Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm looking forward to this because sad as it is to say, I think this will be the first time in awhile that a Gundam show will avoid being a retread of UC plot points. Or, at the very least, the environment is so different that it's possible that such a retread could be endearing rather than tiring. Plus with the fall season containing a heck of a lot of sports shows, what's one more show with tournaments?

Gundam has also been one of the very few holdouts with CG mechs (though Unicorn and AGE have used it a bit for stuff like ships and the Unicorn's transformation) so that's another nice thing. Incidentally, I hope Masami Obari handles the OPs again. The Gundam AGE OPs he worked on were pretty slick!

I'm not gonna go in expecting this to be good, but I am optimistic that it will have some entertainment value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My bet is it will be simulcasted like AGE, aka only available if you're in southeast Asia or have access to a proxy. But maybe they'll surprise us!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice posted:

My bet is it will be simulcasted like AGE, aka only available if you're in southeast Asia or have access to a proxy. But maybe they'll surprise us!

Welp, I wish I didn't call it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-30/gundam-build-fighters-to-be-streamed-with-english-subs-in-limited-areas

quote:

The Gundam.info website announced on Monday that it will stream the latest Gundam television anime series, Gundam Build Fighters, as it airs in Japan. The weekly streaming will start on October 7, but it will be "limited to select geographical areas."

Sounds exactly like what happened with AGE.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pretty cool that the official stream was in 720p, I was expecting 480 at best.

The action was fairly well done and the Ramba Ral cameo was great. I got what I expected out of the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

SEED's problem isn't that it was conservative or existed to sell toys, it's that it was written by someone who's previous experience amounted to much cheaper cash-in anime and the episode of Outlaw Star where they fight a psychic cactus who controls an army of insects.

Whoa now, you better not be dissing Gear Fighter Dendoh :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope they keep doing weird things with Reiji and never bother to explain it. That would be magical :allears:

Also, this gets my vote for the best soundtrack of the season. Yuuki's battle theme was fantastic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hm, this guy on the left in the episode preview looks a little familiar.

Could....could it be!?

e: VVV Yeah I know I've seen him somewhere before, I can't place him though. Perhaps someone can!

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 15, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they were to try, I imagine they'd do it sometime later in the show's run, if not after it ends. But honestly I think even if they wanted to get this on TV in the US, they don't even have an effective way of getting it out there.

They just don't have many viable options Toonami starts at midnight so while it might find an audience among the Shonen Jump shows, it won't get kids watching. Disney XD? If Naruto wasn't given them the ratings they wanted, nothing will. Cartoon Network and Nicktoons also have a few anime but it's all deeply entrenched stuff like Dragonball Kai, Pokemon, Digimon, etc. Or in other words, franchises that have proven to be a consistent hit.

Perhaps the best route would be to put the series and its inevitable SE Asia English dub* up on as many place as possible, especially Hulu and Netflix. Far from ideal and it won't set the world on fire, but that might be the way to go.

*If Gundam AGE can get a dub for the SE Asia market, then I see absolutely no reason why BF won't get one eventually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

"Do you have any for girls?" OK, that means that whatever the class president is going to fly is either going to be useless or loving terrifying. I'm hoping for a Qubeley. White and pink, of course.

She's seen in the OP with some sort of Bearguy so it's probably gonna be that.

I have no complaints about this because Bearguy rules :colbert:

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 21, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fred is on posted:

drat fake geek girls, poisoning our hobby! :argh:

I know it goes without saying but holy crap the internet comments from elsewhere about this episode are really lovely and terrible.

Also I think watching over 20 different Gundam series means having to watch a few SD Gundam shows :ohdear:

(depending on how you define series at least, like if you count Endless Waltz as part of Wing or its own thing)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZZ also has some rather questionable subs so that kinda skews some things a little. If anyone has been watching the official Daisuki stream, it turns out that the old fansubs resorted to complete guesses at times, if not making things up that sound like they fit the scene.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Episode 5 is out!

One thing I've really been appreciating about this show is that it they know they have a goofy concept so they just roll with it.

Not only did they acknowledge that Sei has been attracting weird people, but that imaginary fight was hilarious as hell to watch. It's like two kids on a playground endlessly one-upping each other while playing pretend. Also, seeing Sei/Reiji and Mao dressed as Kira and Garrod was a pretty neat visual gag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

God drat that fight was incredible. Such a great back and forth and fantastically animated and directed.

