Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ANNIHILATION: LET'S GET loving COSMIC

Did you know there was more to Marvel continuity than New York city? Well there is: an entire universe of aliens, gods, displaced Earth folks, anthropomorphic animals, and mysterious entities hang out in the dark places between the stars. Out there aliens go to war, evil dimensions invade, and super-folks cut loose with powers that can split planets like over-ripe grapefruit.

Welcome to Marvel Cosmic: it's big, it's weird, and you're a long way from home.

The Choosing
I'm looking for 4-6 players to take on the Annihilation Wave. You can pick an existing Marvel character or create a new one - just be sure to give them a reason to be interested in cosmic stuff if it isn't their natural setting.

So if you're interested in playing I'll need to know which hero you're going for (with a datafile if you're going for a non-standard one) and if you're playing an Earth-centric hero it'd be helpful to know what they're doing out in the universe.

Side Note: I'm reserving Thanos and Annihilus as important Watcher NPCs, but anyone else is fair game.

The Setting
The setting is Marvel Cosmic. By which I mean it's everywhere in the universe that isn't Earth - you've got a lot to play with, and pretty much anything goes. The event is going to start out following the basic plot of Annihilation - an unstoppable insectile space fleet invades our universe - but I fully expect it to go off the rails sooner rather than later, and I intend to embrace the changes when it does.

(Also, I'm not exactly an expert on Marvel canon so I wouldn't expect it to follow too closely.)

New to MHR?
That's ok! I mean, the game itself was pulled from production earlier this year so I can't tell you where to find the books or pdfs, but it's really easy to learn as you go. So don't feel like you need to know the game in order to play. If there's a pre-existing Marvel character you'd like to pick up, just say. If you want to create one from scratch, a basic concept is enough for me to help you put someone together.

Event Milestones
There are a dozen event milestones you can choose from instead of one or both of your character milestones, listed below, and then more if you're a kree, a skrull, part of the Nova Corps, a shi'ar, a titan or eternal, from the Negative Zone, associated with Galactus, a cosmic prisoner in the Kyln, or 'other cosmic'. I don't want to have to copy-paste all that so I'll leave those until I know what characters I have.

quote:

A Small Universe After All
The universe is vast, yet you keep running into people you know.

1 XP when you first declare that you have a history with a Watcher character in the current Scene.
3 XP when you cause stress on another character because of your past history.
10 XP when you betray someone you have a history with or you discover that your historical links run far deeper than you first knew.

Captain’s Log
You’re a commander of a space-faring vessel, whether a small scout ship or a massive Shi’ar cruiser.

1 XP when you give orders to someone under your command.
3 XP when you give an order that sends your ship into direct danger.
10 XP when you abandon ship, or go down with the ship.

Fascinating, and Logical Too
The effects of a super nova’s particle decay have never been studied up close while interacting with a hypergate field. It’s up to you to witness it!

1 XP when you use scientific technobabble to talk about the current environment.
3 XP when you use your Science or Cosmic Specialty to avoid taking stress or a complication.
10 XP when you exploit a cosmic event in order to help solve the current situation, or let a cosmic event run its course so that you can study it without interference.

For My People
You are an exemplar of your alien culture, admired and fiercely protective of them.

1 XP when you claim that an achievement is a result of your people’s work.
3 XP when your pride in your people puts you into conflict with another character.
10 XP when you are exiled from your people, or vow to never again work with anyone who is not your people.

I Hate This Cosmic Stuff
You come from a backwater world (like Earth). All of this galactic this and cosmic that is beyond your understanding.

1 XP when you take a simple approach to a cosmic problem.
3 XP when you make a roll to try to understand advanced technology or strange alien beings.
10 XP when you become an important figure in the universe, or reject cosmic importance in order to help your home planet.

In It to Save Lives
No matter how much damage a creature has caused, you believe all lives are worth saving.

1 XP when you state the case that all lives are worth saving.
3 XP when you put yourself in direct danger to save someone’s life.
10 XP when you save a life that you know will lead to more death, or you’re forced to take a life to save many
others.

Last, Best Hope for Peace
Eons of galactic strife have lead to many intergalactic enemies, but only you can bring them together to fight the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you tell someone unfriendly that you only want to talk.
3 XP when you forge an alliance between two sides in conflict.
10 XP when you break an alliance to declare war, or when the alliance is broken by war being declared on you.

Son of a Schma’Ag
You’re a criminal, fugitive, and/or all around nasty piece of work, and you’re proud of it.

1 XP when you use your Menace Specialty to inflict emotional stress.
3 XP when you add a d12 to the doom pool.
10 XP when you perform a truly heroic act in front of witnesses, or switch sides suddenly to ally with someone who’s nastier than you are.

Step Three: Profit
Even with a war going on, you’re still concerned with keeping the money flowing.

1 XP when your business instincts apply to a non-business situation.
3 XP when a Business asset or resource you created is lost.
10 XP when you make a big enough business deal to be able to retire, or if you spend all of your money financing opposition to the Annihilation Wave.

Sufficiently Advanced Technology
The right piece of technology might be able to turn the tide against the Annihilation Wave. If only you had time to invent it.

1 XP when you explain a piece of technology.
3 XP when you produce an asset or resource using Tech Master or Grandmaster.
10 XP when you invent something that will change the universe for the better, or one of your inventions becomes a major threat to the universe.

