Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've been working quietly behind the scenes on wrapping up a character today, since I didn't get to it until late last night, is it okay for me to apply or should I just toss it?

Go for it - I figured there might be a person or two in your position, since it's the sort of thing I do as well.

On the subject of grimdarkness, I'm totally okay with levity - comics (and the games based on them) should be fun! Plus, my natural writing style runs to the grim, so injecting jokes from other sources would help balance that.

And thank you for explaining the rules, ibntumart. They do have a tendency to look complex when they're just poured out in a big text dump, but in play they're a lot simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Well, as far as advice goes, nothing in particular. Your Deadpool's actually a little under-powered (or at least missing a power or two) compared to the official one.

Just for comparison's sake:

Hmmmm, I might step up a power, but mostly I'm thinking of stealing a few of those SFX and the Unstable limit.

The milestones are cool/funny, but I plan on breaking the 4th wall just as a matter of course, and I feel like 'Don't hate the player...' is more team oriented, allowing me to play off of everyone else's stuff which should draw me into team stuff a lot more.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Yeah the milestones are just there because I literally just copied from my pdf. Milestones change a lot anyway, so, hardly a big deal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

or you discover a significant fact about your past and decide it isn’t a big deal at all because mental breakthroughs are hard work
Why did this system get cancelled, again?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, the basic stats look good (although knock Shrinking down to d6), including the Medical specialty and Mimic. I'd change the Mimic SFX to something like...

-snip-

...I tried to make them a bit more focused, and pin down the 'big decision' nature of the 10 XP milestones, while maintaining your initial design. Let me know if they're ok.

Those look good to me too, they fit what I was going for with more finesse for the system. Here is a (hopefully) finished character!

quote:

Jol'Ynne

Affiliations
Solo 1d8 Buddy 1d6 Team 1d10
Scientists share information, and Skrull work well in teams, or other command structures. But in pairs, they spend more time watching out for betrayal, and plotting their own.

Distinctions
Proud Skrull Scientist
The Skrull empire is mighty, the oldest still alive in the Universe, it's said. But they aren't the best at making friends...

Observe and Adapt
It's how the Skrull have operated for centuries. But it can be slow work, and hard to respond to sudden changes.

We're (ac)counting on you
Everyone wants to see the Annihilation Wave stopped before it can reach the Skrull. But if the Project isn't working, the resources will go elsewhere. Somewhere that gets results.

Powersets
SKRULL
Enhanced Stamina D8
Growth D6
Shapeshifting D10
Shrinking D6

SFX: Versatile. Replace Shapeshifting die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Mercurial Temperament. Gain a PP to step up emotional stress from taunts or insults.

SCIENTIST
Cybernetic Senses d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Mimic d8

SFX: Experimental Settings. Step up or double any Scientist power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
SFX: Better Living Through Science. When making a Cosmic or Science resource on an opportunity, step that resource up and recover emotional or mental stress equal to die size.
SFX: Power Mimicry Apparatus. When mimicking a power you have previously observed in use, step up the effect die.
Limit: Unstable Effect. When using a mimicked power as an asset, you are subject to all Limits of the power set the power came from.
Limit: A Scientist Is Only as Good as Her Tools. Shutdown Scientist to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Scientist.

Specialties
Cosmic Master D10
Science Master D10
Tech Master D10
Covert Expert D8
Medical Expert d8

Milestones
Observe...
1 XP when you learn something new about the powers of another.
3 XP when you use your Medical or Tech specialties to create an asset or complication based on things you have observed about someone.
10 XP when you make use of a terrible secret you have uncovered, or when you destroy your work in order to prevent others from discovering the same thing.

...And Adapt
1 XP when you use Mimic against a target you have never Mimicked before.
3 XP when you use Shapeshift to infiltrate an enemy location.
10 XP when you betray your allies to maintain your cover, or when you endanger yourself by breaking cover in order to aid them.

------------------------------------------

"This isn't easy to say.

My name is Jol'ynne. I have been given a mission by the Skrull High Overlords, near enough a mandate from the Emperor. It is to seek out weapons, power sources, assets, anything to use against the Annihalation Wave.

I may not have met you before, but I know you by reputation. At least... some of you. And if you stand with those I do know, then it stands to reason you are their equals.

The Wave is fast approaching inhabited worlds. Worlds with families. Children. And you call yourselves heroes...

You're going to make me say it, aren't you...

The Skrull Empire needs help. Your help. Help from the Shi'ar, the Humans, and yes, the Kree and more. There, I said it.

And if you think you can wait for the wave to pass us, and have one less rival for galactic domination, well... the Wave will be coming for you. And you won't have an army of Skrull to help stop it.

I shall not interfere with your plans. I shall be along to observe and assist. to identify assets, and ways they could aid the coming war. I shall require a laboratory, and can provide all manner of scientific aid, and support in reconnasance, intelliganece gathering and confrontation."

------------------------------------------

Tall, green, and a chin with several clefts, Jol'ynne is a Skrull. Her outward apperance carries little, and is dressed in a purple and black uniform with no pockets.

