Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They absolutely could afford it, the program still brings in a ton of money. They just won't actually do it. I think it decreases with time, so they might be able to towards the end, but who knows. For all I know they're going to win whatever the dumb division they're in now is named (legends? i think it's legends) and this will all look silly. Every time he looks completely done he pulls a great season out of his rear end.

I'm still sort of torn on the whole thing anyway. On one hand I do think he's lost several steps and that we're probably stuck at like the Insight Bowl level at absolute best for the foreseeable future, but on the other he has a decent argument for the best coach we've ever had and was coaching for almost all my favorite Iowa memories. I really don't want to see it end ugly where everyone is completely sick of him, but it's probably headed that way.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There's already a little talk of Bill O'Brien leaving Penn State in the near future, but I don't see him leaving in less than two or three years from now. He's already gotten through the toughest part of the sanctions, so it doesn't make sense that he'd leave before given a chance to field a fully loaded team. There's probably no point listing him as a potential departure unless Penn State makes it past Michigan and Ohio State to go undefeated in October and the NFL coaching carousel picks up steam.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

They absolutely could afford it, the program still brings in a ton of money. They just won't actually do it. I think it decreases with time, so they might be able to towards the end, but who knows.

It's 75% of his base pay per year through the end of his contract, and that's actually increased over the last few years ($3,020,000 in 2009, $3,835,000 in 2012). Contract currently runs through 2020. That's a ton of money.

E: Other numbers per USA Today:

Total Athletic Budget (2011): $88,057,486
Football Revenues (2011): $44,656,833
Football Expenses (2011): $20,660,805
Asst. Coach Salaries (2012): $2,101,400

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 30, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

They absolutely could afford it, the program still brings in a ton of money. They just won't actually do it. I think it decreases with time, so they might be able to towards the end, but who knows. For all I know they're going to win whatever the dumb division they're in now is named (legends? i think it's legends) and this will all look silly. Every time he looks completely done he pulls a great season out of his rear end.

I thought it was something like 16 million or something. I am asking that as a fairly honest question, do they have the kind of liquid capital to front that?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I thought it was something like 16 million or something. I am asking that as a fairly honest question, do they have the kind of liquid capital to front that?

They could, but it's expensive to the point that they won't actually do it so it doesn't really matter. They'll fire the AD for giving him the contract long before they fire him.

DJExile posted:

It's 75% of his base pay, and that's actually increased over the last few years ($3,020,000 in 2009, $3,835,000 in 2012). Contract currently runs through 2020. That's a ton of money.

E: Other numbers per USA Today:

Total Athletic Budget (2011): $88,057,486
Football Revenues (2011): $44,656,833
Football Expenses (2011): $20,660,805
Asst. Coach Salaries (2012): $2,101,400

Yeah his pay goes up, there would just be fewer years to buy out later. Regardless, dude's agent is really really really good.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 30, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Regardless, dude's agent is really really really good.

Seriously. I hadn't looked it up until last year and god drat that was a phenomenal deal he got Ferentz. I think even with Urban's deal, he's still maybe the 2nd or 3rd highest paid in the Big Ten, and he's probably in the top 10 in the nation.

E: Yeah, 2nd to Urbs, just ahead of Hoke.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was still under contract for a few more years when they extended him too. The inital mega deal was totally fine; he was coming off three straight top 10 seasons and would have gone to the NFL without it. The last one made no sense. He wasn't a hot NFL candidate anymore (aside from the Pioli thing with KC, but I don't think that was ever all that serious), didn't really want to leave Iowa, and, as great as 08-09 were, they didn't need to jump the gun and lock him up for that long. Barta is really awful at everything except fund raising.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

So is the thing about Kiffin being left at LAX true or not? I heard it wasn't true yesterday, then heard ESPN saying it was true this morning.

I don't want to live in a world where it isn't true.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dijkstra posted:

So is the thing about Kiffin being left at LAX true or not? I heard it wasn't true yesterday, then heard ESPN saying it was true this morning.