Tag Along
You’ve encountered a being that wants to stay with you and, without your help, it will probably be helpless against the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you take action to protect someone you’ve declared as your ward.
3 XP when your ward gets in trouble despite your protection.
10 XP when you declare your ward as your successor or banish your ward from your presence.

Zen and the Edge of the Universe
The mysteries of the cosmos are vast. You seek enlightenment in the midst of war.

1 XP when you discuss with another character the metaphysical implications of a cosmic event.
3 XP when you ignore an imminent threat to witness something of cosmic importance.
10 XP when your understanding of the universe leads to an enhanced state of being, or you abandon the pursuit of enlightenment to kick some rear end.

Alright. Let's blow up the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Oh hey, an Annihilation game. I was wondering when one of those was going to show up. So yeah, I'm interested, and there will be a Spiderman here soonish.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Oh man, ground floor on a Marvel Heroic game, sign me up.

Also it's Annihilation, and that's fantastic.

quote:

Thor's had a kind of a rough time, recently. First, Thanos tried to remake the universe. Then a bunch of really dumb stuff happens that Thor has to reverse time to fix. Then, his brother Loki revives Surtur, who forges a bunch of Uru hammers for Loki's Storm Giants and then starts Ragnarok. Thor figures out that some guys with even bigger egos than his, called Those Who Sit Above in Shadow, feed off of the Ragnarok cycle. So Thor goes have a talk with the Norns and has the tapestry cut off from Asgard, which breaks the Ragnarok cycle.

It was all pretty exhausting, so Thor settled in for a nice long nap. He deserves a rest, right?

Apparently not. Because a big old intergalactic insect swarm called the Annihilation Wave shows up and starts just eating everything, and someone's got to put a stop to that, too. Sometimes it's really exhausting being the God of Thunder...

THOR
Thor Odinson (public)
Solo d10 Buddy d6 Team d8

Distinctions
God of Thunder
Legendary Ego
Righteous Warrior

SON OF ASGARD
d8 Enhanced Reflexes
d8 Enhanced Senses
d8 Enhanced Speed
d12 Godlike Stamina
d12 Godlike Strength
d8 Mystic Resistance
d10 Superhuman Durability
d6 Weather Influence
SFX Immune: Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from disease or fatigue
SFX Invulnerability: Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress or trauma results unless caused by mystical attacks.
SFX Second Wind: Before you make an action including a SON OF ASGARD power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and double the SON OF ASGARD power for this action.
Limit Thunderer's Guilt: Step up emotional stress caused by guilt or the suffering of those you have sworn to protect to gain 1 PP.

MJOLNIR
d8 Expert Sorcery
d12 Godlike Durability
d10 Supersonic Flight
d10 Teleportation
d10 Weapon
d12 Weather Supremacy
SFX Anti-Force: On a successful reaction against an energy-based attack, add a doom die equal to the reaction effect die to inflict your attacker's effect die against your attacker.
SFX Area Attack: Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX I Say Thee Nay!: Double or step up a MJOLNIR power for your next action, then step back that power. Activate an opportunity or participate in a Transition Scene to recover that power.
Limit Gear: Shutdown MJOLNIR to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover MJOLNIR.

SPECIALTIES
d8 Combat Expert
d8 Cosmic Expert
d8 Medical Expert
d10 Menace Master
d8 Mystic Expert

MILESTONES
LAST, BEST HOPE FOR PEACE
Eons of galactic strife have lead to many intergalactic enemies, but only you can bring them together to fight the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you tell someone unfriendly that you only want to talk.
3 XP when you forge an alliance between two sides in conflict.
10 XP when you break an alliance to declare war, or when the alliance is broken by war being declared on you.

THE MIGHTY AVENGER
1 XP when you remark to a villain with a d12 in a Power Set that he is weak and choose him as your singular foe, a battle that will ring through the Nine Realms.
3 XP when you first use Second Wind SFX to recover from stress your chosen villain caused you.
10 XP when you either deal the blow that causes your chosen villain to be soundly defeated or see one of your allies deal that blow, pledging to sing of their mighty valor in the halls of Asgard

Note, I don't intend to play him as cranky as that preface up there would indicate, just wanted to quick explain why he'd be involved with Annihilation this time around.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hulk's here. Why is Hulk here? He's like Wolverine, he's pretty much everywhere.

Or, to be a bit more formal...

The Incredible Hulk
Every so often, Bruce Banner gets into one of his "I'd be better off dead" moods, and starts throwing himself into more and more dangerous situations in the hope that Hulk will finally be overcome. It never works, of course, as despite the odds, Hulk has survived everything from being shot into space to being drawn by Rob Liefeld. But, when extradimensional, omnicidal maniacs show up, Bruce is the first in line to be sent off because he hopes that this will finally be an end to him. And the Avengers agree to send him, because they know it won't.

Hulk Hate All This "Cosmic" Stuff!

(I know diddly-crap about the system, but if accepted, I'll do some reading up.)

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fun bit of canon, Leper Colon V, at about the time Annihilation starts, Hulk had been shot into space by the Illuminati with the goal of sending him to an uninhabited planet where he could rage to his heart's content.

So he was kind of in space anyway.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I just borrowed the book yesterday, but I might have to make a dude for this.

I have no idea what I'm doing but this should be fun!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

The Leper Colon V posted:

Hulk Hate All This "Cosmic" Stuff!