Her inward apperance is quite another thing. Instead of pockets, she has used her shapeshifting to carry around a toolbox of items inside herself, mostly various complicated or disposable tools. The simple ones can be mimicked with shapeshifting. Her right arm, head and upper body are taken up by a complex cybernetic implant.

Well, implant is probably the wrong word. There was no surgery involved in installing it, Jol'ynne uses Skrull shapeshifting to install it, and remove it for maintenence and upgrades. And, being Skrull technology, it shapeshifts with her and her uniform when properly fitted.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

The Leper Colon V posted:

Why did this system get cancelled, again?

Mostly because they didn't make enough money to keep the license. Now, I heard that Disney had unreasonable expectations, but there hasn't really been an official statement either way. At least there's still the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide, if you want to buy the rules.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, here's my (mostly) finished character, with quote-link back to my original posting.

Error 404 posted:

DEADPOOL
Wade "Lowtax" Wilson

Affiliation:
Solo D8 Buddy D10 Team D6

Distinctions:
Merc With a Mouth
The Best At Doing Whatever It Is Wolverine Does
Cosmic Pain In The rear end

Power Sets:
Look Ma, I'm Cancer!
Godlike Stamina D12
Durability D10
Enhanced Strength D8
Enhanced Agility D10

SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back your physical trauma by -1.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore telepathy or mind control.
SFX: Little Yellow Boxes. If your Affiliation dice for an action is a D8 or lower you may borrow a D10 or lower from the doom pool, step it up +1, use it as an asset on that action, and return the dice to the doom pool.
SFX: Breaking the Fourth Wall. When one of your opportunities is activated to add a d6 to the doom pool, replace it with a d4. Spend 1 PP to do this to an existing d6 in the doom pool.
Limit: Ow! Change any Look Ma, I'm Cancer! power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.
Limit: Unstable. Step up mental stress to gain 1 PP.

Needs More Dakka!
Weapon D10
Teleport D8

SFX: Surprise! In a pool including a Needs More Dakka! Power, replace two dice of equal steps with one die of +1 step.
SFX: BangBangBangBangBang! As Area Attack, add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Oops, Sword in Your Guts. Add a D6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up Physical Stress by +1.
SFX: Indiscriminate. Instead of spending 1 PP, add D6 to the doom pool to create a Needs More Dakka! stunt.
SFX: Two At The Same Time!:quagmire: On your next action or reaction, replace a Weapon die with 2d10.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Needs More Dakka! And gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover gear.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Covert Master D10
Crime Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

Milestones:
Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game
1XP when you make Deadpool either help another character activate one of their Milestone triggers or prevent them from doing so, while referencing the Milestone by name.
3XP when your antics put 2D12 in the doom pool, and they are used to end the scene in a way that is ridiculous or painful for Deadpool.
10XP when you either help another player reach their Milestone, or get torn to pieces attempting to prevent them from doing so.

NEVER CAN TELL…
1 XP when you first use your Unstable Limit in any Scene.
3 XP when you alter your pattern of insane joking to say something lucid, smart, and logical in the midst of super heroic chaos and weirdness.
10 XP when you arbitrarily switch sides in a conflict or reject a reasonable and attractive offer to remain with your allies.

edited milestone and SFX weapon die.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Changed Karolina's Alien Among Us distinction to the very creative Earthling Among Us and I'm gonna hold off on tweaking anything else.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
I think I could really go either way with Amadeus Cho re: grimdark or star-struck wonder. It'd be a fun thing to play out since underneath it all he's just some clever kid who wandered onto the super scene, and without a cosmic level force of joviality and awesomeness like the Incredible Herc around to keep him balanced he could really go in some strange directions.

From what I recall of the official data sheet he's already reasonably well designed. Could somebody with a copy of the book post it for me?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Puppies are dicks posted:

I think I could really go either way with Amadeus Cho re: grimdark or star-struck wonder. It'd be a fun thing to play out since underneath it all he's just some clever kid who wandered onto the super scene, and without a cosmic level force of joviality and awesomeness like the Incredible Herc around to keep him balanced he could really go in some strange directions.

From what I recall of the official data sheet he's already reasonably well designed. Could somebody with a copy of the book post it for me?

Amadeus Cho posted:

Solo d8 Buddy d10 Team d6

Distinctions:
Hyper-Focused
Mastermind Excello
Seventh Smartest Person on Earth

Power Sets:
QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS
d10 Superhuman Senses
SFX: Best Pal. Spend 1 PP to step up or double your Affiliation die when making a support action.
SFX: Brilliant Troublemaker. When creating complications, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: I Know I’m Right. If your pool includes Hyper-focused, step up or double any die in that roll. If your action generates an opportunity, add an additional die to the doom pool equal to your effect die.
SFX: Not a Problem. If your pool includes QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS, spend 1 PP to borrow a die from the doom pool for that roll. Then step back that doom die and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Gotta Feed the Brain. Shutdown QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity to recover QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS.
Limit: Kirby, the Coyote. Change Superhuman Senses into a complication to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Specialties:
d8 Cosmic Expert
d8 Psych Expert
d10 Science Master
d10 Tech Master

Milestones:
SEVENTH AND CLIMBING
1 XP when you discuss super science.
3 XP when you use Science Mastery to aid an ally during a Transition Scene.
10 XP when you create something that will leave a lasting mark on the world through super science or find a mentor among one of the top six smartest people in the world so that you can learn to be a better scientist.

