Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Coach O will stay as coach this year. Next year get ready for MackBrownUSCFootball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hymen
May 12, 2011

rebel1608 posted:

If the Texas fans I know are any indication there will be no such factor. They are well ready for him to leave right now.

Texas fan here. Live in Austin. Somme fans are still delusional that "good ole Mack" can turn it around. He is a well liked guy here but many are now recognizing that doesnt mean he can coach and develop players. Hell even Earl Campbell ( considered a demi-god here) says its time for Mack to go. I for one think butter teeth should announce his retirement soon so the fans can quit hating on him. To the tech fan... you should have no problem getting tickets and you should hear plenty of boo's heading Mack's way.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
I think Mack Brown's probably done as an HC unless he thinks he has something to prove after this and finds someone willing to hire him. If I were him, though, I'd knock on some doors and see about getting hired as an AD; it fits his current skill set better and is less strenuous. I half assumed he would wind up staying at Texas and just taking Dodds's job when he moved on, but I think the consensus is too against him for that to be an option anymore.

hymen
May 12, 2011

HypnoCabbage posted:

I think Mack Brown's probably done as an HC unless he thinks he has something to prove after this and finds someone willing to hire him. If I were him, though, I'd knock on some doors and see about getting hired as an AD; it fits his current skill set better and is less strenuous. I half assumed he would wind up staying at Texas and just taking Dodds's job when he moved on, but I think the consensus is too against him for that to be an option anymore.

After hiring many diaz for defesnsive coordinator..its difficult to trust him to hire anyone in the football program. Much less make him AD so he can male a ton of crappy hires. Die hard fans have promised to burn DKR stadium to the ground if Maxk gets the AD nod.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

A lot of people think Kingsbury is the "hot new coach" that will be scooped up by a big school and will own bones. Not sure if thats accurate, but he does have significant success as an OC and seems to know what he is doing. He wouldn't be a terrible hire.

Except that he's already coaching at his alma mater and, for as popular as he has been with the media, really dislikes that process.

Plus, someone mentioned that USC is as tied with pro-style offense as TTU is with the Air Raid. I doubt they switch to a spread coach.

e: Kliff Kingsbury is a non-40 year old version of Mike Gundy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

kayakyakr posted:

This guy has an absolutely awful list of names:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000251997/article/jack-del-rio-among-top-candidate-to-replace-lane-kiffin-at-usc

Gil Brandt feels that Chip Kelly (with the show-cause) and 1st year head coach Kliff Kingsbury are in the top 5 candidates... What?

Kelly is show caused through the end of 2014, why are these rumors even popping up?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jeffersonlives posted:

Kelly is show caused through the end of 2014, why are these rumors even popping up?

Knee-jerk editorial "reporting".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

jeffersonlives posted:

deadlines, lack of thought or effort

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did Mack Brown lose his recruiting mojo these last few years too? I don't follow the Longhorns that closely but just seeing the names of brothers of former QBs and receivers on the roster didn't seem too reassuring to me, as if they weren't continuing to beat the bushes hard enough for new blood.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Especially for a school that just went through sanctions, why would they want to bring that on themselves again?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If I were forced by an editor to submit one of those brain-dead "candidates" columns, I'd at least slip in some what the gently caress ones like Buddy Ryan and Jeff Bower

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think the best outcome for everyone is Coach O goes on a tear, wins 8 straight, goes to the Rose Bowl, and we yaw our way into 2014

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zwabu posted:

Did Mack Brown lose his recruiting mojo these last few years too? I don't follow the Longhorns that closely but just seeing the names of brothers of former QBs and receivers on the roster didn't seem too reassuring to me, as if they weren't continuing to beat the bushes hard enough for new blood.

Well he passed on Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston. He kept starting Garrett Gilbert for what felt like 10 years and Case McCoy is still on the roster. So yeah his eye for talent these days could be called in to question.

e: the much bigger problem is that none of those guys would have been nearly as successful if they had played at Texas. The coaching system is a monumental failure over there, we have 19 returning starters and over the offseason we made practically all of them worse than they were last year. Mack Brown Texas Football is where talent goes to die.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 30, 2013

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
This is admittedly a third-hand anecdote, but very believable; according to Brock Huard, at least one NFL team owner has issued standing orders to his front office never to draft a Texas player, specifically because they are treated like "spoiled little princes" by Mack Brown and his staff, and by extension have poor work ethics and do not handle criticism well, constructive or otherwise.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kenny Vaccaro is kicking rear end this year for the Saints.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

HypnoCabbage posted:

I think Mack Brown's probably done as an HC unless he thinks he has something to prove after this and finds someone willing to hire him. If I were him, though, I'd knock on some doors and see about getting hired as an AD;

I would greatly enjoy the Mack Brown AD era at Texas mostly because it would be a wide open window for A&M to solidify recruiting. I doubt he'd hire a good coach.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Jon Gruden seems like a natural fit at USC. Hard to say if he wants to return to coaching though and do it at the NCAA level.

USC gets plenty of QB recruits and Gruden certainly loves QB's. All of them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HypnoCabbage posted:

This is admittedly a third-hand anecdote, but very believable; according to Brock Huard, at least one NFL team owner has issued standing orders to his front office never to draft a Texas player, specifically because they are treated like "spoiled little princes" by Mack Brown and his staff, and by extension have poor work ethics and do not handle criticism well, constructive or otherwise.

