Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Coaching Carousel 2013
This has been a very early carousel, starting in September, but has been only average in the number of open positions. We're starting to slow with Penn State and Louisville open, UT finally filled, and maybe only one or two more openings to go.

pre:
     school             in                  out                notes
1.   USC                Steve Sarkisian     Lane Kiffin        From Washington. link
2.   UConn              Bob Diaco           Paul Pasqualoni    Diaco was Notre Dame DC. link
3.   Miami (OH)         Chuck Martin        Don Treadwell      Martin was Notre Dame OC. link
4.   Florida Atlantic   Charlie Partridge   Carl Pelini        Pelini liked the coke. Partridge was DL coach as Arkansas. link
5.   Eastern Michigan   Chris Chreighton    Ron English        From Drake. What is this Basketball? link
6.   Wyoming            Craig Bohl          Dave Christensen   Bohl is coming off 3 straight FCS national championships. link
7.   Washington         Chris Petersen      Steve Sarkisian    From Boise State. link
8.   Wake Forest        Dave Clawson        Jim Grobe          Grobe falls on his own sword. Clawson comes from BGSU. link
9.   Boise State        Brian Harsin        Chris Petersen     Harsin comes from Arkansas State. link
10.  Bowling Green      Dino Babers         Dave Clawson       Babers comes from a good FCS team in Eastern Illinois. link
11.  Arkansas State     Blake Anderson      Brian Harsin       Anderson was UNC OC. link
12.  Texas              Charlie Strong      Mack Brown         Mack is a fantastic troll. Strong is from Lousiville. link
13.  Army               Jeff Monken         Rich Ellerson      Monken comes from FBS transitional Georgia Southern. link
14.  Georgia Southern   Wille Fritz         Jeff Monken        Fritz was at SHSU, took them to 2 straight FCS champ games. link
15.  UMass              Mark Whipple        Charley Molnar     2-22. Whipple returns after failing out of NFL and big college. link
16.  Penn State         James Franklin      Bill O'Brien       Franklin from Vandy. O'Brien left to the NFL's Houston Texans. link
17.  Louisville         Bobby Petrino       Charlie Strong     Strong left to coach UT. Petrino makes his return. link
18.  Western Kentucky   Jeff Brohm          Bobby Petrino      Petrino left for Louisville. Brohm was OC. link
19.  UAB                                    Garrick McGee      McGee says gently caress it, goes to be an OC at Louisville. link
20.  Vanderbilt         Derek Mason         James Franklin     Franklin left to coach PSU. Mason, Stanford DC, will win SEC East. link
Things to watch for:

UAB
How will the ghost of Bear Bryant screw UAB this year?

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Tennessee being angry about losing Lane Kiffin will never stop being funny.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

Tennessee being angry about losing Lane Kiffin will never stop being funny.

God, the reactions around here this morning in Nashville are incredible. Can't even imagine out in Knoxville.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Was totally not expecting Kiffin to get shitcanned during the year

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

It's time!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Laaaane Kiffin :smith:

Please let Franklin go to USC so I can stop hating Vandy and hate USC more

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Texas fires Mack Brown because he's old and stodgy and doesn't know what the gently caress.

They need some new blood. Young blood. Maybe someone who's been tested in the fires of the NFL, SEC, and PAC-12.

Texas. IT'S TIME.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm not sure my heart can handle a Texas loss to ISU, but at least if it if happens Mack will probably announce he's bowing out after this year. A loss to The Worst Team followed by yet another humiliation at the hands of OU and that hot seat turns in to a torch mob.

I still want to win but dear god someone make the bad man stop. The highly probably losses to OU, Okie State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU will all be so much more bearable if I know with certainty that change is on the way.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I hope Ed Orgeron stays as a head coach forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

God, the reactions around here this morning in Nashville are incredible. Can't even imagine out in Knoxville.

All the talk here in Knoxville was about Worley sucking as a QB in Jones' system, and now today everyone has forgotten that Tennessee played a game yesterday.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm not sure my heart can handle a Texas loss to ISU, but at least if it if happens Mack will probably announce he's bowing out after this year. A loss to The Worst Team followed by yet another humiliation at the hands of OU and that hot seat turns in to a torch mob.