WORLD'S SMARTEST ASSISTANT
1 XP when you give smart advice to an older super hero.
3 XP when you use Science Master, Tech Master, or Cosmic Expert to create an asset for an older super hero.
10 XP when you either take up a super hero identity so that you can officially be a side-kick or realize that you are too smart to be an assistant and gather a team of like-minded teen geniuses.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Allright, so my plan isn't quite coming together, but the short of it is...

The Cape,
The Ponytail,
The mountain of dead space Hitlers.

Space: Punisher

I have no idea how an AU mini series from the future would fit into Anihilation, but Space Frank is from a pretty wacky neighborhood.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 30, 2013

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Possible alternative? Mysterio found the Reality Gem, had it taken away by [insert cosmic good guys here] but somehow retains some of its power. (In the form of another power set, containing Transmutation and maybe some other reality-bending powers.) That means he can start the game locked in the Kyln (a cosmic prison and also power station built where two dimensions join together) which puts him definitely 'in space' rather than on Earth.

Well, there's no way I'm not using that idea. Here's what I have so far, still need to create milestones and come up with a third distinction relating to the fraction of the Reality Gem's powers he has. If anyone has some suggestions for either the distinction, milestones, or power sets, that would be helpful.

Even from the beginning, Quentin Beck, a.k.a. Mysterio, wanted only one thing: Fame. So when the opportunity came for him to pull off what he believed to be the largest heist in history, he snatched at it. And then Mysterio, widely regarded as one of Spider-Man's "lesser foes", stole the Reality Gem from Mister Fantastic. Rather than lording his newfound power over Earth, however, Beck thought bigger, and decided to spread his name throughout the cosmos.

For about five days, anyway, before he ran up against a talking raccoon who took him down with a space-bazooka. However, even though the Infinity Gem was knocked from his grasp, a fraction of its power remained with Mysterio. Since no one could tell if this power would fade away eventually, he was tossed into the Kyln just to be safe.

quote:

Mysterio (Quentin Beck)

Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Distinctions:
Desperate for Fame
Extremely Theatrical
New to this "Cosmic" Thing

Master of Illusions
Illusions d10
Illusory Duplicates 3d8
Transmutation d8
Reality Control d6

SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Fake Out. On a successful attack action against you by someone affected by an illusion-based complication, spend a doom die to ignore the effect die and remove a die from your Illusory Duplicates power. Recover Illusory Duplicates after a Transition Scene.
SFX: Convincing Illusions. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting illusion-based complications on a target.
SFX: Remnants of the Infinity Gem. When using Transmutation or Reality Control to create an asset, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Surge in Power. Step up or double Transmutation or Reality Control for an action, then add a die to the doom pool equal to your effect die.

Limit: Smoke and Mirrors. If your opponent obtains an extraordinary success when reacting against your illusions, gain 1 PP to deactivate all of your illusion-based resources and assets.
Limit: Uncontrollable Power. If your pool includes Transmutation or Reality Control, both 1s and 2s on your
dice count as opportunities, but only 1s are excluded from being used for totals or effect dice.

New and Improved Suit
Enhanced Durability d8
Gas Emitter d8
Flight d6
Senses d8
Invisibility d8

SFX: Puff of Smoke. Spend a PP to ignore immobilizing complications.
SFX: Knock-Out Gas. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting a Getting Sleepy complication on a target.
SFX: Personal Air Supply. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from exposure to vacuum or dangerous gasses.

Limit: Systems Malfunction. If hit with an EMP or electrical attack, shutdown New and Improved Suit to gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom Pool or participate in a Transition scene to recover.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert
Psych Expert
Menace Expert
Tech Master
Science Master

Milestones:

(Space) Quest for Glory
1 xp: when you introduce yourself in the most over-the-top manner possible.
3 xp: when either someone acknowledges your greatness without being prompted, or when you successfully take revenge for being ignored.
10 xp: when you either save a planet from the Annihilation Wave, or your teammates takke trauma because of your rash actions in achieving fame.

Irresponsible Cosmic Criminal
1 xp: when you use the Transmutation or Reality Control powers for a frivolous trick.
3 xp: when you add a die to the doom pool due to your Surge in Power SFX.
10 xp: when you either learn humility by asking someone to teach you how to use your powers or even give them up entirely, or take back what is yours and reclaim the Reality Gem.

Oh, and I was using this powerset for the Reality Gem for inspiration: http://thac0satmidnight.com/2013/05/04/the-infinity-gems-reality/

Astus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 3, 2013

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

potatocubed posted:

Go for it - I figured there might be a person or two in your position, since it's the sort of thing I do as well.