Hey I was just thinking of apping as Amadeus Cho, gone into space to look for the Hulk himself. The system is pretty easy to learn/use once you get the hang of it. There's a goon-created cheat sheet for how it all works someplace but I can't seem to find it. Here's a link from another site instead that I've found to be pretty helpful.

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=26213

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This does sound fun. I was just in the mood for something superpowered. I'll track down the books, and expect a Skrull here. A situation like this is probably enough to convince them to work with humans, and opportunities galore if any of the Four show up.

The real question is, regular Skrull, super Skrull or Super-Skrull...

Edit: Well, I've had a read of the main book and clarified a concept. I'm thinking a Skrull scientist, researching the Annihilation Wave and anything that might be used to stop them, and provide medical support for the rest of the team. This is in no way connected to experimental power-mimicry technology. Nosiree.

Anyway, it seems the Annihilation sourcebook no longer exists anywhere I can find it. I'll leave some blanks for Skrull stuff on the sheet.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 29, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Putting my hat in the ring and calling dibs on Ronan.

Edit: Adding the datafile!

RONAN THE ACCUSER
Ronan (Public)
D10 Solo D8 Buddy D6 Team

Distinctions:
Kree Supremacist
Wandering Exile
You Stand Accused!

RENEGADE ACCUSER
D8 Enhanced Reflexes
D12 Godlike Strength
D8 Invisibility
D10 Superhuman Durability
D10 Superhuman Stamina
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, and complications from heat, cold, radiation, pressure, or vacuum.
SFX: Judgment. Step up or double a Crime Master asset or resource for an action. If the roll fails, move the asset or resource to the doom pool at its normal value.
SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a Renegade Accuser power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the Renegade Accuser power for this action.
Limit: Cybernetically Enhanced Armor. Shutdown Invisibility and step back Godlike Strength to gain a PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.
Limit: Kree Patriot. Step up emotional stress inflicted from the Kree government or populace to gain 1 PP.

UNIVERSAL WEAPON
D10 Cosmic Mastery
D10 Energy Blast
D10 Supersonic Flight
D10 Transmutation
D10 Weapon
SFX: Absorption. On a successful reaction against an energy-based attack action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Universal Weapon stunt or step up a Universal Weapon power until used in an action. If your opponent’s action succeeds, spend 1 PP to use this SFX.
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Multipower. Add more than one Universal Weapon power die to your pool. Step back each Universal Weapon power die in your pool once for each die beyond the first.
SFX: Universal Forces. When including Cosmic Mastery in a roll to create assets or complications, remove the second highest rolling die and step up your effect die.
SFX: Unleashed. Step up or double any Universal Weapon power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Universal Weapon to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Universal Weapon.

SPECIALTIES:
D8 Combat Expert
D8 Cosmic Expert
D10 Crime Master
D10 Menace Master

MILESTONES:
Kree Weapon
1 XP when you threaten a criminal with the Universal Weapon.
3 XP when you use Universal Weapon to create a stunt.
10 XP when you either set aside the Universal Weapon to resign as Supreme Accuser, or take on a Kree ally as an apprentice so that they might wield the Universal Weapon in the future.

Supreme Accuser
1 XP when you condescend to or threaten an enemy of the Kree Empire.
3 XP when you create an asset so that an enemy can be brought to Kree justice.
10 XP when you publically execute an alien whose death will cause the Kree to become embroiled in a galactic war, or declare Kree law as unjust, set down your mantle as Supreme Accuser, and adopt the name Ronan the Free. (Which you better believe is going to happen, dammit.)

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Puppies are dicks posted:

Hey I was just thinking of apping as Amadeus Cho, gone into space to look for the Hulk himself. The system is pretty easy to learn/use once you get the hang of it. There's a goon-created cheat sheet for how it all works someplace but I can't seem to find it. Here's a link from another site instead that I've found to be pretty helpful.

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=26213

Are you thinking of this? Even if it's not, it's probably easier to look through at a glance than an rpgsite thread.

Also, you know what? Just going to put my app in this post. Why not.

quote:

Peter Parker hasn't been having a good time lately. He's taken part in a superhuman conflict that nearly tore the country apart, watched an old nemesis become the head of one of the top espionage organizations in the world, and made a few deals with unfathomable evils he would rather not talk about. That's why he's here, helping his old friends in the Fantastic Four monitor the Negative Zone. It's just some nice, quiet work that will get him away from the hustle and bustle of New York City for a bit. It'll give him a chance to unwind a bit. After all, it's not like an interstellar invasion is about to sweep through the galaxy or anything.

Spider-man
Peter Parker(Secret)
Solo d8 Buddy d10 Team d6

Distinctions:
Friendly Neighborhood Hero?
Wisecracker
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Spider-Powers
Enhanced Senses d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Strength d10
Wall-Crawling d6
SFX: Spider-Sense: Spend 1 PP to add Enhanced Senses (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice in a reaction.
SFX: Second Wind: Before you make an action including a Spider-Powers power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the Spider-Powers power by +1.
SFX: Spider-Tracer: Spend 1 PP or use an effect die to create a Traced complication for a target. You may track the target anywhere until the complication is removed or Enhanced Senses is shutdown.
Limit: Exhausted: Shutdown any Spider-Powers power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition scene.

Web-Slinging
Enhanced Durability d8
Swingline d8
Weapon d8
SFX: Grapple: Add d6 and step up effect die by +1 when creating a web-based complication on a target.
SFX: Web Constructs: When creating web-based assets, add d6 and step up effect die by +1.
Limit: Exhausted: Shutdown Web-Slinging to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition scene.

