forgot to put his loving pants on.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sure I originally heard Build Fighters was an OVA, was that wrong or did it get extended?

That was Gunpla Builders. It was a three episode OVA series that touched on the concept without being nearly as awesome.

Watch Build Fighters. It is shaping up to be the best Non-OVA Gundam product in close to a decade. I actually prefer it to Unicorn but to each their own.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It's definitely got much better battle choreography at least.

Well I think one of the reasons I am hyped for Build Fighters is that it plays to the thing I like about Gundam, giant fighting robots.

A lot of shows, SEED, 00 to an extent, Unicorn especially really hammer in the pacificsm theme to the detriment of the mobile suit combat. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing all the time, but I'll admit I got kind of bored in the last episode of Unicorn when 90% of the OVA was taken up by bickering, newtype bullshit and side co-prosperity plotting.

By its nature Build Fighters allows for guiltless battling. You can have two characters kick the poo poo out of each other without having to constantly have them retreat or worry about watching 15 flashbacks of "NICOLLLLLL!!!! STELLAAAAAAA!!!!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I've seen a few people with that opinion. However 00 and Unicorn handle the whole pacifism ideal way better than SEED did. The last episode of Unicorn felt like it was just a huge set up for episode 7, which seeing as it is now feature film length, I've got really high expectations for it. As for BF, I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. As you all have said the fight choreography is awesome. If this is the goofy fun we get before the Origin comes in and blows minds, I'm 100 percent game.

Oh I agree with that 100% SEED's attempt at dealing with pacifism is Kira getting a Mobile Suit that is so strong no one can really fight against him. Unicorn has had some wonderful action scenes intermixed, but I guess I just get annoyed at Banager's Newtype brain problems as he yells at people for the 30th time to stop fighting.

At the end of the day I just like BF because it lets you have fun with Gundam. Excluding G Gundam the vast majority of the series is pretty loving depressing, and for once its fun to see a straight up Shonen Battle Anime about my favorite robots.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I think one of the most fun parts of this show is going to be testing my Gundam knowledge. Its like a trivia show where they flash five seconds of a Gunpla before it explodes and you have to guess which gunpla it is.

Also, no love for the thread for the Mobile Coffin reference? I always loved that feddies called it that, and its wonderful to see the nickname being used in a show.

They did a great double fake with the Reiji/Ral meeting up section. The whole scene including the dialogue is framed so that you think Ral is probably from another world just like Reiji and then, nope, Ramba Ral has no idea what you're talking about... now come play plastic robots with Nazi cosplayers in this seedy bar.

Caros fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 21, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fred is on posted:

The trend so far seems to be to showcase a lot of existing mobile suits, but introduce one BF-original robot per episode. This episode had two, I guess, but one was an semi-upgrade while the other didn't really do anything yet.

I'm glad Sei point-blank asked Reiji what his deal was at the beginning of the episode, rather than dance around it for half the series. Reiji is obviously not telling the whole story (if it's even close to the truth) but at least the question has been put on the backburner because he doesn't want to tell, rather than because Sei decided not to worry about it for some anime reason.

The "Are there any for girls?" line at the end made me roll my eyes a bit, because obviously the dozens of models the camera was panning across were for boyz only. Of course, this show is a combination of Gundam fanservice and safe-as-hell hobby shounen, so I'm not holding my breath for stereotype-defying portrayals of female characters. At least it's not AGE, I guess.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Better than AGE!

Overall I'm really impressed with the quality of writing overall in Build Fighters. The characterization is excellent and while they've acknowledged some of the standard tropes, they also avoid them like you mentioned. A good comparison is the agent Coleson 'mystery' from agents of shield. We know that something is up in both cases, but here they acknowledge that its there, but that the character involved just refuses to answer honestly.

I do think you need to give it more credit for the "Are there any for girls" line at the end. To me the whole thing seemed very in character considering what we know of Kousaka. She seems to be completely new to the idea of Gunpla, and thus far I don't think she's even seen another female Gunpla player, which isn't really all the surprising. Add to that her personal tastes which seems to trend very feminine (She paints flowers, wears pink everything outside of school), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her ask if there were Gunpla for girls.

I actually really like that last scene, because I view it as her deciding that she wants to go buy Gunpla, but being so shy about it that she brings her little brother along as an excuse.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

You new to sports anime? :v:

Honestly though, that's something the series has been handling well. In most anime of this genre, the entire world is obsessed with the sport. Here? It's flat out stated that it's a pretty geeky hobby that only recently started ramping up.