On the subject of grimdarkness, I'm totally okay with levity - comics (and the games based on them) should be fun! Plus, my natural writing style runs to the grim, so injecting jokes from other sources would help balance that.

And thank you for explaining the rules, ibntumart. They do have a tendency to look complex when they're just poured out in a big text dump, but in play they're a lot simpler.

Can I be the 'or two' on this? I was going to post mine last night but I've been sick with a cough and fell asleep instead.

e: well I have the thing here already so I'll just post it up, even if it is over the cut-off.

pre:
Gamora, the Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy

There are many things in the universe that are scary. The Badoon rampaging across huge swathes of the galaxy and
leaving you the last of your species is a fate none wish to bear. Doing something bad enough to cause the Nova Corps
to send a few centurions after you is something few relish bringing down upon themselves. Crossing the Shi'ar and
having the Imperial Guard hunt you down is almost a certain death sentence. And then there are things like Galactus,
a cosmic power so huge that it's sheer indeterminabilty is frightening. But the odds of one of these things coming
down and ruining your day is actually pretty minuscule, to be actively frightened of them is a little nonsensical. But
there are people who go out of their way to ruin your day. And you along with it. They are few and rightly feared,
people who can reach the most protected and well guarded and leave nothing but corpses in their wake. And among
them one name stands out. And that name is Gamora.

'Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy' isn't something you just earn. Gamora's skill in combat is infamous. Enhanced and
trained by the Mad Titan, she mastered every form of combat she was shown to become the best assassin in the universe.
And soon stood with new friends and allies and turned those skills against him after discovering his betrayal. It goes
without saying that she, like most people, despises the Mad Titan and all he stands for now. With Adam Warlock she
joined the Infinity Watch, guarding the Time Gem from those who would seek to misuse it. And for a time found that she
belonged to something … good. Something with friends and people she loved, something good for the universe; and putting
her skills to more than just assassinations.

But that was all in the past. Now? Gamora, though she would never admit it, is lost. She is without purpose in the big wide
galaxy, longing to have reason behind her actions again. To belong to something worthwhile. The Annihilation Wave
is seen by everybody as a danger unlike any other yet seen, but for her it's an opportunity. She can fight and she can win,
and standing with those who will fight and driving back these invaders just might give her life some meaning again. And
as for Thanos? Well, a little revenge always did feel good.

Affiliations
	D10 Solo
	D8 Team
	D6 Buddy

Distinctions
	Deadliest Woman in the Universe
	Needs to Belong
	Vanity Unfair

Specialties
	D12 Combat Grandmaster
	D10 Acrobatics master
	D10 Covert master
	D8 Cosmic expert
	D8 Menace expert

Power Sets
	Cybernetically Enhanced Assassin
		D8 Enhanced Senses
		D8 Enhanced Speed
		D8 Leaping
		D10 Superhuman Reflexes
		D10 Superhuman Strength
		D10 Superhuman Durability
		D10 Superhuman Stamina

SFX Area Attack
			Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a D6 and keep an additional effect die
		SFX Claws
			Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a D6 and step up physical stress inflicted
		SFX Focus
			If your pool includes a Cybernetically Enhanced Assassin power, you may replace two dice of
			equal size with one stepped-up die
		SFX Precog Tracking
			Spend 1PP or use an effect die to create a tracking-type complication for a target. You may track
			that target anywhere until the complication is removed or enhanced senses is shutdown
		SFX She Just Won't Quit
			Step up emotional stress to recover your physical stress, spend 1PP to convert physical trauma to
			emotional trauma
		Limit Twisted Upbringing
			Step up emotional stress to gain 1PP

Godslayer
		D10 Superhuman Durability
		D10 Weapon

SFX No Defence
			Spend 1PP on an attack action with WEAPON to prevent your opponent from using a
			DURABILITY power in their reaction pool
		SFX Spinning Death-Parry
			On a successful reaction against a physical stress attack action, inflict physical stress with your
			effect die. Spend 1PP to step it up
		Limit Gear
			Shutdown Godslayer to gain 1PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Godslayer

Milestones
	Dangerous Romance
		1XP When you flirt with another hero
		3XP When you either accept or rebuff the advances of another hero
		5XP When you break off a relationship to maintain your independence, or commit deeply to a monogamous relationship
	Trained by Thanos
		1XP When you discuss the assassination of an enemy
		3XP When you offer mercy to an enemy, rather than slay them
		5XP When you kill Thanos and end his terror once and for all, or offer him mercy
This is a sheet from the Annihilation book, but there's a couple of things with it. First the 'SFX Precog Tracking' isn't actually something Gamora can do. It was a side effect of her looking after the time gem for a little while, and stopped once she didn't have it anymore. At the time of Annihilation she hasn't had it for ages. And also in the comics Gamora has a healing factor, which isn't covered on the sheet here at all. Should I just leave it as is or is there room to tinker?