Specialties
Acrobatic Master d10
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Psych Expert d8
Science Expert d8
Tech Expert d8

I Hate This Cosmic Stuff
You come from a backwater world (like Earth). All of this galactic this and cosmic that is beyond your understanding.

1 XP when you take a simple approach to a cosmic problem.
3 XP when you make a roll to try to understand advanced technology or strange alien beings.
10 XP when you become an important figure in the universe, or reject cosmic importance in order to help your home planet.

Coping With Humor

1 XP when you crack a joke while inflicting stress on an opponent.
3 XP when you point out how absurd a situation has gotten.
10 XP when you either stop joking and declare the situation deadly serious or vow to retire the mantle of Spider-man forever.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Elfface posted:

Edit: Well, I've had a read of the main book and clarified a concept. I'm thinking a Skrull scientist, researching the Annihilation Wave and anything that might be used to stop them, and provide medical support for the rest of the team. This is in no way connected to experimental power-mimicry technology. Nosiree.

Anyway, it seems the Annihilation sourcebook no longer exists anywhere I can find it. I'll leave some blanks for Skrull stuff on the sheet.

Potatocubed, hope you don't mind my posting the Skrull template power set here:

Enhanced Stamina D8
Growth D6
Shapeshifting D10
Shrinking D6

SFX: Versatile. Replace Shapeshifting die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Mercurial Temperament. Gain a PP to step up emotional stress from taunts or insults.

Specialties:
Covert Expert D8
Science Expert D8
Tech Expert D8

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 29, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm thinking of doing a Symbiote character. (Not Venom, likely an original)

I was reading through This site which has a lot of Datafiles and Items.

I found this:

and I thought it would be pretty cool to do a character whose only real superpower was having this thing.

How "complete" is this? I know I have to do affiliations and distinctions etc. but in theory would this be OK as the basis of making a character?
I am thinking of making some changes away from a spider themed dude and more of a symbiote powered cross between Mystique and the T-1000.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Yeah, as mentioned by LifeGetsWorser the Hulk is actually somewhere in space at this point in the Marvel timeline. Also, as I recall he was king of the planet Sarkaar for a while before it was eaten by Galactus.

The game rules themselves are pretty simple, but when I wrote out an explanation it sounded like gibberish. I figure it'll be easier to explain as we go. Just remember the basic system is 'get pile of dice, roll dice, your total is based on the sum of two die rolls, your effect is based on the size of the die you choose, and you want both to be as high as possible'.

THE HULK
Dr Bruce Banner (secret)
Solo D10 Buddy D6 Team D8

Distinctions:
Man or Monster?
Engine of Destruction
Green Goliath

GAMMA-CHARGED GENETICS
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Godlike Durability d12
Godlike Stamina d12
Godlike Strength d12
Leaping d10
Mystic Sense d6

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Rage-Fueled Might. Add a die equal to your emotional stress to the doom pool to include your emotional stress in your next action. If your opponent includes your emotional stress in a reaction dice pool, step it up.
SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back physical trauma.
SFX: Hulk Smash! Against a single opponent, double a Gamma-Charged Genetics die. Remove the highest-rolling die and add another die to your total.
SFX: Strongest There Is! In a reaction against an opponent with a Strength power trait, spend 1 PP or step up your emotional stress to add a die equal to the opponent’s Strength to your dice pool.
Limit: Limitless Anger. When the doom pool includes at least 2d12 or you take emotional trauma, move all stress and trauma to the doom pool and activate Rampaging Hulk.
Limit: Puny Banner. When you recover all of your emotional stress and trauma, shutdown Gamma-Charged Genetics and revert to Banner to gain 1 PP. Take emotional stress to recover Gamma-Charged Genetics.

RAMPAGING HULK
When Hulk loses control, his strength and power escalate beyond the limits of any other hero, but he becomes an almost mindless catastrophic force. While manifested, the Rampaging Hulk uses the current doom pool in place of an Affiliation die for all dice pools, similar to a Large Scale Threat. Dice added to or spent out of the doom pool affect the Rampaging Hulk’s power. The Rampaging Hulk’s dice may be targeted like a Large Scale Threat’s Affiliation dice with successful actions against him reducing the doom pool. If the doom pool is reduced to two dice, the Rampaging Hulk reverts back to Banner and all emotional stress and trauma are recovered.

SPECIALITIES
Combat Expert D8
Menace Master D10

MILESTONES
YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY
1 XP when the Hulk warns an army or a team of super heroes to leave him alone.
3 XP when the Hulk smashes a building or monument to create a complication for those who will not leave him alone.
10 XP when the Hulk either causes widespread destruction and property damage as the Rampaging Hulk, or sacrifices something important to him when he leaps far away to avoid such a rampage.

HULK BUSTED
1 XP when Banner consults with another scientist about his condition.
3 XP when Banner creates an asset or resource during a Transition Scene that will affect the Hulk.
10 XP when Banner either hands himself in to the authorities so that he can be put in a facility where the Hulk cannot hurt anyone or uses his Science Master specialty to gain control of the Hulk once and for all.