I still want to win but dear god someone make the bad man stop. The highly probably losses to OU, Okie State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU will all be so much more bearable if I know with certainty that change is on the way.

I honestly see Texas losing to OU, Okie State, and TCU out of the teams you mentioned. Yeah, Texas is bad, but a bad team is still better than half the Big 12 pack this year. And there's no way Texas is losing to ISU.

Having said that, for a team that has its own TV network, who has the biggest recruiting advantage in the conference by far, who is Texas Football, even being "just bad" is inexcusable, so yeah, he'll probably be gone next year.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
After not buying into the SA hive mind belief that Kiffin blew goats for a living back in his UT days, I am happy to say that he does, without a doubt, stink it up. Still think he could make a good OC somewhere.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's depressing that Frank Solich can almost certainly outrun me in the mile

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Back-to-back atrocious performances against Akron and Connecticut have started some rumblings of dissatisfaction in the Michigan fan base. If their performance against ND turns out to have been a fluke, things could get interesting in Ann Arbor.

Basically, a lot of people are starting to realize that going from Rodriguez to Hoke was a largely lateral move. Hoke is a good coach, but not a great one, and going 8-4 at Michigan is going to get old.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Probably Magic posted:

I honestly see Texas losing to OU, Okie State, and TCU out of the teams you mentioned. Yeah, Texas is bad, but a bad team is still better than half the Big 12 pack this year. And there's no way Texas is losing to ISU.

Having said that, for a team that has its own TV network, who has the biggest recruiting advantage in the conference by far, who is Texas Football, even being "just bad" is inexcusable, so yeah, he'll probably be gone next year.

I don't think we do have a recruiting advantage any more, not until we have a new coaching regime. Next year's freshmen were in 3rd grade when we won our last championship. LHN doesn't increase our national exposure, it hides us away on a channel where nobody can see us. Our track record since these kids were in middle school has been mediocre at best. We've become a place where hyped, talented players go to fizzle out.

It's true that our athletic department has a gazillion dollars and Austin is an amazing city to be young in. But would you entrust your dreams of a football career to Mack Brown at this stage? You'd have to be an absolute fool.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't have any particular rooting interest as far as USC or the Vols go (although I usually root against USC kind of like with Notre Dame or the Yankees), but I'm loving the leaked details of the Lane Kiffin sacking. I envision the whole thing kind of going down like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WXToI4AYE

complete with a car in the parking lot with pre-prepared plastic bag liner in the trunk for the body.

HooverDam
Aug 16, 2004

Even this toddler loves Coach O:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycXuDxCZYQg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If it wasn't for the Lane Kiffin hilarity, the thread should be titled "No, you're not getting Chris Petersen"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What's the (realistic) next step for Kiffin? Mid-major HC, BCS conference OC, back to the NFL as position coach?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd think he'd get an NFL gig. Hard to imagine anyone considering him for a head coaching job for awhile, but there are some dumb ADs out there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Real Name Grover posted:

I'd think he'd get an NFL gig. Hard to imagine anyone considering him for a head coaching job for awhile, but there are some dumb ADs out there.

He will get picked up as an OC somewhere in the college game. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Texas OC after they hire whoever to take over for Mack.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hope he ends up some place way up north and cold since his wife bitched it was too cold in Knoxville of all places.

At least Tennessee was been right once

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 29, 2013

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So is it basically implied that Bobby Petrino is a candidate for any and all coaching jobs, save maybe Texas?

Also, money on Kiffin going to Dallas as part of their Wayward Home for Failed Head Coaches Whose Dads Were Good.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

GD_American posted:

What's the (realistic) next step for Kiffin? Mid-major HC, BCS conference OC, back to the NFL as position coach?
I wouldn't be surprised if he got a look as an NFL OC.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The thing is that I really can't see him as an OC, as playcalling was his single biggest failure while at USC. He was a great recruiter and really good at coaching up skill positions, but he couldn't really call the plays to take advantage of it. I mean, maybe he was just over adjusting to the college game, but his constant use of screens seems like it wouldn't work much better at the NFL level

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

C. Everett Koop posted:

So is it basically implied that Bobby Petrino is a candidate for any and all coaching jobs, save maybe Texas?