Robodog fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 1, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yep, that's the one. Thanks! If we're looking for an in-game reason for Amadeus to be out in space, maybe he got wind of the Illuminati exiling the Hulk and decided to hijack a planetary teleporter/FTL spaceship to go and save him?

Amadeus had always been too clever for his own good. First it was smart alecking his teachers, his guidance counselors, and bullies at any and all of the special academies he'd gone to. Then it was sass-mouthing his parents, who only really wanted what was best for him after all. But the biggest mistake he ever clevered himself into was that damned Excello Soap intelligence contest. He took it on a lark, just to see how far his smarts could go and what he got back for it was nothing good. A dead family, a blown up house, hunted by shady criminal organizations and probable MiB dudes alike, the only hero figure who ever did him any kind of good was the Incredible Hulk, who as it turned out was actually a misunderstood and hunted genius just like Amadeus.

He'd always wanted to do the Hulk a good turn for saving him that time in Utah, and when his advanced webcrawlers and pattern recognition software picked up some idle chatter between a defunct Stark Industries Satellite and the Baxter building he barely gave it any though before hacking into the feed to see what was up as he ate his crappily reheated convenience store breakfast burrito. Reed Richards and Tony Stark had gotten together and decided to shoot the Hulk into space, exiling him from humanity forever, those bastards! Obviously this was a crime for which there must be a reasonable and just answer. He wiped away the smudge of congealed fried beans and licked his thumb as he eyed the AIM science lab in the distance.

Amadeus Cho would go into space and rescue the Incredible Hulk.

quote:

Solo d8 Buddy d10 Team d6

Distinctions:
Hyper-Focused
Mastermind Excello
Seventh Smartest Person on Earth

Power Sets:
QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS
d10 Superhuman Senses
SFX: Best Pal. Spend 1 PP to step up or double your Affiliation die when making a support action.
SFX: Brilliant Troublemaker. When creating complications, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: I Know I’m Right. If your pool includes Hyper-focused, step up or double any die in that roll. If your action generates an opportunity, add an additional die to the doom pool equal to your effect die.
SFX: Not a Problem. If your pool includes QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS, spend 1 PP to borrow a die from the doom pool for that roll. Then step back that doom die and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Gotta Feed the Brain. Shutdown QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity to recover QUANTUM PROBABILITY AWARENESS.
Limit: Kirby, the Coyote. Change Superhuman Senses into a complication to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Specialties:
d8 Cosmic Expert
d8 Psych Expert
d10 Science Master
d10 Tech Master

Milestones:
SEVENTH AND CLIMBING
1 XP when you discuss super science.
3 XP when you use Science Mastery to aid an ally during a Transition Scene.
10 XP when you create something that will leave a lasting mark on the world through super science or find a mentor among one of the top six smartest people in the world so that you can learn to be a better scientist.

SUFFICIENTLY ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
1 XP when you explain a piece of technology.
3 XP when you produce an asset or resource using Tech Master or Grandmaster.
10 XP when you invent something that will change the universe for the better, or one of your inventions becomes a major threat to the universe.

If it's a little too broken to stack those two 1 XP milestones like that I could swap out SEVENTH AND CLIMBING for something Incredible Hulk-related? Culminates in finding/rescuing the Hulk from whatever crappy planet Reed Richards & Tony Stark have exiled him to?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 1, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

potatocubed posted:

Well then.

pre:
Galacta, Daughter of Galactus

Affiliations: 	Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions:	- Daughter of the Devourer
		- Emotionally Volatile
		- Unlikely Guardian

Power Sets	Power Cosmic

Cosmic Blast d12	Cosmic Supremacy d12
		Cosmic Senses d12	Godlike Durability d12
		Godlike Reflexes d12	Godlike Stamina d12
		Godlike Strength d12	Shapeshifting d10
		Space Flight d12	Telepathy d10
		Teleport d12		Transmutation d10

SFX:	Consume. If your attack action against
			organic targets includes Cosmic Blast, add a
 			d6 and step up the effect die.

SFX:	Cosmic Technology. When using the Power Cosmic
 			to create assets, add a d6 and step up the 
			effect die.

SFX:	Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress or 
			trauma from heat, cold, radiation, pressure, or 
			vacuum.

SFX:	Invulnerability. Spend 1 PP to ignore physical
			stress or trauma unless caused by magic.

SFX:	Multipower. Add more than one Power Cosmic
 			die to a pool. Step back each Power Cosmic power
 			die in that pool once for each die beyond the
 			first.

Limit:	Local Cover. Shapechanging can only be used
			to alter her sentient species and clothing.

Limit:	Cosmic Hunger. Step back all Power Cosmic
			powers by one step to gain 1 PP. Activate
 			an opportunity to recover.

Limit:	Issues! Step up mental or emotional
 			stress, trauma, or complications relating to her
 			self-worth or powers to gain 1 PP.

Limit:	Interstellar Travel. Teleport may only be
 			used across interstellar or intergalactic
 			distances.