BRUCE BANNER
Solo D10 Buddy D8 Team D6

Distinctions:
Don't Make Me Angry
Sarcastic Genius

SPECIALITIES
Cosmic Expert D8
Covert Expert D8
Medical Master D10
Science Master D10
Tech Master D10

--

ibntumart posted:

Potatocubed, hope you don't mind my posting the Skrull template power set here:

No problem. There's also a Scientist power set in the same book - you can add them together to get the base of a character, then tweak as necessary.

SCIENTIST
Cybernetic Senses d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Transmutation d10

SFX: Experimental Settings. Step up or double any Scientist power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
SFX: Better Living Through Science. When making a Cosmic or Science resource on an opportunity, step that resource up and recover emotional or mental stress equal to die size.
SFX: Energy Redirection. On a successful reaction against an energy-based action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Scientist stunt or step up a Scientist power until used in an action. If opponent’s action succeeds, spend 1 PP to use this SFX.
Limit: A Scientist Is Only as Good as Her Tools. Shutdown Scientist to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Scientist.

Specialties:
Cosmic Master D10
Science Master D10
Tech Expert D8

--

Error 404 posted:

How "complete" is this? I know I have to do affiliations and distinctions etc. but in theory would this be OK as the basis of making a character?

There's also a Symbiote power set in the Annihilation book, somewhat less powerful than that one, but yes, that would work as a base for a character. You'd still need affiliations, distinctions, specialties and milestones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, as mentioned by LifeGetsWorser the Hulk is actually somewhere in space at this point in the Marvel timeline.
Wolverine's been in two six places at once before, why can't the Hulk be? :colbert:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wolverine's been in two six places at once before, why can't the Hulk be? :colbert:

Hulk can be wherever he likes. We're just saying that it's not even a stretch to have him getting tangled in cosmic stuff.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Quite so.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

potatocubed posted:

The game rules themselves are pretty simple, but when I wrote out an explanation it sounded like gibberish.

You could cheat and link to PrincessWuffles's write-up like I plan to do when I start up a game:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&userid=66662

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I do not have access to the annihilation book, but I'll tone it down along with the changes I mentioned to not be so powerful.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

I do not have access to the annihilation book, but I'll tone it down along with the changes I mentioned to not be so powerful.

I wouldn't worry about that - given the level of some of the opposition in the book, a bit of extra oomph is no problem at all.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Augh, I gotta withdraw, actually :( Best of luck with the game, guys.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Right, thanks for those templates! Just what I needed. Name and background etc to come, assuming this all works.

Unnamed Skrull Scientist posted:

Affiliations
Solo 1d8 Buddy 1d6 Team 1d10
Scientists share information, and Skrull work well in teams, or other command structures. But in pairs, they spend more time watching out for betrayal, and plotting their own.

Distinctions
Proud Skrull Scientist
The Skrull empire is mighty, the oldest still alive in the Universe, it's said. But they aren't the best at making friends...
Observe and Adapt
It's how the Skrull have operated for centuries. But it can be slow work, and hard to respond to sudden changes.
We're (ac)counting on you
Everyone wants to see the Annihilation Wave stopped before it can reach the Skrull. But if the Project isn't working, the resources will go elsewhere. Somewhere that gets results.

Powersets
SKRULL

Enhanced Stamina D8
Growth D6
Shapeshifting D10
Shrinking D10

SFX: Versatile. Replace Shapeshifting die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Mercurial Temperament. Gain a PP to step up emotional stress from taunts or insults.

SCIENTIST
Cybernetic Senses d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Mimic d8

SFX: Experimental Settings. Step up or double any Scientist power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
SFX: Better Living Through Science. When making a Cosmic or Science resource on an opportunity, step that resource up and recover emotional or mental stress equal to die size.
SFX: Power Mimicry Apparatus: Select an observed powerset of another character. Step up Mimic.
Limit: Unstable Effect. While Mimic is stepped up, gain all the Limits associated with the observed powerset. If any of these limits are triggered, step down Mimic in addition to the other effect.
Limit: A Scientist Is Only as Good as Her Tools. Shutdown Scientist to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Scientist.

Specialties
Cosmic Master D10
Science Master D10
Tech Expert D8
Covert Expert D8
Medical Expert d8

Milestones
Observe
1XP when you scan or observe in detail someone for the first time
3XP when you use knowledge gained from observation to your advantage
10XP when you either observe someone so well you know things about them they don't, or learn things you wish you hadn't

And Adapt
1XP when you use Mimic on someone for the first time
3xp when you use Shapeshifting to infiltrate somewhere
10XP when you successfully usurp and replace someone permanantly or reveal your true self to the group you have infiltrated

Generation notes:
Changed Shapeshifting to d10. Given the Versatile effect, it looks like it was supposed to be that? Otherwise, why would you ever use 1d6 rather than 2d8 or 3d6?
Tech and Science were in twice from both sets, so I added Medical
Switched Transmutation for Mimic, and added the effects there. No idea if it works or not, but I think I convey my intention.
Could use advice on Milestones too. I think they work, but I could be wrong.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Elfface posted:

Changed Shapeshifting to d10. Given the Versatile effect, it looks like it was supposed to be that? Otherwise, why would you ever use 1d6 rather than 2d8 or 3d6?

