Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm glad this show is going to get legal streaming in my area like AGE, though my problem with the GundamInfo stream is that it gets impossibly clogged and unwatchable due to proxies. Which is a drat shame because that channel is one of the few legal streaming choices for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sakurazuka posted:

Most people who haven't seen it only know it as the Gundam show so bad it got cancelled, forgetting that First Gundam was also unpopular until the movies and got cancelled, though they had chance to finish off the story in a more satisfactory way.

Gundam X got moved into a bad timeslot, like 6 AM Saturday morning (from 5 PM Friday). Scouring around the net, I've read that the cancellation was already decided before that, which is a drat shame.

It's not a terrible show. I'd call it mediocre at worst, with a plot that's not going to wow the regular Gundam fan, but I believe it has significantly good characterization--Garrod and Tiffa felt like a prototype of Renton and Eureka. Plus it was the AU show closest to UC without ripping it off by virtue of being a "what if?" story.

Also, beam harmonica cannon

I generally liked the first episode, though I'm irrationally worried how they'll get the girl into the hobby...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Casaval posted:

For some reason I have no problem with cash-in shows that are honest about it. I hope it makes a lot of money so Bandai can make a new Gundam TV series that isn't terrible.

I don't think needing money is a problem for Bandai. I think their problem is that they care more about selling merchandise than making good war stories and it's really transparent in Gundam shows post-Turn A.

Instead of relying on a good narrative to satisfy the audience (hence encouraging them to buy merchandise), they use the narrative as an advertising vehicle for merchandise. "Liked that optional pack the Gundam equipped in episode 22? We'll make a model out of it, on top of the base version! Make sure you buy both!"

Gundam has the paradox of flashy war machines (marketed to military otaku) and the need to portray war as A Terrible Thing, because Japan. And ironically, that's what I like about Gundam BF--it sheds the baggage of the latter, leaving us with honest-to-goodness competitive robot action.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even the original Gundam was designed to sell toys, it's just that the toyline bombed, and they later decided to make some movies and model kits which were accidentally a hit.

Except that Tomino did it most reluctantly. If he didn't need to sell toys then he would have gone along his own ideas.

I quite like the stories of the staff trying to jeopardize the producers' evil, money-grubbing demands (see: the ending of Might Gaine, the drab enemy mobile suit designs of Victory, and the weird-rear end G Gundam mechs). Or Gundam Sousei, even if it's dramatized to the point of hyperbole. Nowadays it feels like the directors are wholly on-board with the thing, making sure the story doesn't get too much in the way of the show being a toy advertisement.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

tsob posted:

Drab is not the word I would use to describe most of Victory Gundam's enemy suits considering that they use motorbike battleships, giant wheels, dragon mobile armors, helicopter partsformers and other crazy poo poo.

I guess the phrase I should've used was "too weird to sell as toys". It's the League Militaire's grunts that were drab. Anyway, I found a supreme lack of merch for Victory and maybe Tomino had a hand in that.

At the risk of derailing the thread further, Dendoh's giant AA batteries were a great Super Robot Thing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ah, how lovely.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I hope there's a water stage in the future, so we could get Kapools in.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ahahaha this episode was hilarious, the idol is like this sad parody of fans who force themselves on a franchise and end up hating everything. I mean, sure it's for work but she didn't have to take it that far!

Though someone who likes 0080 suits can't be that bad in my book, even if she's pretending.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Someone also pointed out that Kirara's Mihoshi clothes are similar to Marida Cruz's in the first episode of Gundam Unicorn.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This show has so many fun stuff it's almost impossible to keep track. Victory Gundam, the PUA's best friend. The plastic bag rolling by. The entire imaginary battle. That poor Physalis.

Next episode's preview is Sei's mother channeling Murrue Ramius.

I guess Tatsuya is joining some bad guy faction?

Best of all, the overall positivity is really charming me.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sonata Mused posted:

I want a School of the Undefeated of the East and a Master Asia parallel running around like Ral.

Pixiv source

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
"The white Gundam will win."

Um, but the Build Mk-II isn't really white...

I loved Ral's speech about the hobby this week. A lot of people really do need to take that to heart.

China's gunpla is going to be the new Namek at this rate.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Jamil cosplayer was pretty Neate.

Gundam X Maou runs on pure awesome, it doesn't need a moon. Did Obari work on this episode? It practically did an Obari Pose with the Hyper Satellite Cannon.

Next week, Tallgeese III!!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Couldn't count how many times I yelled audibly at my screen for this week's episode. Everything about Nils is super-silly and it's amazing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah, she kinda looks like a girl version of Mao:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bimmi posted:

It's as if Sunrise was so horrified that SEED attracted a sizable female following they've been doing their best to erase it ever since.

Girls watch Gundam for girls?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd also like to point out that the poster girl of STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER in Gundam, Haman Karn, is motivated out of revenge for Char spurning her. Also that weird attraction to Judau.

I never found the Kirara episode bad. I actually found it great, inasmuch as Sei and Reiji's reaction to her character weren't "FAKE NERD GIRL" but more of "um, if you don't really enjoy doing this then maybe you shouldn't?" There's the whole using her wiles to wrap guys around her finger but no one made a huge fuss out of it within the show. The lesson of the week was "your motivations for getting into this hobby are screwed up, please reexamine yourself", and not "girls are ruining our beloved hobby!"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Qubeley was a Mamoru Nagano design, which should explain why its aesthetic is different.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like how Aila fought in an all-villain group and wasted them all effortlessly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just love how this episode stretches what's legal in Gunpla Battling.

The one thing I'm pleasantly surprised at is the treatment of the Meijin thing. Yuuki is aware that he's playing a persona and how ridiculous it is.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What episode does the new OP/ED appear?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Okay, that's... something.

I can't believe this show. Just, what. Wow. I love how Ramba Ral knows his baseball stuff, too.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I like the clay baseball cap.

The next event seems to be some kind of Wacky Races/Steel Ball Run thing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So Ramba Ral is actually just as old as Gundam itself?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has there been a pilot named for Miss Sazabi yet?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
International Gunpla Referee arrests the Gunpla Mafioso. This show is the best.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
They should poll everyone's favorite female Gundam character in the show.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That was a great tactical fight.

That's no Trans-Am boy, that's an EXAM! I like how the Kampfer Amazing channeled the Alex with its surprise chain gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Truly the Best Century.

• Locked thread