Specialties	Combat Expert d8	Cosmic Master d10
		Covert Expert d8	Science Master d10
		Tech Master d10

Milestones	Rebellious Teenager-Equivalent

1 XP	when you comment or tweet flippantly
 			regarding cosmic or alien matters.

3 XP	when you resolve a planet-threatening crisis.

10 XP	when you oppose your father directly for
 			the galactic good or aid your father for the
 			galactic good.

Godlike Cosmic Omnivore

1 XP	when you discuss your eating habits or the
	 		gastronomic qualities of a particular species.

3 XP	when you consume biomass while still
	 		conforming to your strict standards of ethics and
	 		sustainability.

10 XP	when you find a way to resolve your hunger
	 		issues in the long-term without your father's
	 		aid, or turn to your father in desperation for
	 		help.

History: Any complex, energetic enough system can conceivably develop life; however, even the cosmic being known as Galactus never expected he would be such a system. Of course, there was the essential dilemma in eating for two, and eventually he ejected the creature that would become known as Gali. More intrigued than anything else, he shared fragments of his knowledge with her, but what he didn't give her was a fierce conscience. Able to survive on comparatively tiny amounts of life - though still a massive amount compared to biological creatures - Gali was horrified by her "father's" appetite. (Not the correct term, but she generally anthromorphizes it to avoid confusing lesser sentients.) Eventually, she fled, going to the one place her father might hesitate to tread - Earth.

Earth is a crossroads, overrun by all sorts of invasive species brought by literally hundreds of alien assaults or visitations. Generally speaking, she seeks to remove dangerous - and generally non-sentient - species from Earth's biosphere, as well as the occasional genetic abomination or biological weapon. Once again, generally non-sentient. At times she's instead worked to quietly defuse burgeoning disasters, in order to preserve her meal ticket. She dreads the idea of ending up like her father, gorging herself on entire worlds, and instead seeks means to feed her cosmic hunger in more positive ways.

Personality: Gali is much more human than her "father", and is fond of most sentients - at least in the abstract. It's more a position born out of moral righteousness than true affection, in face to face meetings, she tends to find most biological creatures slow and dull-witted from her perspective. Nonetheless, she still finds their art and technology fascinating, when she can pull herself away from her predatory tendencies. Much of her existence is built up on finding creative (and ethical!) means to assuage her hunger. As such, she tends to obsess on her food - and how it relates to her father - to an unhealthy level. Or maybe it's healthy for a cosmic beings, anthropomorphization is hard to avoid in these sorts of texts.

Abilities & Resources: Though even though she possesses only a tiny silver of the Power Cosmic compared to her father, Gali is a godlike being comparable to his Galactus' Heralds, though with far greater future potential. She can transform matter and energy, react at speeds far beyond those of most lifeforms, travel across the cosmos in a moment, is immensely strong and nearly unkillable, and so on. Though she has Cosmic Awareness, she tends not to rely on it, as tends to overwhelm her; her skill at "filtering" incoming information is dodgy at best. As a result, she often relies on local information networks and media just as much.

Gali retains her knowledge of Galactus' technology, though her grasp of it is the Celestial equivalent of a baking soda volcano. It's still mind-boggling to your average bipedal sapient, but she largely uses it to aid in her feeding processes more than anything else. Generally speaking, she doesn't leave it lying around, relying on compact technology she can create using the Power Cosmic instead. In theory, she could turn to her father for aid, but she is immensely reluctant to do so, and he is inclined to let her survive on her own merits, seeing this as a phase of sorts. Perhaps she'll come around in a few millennia.

Her sheet is pretty intimidating to lay down! But truth be told, it's largely based on the numbers for the Silver Surfer and the other heralds in Annihilation. I'm pretty new to Marvel Heroic, so if anything is entirely out of hand or could be handled better, I'd be glad to hear suggestions. Edit: added an extra limit at the last minute, Local Cover.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 1, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm just gonna throw this out there:

One is an aloof and fastidious devourer of all creation, the other is a hard partying merchant of death with an unhealthy Golden Girls addiction.

Coming this Summer:
Gali and Deadpool in:
Lethal Weapons 8: Cop Harder

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Robodog posted:

And also in the comics Gamora has a healing factor, which isn't covered on the sheet here at all. Should I just leave it as is or is there room to tinker?

I think most healing factors are classed as having big dice on Durability rather than removing Stress. So you 'heal' by not taking the stress in the first place and say you close the wound quickly, or lesser injuries fade away to make room for the new one etc.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Elfface posted:

I think most healing factors are classed as having big dice on Durability rather than removing Stress. So you 'heal' by not taking the stress in the first place and say you close the wound quickly, or lesser injuries fade away to make room for the new one etc.

Durability to avoid taking damage in the first place, Stamina to recover damage during Transition Scenes, and some datafiles have an SFX that's labeled Healing Factor. As I recall, that's basically spending 1 plot point (or doom die if a bad guy) to instantly recover all stress and trauma.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's spend 1 PP to remove physical stress OR step back physical trauma by one, at least on Wolverine's and X23's official sheets.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The Healing factor I have as Deadpool is 1pp to remove physical AND step back trauma -1

I'd imagine Wolverine types would be similar, and it seems pretty powerful.