Also, money on Kiffin going to Dallas as part of their Wayward Home for Failed Head Coaches Whose Dads Were Good.

I loved Bum Phillips but let's be honest with ourselves

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Glumslinger posted:

The thing is that I really can't see him as an OC, as playcalling was his single biggest failure while at USC. He was a great recruiter and really good at coaching up skill positions, but he couldn't really call the plays to take advantage of it. I mean, maybe he was just over adjusting to the college game, but his constant use of screens seems like it wouldn't work much better at the NFL level

He has a reputation as a great offensive playcaller from his initial USC run and a famous last name. He's going to get looks at all levels because of that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jeffersonlives posted:

He has a reputation as a great offensive playcaller from his initial USC run and a famous last name. He's going to get looks at all levels because of that.

I mean, I guess if he goes somewhere that the HC calls the plays, he would a great fit since he can develop players very well. But I can't trust him to call plays

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So this might seem a little silly, but I'm hoping that UT has that awful, depressing season that everyone is expecting from them, but doesn't announce that they've let Mack go until after the Baylor game. Only reason? I want to be able to get cheap tickets to the UT v Texas Tech game on Thanksgiving and don't want to deal with the Mack Brown farewell tour factor.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Kiffin was successful at one thing: making UCLA hire a new coach. God bless lane kiffin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

YAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7wzhMvbzo

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
BigHerm was right: this was all part of the plan.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

So this might seem a little silly, but I'm hoping that UT has that awful, depressing season that everyone is expecting from them, but doesn't announce that they've let Mack go until after the Baylor game. Only reason? I want to be able to get cheap tickets to the UT v Texas Tech game on Thanksgiving and don't want to deal with the Mack Brown farewell tour factor.

If the Texas fans I know are any indication there will be no such factor. They are well ready for him to leave right now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

rebel1608 posted:

If the Texas fans I know are any indication there will be no such factor. They are well ready for him to leave right now.

Well, if he does the smart thing and announces his retirement, the entire fanbase will turn around and celebrate the good times while sweeping the bad under the rug. That's what I mean by the farewell tour.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Well, if he does the smart thing and announces his retirement, the entire fanbase will turn around and celebrate the good times while sweeping the bad under the rug. That's what I mean by the farewell tour.

The thing is if this was last year or the year before I would agree with you but the Texas fans I know are done.

I mean you might be right but I have to think the only way you'll have issues getting tickets is if Texas wins out til then and the Big 12 title he promised is still in the cards.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The funny thing is that Kiffin named his son Knox. He at least avoided the embarrassment of what he'd name another kid by using Trojan.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I totally thought I would be paying attention to this thread again, but Tim Beckman has literally done enough to retain his job another year already. Absent him getting caught dipping on the sidelines (again!) multiple times.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dear Texas Exes: I will contribute $20 if you hire Ed Orgeron.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This guy has an absolutely awful list of names:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000251997/article/jack-del-rio-among-top-candidate-to-replace-lane-kiffin-at-usc

Gil Brandt feels that Chip Kelly (with the show-cause) and 1st year head coach Kliff Kingsbury are in the top 5 candidates... What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kayakyakr posted:

This guy has an absolutely awful list of names:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000251997/article/jack-del-rio-among-top-candidate-to-replace-lane-kiffin-at-usc

Gil Brandt feels that Chip Kelly (with the show-cause) and 1st year head coach Kliff Kingsbury are in the top 5 candidates... What?

A lot of people think Kingsbury is the "hot new coach" that will be scooped up by a big school and will own bones. Not sure if thats accurate, but he does have significant success as an OC and seems to know what he is doing. He wouldn't be a terrible hire.

• Locked thread