Oops, yeah, my mistake! The powers should be Enhanced Stamina D8, Growth D6, Shapeshifting D10, Shrinking D6.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Don't think I'll be applying, but I will watch this game eagerly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm torn on whether or not I will have time to play but I really feel like I should be playing Cyclops' awesome dad. My milestones: "Kids? Screw that noise!" and "I'm gonna go to outer space to be a pirate and marry a cat."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Goodness, I almost forgot that!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Saving this space for a sound controlling, motorcyle-riding, glam metal as gently caress exiled space god of rock who had a brief fad-chasing solo series in the 80s before fading into obscurity until Annihilation gave him a chance for a comeback tour. Think Ghost Rider meets Songbird meets Lobo meets Dazzler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uVsviS92Fc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't know much about Cosmic Marvel but hey, here's a Cosmic-y character I do know that probably wouldn't know much about Cosmic Marvel either.

quote:

Karolina is tired of fighting. Less about her fighting, and more about everyone around her. Even as a kid she hated hearing her friends argue Pokemon versus Digimon or which boy band member was the cutest or all the other stupid things kids fight about. So it's easy to imagine how much more tiring the past two years of her life have been when the fights in her life escalated to her and her friends fighting The Pride, an evil superhuman organization headed by their parents and fights between her home race, the Majesdanians and the race of her fiancee, the Skrulls. Shortly after her and Xavin met they were sent away from Earth, together to Majesdanian/Skrull space, hopeful that their union would be a symbol of unity to quell the war. After a few months of Karolina getting accustomed to life on her race's home planet they were wed with many diplomats and generals of both races in attendance.

Unfortunately any ceasefires that were agreed upon during their marriage ceremony were discarded with the ink barely dry and the honeymoon hardly over. If anything, the war was more wide-spread and intense than it had been before they arrived and before long the safety of the two was called into question. The Majesdanians decided her old home would be a safer place for Karolina and Xavin, at least for the time being.

Karolina wishes she was coming back to Earth under more pleasant circumstances but she's glad to be away from all the fighting during the long voyage. Far away from any Majesdanian or Skrull territory and with space in a generally peaceful period of time, it's more than a safe bet that their transport ship won't come across any hostilities or danger.

KAROLINA DEAN
Solo d6 Buddy d10 Team d8

DISTINCTIONS
Earthling Among Us
Betrothed to Xavin
Teen Insecurity

MAJESDANIAN HERITAGE
d8 Enhanced Durability
d8 Solar Blast
d8 Flight
SFX: Sunburst. Against a single target, step up or double a Solar Blast die. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
SFX: With a Little Help for My Friends. Spend 1 PP to add a MAJESDANIAN HERITAGE power to another character’s dice pool before rolling. If that character takes physical stress, take d6 mental stress.
Limit: Lost My Charge. Shutdown any MAJESDANIAN HERITAGE power to gain 1 PP. Bathe yourself in sunlight for an extended period to recover the power.

SPECIALTIES
d8 Cosmic Expert
d8 Psych Expert

MILESTONES
IN IT TO SAVE LIFES
1 XP when you state the case that all lives are worth saving.
3 XP when you put yourself in direct danger to save someone’s life.
10 XP when you save a life that you know will lead to more death, or you’re forced to take a life to save many others.

PEACEMAKER
1 XP when you talk to a teammate in an effort to head off conflict before it occurs.
3 XP when you aid a teammate during a Transition Scene.
10 XP when you either explode at your teammates, dealing out stress because you’re unable to handle the pressure of keeping the peace, or take trauma as a result of maintaining the peace among your teammates.

Might need to change a Distinction or two and she might be a little under-powered for the stuff in Annihilation but I can think that over tomorrow.

(and yes, I do realize the difficulties of playing a peace-loving teen hippy during the Annihilation Wave of all events :v:)

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 30, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, I decided to do a MarvelTM Character instead of create my own:
==============================================
DEADPOOL
Wade "Kill All Bronies" Wilson

Affiliation:
Solo D8 Buddy D10 Team D6

Distinctions:
Merc With a Mouth
The Best At Doing Whatever It Is Wolverine Does
Cosmic Pain In The rear end

Power Sets:
Look Ma, I'm Cancer!
Godlike Stamina D12
Durability D10
Enhanced Strength D8
Enhanced Agility D10

SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back your physical trauma by -1.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore telepathy or mind control.
SFX: Little Yellow Boxes. If your Affiliation dice for an action is a D8 or lower you may borrow a D10 or lower from the doom pool, step it up +1, use it as an asset on that action, and return the dice to the doom pool.
SFX: Breaking the Fourth Wall. When one of your opportunities is activated to add a d6 to the doom pool, replace it with a d4. Spend 1 PP to do this to an existing d6 in the doom pool.
Limit: Ow! Change any Look Ma, I'm Cancer! power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.
Limit: Weapon X Whipping Boy. Earn 1 PP when affected by Weapon X specific Milestones and tech.
Limit: Unstable. Step up mental stress to gain 1 PP.

Needs More Dakka!
Weapon D10
Teleport D8

SFX: Surprise! In a pool including a Needs More Dakka! Power, replace two dice of equal steps with one die of +1 step.
SFX: BangBangBangBangBang! As Area Attack, add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Oops, Sword in Your Guts. Add a D6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up Physical Stress by +1.
SFX: Indiscriminate. Instead of spending 1 PP, add D6 to the doom pool to create a Needs More Dakka! stunt.
SFX: Two At The Same Time! On your next action or reaction, replace a Weapon die with 2d6.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Needs More Dakka! And gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover gear.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Covert Master D10
Crime Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

Milestones:
Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game
1XP – when you make Deadpool either help another character activate one of their Milestone triggers or prevent them from doing so, while referencing the Milestone by name.
3XP – when your antics put 2D12 in the doom pool, and they are used to end the scene in a way that is ridiculous or painful for Deadpool.
10XP – when you either help another player reach their Milestone, or get torn to pieces attempting to prevent them from doing so.