Edit: this is according to the official DP datafile that Lifegetsworser posted for me last page.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 2, 2013

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I did see that Wolverine and Deadpool did have a healing factor on their datafile sheets, yeah. But I'm not super familiar with the system so I wasn't too sure on the specifics of it or anything like that. But yeah, removing physical -and- stepping back seems a little overpowered. The removing -or- stepping back seems more reasonable. But for Gamora hers did seem to be less of that kind of instant regeneration and more recover from almost anything over a little bit of time, which the stamina might actually cover.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Robodog posted:

I did see that Wolverine and Deadpool did have a healing factor on their datafile sheets, yeah. But I'm not super familiar with the system so I wasn't too sure on the specifics of it or anything like that. But yeah, removing physical -and- stepping back seems a little overpowered. The removing -or- stepping back seems more reasonable. But for Gamora hers did seem to be less of that kind of instant regeneration and more recover from almost anything over a little bit of time, which the stamina might actually cover.

It's not overpowered, really. Remember, physical stress is only one way to defeat an opponent, there's also mental and emotional stress, as well as complications. Plus, the only way to take trauma is to be Stressed Out, which prevents you from taking actions for the rest of the fight unless someone tries to heal you.

So, there's not too many times where being able to step back physical trauma would be as big of a deal as healing physical stress, and you can't use the SFX if you get stressed out either. Plus, Wolverine or Deadpool are just going to heal those injuries after the battle anyways, that's what they do.

That said, I'm not familiar with Gamora, so I don't know if she can straight-up regenerate wounds or if she just heals faster. The former would justify the Healing Factor SFX, the latter is just Stamina.

Edit: Also, the "recover physical stress" doesn't mean heal all of it, you just compare your Stamina die to your current physical stress. If it's equal or higher, the stress is gone. Lower, and it steps back by 1. So with Stamina d10, if you took d12 stress, then Healing Factor would only reduce it to d10.

2nd Edit: Actually, Gamora does have the Healing Factor SFX, just renamed to "She Just Won't Quit." Instead of just healing, you get angry as well.

Astus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 2, 2013

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
:siren: DECISIONS :siren:

It wasn't easy to choose the characters I'd most like to see eaten by bugs face down the Wave, but here's the list:

The Mighty Thor, as played by LifeGetsWorser
Amadeus Cho, as played by Puppies are dicks
Jol'Ynne, as played by Elfface
Karolina Dean, as played by Brother Entropy
Deadpool, as played by Error 404
Galacta, Daughter of Galactus, as played by Alien Rope Burn
Mysterio, Master of Illusion, as played by Astus
Ronan the Accuser, as played by ibntumart

Everyone else joins the queue as alternates should one of the players be unable or unwilling to continue.

My plan was to write up an opening post and get things going today, but suddenly my day's looking a bit full. I'll try anyway, and we should be ready to roll this evening or tomorrow.

Notes:
Mysterio needs another Distinction and another Milestone.

Deadpool's 'two at once' SFX should probably be scaled up to 2d8 instead of 2d6 to match his increased Weapon die.

...and I'm sure there was something else I was going to mention but I've completely forgotten what.

E: That was it: I'm totally ok with Amadeus Cho having a slightly cheesy combination of milestones, or a 'find the Hulk' one if you want to change them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

Deadpool's 'two at once' SFX should probably be scaled up to 2d8 instead of 2d6 to match his increased Weapon die.

Will do! Also, on reflection, I think I'll swap out Step Three: Profit for the official milestone that uses my Unstable limit.

It would mean I don't have anything officially cosmic, but still plenty to keep me going and useful with the team.

Also, how often are we shooting for posts? I can guarantee several per day, but I know others will have less opportunity.
I only ask because this game looks fun and I'd rather have things take longer than have people burn out or the game die.

Edit: Hell, it's good I'm playing DP, I never shut up, like really, someone is going to tell me to stop posting so much.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 2, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

After thinking it over a bit I'll swap out SEVENTH AND RISING with something Hulk-related since it's more fun to work towards a dramatic goal than :words: about science stuff all the time. How's this look?

SAVE THE INCREDIBLE HULK

1 XP When you take action to locate the Hulk's place of exile
3 XP When you find credible information regarding the Hulk or his location
10 XP When you meet face to face with the Hulk or rescue him from a dangerous situation

Error 404, personally I hope to be annoyed by your fourth wall breaking pop culture references daily. It's perfectly in character for Deadpool to just rattle on repeatedly where other people might be taking their time to think before acting so your style of posting might be totally awesome and fun.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Puppies are dicks posted:

Error 404, personally I hope to be annoyed by your fourth wall breaking pop culture references daily. It's perfectly in character for Deadpool to just rattle on repeatedly where other people might be taking their time to think before acting so your style of posting might be totally awesome and fun.