I remember when someone posted Texas football has a problem with their culture and they got laughed out of the thread.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Spacebump posted:

I remember when someone posted Texas football has a problem with their culture and they got laughed out of the thread.

I think that's bullshit. How can they perform worse if they are more comfortable? That attitude is from those "football is war" types. Those players need to be taught what to do , and Mack sucks at that, that has been his criticism for forever.

When the game was slower, he could have success because every played mattered more relatively, thus execution mattered more, which is helped by having talented players.

Colt Mccoy and VY were just exceptional, and masked this some, coinciding with OU getting their QB kicked off the team. OU is the only consistent point of reference we have, since OU and Texas control the Big 12 through politics or whatever, they are the only ones operating on equal footing. Mack gets blown out regularly by OU.

Femur fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 30, 2013

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Deteriorata posted:

Back-to-back atrocious performances against Akron and Connecticut have started some rumblings of dissatisfaction in the Michigan fan base. If their performance against ND turns out to have been a fluke, things could get interesting in Ann Arbor.

Shut up.

Hoke has at worst 2 years left.

Hoke going 11-2 in his first year is probably the worst thing that could have happened to him. He set very unrealistic expectations for the team and the players that were on the roster.

I've always said that I think next year is the year that they need to make a run and I haven't backed off of it. He needs at least 10 wins, next year.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 30, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

Jon Gruden seems like a natural fit at USC. Hard to say if he wants to return to coaching though and do it at the NCAA level.

USC gets plenty of QB recruits and Gruden certainly loves QB's. All of them.

I think USC is a high-profile enough job for Gruden, and I think he'd be a crazy-good recruiter, but that's all if he actually wants to come out of retirement.

PizzaDelivery
Jun 25, 2007
Not delivering pizzas since 1988
Paul Pasqualoni has been fired as UConn Football coach.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

This is the best news. Promote an interim for the year and shoot for Eric Mangini in the offseason.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Sock The Great posted:

This is the best news. Promote an interim for the year and shoot for Eric Mangini in the offseason.

I agree. They are really lovely. Time to hire Lane Kiffin

EDIT:
OC T.J. Weist, TE coach Mike Foley or DC Hank Hughes will be interim head coach

https://twitter.com/desmondconner/status/384678080201383936

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 30, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sock The Great posted:

Aspire to greatness y'all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So I know UConn is bad, but were they really "Fire the coach 1/3 of the way through the season and kiss your recruiting class goodbye" bad? Especially compared to expectations?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Optimistically posting in this thread in hope of staff and coordinator bloodshed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Thoguh posted:

So I know UConn is bad, but were they really "Fire the coach 1/3 of the way through the season and kiss your recruiting class goodbye" bad? Especially compared to expectations?

They are a really, really, really loving bad team. The stats (45.8 rushing yards per game, margin of victory of -14.5) and the narrative (lost to Towson, got blown out by Buffalo) as well as the actual product (they're loving unbearable to watch) all point to them being a dumpster fire.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
https://twitter.com/TheUConnBlog/status/384680596741828608

Kevin Ollie for Interim Coach.

Uconn has been TERRIBLE ever since Edsall left.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

updated OP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UConn if you want to bring Ferentz home I understand. It'll be sad, but he played there, I get it. Use some of that no doubt huge women's basketball money to buy him out.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

They are a really, really, really loving bad team. The stats (45.8 rushing yards per game, margin of victory of -14.5) and the narrative (lost to Towson, got blown out by Buffalo) as well as the actual product (they're loving unbearable to watch) all point to them being a dumpster fire.

Plus they have no recruiting to speak of so no loss there. Hey UConn it's not too late to drop back to FCS and take basketball back to the Big East...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

Yes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Charlie Strong. There shouldn't be any other names for the Texas head coach position unless Mack stays another terrible year and then we go after Chip Kelly.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Charlie Strong. There shouldn't be any other names for the Texas head coach position unless Mack stays another terrible year and then we go after Chip Kelly.

You're 2-2 and you just got over the hump against KSU, things are looking up buddy

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Even ignoring the show cause, I don't think Chip took an NFL job just to Petrino it

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sab0921 posted:

I honestly don't think he would even entertain that offer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I honestly don't think he would even entertain that offer.

I don't see it either. After a bunch of schools turned him down because he committed the horrible crime of having a white wife, he's got more than enough reason to stay with Louisville.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

UConn if you want to bring Ferentz home I understand. It'll be sad, but he played there, I get it. Use some of that no doubt huge women's basketball money to buy him out.

This would actually be the best solution for everyone. Ferentz pull a Tuberville, get a fresh start at a new school. Old school doesn't have to deal with knowing that they're going to fire their coach just as soon as they can afford the buyout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

I don't see it either. After a bunch of schools turned him down because he committed the horrible crime of having a white wife, he's got more than enough reason to stay with Louisville.

And millions of Papa John's and KFC Dollars.

kayakyakr posted:

This would actually be the best solution for everyone. Ferentz pull a Tuberville, get a fresh start at a new school. Old school doesn't have to deal with knowing that they're going to fire their coach just as soon as they can afford the buyout.

I don't think Iowa can or will be able to ever afford that.

• Locked thread