I don't want to live in a world where it isn't true.

Everything I've seen from ESPN to Yahoo to Twitter says it's true.

Also for those of you interested in the inner workings of schools negotiating deals with coaches, The Dickinson Press has a very neat look into how NDSU retained Craig Bohl through some pretty unique provisions if he were to go to a big-time BCS team. It's a bit long but really worth a read.

Vod Kanockers
Nov 13, 2010

To think Germans were considered "organized".

R.D. Mangles posted:

YAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAWYAW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7wzhMvbzo

Tell 'em about it Jojo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7wzhMvbzo

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Don't know where to post this:

Lane Kiffin could lose his home:
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/and_now_for_kiffins_home_loan.php

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zwabu posted:

Did Mack Brown lose his recruiting mojo these last few years too? I don't follow the Longhorns that closely but just seeing the names of brothers of former QBs and receivers on the roster didn't seem too reassuring to me, as if they weren't continuing to beat the bushes hard enough for new blood.

We've recruited not so great QBs and receivers(Shipley excluded) while simultaneously ignoring the plethora of awesome running backs we have. We're still running an offense that relies on superior athletes to turn boring plays into big ones and we don't have those guys. Its like we never got rid of Greg Davis.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Thoguh posted:

So I know UConn is bad, but were they really "Fire the coach 1/3 of the way through the season and kiss your recruiting class goodbye" bad? Especially compared to expectations?

What recruiting class? OK, that's not fair, but recruiting has gone steadily downwards over Pasqualoni's tenure, along with everything else. You are invited to look over this article.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-28/sports/hc-uconn-football-buffalo-0929-20130

Notice how coach was complaining that all his receivers were freshmen? Well last year the complaint was about the O-line and the thinking was that this year with a little more seasoning they'd be dominant (OK, this is something Jeff Jacobs said, I was too out of it to seriously follow UConn last year). Then look back over the stuff about the run game and the sacks. Lyle McCombs is actually a pretty good (for UConn), if undersized back. Near as I can tell his talent has been wasted.

In fairness, Pasqualoni used to be a very good coach. But then again, the last player of his that made a splash in the NFL was Dwight Freeney.

I'm a little worried now that our replacement will be Turner Gill (our current AD is Warde Manuel, who hired Gill at Buffalo).

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Skeesix posted:

What recruiting class? OK, that's not fair, but recruiting has gone steadily downwards over Pasqualoni's tenure, along with everything else. You are invited to look over this article.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-28/sports/hc-uconn-football-buffalo-0929-20130

Notice how coach was complaining that all his receivers were freshmen? Well last year the complaint was about the O-line and the thinking was that this year with a little more seasoning they'd be dominant (OK, this is something Jeff Jacobs said, I was too out of it to seriously follow UConn last year). Then look back over the stuff about the run game and the sacks. Lyle McCombs is actually a pretty good (for UConn), if undersized back. Near as I can tell his talent has been wasted.

In fairness, Pasqualoni used to be a very good coach. But then again, the last player of his that made a splash in the NFL was Dwight Freeney.

I'm a little worried now that our replacement will be Turner Gill (our current AD is Warde Manuel, who hired Gill at Buffalo).

At face value UConn looks like one of the least appealing jobs in the nation. The athletic department has money, yes, but you're stuck in a garbage conference where your nearest rival is Temple, you play in a stadium a half hour drive from campus, you aren't good enough to beat up on cupcakes, but you're probably good enough not to schedule games people would watch.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jack Del Rio is ready to bring the crazy to USC. I have missed his antics since he got fired by the Jags. He will stay on with the Broncos through the season.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Jack Del Rio is ready to bring the crazy to USC. I have missed his antics since he got fired by the Jags. He will stay on with the Broncos through the season.

What is "his crazy"?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

What is "his crazy"?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1634325

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

What is "his crazy"?

He put an ax in the locker room and told people to chop wood with it. The punter almost took his foot off.