Just you wait until I find the BBCode to make yellow text. :wink:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Coming this Summer:
Gali and Deadpool in:
Lethal Weapons 8: Cop Harder

This will be the best or worst thing and I don't particularly care which. :downs:

Speaking of which, I need to pick a fake tweet generator.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This will be the best or worst thing and I don't particularly care which. :downs:

Yep, at least until I'm obnoxious enough for you to try eating me. :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Man, if anything would make a Whatever-the-hell-Galactus-is sick, it's that...

And thanks for the pick! I look forward to providing lots of science and totally not foreshadowing Secret Invasion every other post.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also. I'm a bad comics nerd. So I never got into it enough to read whole runs and the last comic I read with any regularity was the new Blue Beetle, and the Civil War tpb before that.

So...anything else is likely to go over my head, or be gleaned from wikipedia.

I read cable and deadpool back in the day, so I can pull off a good deadpool though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

Also. I'm a bad comics nerd. So I never got into it enough to read whole runs and the last comic I read with any regularity was the new Blue Beetle, and the Civil War tpb before that.

So...anything else is likely to go over my head, or be gleaned from wikipedia.

I read cable and deadpool back in the day, so I can pull off a good deadpool though.

Believe me, I'm in the same boat. Wikipedia all the way, plus I've read the Annihilation comics. (And some of the follow-ups: the Thanos Imperative was a pretty cool mini-series.) I'm going to be playing fairly loosely with Marvel canon here to start with.

And now, back to working on post #1.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Ha, Verily comrades, we shall have victory over these vile beasts! Let us see who shall be joining the MIGHTY THOR on this worthy errand!

potatocubed posted:

Amadeus Cho, as played by Puppies are dicks
Jol'Ynne, as played by Elfface
Karolina Dean, as played by Brother Entropy
Deadpool, as played by Error 404
Galacta, Daughter of Galactus, as played by Alien Rope Burn
Mysterio, Master of Illusion, as played by Astus
Ronan the Accuser, as played by ibntumart

Ah yes, young heroes Cho and Dean will surely be of use! And the Supreme Accuser of the Kree! A glorious warrior. Who else shall join Thor!?

...err, a Skrull scientist. Well, if any are worthy 'tis those whose homes are threatened. And...oh, the very daughter of Galactus!? Well, it is good to have such power on the side of righteousness! And...Mysterio...the err, the criminal illusionist. MYSTERIO!?

And Deadpool!? Truly this is the work of Loki, the fiend!"

Seriously though, awesome group. Looking forward to it MIGHTILY.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lowkey? You always get so worked up about this Lowkey guy. He seems pretty chill to me.

Little Yellow Box posted:

BA DUM PSSSHHHH!
I'll be here all week folks!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Yep, at least until I'm obnoxious enough for you to try eating me. :v:

Given Deadpool's relationship with Death and Galactus' relationship with Death, it would be the equivalent of eating her aunt's yappy (vicious, tumor-ridden) pomeranian, i.e. not the finest of ideas. But then, healing factors do always have interesting permutations for cosmic devourers on a diet...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ooooh, even if it's just an easter egg, I hope at some point we get to fight Lowtax (the south american Jaguarman that some goon wrote into an issue of something years ago that BSS shat itself over at the time)

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Error 404 posted:

Ooooh, even if it's just an easter egg, I hope at some point we get to fight Lowtax (the south american Jaguarman that some goon wrote into an issue of something years ago that BSS shat itself over at the time)

I'm really hoping that quote was in-character as Deadpool.

But I've never heard of that. That's awesome, I must go look that up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LifeGetsWorser posted:

I'm really hoping that quote was in-character as Deadpool.

But I've never heard of that. That's awesome, I must go look that up.

Y'know, the old 'have everything the player says count as IC' thing might be really funny here.

As for Lowtax, I very occasionally poke into BSS and lurk a couple threads, so I have no idea where or who to point you to, but I wanna say this was around 2008, maybe 07.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Believe me, I'm in the same boat. Wikipedia all the way, plus I've read the Annihilation comics. (And some of the follow-ups: the Thanos Imperative was a pretty cool mini-series.) I'm going to be playing fairly loosely with Marvel canon here to start with.

And now, back to working on post #1.

Annihilation is like the one comic Event from that mid-late 00s era that I never got around to reading back when I regularly read comics so it'll be nice to not have to worry too hard about what actually happens in the plot.

(I even read Annihilation: Conquest and War of Kings and those were terrible! But somehow I was too good for Annihilation proper)

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Given Deadpool's relationship with Death and Galactus' relationship with Death, it would be the equivalent of eating her aunt's yappy (vicious, tumor-ridden) pomeranian, i.e. not the finest of ideas. But then, healing factors do always have interesting permutations for cosmic devourers on a diet...

I'm pretty sure Galacta even considered cloning Wolverine's cells and making a Healing Factored planet to snack on to satiate herself. So there's always that possibility...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
WolvEgo the living planet!

Super excited to read about this wack cast going into space to punch bugs. I can field any canon question you care about, Potatocubed.

• Locked thread