And lets be honest, Gunpla Battle would be loving AMAZING if it were real. Super advanced holograms and a particle that causes plastic toys to fly around engaged in combat with one another?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

Also is it just me or does the ZAKU AMAZING keep taking out SEED suits?

As a general rule this show seems to hate Gundam SEED. Apart from the Build Strike we've seen the Freedom(Cut in half), Zaku Gunner Warrior (threatened to be cut), and the Justice (Shot to death). I suppose its to make up for the fact that the main Gundam is from SEED (kinda, not really) but still.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen anything from 00, which was written by the same people. I am not surprised that we haven't seen poo poo from age however. And speaking of AGE, at this point in that series we were about to enter Fardain instead of prepping for a kicking rad battle with Gundam X.

Overall I'd say this episode was pretty damned good. The battle was actually kinda 'meh' for me, but I think its just a matter of budgetary concerns, this episode wasn't exactly super important in the grand scheme of things, so its no surprise that the animation is slightly less impressive than say the first two. That said the plot continues to move along in very entertaining ways, the stuff with Kousaka was amusing, Ramba Ral continues to appear creepily out of nowhere and we continue to see how much of a neurotic Gundam nerd Sei is.

I especially liked how they have an initial scene which seems to suggest that she's this huge pop star, when in fact she's got like... twenty fans.

Edit: Yeah, that explains the 00 and Age stuff, probably going to be the same with unicorn as well. I figured Age was just general distaste, but that seems to make sense. Kinda sad since I really liked a lot of the 00 machines.

I am curious to see how they handle some of the special systems from respective series. We haven't seen anything resembling Psychoframe, Trans-am, Zero system etc. Judging from this episode they also seem to be ignoring defensive stuff like Phase Shift, which isn't surprising.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 28, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We've also seen machines from every other show get wrecked and, again, two of the machines that get special OP status are Gundam SEED units. (The Astray Sengoku as well.)

This is people looking for 'official' justification of their personal SEED hatred while ignoring this is the same show where a Ball wrecked a bunch of advanced mobile suits. We've seen the Sumo get smashed, the Wing Zero got dismantled by a Gyan in the first episode, the Hamarabi got utterly wrecked as an excuse to show off Build Strike's upgrade, and tons of other units have been dismantled in the sideshots.

Trying to read some sort of metacommentary into the destruction of the suits is silly as hell. Every unit that gets beaten in Build Fighters is not secretly hated by the staff.

Edit: Actually if there is a meta-commentary, it seems to be 'customizing your suit more = winning, using base suits = get your rear end kicked." In other words, BUY MORE TOYS.

For the record I actually really enjoy SEED and I'm one of the few here who actually can tolerate SEED destiny (the compilation movies anyways), I was just commenting that as a series SEED seems to be getting a high amount of close up shots of major suits being destroyed.

I don't think the show's writers hate SEED as a show, I'm saying that four episodes in we haven't seen a standard SEED model do anything but suck and die and that I wouldn't be surprised if this was a conscious decision to allow other series to shine since the main suit is based off a SEED design. I just don't think its a total coincidence that we have both the Freedom and the Justice, the two headline Gundams from their series getting wrecked in throw away scenes.

You could be right on the commentary however, that its just a way of showing that stock suits are terrible compared to custom builds.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Although it IS really loving weird and gross how an adult woman gets the hots for 14 year old Judau.

Its the Newtype hots though, and those have been shown to be completely irrational and hosed up even when they aren't an adult woman and a teenage boy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Episode 5 is out!

One thing I've really been appreciating about this show is that it they know they have a goofy concept so they just roll with it.

Not only did they acknowledge that Sei has been attracting weird people, but that imaginary fight was hilarious as hell to watch. It's like two kids on a playground endlessly one-upping each other while playing pretend. Also, seeing Sei/Reiji and Mao dressed as Kira and Garrod was a pretty neat visual gag.

I thought that episode 4 was a little bit of a flop in terms of visuals and just over all energy, but this episode confirms that it was really only because it was more or less a filler episode. This one is back true to form, easily one of the best they've done, with wonderful appearances by Ramba Ral and the new rival character.

Also Gunpla martial arts school? Seriously, the gently caress. They failed so hard by not making Mao pilot the Shining Gundam

Caros
May 14, 2008

So I know that the intent was probably to show off how powerful the new cannon was. But there is a small part of me that can't help but think the directors were poking fun at the green GP-02 by having it be destroyed after taking a shot to the shield (its one weak point!)

Caros
May 14, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm sorry, what about the Victory is second tier? :mad:

The fact that it sucks? :)

Or the fact that it is replaced by the V2 Gundam

Caros
May 14, 2008

That goddamned fight. :suspense:

That has got to be one of the best animated fights I've ever watched in a Gundam series, and its in loving episode six! Where the gently caress are they getting the budget for this?