Step Three: Profit
1 XP when your business instincts apply to a non-business situation.
3 XP when a Business asset or resource you created is lost.
10 XP when you make a big enough business deal to be able to retire, or if you spend all of your money financing opposition to the Annihilation Wave.

Milestones (but, not really)
A Small Universe After All
The universe is vast, yet you keep running into people you know.

0 XP when you first declare that you have a history with a Watcher character in the current Scene.
0 XP when you cause stress on another character because of your past history.
0 XP when you betray someone you have a history with or you discover that your historical links run far deeper than you first knew.

NEVER CAN TELL…
0 XP when you first use your Unstable Limit in any Scene.
0 XP when you alter your pattern of insane joking to say something lucid, smart, and logical in the midst of super heroic chaos and weirdness.
0 XP when you arbitrarily switch sides in a conflict or reject a reasonable and attractive offer to remain with your allies.
====================================

I know I need another (cosmic themed) set of milestones, and I'm completely new at this and don't really know how anything works just from reading the books.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 30, 2013

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Really want to apply, but I have little knowledge of 616 continuity and pretty much zero knowledge of Marvel cosmic stuff. If that's fine, and you don't mind a strange character choice, I'd like to modify the Mysterio (Quentin Beck) datafile I created.

Just need to find a source of cosmic power that would fit him. I assume the Reality gem is off limits?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Brother Entropy posted:

Might need to change a Distinction or two and she might be a little under-powered for the stuff in Annihilation but I can think that over tomorrow.

Yeah, 'Alien Among Us' stood out as something that's a lot less relevant out in space, so you should probably switch that out for something else at least.

On the subject of power, you could leave her as is - MHR is self-adjusting to a large extent, and not everyone has to be capable of headbutting Galactus to death - or you could bump some of her powers to d10s and claim unfiltered exposure to cosmic rays makes her stronger. (Hell, it worked for the Fantastic Four.)

There's also the option to pick up new power sets and/or improve your old ones with XP, so if you pursue your milestones Karolina can still evolve into a force to be reckoned with.

Error 404 posted:

==============================================
DEADPOOL
====================================

I know I need another (cosmic themed) set of milestones, and I'm completely new at this and don't really know how anything works just from reading the books.

Choosing a cosmic milestone set is easy - just pick one from the list I posted in the OP and you're set. Because milestones are your main (almost only) way of getting XP, choose one that contains behaviour you can see Deadpool engaging in. 'Step Three: Profit' and 'Son of a Schma'Ag' are reasonably good fits, as is 'I Hate This Cosmic Stuff' (although I think a lot of people want that one), or if you want some absurd comedy you could take 'A Small Universe After All' and narrate how Deadpool once met the queen of the shi'ar at a singles bar in Queens or something.

Astus posted:

Really want to apply, but I have little knowledge of 616 continuity and pretty much zero knowledge of Marvel cosmic stuff. If that's fine, and you don't mind a strange character choice, I'd like to modify the Mysterio (Quentin Beck) datafile I created.

Just need to find a source of cosmic power that would fit him. I assume the Reality gem is off limits?

I looked up the Reality Gem and I think that might be a little too cosmic even for the Annihilation War.

Possible alternative? Mysterio found the Reality Gem, had it taken away by [insert cosmic good guys here] but somehow retains some of its power. (In the form of another power set, containing Transmutation and maybe some other reality-bending powers.) That means he can start the game locked in the Kyln (a cosmic prison and also power station built where two dimensions join together) which puts him definitely 'in space' rather than on Earth.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh my god, I love you Astus! Mysterio, the guy who famously pretended to be an alien, in space, fighting aliens. It's perfect!

Also: I had a (terrible?) character idea. I may make an application anyway, though I don't want to take a slot from someone else. Call me a backup. I'll post something if I can stat it up quick enough. Might be a laugh, at least.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

How Deadpool once met the queen of the shi'ar at a singles bar in Queens .

This is great, and kinda what I'm shooting for tone wise. I won't get annoying with it, but playing deadpool would finally be an opportunity to be monkey Cheese fishmalk and get away with it. :haw:

Edit: also going to use Step Three: Profit for my second milestone.

Edit2: I'm still going to act as though I have 'small universe after all' because even if I get no xp for it, it's deadpool as gently caress.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 30, 2013

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Elfface posted:

Observe
1XP when you scan or observe in detail someone for the first time
3XP when you use knowledge gained from observation to your advantage
10XP when you either observe someone so well you know things about them they don't, or learn things you wish you hadn't

And Adapt
1XP when you use Mimic on someone for the first time
3xp when you use Shapeshifting to infiltrate somewhere
10XP when you successfully usurp and replace someone permanantly or reveal your true self to the group you have infiltrated

Generation notes:

Tech and Science were in twice from both sets, so I added Medical
Switched Transmutation for Mimic, and added the effects there. No idea if it works or not, but I think I convey my intention.

Could use advice on Milestones too. I think they work, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the basic stats look good (although knock Shrinking down to d6), including the Medical specialty and Mimic. I'd change the Mimic SFX to something like...