If their heading for the world tournament already, I'm wondering if this show will only be 13 episodes.

There's a listing for box set #1 which will have episodes 1-12, so at the very least we're getting twice that much.

There are still things they can cover after they finish the tournaments. Like seeing what the heck is up with Reiji for one.

Also yeah, nth-ing that the fight in this episode ruled.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any relatively recent mecha series that are doing/did well with kids? And how were 00's ratings?

I think Danball Senkei does okay. Though the current season hasn't been in the top anime ratings at all.

It probably helps that the anime is more or less an ad for the video games.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The SD Knight Gundam was in a trailer as well as the OP so I'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

Since it's a goofy thing to have and next week is a beach episode, I'm betting we'll see it next week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If everyone is jumping to the same "wrong conclusion" then your posting is poorly worded!

Anyways, music chat:

Gundam kinda seems to bring out the best in composers. Only other show I've seen from this composer is Robotics;Notes which I remember having alright music that was ultimately rather forgettable. Can't really say any tune from that show was able to stick in my head (I've also seen the first episode of Blood Lad but unless it's something really stellar it's hard for any one track to be memorable).

My completely, utterly uneducated guess is that maybe he had more freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted to music-wise, much like how a lot of people are getting to put in whatever mobile suits they want?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zedd posted:

Not only is this show good, the fight in episode 6 is one of the best fights in Gundam in general.

That's what I really love about the setting. Because their lives aren't in danger, they can have a lot of vicious battles that would normally only be seen at the very end of the show.

Seriously, in a normal Gundam show that fight would have been the final battle.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Glad to see that Aila rules. I figured they weren't just gonna have her be some dumb cryptic girl, and now that she actually had the screen time to do more than that it's good to see my hunch was correct.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll miss out on the in-jokes, but it's not like the plot relies on them. Build Fighters is a pretty easy to understand show.

Yeah, basically this. Heck, I'd say someone could enjoy it even if they don't have any Gundam knowledge.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think this is the best G Gundam suit cameo yet (really minor spoilers for a joke)

http://i.imgur.com/aOKqQVs.jpg

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Fellini seems to be more in it for the modelling and the battles than the fiction it's based off, though. He loves the hobby, he just loves a different bit.

On the other hand, when he was drunk he talked about the key animation of the recent 08th MS Team special. I think he's a pretty hardcore fan of everything Gundam!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

People were also really suspicious of Aila but I've always been confident that the show's writers would do more than just make her be a dumb cliche.

And boy did they succeed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

paragon1 posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in fiction it doesn't matter if your concept is absolute poo poo or the most Amazing thing ever, so long as your execution is good enough.

Good ideas are a dime a dozen, after all. It's easy to come up with a lot of "good ideas" but it takes time and effort to mold them into something good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I figure the whole "Reiji is an alien" thing is finally gonna come back whenever the chairman reveals what he's up to.

Dude has one heck of a grin going on in the OP, after all!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

The broadcast rights held by the other station ran out just before the finale.

Ah. I just assumed that because the face wasn't damaged they could go with the excuse that it is totally different.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Please let this be the show that breaks the Sunrise Season 2 curse.

Buddy Complex will break it, if only because it was so derivative that doing something crazy would be a step up :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I find this attitude really annoying. Some people thought the last show was gonna be a lovely cash grab and just pre judged the gently caress out it . It looks like the same people are working on it. It's a very successful show, so why would they mess with it?

I'll be negative when there's negative news. If I eat crow fine, but I'm not gonna go "oh this is gonna suck" right off the bat.

Hell, the first season had some meddling but nobody complained about that! (Hell, some of the things they added were loved, like the Gyan Ga Gyan)

I think this is gonna be fine and I think that it's way too soon to be worrying about the sky falling.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess this confirms that S2 will star a new cast. Though a shonen series starring adults would be kind of cool.

A time skip is going to be so drat awkward though. Yeah so in the ten years since S1, absolutely no new Gundam shows have been released!

What I'm seeing here is that it needs to expand to become Sunrise Build Fighters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, he is. I don't understand how somebody could bellyache for an entire page based off a single post.

You have posted about the camera thing multiple times, in multiple threads. I suggest you just kick back and chill instead of worrying about cameras!

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 16, 2014

• Locked thread