Also, build fighters really benefits from the pilots not being in the Mobile Suits. You can have knock down, drag out fights and still have both participants not be... well... dead.

In non battle related: Sei's mom is both adorable and creepy as gently caress. The Italian guy is now also appearing out of nowhere because gently caress you that's why. Kirara is in the crowd watching and thus will probably continue to be a character, which is cool. And Gyan Gan Gyan! :allears:

A+, best episode they've done yet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

God drat that fight was incredible. Such a great back and forth and fantastically animated and directed.

If their heading for the world tournament already, I'm wondering if this show will only be 13 episodes.

Don't talk about that. Don't even JOKE about that... There is no way any sane human being would cut this show at 13 episodes. Then again Sunrise execs...

Here is something to think about. This is the climactic battle from Gundam AGE between the second Generation rivals, it is the new version included in the extra movie release because the original version lasted a little over a minute and was even shittier.

You can top that with pretty much any battle we've seen from Build Fighters. And the main battle from this episode? AGE competes against BF in the same way that an infant could fight Muhammad Ali.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Why don't they love me and my MG's! :negative:

I really am hoping the show still gets a mid season upgrade. I really like the Build Strike, but neither it nor the Build Mk2 give me the feeling that they are Sei's masterpiece.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 11, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

This series is Zaku amazing. I think I am destined to like the non-standard Gundam series the best.

I am really just unbelievably glad how well this is turning out. After Destiny, 00 season 2, 00 movie and AGE I was really beginning to worry that Sunrise was getting content with just putting out the lovely lowest common denominator when it came to Gundam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Faltion posted:

I really hope Yuuki upgrades to like an Amazing Sazabi or Amazing Sinanju cause the dude is totally a Char and I'm just waiting for him to get a mask or goggles of some sort. Maybe he could even having like a transitional Hiyaku Shiki or Delta Gundam, just for shits and giggles. Too bad there is no HG of the Sinanju Stein cause that is totally like the epitome of a badguy upgrade mobile suit.

I really hope they don't give him any sort of mask, and I think the show is smarter than that honestly. Yuuki already wears a mask in his usual conversations with people as class president and a normal every day student, its no coincidence that he pushes back his hair and lets loose with the abrupt and hot blooded persona when it comes to Gunpla battle.

But yes, I'd be eager to see what he gets for an upgrade, though the Zaku Amazing is pretty... amazing. I'm still not 100% convinced that we'll be seeing mid-season upgrades if the show only goes 26 episodes. Traditionally we'd see them at the halfway point of a series, but I can't see Build Fighters negating the Build strike in only another 6-7 episodes, even though they've been very action packed.

Then again, I'm still holding out hope for a full show or a 00 two season split.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I do wonder if Sei is actually building another new Gundam from scratch for the tournament. It wouldn't surprise me since we don't see either the Build Mk II, or the Build Strike in the previews. It does scare me that they might be doing the mid season upgrade only eight episodes into the series.

That said, pretty drat good episode. I think I preferred last weeks if only because I'm not really keen on mobile armors, and the premise of this one was just a tiny bit too much on the wrong side of rediculous for once. Then again I really liked the out of suit action as much as I usually do.
Also, I can't fault them too much for a somewhat less visually impressive battle considering they blew the entire budget of Gundam AGE on the last episode.

I think it had the best comedy of the series so far in this episode. Just watching the reactions to China's swim suit with Sei talking about it with Gunpla terms and both Ral and Sei backing the gently caress off in horror as they realize how dumb Reiji was about to be.

Caros fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 18, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

So the one thing I have to say about Build Fighters is that it is loving amazing how deep this show goes.

I mean, look at 00. Midway through season one you had some interesting plotlines: What's up with the throne Gundams, what is the overall 'plan', what is Corner up to etc.

Build fighters? You've got the new Nemisis girl walking around in a mask, which begs the question why they need to hide her face. You've got Nils and Mao each able to use Plavasky particles in seemingly very strange ways. You've got the particle itself which seems like there is more to it than just moving plastic toys. You've got PPSE apparently throwing in a ringer into their own tournament. And oh yeah, Reiji is a magical loving Genie!

How is it that a show about buying plastic toys has some of the deepest mysteries of any Gundam show to date, while also having battles between Bearguy and SD Knight Gundam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

She clearly equipped Instant Hero and Little Giant before entering the stage.

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to make a tabletop game based on build fighters.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I dunno, I could see gunpla becoming big if those sort of fights happened in real life.