E: beaten by twitter superstar weed mouse

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He put an ax in the locker room and told people to chop wood with it. The punter almost took his foot off.

E: beaten by twitter superstar weed mouse

Jesus I'd forgotten about that :stare:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, how do you gently caress up chopping wood so badly your foot is anywhere near the axe?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Barudak posted:

Wait, how do you gently caress up chopping wood so badly your foot is anywhere near the axe?

Punter

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Barudak posted:

If you don't actually know how to chop wood I could see that happening really easily.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Barudak posted:

If I attempted to chop wood I would probably end up severing my spinal cord

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Barudak posted:

I suppose you could whiff so bad that the follow through gets you, but in all likelihood he wasn't chopping wood so much as screwing around because he's a punter with nothing to do.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Dodds is stepping down next year

Views: It has begun.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 30, 2013

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As I recall he missed the block of wood and hit himself in the leg. Which does not happen if you don't have a goddamn ax in the lockerroom in the first place.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doing some vacation searching?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Doing some vacation searching?

hah. Let me try that again

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

hah. Let me try that again

For the record, UT has already denied the report.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Did Mack Brown lose his recruiting mojo these last few years too? I don't follow the Longhorns that closely but just seeing the names of brothers of former QBs and receivers on the roster didn't seem too reassuring to me, as if they weren't continuing to beat the bushes hard enough for new blood.

The biggest problem Texas is having reruting wise is that they have way too much depth and it's being used against them. Other teams are pointing out that they could be kicked out the door once another star player commits to the team. All you have to do is look at former High School star players from Texas who are no longer on the team such as Traylon Shead, Darius White, and Connor Brewer. I know TCU and Baylor have been able to steal players away from Texas in the past few years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...2#ssStory759609

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

For gently caress sake. No no no cat as large as I can.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Dr Tran posted:

Don't know where to post this:

Lane Kiffin could lose his home:
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/and_now_for_kiffins_home_loan.php

This won't happen - they'll just deduct from his buy-out if anything. Lane Kiffin isn't going broke anytime soon.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I want Lane Kiffin to have had to hitchhike home from the airport because he didn't have cab fare.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

If you don't actually know how to chop wood I could see that happening really easily.

This is the correct answer. It's real easy for the axe blade to glance off the wood if you don't know what you're doing.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I've been a little insecure about Petersen staying in Boise, but when he didn't go after the Oregon job at Chip Kelly's departure, I started feeling a lot better about things.
If Oregon had gotten him, I would have been disappointed but I would have understood. USC though? Keep your filthy hands off.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

There's already a little talk of Bill O'Brien leaving Penn State in the near future, but I don't see him leaving in less than two or three years from now. He's already gotten through the toughest part of the sanctions, so it doesn't make sense that he'd leave before given a chance to field a fully loaded team. There's probably no point listing him as a potential departure unless Penn State makes it past Michigan and Ohio State to go undefeated in October and the NFL coaching carousel picks up steam.

He was pretty close last year to leaving for Cleveland. Now he can just say they'll be fine, he's not leaving them in a lurch.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Maybe Del Rio has learned his lesson and will get his team to get psyched up with Hulk Hands.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Crosspost from the aftermath thread: Austin American-Statesman Reports That Texas AD Deloss Dodds Will Retire In August 2014 after Dodds vehemently denied previous media reports that he would be resigning by the end of 2013. The timing of that makes no sense to me, but whatever, Mack will get one more season at most. No way does a new AD hitch his wagon to Mack and I can't help but wonder if they've got a line on a new AD who comes with a particular HC as a package or some crazy poo poo like that.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 1, 2013

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Show me people who unironically want Saban to come in as both coach and AD. Show me them dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

C. Everett Koop posted:

Show me people who unironically want Saban to come in as both coach and AD. Show me them dammit.

Nick Saban Athletic Director sounds like a bad fanfic for a man who wants to watch every sport in his school sacrificed at the altar of football. Not to mention I can't imagine the amazing press conferences this would ensue.

• Locked thread