SFX: Power Mimicry Apparatus. When mimicking a power you have previously observed in use, step up the effect die.
Limit: Unstable Effect. When using a mimicked power as an asset, you are subject to all Limits of the power set the power came from.

Also, I think because of the way the power sets are supposed to combine you could also boost Medical or Tech up to Master status.

And for milestones, what do you think of my edits here?

Observe...
1 XP when you learn something new about the powers of another.
3 XP when you use your Medical or Tech specialties to create an asset or complication based on things you have observed about someone.
10 XP when you make use of a terrible secret you have uncovered, or when you destroy your work in order to prevent others from discovering the same thing.

...And Adapt
1 XP when you use Mimic against a target you have never Mimicked before.
3 XP when you use Shapeshift to infiltrate an enemy location.
10 XP when you betray your allies to maintain your cover, or when you endanger yourself by breaking cover in order to aid them.

I tried to make them a bit more focused, and pin down the 'big decision' nature of the 10 XP milestones, while maintaining your initial design. Let me know if they're ok.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Also: I'm going to draw a line under applications here, since I've already got enough good material that it's going to be hard to choose.

Anyone who's already expressed interest should go ahead and finish up their character (or continue discussing it), and I'll make final decisions in a few days.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
hey Error 404, I know you're new to the game so I'm just curious - did you know there's an offical Deadpool datafile out of the Civil War book? It's similar (but not quite the same) as the one you've got there.

If you're into the one you've got there, that's cool. Just wanted to let you know since you said you're new to it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

ibntumart posted:

You could cheat and link to PrincessWuffles's write-up like I plan to do when I start up a game:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&userid=66662

I want to learn this system because I've seen several games running it and it looks quick, simple, and easy but holy poo poo I got confused as hell reading that. And now I wonder if quick simple and easy were the right words.

Some of it I understood, get a pile of dice, roll them. Opportunities I understood. That was about it. Changing distinctions to complications? How damage is assigned? All of that I kinda went :psyduck: on

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I've been working quietly behind the scenes on wrapping up a character today, since I didn't get to it until late last night, is it okay for me to apply or should I just toss it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Morand: It all falls together when you see it in action, trust me. But let's see if I can simplify it a bit more.

Every roll is an opposed roll. You have a pool of dice drawn from your datafile, usually one from each section. After rolling, you'll take three of those dice to get your result (the opposing side does as well). Two of those dice are added together and the sum compared with your opponent's. The third die is chosen by type: the number rolled doesn't matter, what matters is whether it's a D12, D10, etc. (This is called the effect die.)

If the two dice you added equal or beat your opponent's two added dice, you win. You take the third die, i.e., the effect die, and inflict it as stress or a complication on your opponent.

There's more to it (like using plot points, rolling opportunities, stunts, etc.), but that's the essential mechanic.

Potatocubed: You've seen my version of Ronan (part badass and part Mr. Bean), though I can grimdark him up, too, if that would fit better.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 30, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Edit: I too, can grimdark Deadpool as needed.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

hey Error 404, I know you're new to the game so I'm just curious - did you know there's an offical Deadpool datafile out of the Civil War book? It's similar (but not quite the same) as the one you've got there.

If you're into the one you've got there, that's cool. Just wanted to let you know since you said you're new to it.

I did not know that, but tbh, I am kinda digging the setup I have. That said, if there's any build advice or adjustment you want to offer I appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, as far as advice goes, nothing in particular. Your Deadpool's actually a little under-powered (or at least missing a power or two) compared to the official one.

Just for comparison's sake:

Marvel Heroic posted:

DEADPOOL
Affiliations Solo d10 Buddy d8 Team d6

Distinctions
Completely Unpredictable
The Merc with a Mouth
Totally Insane

Power Sets

TOYS FOR BOYS
Teleport d8
Weapon d8
SFX: Unnecessary Sales-Boosting Violence. Against a single target, step up or double a Toys for Boys die. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
SFX: They Can Cut Through A Tank…Honest! Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: I Can Use Two At Once! On your next action or reaction, replace a Weapon die with 2d6.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Toys for Boys power to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

WEAPON X AUGMENTATION
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Godlike Stamina d12
Psychic Resistance d12
SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back physical trauma.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore telepathy or mind control.
SFX: Breaking the Fourth Wall. When one of your opportunities is activated to add a d6 to the doom pool, replace it with a d4. Spend 1 PP to do this to an existing d6 in the doom pool.
Limit: Unstable. Step up mental stress to gain 1 PP.

Specialties

Acrobatics Expert d8
Combat Master d10
Covert Master d10
Menace Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

Milestones
NEVER CAN TELL…
1 XP when you first use your Unstable Limit in any Scene.
3 XP when you alter your pattern of insane joking to say something lucid, smart, and logical in the midst of super heroic chaos and weirdness.
<unauthorized user edit>: Great thing about this is not only do you get to be reasonable but it sets up an even better crazier joke for later!
10 XP when you arbitrarily switch sides in a conflict or reject a reasonable and attractive offer to remain with your allies.

MYSTERIOUS PAST
1 XP when you reference a past connection with another character, real or imagined.
3 XP when you put another character at serious risk in order to explore your past connection with that character.
10 XP when you discover a significant fact about your past and have a serious emotional or mental breakthrough, or you discover a significant fact about your past and decide it isn’t a big deal at all because mental breakthroughs are hard work.

• Locked thread