Yeah, if you had a game where people could make action figures fly around and shoot at each other with lasers, I think Gunpla would be a bit more popular in the US.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

I actually like China. Most of that is probably based on how much I laughed at that scene where she just kept wondering who the hell Ramba Ral was, but still. She's kind of bland, but there's way worse crimes than being kinda bland.

Not to mention, 'simpering' isn't exactly the word I'd use.

I personally don't get the hate for China at all. She's shown from the first episode to be a girl who is relatively popular with her friends, to have talents of her own (her art skills) who seems to have a crush on Sei. She sees a Gunpla battle and thinks its kind of nifty, and actually takes the initiative to go out and buy a gunpla, entering a hobby that seems to be heavily skewed towards men.

I hardly thing its a terrible indictment of her that she's quiet and somewhat reserved. Thus far she hasn't been woman in a fridged, targeted to be blown up to make the protaganist feel bad, Or shown to be uncommonly useless when faced with things within her skill set. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being a better Gunpla battler than Sei depending on the direction the story takes.

Even the idea that Gunpla battle skews towards men isn't surprising. Its a sport based off a show not particularly strong with women, that focuses entirely on the fighting robot aspect. How many women do you know who watch Gundam? My wife looks at my Gunpla's and just shrugs and/or shakes her head, and that's basically the reaction I've always received on the subject.

In my personal experience the reaction to the Franky Robot in One Piece isn't that far from reality. At least statistically.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha is this a running joke with sunrise/bandai? First season of valvrave also had some people say something similar.

It's a mobile suit gundam thing.

Chars final mobile suit in the original series was the zeong, which launched without legs. When he commented on it, it was rightly pointed out that in space the legs are just for show anyways.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

No, limbs also help with the AMBAC system, letting you adjust weight distribution through rearranging your body to provide finer control in zero-G. This is how the big fins called 'binders' started showing up, acting as extra AMBAC 'limbs' to enhance manoeuvrability.

The Zeong just compensated with a shitload of thrusters.

Limbs are also really useful when it comes to colonies. A 'jet' in space is useful for combat there, but has to be massively retooled in many respects as soon as it enters a colony. By contrast a mobile suit just sort of lands and gets on with its day of kicking rear end and orphaning children.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This show. :black101:

I don't even have all that much to say about this episode other than that it cements Build Fighters as not merely a good Gundam show, but a good show in general. Incredible action, great comedy and even some drama, a tender moment and some plot development all without feeling too rushed or to slow.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

While ship battles would be great Bandai doesn't really make ship models to scale with the 1/144 scale Gundams. Most ships are something like 1/448 scale. I'm not even sure if the carrier we saw ever came out as a kit or if the guy scratch build the whole drat thing himself for the sake of girlfriend revenge. :stare:

You my friend have never been truly in love.

... And then had that love stolen from you by an Italian plastic model enthusiast.

I can't believe that is something applicable to this show.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

Actually since things like beams are entirely artificial effects created by the system it probably makes it stronger simply because it makes the actual gunpla itself more durable and for nothing else. It's a better built kit so the system rewards it for more effort based on the build quality.

I do have to say if I have one complaint about Build Fighters its that in terms of 'rules' for their game, it really is YuGiOh the giant robot game. Things improve other things because we are told they do and things like massive aircraft carriers seem kind of out of place. I'd like to see a scene involving Sei programming his GP base for example, as an explination of how the gently caress the discharge systems work.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show. Just a pet peeve.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gotta admit, I'm not crazy about this episode. The gimmick was fun but just felt out of place for me.

That said I'm willing to give the show a ton of leeway considering how good it has been thus far. And the out of combat stuff was still phenomenal as always this week.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Got to admit I came into this episode hoping for a new OP/ED so I'm kind of letdown

But the show already has the best OP, why would you want it to change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sindai posted:

4 is unlucky because in Japanese it sounds like death or something, so 44 must be double unlucky.

To clarify, Japan has two different names for the number four yon and shi, based around how they adopted the language and writing. The latter pronunciation, Shi, can also mean death, among other things and is considered an unlucky number. Likewise nine, or Ku, is considered unlucky because it sounds like the word for torture, while eight is sometimes considered lucky due to the shape of the Kanji.

Among other things, Nippon airlines don't have any #4 or #9 seats on their planes.

As far as the rear end itching, its kinda a rare thing but my best guess is that it is supposed to be a joking superstitious response to the upcoming 44. Like how you sneeze when someone is talking about you... but with your rear end itching.

Japanese people are strange sometimes.

• Locked thread